• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

MikeMyers

Nice pick-ups!

I didn't like playing as Jacky because I'd miss out on Sarah's stage and theme.

Did anyone else love playing Ranking mode in VF2? I had no idea what to do to get a high ranking but I kept plugging away with trial and error anyway. Highest I got was I think a 2nd with Sarah and Wolf.

Yeah I know that feel.

Been going through the VF3 soundtrack, still salty about that. It's like the only reason I still go back to my Dreamcast.

Galdelico

Nice pick-ups!

Thanks!

Wow nice pickups! What's with the Rabbit hate on Gaf? Is there Rabbit hate?

Retro-GAF don't hate. :D
No, I remember I've been told it wasn't an especially arcade-accurate port, and that the zoom in the Saturn version was a proper disaster (which is true). When I asked about the game a few months ago, I've only been suggested against impulse-buying it at the price I found at the time, iirc, not against the game on the whole.

On the other hand, Sonic Council feels pretty good. Even though it can look a bit rough, at a first glance - mostly due to its artstyle, really - I'd say it's going to be the best 'girl fighting game' of its kind and era I've ever played (which includes Angel Eyes and the Asuka 120% series... I still have to pick up the two Advanced V.G. for the PS1).

AmyS

Dragon Force review & WD interview from Intelligent Gamer - January 1997. Plus some additional Saturn reviews.

FD5ZNir.jpg

Galdelico

Saturn GAF, I know you've discussed about Albert Odyssey alot, in the past, but I'd still want to ask you, would you recommend the game to someone who is not traditionally into Japanese RPG - but enjoys them from time to time - who is also looking for a playable/not excessively challenging experience, and would appreciate a solid 2D presentation?

I don't usually buy 'grails' or expensive games just because of that, but I found a good deal on the game, and I feel like I shouldn't pass, but Albert Odyssey sounds more polarizing than Rayearth, and for eache and every positive thing I read about it, I seem to find another one that makes me reconsider my potential purchase.

cj_iwakura

Great Vic interview there.

Did 'Serpent's Kiss' ever release? Never even heard of it.

Saturn GAF, I know you've discussed about Albert Odyssey alot, in the past, but I'd still want to ask you, would you recommend the game to someone who is not traditionally into Japanese RPG - but enjoys them from time to time - who is also looking for a playable/not excessively challenging experience, and would appreciate a solid 2D presentation?

I don't usually buy 'grails' or expensive games just because of that, but I found a good deal on the game, and I feel like I shouldn't pass, but Albert Odyssey sounds more polarizing than Rayearth, and for eache and every positive thing I read about it, I seem to find another one that makes me reconsider my potential purchase.

I loved it. It's a gorgeous game, quite challenging, and has a fun cast of characters.

We had a thread here, if you'd like more impressions:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47224116

gfs_14429_2_11_mid.jpg

gfs_14429_2_4.jpg

7GlgwzK.jpg

Galdelico

One major thing I'm trying to figure is, how badly the technical shortcomings (mostly the loading times, according to what I'm reading) get in the way, and prevent you to enjoy the game. That's quite important to me.

cj_iwakura

One major thing I'm trying to figure is, how badly the technical shortcomings (mostly the loading times, according to what I'm reading) get in the way, and prevent you to enjoy the game. That's quite important to me.

There will be loading times.

They will be significant.

piggychan

It's a nice looking game although nothing groundbreaking. The magical attacks at least have nice 2D transparency effects and some nice music too. I did encounter several game crashes during a play through and I can recall the last dungeon was looooong. You will certainly level up there in no time.

Galdelico

It's a nice looking game although nothing groundbreaking. The magical attacks at least have nice 2D transparency effects and some nice music too. I did encounter several game crashes during a play through and I can recall the last dungeon was looooong. You will certainly level up there in no time.

Thanks! Damn, that doesn't sound too hot.
Point is, I have this very nice deal on the one hand which I kinda feel bad to ignore, but on the other one I'm really not one of those who buy a game just because it's sought after and collection-defining, if you know what I mean.
If it was Rayearth, that would be a no brainer, as I love how luscious the game looks, and I'd grab it for it's graphics and art-style alone, but yeah, Albert Odyssey doesn't top that level of gorgeous, at least to my eyes.

piggychan

Point is, I have this very nice deal on the one hand which I kinda feel bad to ignore, but on the other one I'm really not one of those who buy a game just because it's sought after and collection-defining, if you know what I mean.
If it was Rayearth, that would be a no brainer, as I love how luscious the game looks, and I'd grab it for it's graphics and art-style alone, but yeah, Albert Odyssey doesn't top that level of gorgeous, at least to my eyes.

