• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection announced for Switch (SD1-3 roms, 4800 yen)

Mandoric

Banned
Why? It's not like they continued with the "Secret of Mana" name for the rest of the series (okay, technically Dawn of Mana is the only other mainline game) . If they'd change the "Final Fantasy Adventure" / "Mystic Quest" name, they'd probably change it to "Adventure of Mana" like they did for the remake.

Not close enough to the Japanese title. Let's aim for maximum brand confusion with Final Fantasy Legend: Adventure of Mana.

randomkid

Not close enough to the Japanese title. Let's aim for maximum brand confusion with Final Fantasy Legend: Adventure of Mana.

this is a better version of my joke, although based on the laws of naming transitivity would have liked to work in a Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest somewhere in there.

duckroll

We already deleted a bunch of posts yesterday, so I'll say it again, reproduction carts of translated roms is PIRACY. DO NOT post links to them, DO NOT tell people to go buy them like it's some legal alternative. These are pirates taking a) an illegally acquired copy of a game, and b) a free translation patch they do not own, putting both into a cartridge and selling it for profit that none of the people who actually put effort into the two main components of the product will see a cent of.

Last warning.

Vamphuntr

SD3 is pretty much unplayable in multiplayer by modern standards. No shortcuts for ability so you have ti keep opening up the ring menu. Moreover every ability stops the action completely so it gets old fast in multi..

walei

Holy shit the nostalgia of seeing that game box.

Before we immigrated to Canada one of our first Gameboy games was Seiken 1 and it's probably our favorite GB game of all time. We couldn't read squat because it was in Japanese and got stuck at the stupid desert for a whole year. We would get the the desert, grind the werewolves to level 99, and reset to replay from the beginning. It was one of the most glorious days of our young lives when my brother figured out what to do from this single numeric digit in a string of Japanese text that we couldn't read.

Years later we got a copy of FF5JP and played that to death on our home-modded SNES, and stared for months at the this tiny ad in the instruction book that had a lush greenery that said Seiken Densetsu 2 in Kanji. It was before the internet and when my parents had an iron grip on our allowances (in which we don't get any) so we never bought gaming mags for the latest video game news. We would fantasize what the sequel to our favorite GB game of all time would be like without even a clue on when we could actually play the game...until one day a few months later right before the winter break at a local mall in Toronto we saw the same lush greenery art on display, ON A SNES BOX, WITH THE TEXT SECRET OF MANA IN ENGLISH. We almost shat ourselves and literally could hear angelic choir singing and begged my mom to open up her wallet. It never crossed our minds that the sequel would not be a Japanese Gameboy game so the game blew away anything we could've ever imagined. That was one of the most magical winter break ever!

When Seiken 3 came out we were pretty up to date with the latest gaming news from Japan because we started buying gaming mags from local Chinese mall. We salivated at Seiken 3, all the amazing screen shots, the article write ups on the Triangular Story system and the 6 playable characters with intertwined stories. Since then we played that game to death on the SNES, again and again and again...

I know people think the Seiken collection is a expensive rom dump with a pretty box... but man box art alone sold me. All 11 main characters together in one beautiful art just hits all the right nostalgia triggers. Sorry to being part of the problem that encourages quick cash grabs but DAYUM I'm getting it DAY ONE!

b3b0p

If these are basically ROM images not even nostalgia will get me cave on these. I'd rather play the originals. I'm not paying additional monies unless there is some legitimate effort added to enhance these in some way.

thedan001

Honest question:

Should I be looking into importing this if I wanted physical?

Outlook for a localization doesn't seem good.

My japanese is alright, not good but not bad but I like the Mana series and I've only played 3 and 4.

duckroll

Switch jp promo video had some SMT footage didn't it? Thought Atlus was doing SMT on it.

I could be wrong. Would actually be happy if they didn't move mainline SMT to the Switch.

They teased a new SMT series title developed on UE4. Doesn't automatically mean it's SMTV?

Kevinroc

Switch jp promo video had some SMT footage didn't it? Thought Atlus was doing SMT on it.

I could be wrong. Would actually be happy if they didn't move mainline SMT to the Switch.

There's an SMT game coming to Switch, but we don't know much beyond that at present.

Edit: Beaten.

shira

If these are basically ROM images not even nostalgia will get me cave on these. I'd rather play the originals. I'm not paying additional monies unless there is some legitimate effort added to enhance these in some way.

what what?

