• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega were Pissed at the 3D S&K, so how will they respond to it being PLAYABLE?

Nabs

Sonic looks great here. Loving the animations. I'm gonna go watch some Sonic 4 footage and laugh.
cry

Let me in

The clutter can be fixed, it's the physics that are of interest to me. They seem to be more accurate than anything Sega has put out in years.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Graphics are nice. Certainly it is a matter of opinion as to which style people prefer. I happen to think the fan project looks nicer than Sonic 4...but that Mushroom Hill render/demo/whatever is the best. Agree w/ the comments about the contrast adjustments.

Gameplay wise...the physics/momentum in the fan project, while not perfect, seem leaps and bounds ahead of Sonic 4 in terms of replicating the feel of the classic games. Plus, Sonic doesn't uncurl out of a ball after riding up the side of a wall thus forcing people to use the homing attack to avoid taking damage (and losing control of Sonic in the process). I'd have to give the nod to the fan project here as well.

Azure J

You know, I think I can agree with both sides of the "cluttered vs. non-cluttered" debate here. In one way, this remake reminds me of Sonic 3, or more specifically a 2D 3D rendition of Sonic arriving on Angel Island. There were a lot of awesome effects during that transition for the time and it seems as though this fan game wanted to incorporate a lot of that into the art design for the game. The problem here is that the actual assets at times are too distracting by virtue of either being too big, too glossy (seriously why does Sonic scream glossy levels to people re-imagining it lately?), too effects heavy (mostly seen when Sonic blows up an enemy, that explosion is too extra and when the enemies are that huge, it kinda makes things distracting), not offering enough breathing room between seeing Sonic and seeing level elements, and of course the contrast issues. I feel as though this game could be a really awesome thing coming from the fan game community, especially given the awesome attention to detail they gave Sonic's model, the potential use of Sonic 3+K esque storytelling (Giant Eggman Robot in the background progressing through the landscape for a battle that would segway into the next level? Yes please!) and the spot on physics. If they can go back and fix these minor nitpicks with their assets, then I'd seriously consider this to be the best attempt at a 2D Sonic game in a long time.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
It's the last boss in the damn game.

I am aware of that and that wasn't what I was implying.

That Robotnik mech is the final boss in both Sonic 2 and Sonic & Knuckles, and the physics and level of speed appear to be closer to the original games than anything Dimps or Sonic Team have created in the last 16 years.

And is completely irrelevant. I was commenting on that particular video, not the Sonic franchise.

Koralsky

With the SEGA money and the guys who made this we can finally receive AAA Sonic game.

Can't believe that this is amateur recreation.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Monty Mole said:
A remix is basically a "variation on a theme".

But it's not just a variation, it's almost totally rewritten with new hooks everywhere that wasn't in the original composition. There are very little that's left of the original theme. When they change enough that only a tiny bit of the theme is in it, it's not just a remix, but something else. It was as different from the original that Unforgiven II was from Unforgiven.

The main theme needs to stay in for it to be even somewhat faithful at least. If only three notes are kept, and a ton new ones are added, it's not just a remix anymore.

I was also sorely disappointed by the Giana Sisters DS level music, because it changed it too much it wasn't the same theme anymore.

In short, these kind of "remixes" are more like re-imaginations than remixes.

"But it's not just a variation, it's almost totally rewritten with new hooks everywhere that wasn't in the original composition. There are very little that's left of the original theme. When they change enough that only a tiny bit of the theme is in it, it's not just a remix, but something else. It was as different from the original that Unforgiven II was from Unforgiven."

Unnecessary hair splitting, there are remixes by professional producers outside of fan games that leave even less of the original work in than these. They're still called remixes.

Studio makes a crazy fanmade project that rivals or surpasses studios efforts:

Valve's response: "Wow this looks great! Let's buy them as we give them tons of money so that they can make us tons amount of profit!"

SEGA's response: "Well it's not really that good! Look at this flaw! See we aren't that bad!"

Nintendo's response: "As long as you don't present a true actual threat to us we don't care."

The rest of the industry's response: " SUE! SUE! SUE!"

KamenSenshi

Looks better than a sega made game, but that's not difficult to accomplish. A bit busy, but with joc's edit it looks good, actually like what I expected a saturn sonic to be like.

Jocchan said:
oACNB.gif
What does it mean?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ToastyBanana said:
What does it mean?
That the background layer using the same colors as the foreground makes things appear busier and more cluttered. Changing the tones of background details makes the elements actually important for the gameplay stand out more.

Looks much better then Sonic 4. All the game needs, as shown, is the background needs to look a bit different then the playing field so you can always tell what's going on.

The animations and physics are perfect though. And lol at the damn tire screeching :lol

Wazzim

Banned
Ok so some guy in Greece made this great looking game but a whole sega studio comes with a game like Sega 4? :lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
Great gameplay and physics, terrible visual direction.
Honestly, most of the visual problems are a matter of contrast and color temperature. The different colors don't pop enough, so everything looks kind of cluttered.