Just buy it I guess you can always sell it on once you've beaten it and you might even love the graphics in this game and perhaps my judgement on this game is too harsh...

gJ4pp6.gif

StevieWhite

Finally finished my Deep Fear mini-video. Started a new job while I was making this, so it took forever - not to mention something went awry with my cables and I developed a bad case of jailbars. Oh well. Regardless, hope you guys like it. FWIW, I enjoyed Deep Fear a lot, but there's just absolutely nothing scary about it. With some better scenario writing, this could have been a true classic - but it's fun for what it is.

https://youtu.be/sfE2-GifwvI

If you can get Albert Odyssey for a decent price you should do it, boyo!

Buy it
Try it
????
Profit!

IrishNinja

Lol, Intelligent Gamer? What a condescending fucking name.

yeah, but i'm down for that vic interview - thanks amy! also nice pickups at the top o' the page

*edit woow vic's always been vic, haha. just goes in on sony & especially the N64...amazing he thought they'd clear that gap, though. fun interview.

IrishNinja

also, CJ & co - leaning towards that Dragon Force playthrough in a bit, can someone just give me a primer of good stuff to know going in/what campaign is best to start with etc?

piggychan

also, CJ & co - leaning towards that Dragon Force playthrough in a bit, can someone just give me a primer of good stuff to know going in/what campaign is best to start with etc?

Hope I am right in this so here goes.

List of main characters:

• Wein of Highland
  • Teiris of Palemoon
  • Mikhal of Izumo
  • Leon of Topaz
  • Gongos of Bozack
  • Junon of Tristan
  • Reinhart of Tradnor
  • Goldark of Fandaria

The gross basics; The game starts of picking any of the above kingdom leaders. Wein is a safe bet for beginners.

Throughout the game you will also find hidden generals, some will be usurpers and uprisings and you will need to have do a weekly domestics and have audience with your generals and prisoners to see what is happening in your kingdom.

All these kingdoms are closely packed together so you may find generals or random groups either accidentally stumbling into your territory or just outright come with a full attack. Watch out for the Skull Children.

You will need to fortify your stronghold and level them up so they can hold more troops which you will need to recruit and replenish because if you don't some of your best generals can become captive and some may even turn against you!

With the troops there are:

Zombie class
Mage Class
Archer class
Soldier Class
Calvary class
Samurai class
Dragon class
Harpy class
Monk class
Beast class
Siren Class

Each troop class have strength and weakness so you will need to learn which to fight with whom.

Then there are troop formations and your general classes. When both sides the troops are depleted you may find your generals in a one VS one battle or they my flee! Sometimes it is a good idea to know when your generals should flee too!

v24Zln.gif

You can try and unite the whole island but.... and there is a but, you'll just have to play the game to find out :p

cj_iwakura

He helped on gameplay, I'll help on factions.

Wein: Incredibly easy. Very boring, story and campaign wise.
Junon: THE ROAD OF THE MIGHTY. Badass story, challenging campaign.
Gongos: Sheer hilarity. Modestly challenging.
Leon: Very difficult. Good story.
Teiris: Decent story. Frustratingly difficult until you get better generals. Teiris is a glass water pistol. She's trash for a long time.
Mikhal: Broken. Great story, real easy campaign, because Samurais > all.

The two hidden ones are respectively very easy and very difficult, though both hit the opposite extreme too.
(You can't play as Reinhart or Goldark until beating the game with one of the above six.)

Call me over when you start it. :p

StevieWhite

Junon is the way to go. By far the most fun. Mikhal is fun too.

Listen to CJ though. This is his area. Goldark campaign is a must when you are done.

EDIT: Zanon is your friend for power leveling.

cj_iwakura

One other hint on gameplay. Learned it 20(!) years ago, it still holds up.

Never run in. Let them come to you. Applies both to castles and battles.

Lure the armies out, then invade when the castle has a skeleton crew, otherwise they'll constantly restock. (And get used to deploying RIGHT after an invasion to finish them off if they run.)

In battle, defensive is always the way to go. The only time this won't work is if the enemy has mages or archers. They'll try and wait you out, and if you have a weaker troop, they'll probably wipe out your army and force a duel. (Odds of a Mage/Archer army defeating you entirely is really low unless it's Gaul or Scythe.)

Use a spell to thin them out, and only go in when you have the advantage.

Nudull

Banned
All I ever knew about Dragon Force is all the jokes people made about it sharing the same name as a certain power metal band. :p

It does looks nice, though. o.o

piggychan

I think there was a way to level up your generals quite easily. If irc when in selecting the battle, pick the general you want to level up send them in to attack but do not defeat the enemy general (sometimes other generals will want to go first and you may have to deny them). You should get to the point where you get to destroy enough enemy troops and then let the time tick away to the point where the enemy general will run away and you win the round. They should be able to escape and you can fight them another time and if you wish rinse and repeat and keep leveling up your generals so they can get to the point of having 100 troops. Although my memory is a little hazy...

