• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Inno

Isn't the XRGB-3 scart input japanese standard? Which means the pinout is completely different from the one you bought. So some voltage was sent back to the Saturn on pins it doesn't expect to receive it.

If you are buying RGB cables for use with the japanese scalers make sure with the seller that it is japanese standard pinout and not euro scart. Otherwise you have to convert it first with an adapter like this http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/european-scart-to-japanese-scart-converter.html

Seik

Banned
Isn't the XRGB-3 scart input japanese standard? Which means the pinout is completely different from the one you bought. So some voltage was sent back to the Saturn on pins it doesn't expect to receive it.

If you are buying RGB cables for use with the japanese scalers make sure with the seller that it is japanese standard pinout and not euro scart. Otherwise you have to convert it first with an adapter like this http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/european-scart-to-japanese-scart-converter.html

Ehm, he actually bought a japanese SCART. Look at the link he posted.

I bought my cable from this guy.

Japanese Sega Saturn

TRUE RGB SCART CABLE

For use on a Japanese Sega Saturn console only.

THIS PRODUCT WILL NOT WORK ON EUROPEAN OR U.S. REGION CONSOLES
Can't be clearer than this imo.

EDIT: God damn, the thing costs something around $40...o_o

Jacqli

I am buying a secondhand PAL Saturn this Monday (if everything goes well), I am pretty excited because I have never owned one before.
Although the last posts gave me a question because I was sure of buying a Saturn RGB Scart cable...

This is the description of the item that I would buy:
-True RGB signal for superior image quality
-Also outputs a composite (AV) video signal in case you don't have an RGB compatible scart socket on your TV
-Stereo sound
-1.5 metres long
-For all model Saturns, including import consoles
-High quality cable, with copper wire spiral sheiling to help prevent external interference
-Brand new item.

The online shop is in UK so what do you think guys? Should I buy it? I want that because I want to buy more things there and they could share the cost of shipment.

Inno

Ehm, he actually bought a japanese SCART. Look at the link he posted.

Can't be clearer than this imo.

EDIT: God damn, the thing costs something around $40...o_o

No that's not a japanese pinout cable. Sellers not wording correctly is part of the problem here. The japanese cables aren't even called scart that's the european standard. The japanese connection is called RGB-21.
The cable he bought is a scart cable for japanese and US systems. The reason it's specified as being for US and JP is because sometimes the PAL systems have a slightly different pinout.

Yes Boss!

Yep,

Needs Japanese console to J-21. I ran into that last year. The one side is for Japanese NTSC consoles on the system side, then it is Euro Scart on the side that goes to the TV/XRGB. I had to rewire the Euro Scart to J-21.

I'm not sure why but nobody sells a full J-21 on both sides. Seems like all the Scart cables are tailored for Euro Scart....which makes sense since they are using the Scart terminology. Took me a bit to figure out.

For clarity sake I try to keep everything Euro Scart in my pipeline for the multiple systems since those cables are easier and cheaper to find, then use an adapter to convert the pinout to J-21. I even use a special adapter for my Mini.

Yeah the more I investigate, the more it makes sense. It's probably just a dumb SCART to JPN console conversion, without the SCART connector modified to RGB-21. Still, the way it is listed on Ebay makes it very easy to be mislead-ed and potentially break you shit up, just like it happened to me.

I bought a SNES to SCART cable last year from a similar seller on Ebay, explicitely stating that the cable was modified for Japanese super famicom (but he never said in his description that it was modified for RGB-21) and the cable ended up being a good one, with the connector seemingly modified into RGB-21. Guess I was lucky the first time but got shafted for this one.

As stated before, I have no way to test the RGB-21 port on the XRG-3 because I cannot find the damn SNES SCART cable I previously had.

Hightower

Banned
Well... now I have a system again..

Now I need to get some games. Ebay has all but dried up for game lots. Craigslist has next to nothing.

I think I'm going to start off with a common lot of things like the Virtua Fighters, Daytona, a lot of early run stuff.

GulAtiCa

How is the game Enemy Zero? I see that the NA version is basically no where to be found, yet the Japanese version is everywhere and cheap ($5). Is there a big language barrier?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
How is the game Enemy Zero? I see that the NA version is basically no where to be found, yet the Japanese version is everywhere and cheap ($5). Is there a big language barrier?

I love Enemy Zero. I have the American release. It has been a while since I played it, but I imagine the language barrier is pretty high.

It has a save system that most people despise. I loved it, but be warned.