I have copies of Mystic Quest, Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu III and I don't a shit I'm gonna buy this if it's the last thing I do.
I played, finished SD3 multiple times on the original hardware basically understanding only the menus and I'll do it again if I have to.

same goes for romancing Saga games.
You'll have to actively remove all access to my bank to not make me get this!
I can and will wait if there's a localisation underway.
Took me years to play SD3 in a non shitty emu form and I'll be damned if I'm not getting this.
Seriously I'm not joking you can permaban me if nothing stop me from getting this collection and I don't have it shortly after it's released and no translation is available!

If I didn't have a switch already I would bought it when I heard of this coming.

Reading this post, how about we become best friends as far as the Mana games go? :D

Clov

But we don't know anything about what it is. Why assume anything when it is just a new SMT game for now? That's what I was asking.

Since it was on the 25th anniversary website, it would make sense that it's some sort of game in the mainline series. It very well could be SMTV.

Though it also could be SMTIV-3 or Strange Journey 2. Or even another unnumbered mainline game! It seems like it's a while off still, so we'll just have to see.

OmegaDL50

It desperately needs a new translation, the original one is pretty blatantly cut down and basic due to space limitations

FuSoYa's Variable Width Font edition of Secret of Mana basically is this.

It doesn't just fix the font for text boxes but overall expands on the script of the English version by including the expanded dialog based on the original Japanese transcript.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Could SMT Musou for all we know.

Heck SMT Dancing All Night

Heck how would they call Seiken densetsu 3?
Fates of Mana? Fairy of Mana?

I mean we have Sword of Mana for SD1, Secret of Mana for SD2.
SD3 is the only one without a Mana title to this day.

Also notice how they increased the value of the collection by not including SD4 :p

War of mana was my personal favorite. Though I like that Fate of Mana. going by Nintendo power of the time Secret of Mana 2 always had a "tentative" next to it in print.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Well, that is so bought. Physical edition. I was disappointed to see the S-E e-Store doesn't have a special edition, alas.

The glory days of Seiken... sigh. I certainly hope this is released in the West, and Seiken 3 finally gets an official localization.

Edit: I see a lot of "But what would they call Seiken Densetsu 3 anyway?"

Oh, I dunno... Maybe Secret of Mana 2? ヽ(・ω・)ノ 

2569screenshot3.png

Do it, S-E!

( ↑ A really quality fan logo patch for the original ROM image by G-Trans.)

Khezu

I really liked Secret of Mana, and the GBA remake of Sword of Mana, but I kinda thought SD3 sucked.

I vastly prefer Evermore to all 3 though, so I'm definitely the odd man out.

What's the general opinion on Legend of Mana? I rented it a few times and thought the map system was stupid so I never got very far in it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I would much, MUCH prefer unaltered ROMS to shitty remakes. The original games are already amazing. If they remade them in a new engine they would just be garbage cell phone games ports.

They could use quality remakes though. Both SoM and SD3 are glitchy as hell. Also SoM has a ton of cut content from when it was a CD based game and a really dedicated team remaking it could do wonders.

Aru

War of mana was my personal favorite. Though I like that Fate of Mana. going by Nintendo power of the time Secret of Mana 2 always had a "tentative" next to it in print.

Heroes of Mana would have been a good title if it wasn't already taken by that stupid RTS game.
I'd take Fate of Mana.

petran79

Banned
Just curious:

Is Seiken Densetsu 3 multiplayer possible with current online versions of SNES emulators, assuming they'd patch the ROMs?

EricB

What? If these aren't enhanced in anyway, what's the point of spending money on these when I can play the originals? Seems like a total waste.

-Ease of availability
-Portability
-Not having to keep and maintain twenty year old gaming equipment?
-Having all three games in one place

Take your pick.

They could use quality remakes though. Both SoM and SD3 are glitchy as hell. Also SoM has a ton of cut content from when it was a CD based game and a really dedicated team remaking it could do wonders.

This. Does anyone know if SE or any of the staff involved still has design documents of the stuff that was cut?

Waji

SD3 is pretty much unplayable in multiplayer by modern standards. No shortcuts for ability so you have ti keep opening up the ring menu. Moreover every ability stops the action completely so it gets old fast in multi..
The freeze in action every time you do something made me prefer Seiken 2 over time.
Of course the magic in 2 also stops action and it can be a pain to level up but in most of the game you can just use weapons and their special attacks.

Maybe that's why I feel that Legen of Mana battles are better.
Would have been so nice to get this one too.

Never played then before. Are they just GameBoy games?
Seiken 2 and 3 are Super Famicom/Nintendo games.

