• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Slermy

I wonder how they compare to the Genesis / Mega Drive ones. I have a set of those and despite being Infrared, they're still pretty good.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i love you sega

lmf802y.jpeg

edit

i recorded the move so this is what a 'super washington treaty' looks like.

I mulled about buying them, but the price tag ($150 for a receiver and one controller) had me running for extension cables instead pretty damn quickly. Besides, this way I can use some analog controllers as well.

Just a shame that the extension cables only come in black. White would've been nicer, to go with my white Saturn.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anybody have any recommendations on getting replacement foam inserts for Saturn and Sega CD games? I've looked at craft foam on Amazon but they all seem like the wrong thickness.

Anybody have any recommendations on getting replacement foam inserts for Saturn and Sega CD games? I've looked at craft foam on Amazon but they all seem like the wrong thickness.

If you want the exact same look, sorry cant help you, but if you want something that works great, normal bubble wrap folded 3 times fills the space perfectly, and can cut to fill the entire box instead of just the center section.

Do you guys think the value of Saturn games on the aftermarket will go down a bit once the new consoles are released? There are a couple high priced items I'm after and am wondering when I should strike. I see on eBay the same sellers trying to peddle the same rare games at the same insane prices all the time. For instance, the same 3 or 4 Taromarus have been listed for several months now. It's like they don't really want to sell them.

Seik

Banned
Do you guys think the value of Saturn games on the aftermarket will go down a bit once the new consoles are released? There are a couple high priced items I'm after and am wondering when I should strike. I see on eBay the same sellers trying to peddle the same rare games at the same insane prices all the time.

Things like that only happen if a HD-remaster\re-release of 'x' Saturn game comes out, even then it's not guaranteed.

Do you guys think the value of Saturn games on the aftermarket will go down a bit once the new consoles are released? There are a couple high priced items I'm after and am wondering when I should strike. I see on eBay the same sellers trying to peddle the same rare games at the same insane prices all the time. For instance, the same 3 or 4 Taromarus have been listed for several months now. It's like they don't really want to sell them.

I'm a pessimist, but once disc rot starts seriously affecting Gen 5 games, I'm sure the copies left still functioning will only skyrocket.

Yes Boss!

Well, I'm putting my Taromaru up. It will be an auction so it will fall where it goes. I'll probably list it tonight for a week.

I'm a pessimist, but once disc rot starts seriously affecting Gen 5 games, I'm sure the copies left still functioning will only skyrocket.
Call me a sceptic, but I have a hard time believing mass disc rot will really happen. If it does, I'm screwed, lol.

Taromaru: Thanks for the heads up Boss. A couple months back, I would have snatched that copy up real fast, but the Saturn rabbit hole is all too real and now my wallet is bleeding... I'll have a look.

Yes Boss!

Call me a sceptic, but I have a hard time believing mass disc rot will ever really happen. If so, I'm screwed, lol.

Taromaru: Thanks for the heads up Boss. A couple months back, I would have snatched that copy up real fast, but the Saturn rabbit hole is all too real and now my wallet is bleeding... I'll have a look.

I'll post a link once I list it. I actually forgot what I paid for it a couple years ago. Maybe $315. I think they sell for about $300. Lol, in today's retro market that is small. I'm also listing my Panzer. I'll probably put that up for a week...gives me this week to beat it!

did dragon force jump in price

i was thinking of getting it like 1.5 years back and I could've sworn it ranged around the 80-90 dollar area

jeremy1456

All I have to say about the Saturn is that it's the best Sega console ever released. The Dreamcast doesn't compare, and the Genesis falls short.

Don't even get me started on why the Master System, Game Gear, Sega CD, and the 32X don't match up.

oneida

All I have to say about the Saturn is that it's the best Sega console ever released. The Dreamcast doesn't compare, and the Genesis falls short.

Don't even get me started on why the Master System, Game Gear, Sega CD, and the 32X don't match up.
as a fan of shmups i think the genesis gives the Saturn a run for its money. 16 bit shmups interest me greatly, always such neat little ideas in a detailed setting. seems like the inverse of the genre nowadays - you gotta have a hook or something.

TheContact

I remember being really young with my brother who is 4 years older than me and our parents bought him the PSX and bought me the Sega Saturn and I remember playing the shit out of Virtua Fighter. What good times. This system was amazing. Guardian Heroes ftw! So glad it's on XBLA. I lost my Saturn sometime when I moved. =(

Yes Boss!

For me:

DC -----> Saturn --------->Genesis

I've got too much of a 16-bit SNES/SFC bias to overcome my personal stigma the Genesis has. Gonna rectify that. DC is when I absolutely fell head over heels in love with Sega. So much so that I missed the entire PS2 generation and only played the Cube. No loss, as I've got zero ambition to even check out the PS2 collection. DC was my system of choice since N64 was coming to a close and the GBA was a poor-man's SNES at the time (with a shitty screen to boot).

Saturn is a beast, though. Love the arcade angle. Absolutely ignored it during its lifespan except for Enemy Zero. Love all the shooters.

That said, Strider Genesis was on a whole other level. Mind-blowing at the time.

as a fan of shmups i think the genesis gives the Saturn a run for its money. 16 bit shmups interest me greatly, always such neat little ideas in a detailed setting. seems like the inverse of the genre nowadays - you gotta have a hook or something.
I own several Genesis shooters, but in my experience, the system isn't even the best of that generation when it comes to the genre: the Turbo/PC Engine has it beat.

I agree with your point about about the genre though. I also think it's pathetic that they are resorting to sexed up cartoon lolitas to sell the games now.