Ziming

Banned
Has anyone here ever looked into a composite/s-video to component converter? My HDTV doesn't have S-video, only composite/component/vga/hdmi. I want to play my Saturn on my set, but I don't want to use composite. The device I'm looking at here is expensive.

http://www.svideo.com/svc2ypbpr.html

Any alternatives?

Has anyone here ever looked into a composite/s-video to component converter? My HDTV doesn't have S-video, only composite/component/vga/hdmi. I want to play my Saturn on my set, but I don't want to use composite. The device I'm looking at here is expensive.

http://www.svideo.com/svc2ypbpr.html

Any alternatives?

Well, there's this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You'll need a SCART cable to use it. It'll convert the signal to component, and should give way better results than the one you posted...and is a lot cheaper to boot! I've seen a lot of people recommend it online.

I might eventually get one of these myself, mainly for my Genesis/CD/32X...but only if I have a lot of extra money to throw away, as I could use that to buy more games instead. Hah.

Oh...yeah, from the posts above, I gather that you'll need to make sure you get the right type of SCART cable for your Saturn, or trouble might arise. Heh.

I swear to god sometimes Enemy Zero didn't detect my shots when the thing was right in front of me. That game is terrifying, but it can be annoying. Make sure you have a memory card and copy your save file, because you have a limited number of times you can load before you run out of retries and are forced to start over from the beginning.

Teknoman

3dgames fixed my legend of heroes, so thats cool. Also managed to win an auction on re1 english version. Original case, but missing manual. 25 bucks including shipping. Didnt think i'd get it for around the low end of what GulAtiCa recommended, or that no one else would try to outbid (two people did, but I guess that no manual made them a little less aggressive?) Of course now I need to find a manual so its not just an open blank lol.

Ended up replacing the other tv i bought for like 14 bucks that went crazy, with a 24 in Wega. Hopefully this one wont go nuts on me since its from goodwill too.

EDIT: I'm honestly excited to play the first, original version of Resident Evil, on a Sega Saturn no less. Only RE1 experience i've ever had was REmake and Umbrella Chronicles.

IrishNinja

found the segata game and a few others, cannot wait to test these out. so many j-only Sega AGES to hunt down as well.

EDIT: I'm honestly excited to play the first, original version of Resident Evil, on a Sega Saturn no less. Only RE1 experience i've ever had was REmake and Umbrella Chronicles.

whoah, this is pretty crazy! imagine someone playing SOTN the first time that way (or PC engine?). if you get a chance down the road, do play the GC remake!

ss_lemonade

whoah, this is pretty crazy! imagine someone playing SOTN the first time that way (or PC engine?). if you get a chance down the road, do play the GC remake!
He did say he played the remake already. Saturn version was also the first (and only) time I played the original RE and it was great game! Sure it didn't have the gouraud shading or whatever that technique the PSX used to smooth out 3d models was called (I remember the ending videos having them though lol) but it was still an awesome experience.

Teknoman

Posted in the BST thread about wanting to buy some Saturn S-video cables for a reasonable price. I think at least 25 bucks should do?

smbu2000

Sega Saturn is literally fucking dead :( Worse, I have no way to determine whether or not it also fried the RGB-21 (GAME-IN) port on the XRGB-3.

Fucking third party bullshit. I don't know what the fuck happened. If the seller accidentally sent me an EURO Scart cable instead or if there was some kind of short in the cable but all I know is that I need a new Saturn, a new RGB-21 cable and potentially have a dead game-in port. Bullshit!

Edit: the XRGB-3 appears to work fine so far using the component input (PS2). I'm just worried about the RGB-21 port.
Ouch, that's rough. I've heard stories of people frying the jp21 port on their xrgb3's by using a scart cable on it. (The framemeister xrgb mini is supposedly less sensitive.)
I hope yours survived. Do you have any other systems with a JP21 rgb cable to test on it?

Like others have said, it sounds like that RGB cable was wired for scart (seeing as the seller was in the UK it makes sense), but was made for imported systems. I.E. using you JP system on a European tv with scart.

Not all 3rd party cables are bad. I picked up a 3rd party cable for my JP Saturn that was more expensive than the official Saturn first party cable. The user reviews at Amazon JP for this one said it was better than the official one and had less noise. I paid about 4500 yen for it, but it's worked great for me. The cable cost more than I spent for my JP Saturn console.

Hightower

Banned
I need some help.. I have a system, but no games.

Any of you have some extra games you can sell me for a resaonable price? Common stuff is more than fine. Just need a kickstart to rebuilding my library

Hightower

Banned
Ron, have you checked out our own buy/sell page? ive seen a few decent priced saturn games in there recently!