I really liked Secret of Mana, and the GBA remake of Sword of Mana, but I kinda thought SD3 sucked.

What's the general opinion on Legend of Mana? I rented it a few times and thought the map system was stupid so I never got very far in it.
I personaly like Seiken 2 over 3 and thought Legend of Mana was good so you should try it I guess.
Maybe just check a few review here and there.
I don't know what the general opinion is but I think it may have been criticized for its really special "story" system, not sure.

Heck how would they call Seiken densetsu 3?
Fates of Mana? Fairy of Mana?

I mean we have Sword of Mana for SD1, Secret of Mana for SD2.
SD3 is the only one without a Mana title to this day.

Also notice how they increased the value of the collection by not including SD4 :p

"Fate(s) of Mana" sounds good. I'm sure there's also something in the game's story that would suggest a perfect term.

I would just fix the naming and numbering like they did with Final Fantasy years ago.

Secret of Mana
Secret of Mana 2
Secret of Mana 3.

Simple enough.

No way. The first game already has a Mana title with "Sword of Mana", so they can use that if they don't choose to use Final Fantasy Adventure.

We already deleted a bunch of posts yesterday, so I'll say it again, reproduction carts of translated roms is PIRACY. DO NOT post links to them, DO NOT tell people to go buy them like it's some legal alternative. These are pirates taking a) an illegally acquired copy of a game, and b) a free translation patch they do not own, putting both into a cartridge and selling it for profit that none of the people who actually put effort into the two main components of the product will see a cent of.

Last warning.

Not only that, it sucks for game preservation as they're taking existing games to make this crap, decreasing the total pool of original SFC games.

If people want to play SD3 in English, buy the original Japanese SFC game from ebay - which is not especially expensive - dump the game (using something like the retrode) and apply the patch (assuming this is legal in your country), and play it in an emulator.

OmegaDL50

I'm sure they don't want to remind anyone of that terrible remake.

Funny enough Sword of Mana in of itself is the only game in the entire series which title is closest to the actual translation of the Japanese titling of the series.

Seiken Densetsu basically translates to Holy Sword Legend / Legend of the Holy Sword.

Of course due to Nintendo standards at the time, having the word "Holy" in the game title wasn't going to happen, due to their efforts to remove any references to religious connotation, among other things.

So it makes you wonder why SE didn't just simply swap Holy with another word...like Mana in this case.

Although plotwise for SD3 specifically. It deals with 8 ancient beings called the Mana Beasts which the Goddess used the Sword of Mana to defeat and seal them into the 8 Mana Stones, with the last of her power she became the Tree of Mana.

Two warring countries want the power of the 8 Mana Stones for themselves and seek to gain entrance into the Mana Holyland where the Tree and Sword of Mana itself resides. The goddess herself is losing power, so she sends one of her fairies to seek a hero to claim the Sword before it is too late, because if the Goddess / Tree of Mana dies before a Hero claims the Sword, the Mana Beasts will be freed from their sealed prison and destroy the world.

I guess the most plot propriate title for SD3 would probably be War of Mana due to the two Kingdoms at conflict trying to claim the power of the Mana Stones and Sword for themselves.

Funny enough Sword of Mana in of itself is the only game in the entire series which title is closest to the actual translation of the Japanese titling of the series.

Seiken Densetsu basically translates to Holy Sword Legend / Legend of the Holy Sword.

Of course due to Nintendo standards at the time, having the word "Holy" in the game title wasn't going to happen, due to their efforts to remove any references to religious connotation, among other things.

So it makes you wonder why SE didn't just simply swap Holy with another word...like Mana in this case.

Although plotwise for SD3 specifically. It deals with 8 ancient beings called the Mana Beasts which the Goddess used the Sword of Mana to defeat and seal them into the 8 Mana Stones, with the last of her power she became the Tree of Mana.

Two warring countries want the power of the 8 Mana Stones for themselves and seek to gain entrance into the Mana Holyland where the Tree and Sword of Mana itself resides. The goddess herself is losing power, so she sends one of her fairies to seek a hero to claim the Sword before it is too late, because if the Goddess / Tree of Mana dies before a Hero claims the Sword, the Mana Beasts will be freed from their sealed prison and destroy the world.

I guess the most plot propriate title for SD3 would probably be War of Mana due to the two Kingdoms at conflict trying to claim the power of the Mana Stones and Sword for themselves.

I would be okay with Square retconning the entire naming convention to "Legend of the Holy Sword", since that is what the series is called.

But in case they don't (and probably won't), I got the new title for SD3: Beasts of Mana.

Top Bottom