Heyo,

Does anyone have Purikura Daisakusen? Is it worth the $550.00 its currently going for? I had that darn game in my amazon shopping cart 2-3 years ago and I swear it was only like $50.00.

What is going on with these prices as of late?

I love the power instinct games, especially Groove on Fight...but 550.00?

Purikura-Daisakusen-Atlus-Shooter-Saturn-Xtreme-Retro-4.png

Skulldead

Heyo,

Does anyone have Purikura Daisakusen? Is it worth the $550.00 its currently going for? I had that darn game in my amazon shopping cart 2-3 years ago and I swear it was only like $50.00.

if you didn't bought it at 50... no way it worst 550 ?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I got Dragon Force a few weeks ago. I have literally no idea what to expect from it, but I've always been under the impression it's one of the Saturn's best games.

I should really play it.

Heyo,

I have it on the STV board, it's no way worth 550. Ever. It's a fun isometric action game, competent but nothing outstanding.

Galdelico

I just checked for Prikura on eBay, there's one sealed copy which is priced around that amout, but that looks pretty random. The game, complete, runs for way less than half that price.

I hope you love it. I played it during a time I no longer had time or patience for traditional JRPGs, but I still fell in love with the game. One of the Saturn's best. Talking about it now is making me want to play through it again...

Totally understand, and... Let's see. In a way, it made me do exactly what I alway state I'd never do - which is buying collectible games just because they're collectible - so I guess at least there's something special about what I've seen of Albert Odyssey, that pushed me to break my own laws. :D

I just checked for Prikura on eBay, there's one sealed copy which is priced around that amout, but that looks pretty random. The game, complete, runs for way less than half that price.

Ahhh, so that copy was sealed? The game must be super rare, I can't find another copy of it anywhere. I remember 2-3 years ago everyone was trying to get rid of it.

Same with Elevator action returns. I bought that game for 25 buckaroos 3-4 years ago and now its SKYROCKETED in price.

I have it on the STV board, it's no way worth 550. Ever. It's a fun isometric action game, competent but nothing outstanding.

How hard is the STV board to track down?

Galdelico

Ahhh, so that copy was sealed? The game must be super rare, I can't find another copy of it anywhere. I remember 2-3 years ago everyone was trying to get rid of it.
Yep, at least the one I've seen is brand new.
But still, beware of those sellers who put their sealed items on ebay when the game is momentarily rarer, coming up with astronomical prices just because of that. Who knows what may happen in a week or two... Other 3-4 people could end up selling the same title in the same conditions for way less.

Also, when you look for games with Japanese titles on eBay, don't just try the exact spelling according to, say, Satakore. You can find no 'Purikura', but instead some 'Prikura', or 'Plikura'... It's not uncommon that especially Japanese sellers mistake the title of some of their games. Can't remember if I looked for Prikura or Daisakusen, but there are multiple copies available, atm.

Yep, at least the one I've seen is brand new.
But still, beware of those sellers who put their sealed items on ebay when the game is momentarily rarer, coming up with astronomical prices just because of that. Who knows what may happen in a week or two... Other 3-4 people could end up selling the same title in the same conditions for way less.

Also, when you look for games with Japanese titles on eBay, don't just try the exact spelling according to, say, Satakore. You can find no 'Purikura', but instead some 'Prikura', or 'Plikura'... It's not uncommon that especially Japanese sellers mistake the title of some of their games. Can't remember if I looked for Prikura or Daisakusen, but there are multiple copies available, atm.

Thanks for the heads up, mate. I just checked with incorrect spellings and found multiple copies at WAY cheaper prices than 550.00. The prices for that game are ALL over the place...Gonna try and pick up a cheaper copy.

Is the game worth 120-150? Does anyone know? I want all the power instinct stuff but that is still a tad bit pricey.

Same with Elevator action returns. I bought that game for 25 buckaroos 3-4 years ago and now its SKYROCKETED in price.

EAR was at $25 three years ago? I'd like to know where you bought it from. That game was consistently above $100 ten years ago.

Prikura, on the other hand? InfiniteNine and I were just laughing at that price the other day. No, it is not worth $550, it is not worth $50 IMHO either.

The pixel art's nice but the game's very ok and it's not one of the better shmups? Pick up a Taito shooter like Layer Section with that money instead, if you can't swing a Raizing game.

Top Bottom