I've been watching it. But it's a lot higher priced than I'd like. I'm trying to find small lots that I can buy for $20-30 that will have a few games in them.

Quality be damned I guess... just collection building at this point.

IrishNinja

i hear ya...we were just talkin bout this in the SNES collector's thread. keep an eye on ebay wholesale lots section (auctions, not BIN's) and your local craigslist man! also i use craigfind.com and hit up people outta state alla time, got some great deals that way & paypal having its current fuck the seller approach makes it way safer to buy nowadays

obviously local pawn shops/garage sales would be your best bet too if they're an option & you get lucky!

Dave Long

Banned
I played a bunch of Elevator Action II/Elevator Action Returns on the Taito Legends 2 PS2 collection. Super game! I love the original and this sequel is great.

What's the difference between the arcade release and the Saturn one that only got a JPN release? Anyone have it?

I played a bunch of Elevator Action II/Elevator Action Returns on the Taito Legends 2 PS2 collection. Super game! I love the original and this sequel is great.

What's the difference between the arcade release and the Saturn one that only got a JPN release? Anyone have it?
The Saturn version is probably the definitive next to owning the board. There were all kinds off issues with the roms used in the collections. The roms were shitty dumps and just poor emulation all throughout really.

PS2 - Machine gun is gimped. Doesn't autofire when you hold the fire button. Massive slowdown where there wasn't any in the Arcade and Saturn versions.

Xbox/PC - Lights don't go out when you shoot them. This makes scoring difficult as you receive bonuses on enemies killed on floors where the lights are out. Emulation is also poor through out.

I'm sure there are other issues, but those are the immediate ones that come to mind.

I have heard that the Taito Memories II collection in Japan doesn't suffer from any of this. Must have used better roms and emulation. However, I have never come across a Japanese copy to verify this.

If you had never played the original arcade or Saturn releasees, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. I personally can't play the "collection" EARs anymore. Just horrible all around.

Add: Oh, the Saturn has a bit of loading between stages but that's it. It is a fantastic port by VING, who was also responsible for some fantastic Taito ports in the 32bit era.

Dave Long

Banned
Thanks man. I've had my eye on Elevator Action Returns on Saturn for a long time now. Your post convinced me to put it on the short list, because now that I've played it in arcade form, albeit emulated, I really love it. I'm a sucker for anything even semi-spy related like that.

It's another series that could use a modern reboot right alongside Rolling Thunder.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite games of all time. A thinking man's run n' gun. I love how you really have to pay attention to everything that's happening on screen. It's almost like a shmup in that respect. Easily one of the best co-op games on the Saturn too.

As a bonus, you unlock a pretty damned fine port of the original Elevator Action when you beat the Saturn version of EAR.

Dave Long

Banned
It's a really cool game. I'm guessing like many of the Saturn's best that got stuck in Japan, the lack of 3D graphics caused it to stay over there. *sigh* :(

I was playing the Taito Legends 2 version with my 11 year-old son. He was really digging it and so was I. There's so much going on and yet it's just a really simple concept with a super cool setting.

GulAtiCa

Just got a Japanese version of Enemy Zero in the mail. Only cost me $5, so I was why not? I hope to find a American version eventually.

Kainazzo

I was contemplating starting a Sega ST-V collection (because what's better than Radiant Silvergun on a cartridge?) but...there's not really anything for it that I don't already have on disc. The only one I'm curious about is Terra Diver/Soukyugurentai.

Any consensus on this? I was thinking of getting the Otokuyo release on the Saturn, but is the arcade version the way to go? Moreover, is there any ST-V game you'd recommend over the Saturn version?

Collection thread? Collection thread.

U1v4dBHl.gif

Click twice for big.

Saturn stuff only:

And a shot of everything:

Vortex566

Finally picked up a Saturn, but only a PAL console. Am I right in thinking that I can use one of these Action Replay carts to play NTSC and Japanese games?

Valkyria

Banned
Sakura Taisen Script is fully translated in English, but there is no patch. you can find the translations on gamefaqs.

smbu2000

Just got some new Saturn games in the mail today. Yes, they are actually new as well and still shrinkwrapped. (The spine cards are a bit faded though on the side.) Steeldom, Reverthion, El Hazard, Mass Destruction and Tamgotchi Park.

I picked up Steeldom and Reverthion, just because they are Tecno Soft games and they were inexpensive. El Hazard just because...Mass Destruction looked fun from the videos I've seen of it. Tamagotchi Park because it was cheap and comes with a NEW power memory cartridge.

Top Bottom