Ramune

For me:

DC -----> Saturn --------->Genesis

I've got too much of a 16-bit SNES/SFC bias to overcome my personal stigma the Genesis has. Gonna rectify that. DC is when I absolutely fell head over heels in love with Sega. So much so that I missed the entire PS2 generation and only played the Cube. No loss, as I've got zero ambition to even check out the PS2 collection. DC was my system of choice since N64 was coming to a close and the GBA was a poor-man's SNES at the time (with a shitty screen to boot).

Saturn is a beast, though. Love the arcade angle. Absolutely ignored it during its lifespan except for Enemy Zero. Love all the shooters.

That said, Strider Genesis was on a whole other level. Mind-blowing at the time.

For me it's Genesis<---Saturn<-----Dreamcast

I absolutely loved Sega's arcade games at the time. Especially my favorite game at the time (and still is), Outrun! So the concept of getting a Sega console wasn't exactly foreign for me. I actually wanted an Atari, Sega AND Nintendo IIRC. But my folks weren't exactly made of money either, so NES it was. I did have a cousin that owned a Master System, so it became a somewhat curiosity. But when the Genesis came into the scene and with that version of Strider (OMG! It looks JUST like that arcade game I would play at Ames?!!!!), I KNEW I had to have one. Didn't help my friend next door had one. Then there was Sonic and....yeah. I wasn't exactly subtle in my wants for a 16-bit Sega back then. ^_^;

Saturn was a whole other beast. I didn't get a chance to really play it much as everyone I knew either had a Playstation or N64. Remember going into a local Funcoland to inquire about a refurbished Saturn to later walk out with their last unit they'll ever recieve and a crappy scratched copy of Fighters' Megamix. Each new game I got was like discovering a lost tome I never knew existed and it'll forever be my 2nd favorite Sega system for just the sheer amount of pleasant surprises it gave me.

Dreamcast, by that time, I knew what I was dealing with. I love it too, but Genesis and Saturn are on a whole nother level. :)

cj_iwakura

I've played a MS, but I wasn't a big Sega fan at the time. I respect it, though.

Here's insanity time.

Saturn > Sega CD > Dreamcast > Genesis

1upmuffin

Didn't play my Saturn a lot until I picked up Fighters Megamix and that was a ton of fun with friends.

Also I want to try a Master System as well. I own a controller or two for it but not the console.

Yes Boss!

I've played a MS, but I wasn't a big Sega fan at the time. I respect it, though.

Here's insanity time.

Saturn > Sega CD > Dreamcast > Genesis

That Night Trap!

I'm kidding, of course. But I adored the Sega CD...far, far more than Genesis proper. I checked out of Sega at 32X, though.

Also, speaking of Strider is is hard to describe just how crazy that game was. It was like watching a cartoon (that you controlled). The only other game I ever felt that way with was when I first saw Super Mario Bros playing. Completely mind-blowing. Kinda quaint, now...but that is how those games first showed. Utterly remarkable.

Yeah, I remember those times when new consoles were coming out and you'd just salivate over every tantalizing screenshot of games that simply couldn't be done on existing hardware. I was too young to get that feeling with the Saturn or PS1, but seeing the Dreamcast shots, oh man. I had to buy every magazine that even hinted at Sonic Adventure. I remember awaiting the Gamecube and Xbox with similar anticipation (because the Dreamcast was dead by that point so why not). Same with the Wii, GBA, DS... I think the last time I was well and truly excited for new hardware like that was the 3DS. I was excited for the Wii U, too, but nowhere near as much. But PS4/One... well, Knack looks fun, and the lighting in that "Infiltrator" demo is great, but...eh.

I do miss those times when a game preview made me say "wow". I'm getting way too jaded...

Celine

Didn't play my Saturn a lot until I picked up Fighters Megamix and that was a ton of fun with friends.

Also I want to try a Master System as well. I own a controller or two for it but not the console.
I own a Master System (ver. 2) but I really never bother to play much on it.
Need to rectify that down the road.

I own the Red Box version. Pride and joy. I genuinely love that game.
Try Psychic Detective if you haven't.
It's the same concept but improved.

oneida

Here my Saturn starting library:

Basically picked up dirty cheap and good games (just 12 euro for the six of them).
I don't recall if I've already recommended you Last Bronx. I think I have.

But now I'm doing it again!

Celine

I don't recall if I've already recommended you Last Bronx. I think I have.

But now I'm doing it again!
It was that or Fighting Megamix (or maybe both :))

I have 4-5 more Saturn games in my "to buy" list but they are a bit more expensive than the above (but not by much).

Nice starter pack. If you're looking for an inexpensive shooter to add to the collection, grab Darius Gaiden or Layer Section.

I love the look of the gray J-Satun.

Celine

^
Yes, Layer Section is one of the games in my "to buy" list.

Is Burning Ranger playable if you don't understand japanese?
I read the voice-over tells you where to go or if the room is going to burst up...

^

I read the voice-over tells you where to go or if the room is going to burst up...

Yeah, it's not ideal if you don't understand Japanese. Some people disagree.

I have a JP Burning Rangers and the language barrier has resulted in a chore-like series of trial and error just to play the game.

At the end of the day, it was suffer through that or pay the insane aftermarket price for an NA release :/

oneida

^

It's strictly navigation.

imo the game is not good enough to warrant the US price.

I managed to find my old copy Popful Mail, so I'll probably try a full run of that for Extra Life this year. Haven't dusted off this disc in a decade.

I BIFFED IT

Top Bottom