• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection announced for Switch (SD1-3 roms, 4800 yen)

Syril

SD3's imagery focused on the six main characters in commercials and cover art and stuff like that, so I think a good title would have been Warriors of Mana.

walei

I guess the most plot propriate title for SD3 would probably be War of Mana due to the two Kingdoms at conflict trying to claim the power of the Mana Stones and Sword for themselves.

It's actually three kingdoms, each involves two of the main characters.

I vote for Warriors of Mana... even though some of the main characters are obviously magic users.

elrohir

Neo Member
hoping for an official western release. played FFA Mystic Quest together with my cousin when we were 8 years old. what an adventure! i wonder though why they didn't release the recently remade version in 2.5D.

If they wanted to go the extra mile, they would not only translate SD3, but retranslate the first two games as well. I mean, how many different translations did FF1, 2, and 4 got, really?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
The inherent problem with Seiken 3 is that so many Mana fans are well aware of its existence under that title, and know it was the immediate sequel to the game they know as Secret of Mana.

To retitle it "(Whatever) of Mana" would be pretty anticlimactic, and have little hype factor for those unaware Seiken 3 existed.

I was very taken with the titling of Triforce of the Gods 2/A Link Between Worlds. Although it was toned down in the west with the removal of the numeral, it was still clearly a sequel to a two decade old game. Which is exactly how Seiken 3 should be presented should this collection be localized.

Secret of Mana 2!

Mael

Reading this post, how about we become best friends as far as the Mana games go? :D
Don't mind if I do!
As long as you're not between me and my copy of that game :p
War of mana was my personal favorite. Though I like that Fate of Mana. going by Nintendo power of the time Secret of Mana 2 always had a "tentative" next to it in print.
Secret of Mana 2 feels very Nintendo/Squaresoft of the 90's where they renamed titles for reasons.
That's how we got Final Fantasy 2 and 3 and went directly to 7 afterwards.
That new Squaresoft wouldn't go for Secret of Mana 2.

No way. The first game already has a Mana title with "Sword of Mana", so they can use that if they don't choose to use Final Fantasy Adventure.
The only problem I can see for using other name than Final Fantasy Adventure or Mystic Quest is how the game is coded (they basically have to inject the title screen text into the GB code).
Nothing major but needs to be done properly, for a VC release I would be against it as it's supposed to be unaltered version of the games but here...

"Fate(s) of Mana" sounds good. I'm sure there's also something in the game's story that would suggest a perfect term.
Well...
I would be okay with Square retconning the entire naming convention to "Legend of the Holy Sword", since that is what the series is called.

But in case they don't (and probably won't), I got the new title for SD3: Beasts of Mana.

Actually from the very little I understood of SD3, this is probably the way to go.
Fiends of Mana or a variation would be cool too!
Something like Savages of Mana would keep the SoM moniker between SD1, SD2 and SD3.

Nairume

Banned
My guess is if they change SD1's name for a hypothetical western release, it'd probably just be Adventure of Mana. It's what the more direct remake was called (rather than the remake that really swapped things up) and it would still evoke the name that people remember it by.

Otherwise, sticking with Final Fantasy Adventure in the US is probably fine, too. The game/series is still clearly a Final Fantasy spinoff at that stage, and I think most people buying the collection wouldn't be confused on the naming.

Alboreo

I'll be waiting a bit for a localization announcement, but if it doesn't come within a reasonable timeframe I'm importing for sure. I'm glad that Nintendo finally understands how important being region-free is.

Brunire

Having never played SD3, how much text is there compared to SD2? Are we talking close to the same or much more?

Trying to get a gauge on how much localization would be necessary.

duckroll

Having never played SD3, how much text is there compared to SD2? Are we talking close to the same or much more?

Trying to get a gauge on how much localization would be necessary.

I don't think there's much more text in like, a single campaign, but the difference is that there are like 6 playable characters you can choose from and each has their own story.

Don't mind if I do!
As long as you're not between me and my copy of that game :p

Secret of Mana 2 feels very Nintendo/Squaresoft of the 90's where they renamed titles for reasons.
That's how we got Final Fantasy 2 and 3 and went directly to 7 afterwards.
That new Squaresoft wouldn't go for Secret of Mana 2.

The only problem I can see for using other name than Final Fantasy Adventure or Mystic Quest is how the game is coded (they basically have to inject the title screen text into the GB code).
Nothing major but needs to be done properly, for a VC release I would be against it as it's supposed to be unaltered version of the games but here...

Well...

Actually from the very little I understood of SD3, this is probably the way to go.
Fiends of Mana or a variation would be cool too!
Something like Savages of Mana would keep the SoM moniker between SD1, SD2 and SD3.

Don't worry, we Mana-fans got shafted over the recent years so we have to hold together and not fight eachother :p

And about the naming, I still think Secret of Mana 2 should be in in some way, maybe something like "Secret of Mana 2: Fiends of Mana", it worked for the Donkey Kong Country series too :eek:

Mael

Don't worry, we Mana-fans got shafted over the recent years so we have to hold together and not fight eachother :p
*fist bump*
And about the naming, I still think Secret of Mana 2 should be in in some way, maybe something like "Secret of Mana 2: Fiends of Mana", it worked for the Donkey Kong Country series too :eek:

The issue I have with that is that it's not a spinoff in any way.
It's a bonafide new opus.
It's kind of like calling FFXV as FFXI-2.
That way they can make a real Secret of Mana 2 that is the direct sequel and is shitting on everything we ever liked about SoM like After Years did!