Would probably be a relatively simple thing to fix, at least compared to the physics and gameplay, which are pretty spot on.

FoxSpirit said:
And for people going on about busy, think about this in 1080p and not some shitty LQ youtube.

Design that relies on ultra-high-resolution to be parseable in motion is not good design.

EXGN said:
Agree with the comments about the foreground clutter, but some of you guys... the hyperbole lol. It in no way looks like 'shit.'

True. It's a pretty strong fan-project effort that falls victim to some of the most common fan-work excesses. It's definitely kind of sad that an impressive but amateurish fan effort looks better to so many people than the "real" Sonic 4, but that says more about Sega (or, specifically, the fact that the set of people who like Sonic 1-3 and the set of people working on Sonic games today are entirely disjoint) than this project.

(The remixed music is super-terrible though.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The important issue here is whether or not Sonic has green eyes.

Looking good, but I agree that the foreground needs a different contrast from the background. I spent most of the first time watching this video looking at Mecha Robotnik.

Also it should use this music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfcauXPvu3U

Sciz

While this is an impressive effort, the classic Sonic titles are the last games on earth that need remakes. There's a whole host of bugs that could be fixed, but the actual design work in all regards is already as perfectly polished as anyone could hope for.

I don't mind it being busy at all. As looks as it has the classic Sonic camera where Sonic is always fixed in the dead center of the screen, you should always be able to tell where sonic is. As long as he doesn't use it to hide enemies or bottomless pits (
and thankfully classic Sonic rarely does those
) everything will be fine. I'd argue the business would add a neat effect, especially if some of it was blown away depending on your speed.

Vorador

Banned
Some of the design decisions are cuestionable. But for a remake by fans, it's a really outstanding job.

Not like that other fan-game. That Sonic 4 thingie.

*cries*

Dartastic

McBradders said:
Looks great. Seriously.

Not sure how people can be all "pfft looks shitty" when the evidence to the contrary is staring them right in the face.
They can say that because Sonic fans are stupid, and will never fully like anything, ever.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Zeitgester said:
Also, background robotnik is useless if it isn't used as a actuall boss later on.

Zeitgeister said:
BladeoftheImmortal said:
It's the last boss in the damn game.
I am aware of that and that wasn't what I was implying.

Azure Phoenix said:
... You've never played Sonic 2, have you?

That Robotnik mech is the final boss in both Sonic 2 and Sonic & Knuckles, and the physics and level of speed appear to be closer to the original games than anything Dimps or Sonic Team have created in the last 16 years.
And is completely irrelevant. I was commenting on that particular video, not the Sonic franchise.
What were you talking about then?

jman2050

It looks like a classic Sonic game that's a bit rough around the edges. Really I'd rather play a demo of this than Sonic 4 any day.

AzureJericho said:
You know, I think I can agree with both sides of the "cluttered vs. non-cluttered" debate here. In one way, this remake reminds me of Sonic 3, or more specifically a 2D 3D rendition of Sonic arriving on Angel Island. There were a lot of awesome effects during that transition for the time and it seems as though this fan game wanted to incorporate a lot of that into the art design for the game. The problem here is that the actual assets at times are too distracting by virtue of either being too big, too glossy (seriously why does Sonic scream glossy levels to people re-imagining it lately?), too effects heavy (mostly seen when Sonic blows up an enemy, that explosion is too extra and when the enemies are that huge, it kinda makes things distracting), not offering enough breathing room between seeing Sonic and seeing level elements, and of course the contrast issues. I feel as though this game could be a really awesome thing coming from the fan game community, especially given the awesome attention to detail they gave Sonic's model, the potential use of Sonic 3+K esque storytelling (Giant Eggman Robot in the background progressing through the landscape for a battle that would segway into the next level? Yes please!) and the spot on physics. If they can go back and fix these minor nitpicks with their assets, then I'd seriously consider this to be the best attempt at a 2D Sonic game in a long time.

Wonderfully put.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kimosabae said:
I'm STILL trying to figure why people think Sonic 4 looks bad.
Mainly its the physics, animations, and level design. The level design in particular still seems rather "run run run hit a spring bounce bounce rocket across the level" style. In the original games sequences like those were fairly rare.

Meier

This looks fucking amazing. Someone explain to me what's going on though? Is this a homebrew title for PC (please?) or consoles?

Kimosabae said:
I'm STILL trying to figure why people think Sonic 4 looks bad.
I think its mostly because it resembles Sonic Advance (DS/GBA) moreso than Sonic 1-3 (Genesis), and really has less in common with the 1-3 series, but the name is implying that it is supposed to follow 1-3.

And it's been put to shame by fanmade levels, such as this one.

this is amazing, as in the literal definition "that which amazes".

how anyone can knock this is beyond my comprehension.

please SEGA don't crush this. :/

Top Bottom