• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to revive major IPs, be more multiplat/global, make bigger games, Sonic: NA dev?

Hilarion

Just a warning:

Two old IPs returning over the course of the next 3 years would qualify as "reviving old IPs before 2020."

Opa-Pa

Surely this means they'll get Ancient to make a new SoR in the same vein as Sonic Mania and that they'll either bring back OutRun 2 or get Sumo to make a new one, right?

Pachael

Sounds good: IP focus, multi-channel development (consoles, PC, mobile). Even the 'effective development of game engines' sounds promising. A move to UE4 etc? Either way they seems to be 2-3 years behind Namco Bandai.
Sounds interesting: Sonic as a North American brand (you'd think Sonic Forces/Mania would be mentioned in FY2018, but I didn't see anything there)
Sounds dubious: Well, does anybody really think Sega Japan, Sega Europe and Atlus USA will start to co-ordinate IP marketing, release and development? (e.g. Streaming restriction kerfuffles, BZZZZZ, focus mainly on device-specific thus far, wait and see in terms of releases - the Valkyrie remastered remastered situation was bad, and the lack of an idea to digitally or otherwise re-release the remastered PC versions on current-gen consoles is money left on the table and vice versa with some current-gen games not on PC)
Sounds foreboding: With amusement and pachi market declining, they're putting their chips in the IR game long term from FY2021. Considering the issues in the region on gambling per se and the number of existing entrants in Macau et al will make it difficult for them to get traction.

Shin-Ra

It's time.
14041819537_113245af01_o.png

Delstius

Revival of major IPs
Expand overseas publishing business

Well that's a step in the right direction. There's so many great IP they're sleeping on, at least they have the luxury of choice.

Persona 2 remake for PS4, please. (Assuming Sega actually has any sway over Atlus's decisions, and that Atlus even has the bandwidth to tackle it.)

A new Valkyria Chronicles on a home console would be nice, too.

RedSwirl

I'm trying to think of what would actually make the mot sense business-wise.

The first thing that comes to mind is VF6, probably launched on PC an consoles as a continuous service. It's been time for another VF in today's world of fighting games.

You think they could do more Shining RPGs on PC?

Virtua Tennis?

Other arcade sports games?

Orayn

Virtua Fighter was the first thing that came to mind for me, the genre is in a pretty good place right now and I'm sure people would be excited to have it back.

They could also really embarrass Capcom if they released a new one with all the full-featured SP and training stuff of previous entries.

ezekial45

Banned
You know what, I think Obsidian would make a fucking killer Jet Set Radio Action/RPG game. That'd be lovely.

Hell, let them have Panzer Dragoon as well.

Top Bottom