*fist bump*

The issue I have with that is that it's not a spinoff in any way.
It's a bonafide new opus.
It's kind of like calling FFXV as FFXI-2.
That way they can make a real Secret of Mana 2 that is the direct sequel and is shitting on everything we ever liked about SoM like After Years did!

*fist-bump*

And hmm I see your point and you are not wrong, I still think that SD3 is close enough to SD2 in all aspects to be considered a sequel but it's also different enough to be its own thing so there's where the difficulty comes from. (The real travesty would have been calling Dawn of Mana Secret of Mana 3, that game was a giant mess!) Either way it first has to be confirmed for localization before we should worry about the naming :/

I already tweeted Square Enix but yeah...

And about a "true" Secret of Mana 2, normally I would be excited about something like this but I'm way too scared that they butcher it like you said so the best I wish for would be a complete remade Secret of Mana with faithfully hand-drawn 2D graphics :p

Seiken Densetsu 3 of Mana

Secret of Mana 2: The Lost Levels

Heroes of Mana 2

Secret of Versus Evermore

...but really guys, Ted Woolsey was literally calling it Secret of Mana 2 back in the days. The title used by the official Squaresoft US translator is the closest we have to an official US title for the game.

Mandoric

Banned
Seiken Densetsu 3 of Mana

Secret of Mana 2: The Lost Levels

Heroes of Mana 2

Secret of Versus Evermore

...but really guys, Ted Woolsey was literally calling it Secret of Mana 2 back in the days. The title used by the official Squaresoft US translator is the closest we have to an official US title for the game.

They were also advertising FF5 as Final Fantasy Extreme in the window during which FF6 was announced but they hadn't completely scrapped it. Sometimes it's fair to drop names that are from an obviously abandoned standard (just like we dropped Final Fantasy Adventure 2 for SoM even though the early PR used it).

They were also advertising FF5 as Final Fantasy Extreme in the window during which FF6 was announced but they hadn't completely scrapped it. Sometimes it's fair to drop names that are from an obviously abandoned standard (just like we dropped Final Fantasy Adventure 2 for SoM even though the early PR used it).

The difference with "Final Fantasy V" and "Secret of Mana" is those games actually came out as such and not as FF Extreme and FFA2...

Mandoric

Banned
The difference with "Final Fantasy V" and "Secret of Mana" is those games actually came out as such and not as FF Extreme and FFA2...

And SD3, of course, didn't come out as SoM2.

An even more on the nose comparison would be Earthbound Zero→Earthbound Beginnings.

And SD3, of course, didn't come out as SoM2.

An even more on the nose comparison would be Earthbound Zero→Earthbound Beginnings.

Hence "The title used by the official Squaresoft US translator is the closest we have to an official US title for the game."

Mandoric

Banned
Hence "The title used by the official Squaresoft US translator is the closest we have to an official US title for the game."

Disagreed - it's the title that made it closest to US shelves in the past, but like Earthbound (NES), further developments and the naming of other titles have shut off the possibility for its use.

Flakster99

I want this. Translate and release stateside and you will have a $50 US dollar sale. Like some of us, the amount of love that I have for this series goes back decades.

Xero

We already deleted a bunch of posts yesterday, so I'll say it again, reproduction carts of translated roms is PIRACY. DO NOT post links to them, DO NOT tell people to go buy them like it's some legal alternative. These are pirates taking a) an illegally acquired copy of a game, and b) a free translation patch they do not own, putting both into a cartridge and selling it for profit that none of the people who actually put effort into the two main components of the product will see a cent of.

Last warning.

yep stupid post on my part, got caught up in the moment.

Seems a little weird to have the original GB version instead of the GBA remake, if just for the consistency in art and play style.

Would still buy day one if it gets localized. All three games are pretty groovy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seiken Densetsu 3 = Tales of Mana

Awesome. Even better would be English translation for SD 3 and adding back the content cut from Secret of Mana (as it was originally a SNES CD game).

Dalamar86

That art is amazing. The overhead shot would be poster worthy if not for the awkward cleavage. I'd happily take a clean version of the box art.

Day one if localized.

ReyVGM

The inherent problem with Seiken 3 is that so many Mana fans are well aware of its existence under that title, and know it was the immediate sequel to the game they know as Secret of Mana.

To retitle it "(Whatever) of Mana" would be pretty anticlimactic, and have little hype factor for those unaware Seiken 3 existed.

I was very taken with the titling of Triforce of the Gods 2/A Link Between Worlds. Although it was toned down in the west with the removal of the numeral, it was still clearly a sequel to a two decade old game. Which is exactly how Seiken 3 should be presented should this collection be localized.

Secret of Mana 2!

I don't get why companies need to pick one way or the other. Why can't it be both?

Legend of Mana was called Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana in Japan. So why couldn't this be called Seiken Densetsu 3: xyz of Mana?

ReyVGM

If you guys want SD3 localized, then hit Square and/or Nintendo's twitter and let them now. If people make enough noise, they will listen.

Top Bottom