• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Democrats surprising strategy: trying to align with Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But the primary turned out to be the perfect storm in getting him the nomination.

How is getting matched up with Jeb Bush (Bush dynasty member), Marco Rubio (Up and coming Republican savior), and Ted Cruz (Lunatic conservative fringe golden boy), a perfect storm for Trump?

Democrats are going to likely be doing a lot of fighting against actual heinous things, so there's really no point in wasting energy on things that can potentially help people. The GOP wanted to stonewall Obama on everything under the sun and people ended up suffering because of it.

Get Trump hooked on the positive attention such lower resistance please-the-people projects will bring him and away from the more contentious world-ending shit and we might just make it out of the next 4-8 years alive.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Could actually work. I don't think Trump falls into ether party's platform as well as the Republican party is currently pretending. Trump is not a conservative, nor a republican IMO, he is a nationalist independent.

Democrats are going to likely be doing a lot of fighting against actual heinous things, so there's really no point in wasting energy on things that can potentially help people. The GOP wanted to stonewall Obama on everything under the sun and people ended up suffering because of it.
People ended up suffering but the party clearly didn't. What is the actual goal here? The Republicans can infight all they want but does anyone actually give a shit? They'll still get reelected if Trump is seen as a president for the working class.

SmokeMaxX

Here's why this is a bad idea:
Republicans don't really care what Trump does. If he does anything too stupid, they'll just find a way to force him out and make Pence President. In fact, they can actually have him do extreme things even knowing it'll wreck the country because they're not afraid of turning on him and placing all of the blame on him.

Congrats on the normalization. Get back to me in four years to see how well it worked out for you.
He's president. What are they supposed to do? We have to make it through and stuff needs to get done

Call out and block any unforgivable bullshit he tries to push. Work with him on stuff that actually helps people and the economy.

I'm not sure scorched earth obstructionism will get Dems out for the midterms. At least that seems like a risky bet. It makes sense to me to use what they have available and get some things passed.

Worked for republicans and the Tea party. Trump has the precedent of being an inept politician. Anything that dissuades from that by "cooperating" democrats would basically bring wind to his wing. Basically democrats are dong what they do best, being weak a complacent with republicans.

Hexa

How is getting matched up with Jeb Bush (Bush dynasty member), Marco Rubio (Up and coming Republican savior), and Ted Cruz (Lunatic conservative fringe golden boy), a perfect storm for Trump?

They were all too selfish to drop out or work together properly so they ended up competing for the same base and attacking each other, while Trump had a base entirely to himself. If of Jeb, Rubio, and Kasich only one of them was in the race from the beginning, in my opinion the race would have likely gone in a completely different direction, but by the time they did it was too late and Trump had far too much momentum to be stopped.

Window

Don't know how the US legislature works but the Dems will have to pre-empt Trump in introducing bills on trade restrictions (which I think is a bad idea personally but seems to appeal to voters) and infrastructure spending (which will appeal to him but not the Republican Party) while also pushing for greater social security (likely to appeal to neither) if they want to gain credit for positive economic reform assisting low income earners come next election otherwise things get tricky in terms of public perception.

The headline itself is stomach churning, but the contents of the article paints a different picture. Definitely seems like they're trying to promote in-fighting when an already uneasy GOP.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean this is what they would want. Why are Dems the only ones willing to compromise and be moral? Repubs will just as soon take them out back and fuck them with a shotgun to the head.

Atilac

Extract what we can, oppose to the death what I don't want, make trump and the GOP fight, divide and conquer.

This is fucking stupid. New York had a good long piece about this

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...pelosi-have-a-plan-to-make-trump-popular.html

Charles Schumer and Nancy Pelosi Have a Plan to Make President Trump Popular

I don't think you get it. The Democrats are in the minority party, some of these stuff won't pass because of the GOP. But they might try to get something, but still unlikely to pass and they will oppose him on basically everything else. This might provoke infighting because you don't want the GOP and Trump to work together. Trump and Democrats working together won't get anything done realistically without the GOP and the GOP will still oppose them anyway.

In the end Democrats will come out looking good while, Trump bad potentially and so will the GOP.

Agentnibs

I can't see how this could possibly help Democrats in the long run. If they can get these bills passed it will just make Donald Trump look like the good guy effectively making the Republican party look like the only party that can get things done.

Why would would the white working class ever vote Democrat again, if the Republican party is the one who gets the credit for helping them with infrastructure bills.

It's a good idea and it helps people, but it normalizes the vile crap trump,his supporters, and the Republican party have been spewing for years.

Must feel bad for Obama, stuff like this is going to make him look like a failed president to a lot of people.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like they are trying to promote infighting between the Congress GOP and Trump.

Yeah.

It's amazing that they're gonna use his influence to get infrastructure and maternity leave passed. Those from the GOP who say no are probably going to face a hissy fit from him through Twitter hurting chances of re-election in mid-terms.

If they're smart about it, they can kill 2 birds with one stone. Yet, this is the party that lost against freaking Trump, so I dunno.

1. None of these plans will ever pass because Republicans hate them. You already see that with, how am I going to pay for the wall? McConnell hates the idea of infrastructure spending and already threw cold water on it. This will continue.

2. None of these plans would pass with minority-Republican support.

3. They're stroking Trump's ego so he tries to push for an infrastructure plan that falls on its face when it can't get through the House or past a filibuster (which, apparently, it still living).

4. Their goal these next 2 years is to fracture Trump's base with Republicans to make him seem like an ineffective president while also saying these were plans they agreed with, because they will need some Trump voters going into 2020. They will say he never delivered on his promises.

5. Maybe they maternity leave gets passed. But most of their Republican opponents in 18 and 20 will have voted against it. A wedge. Also infighting.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah.

It's amazing that they're gonna use his influence to get infrastructure and maternity leave passed. Those from the GOP who say no are probably going to face a hissy fit from him through Twitter hurting chances of re-election in mid-terms.

If they're smart about it, they can kill 2 birds with one stone. Yet, this is the party that lost against freaking Trump, so I dunno.

Thinking about it, that could potentially work in a grade school sense. Trump likes something and the Dems support him on it. A few Republicans don't. He goes right to Twitter and facebook about how they suck. Suddenly their stock in the Rep Party tanks and they get worried about reelection because the hero of the party currently, isn't on their side.

It's not like his words effect the Dem base.

Doing everything possible to drive a wedge between Trump and the rest of the GOP is the exact strategy that the Democratic party should be employing. Maybe party leadership isn't as dumb as I feared they might be.

I'm not sure scorched earth obstructionism will get Dems out for the midterms. At least that seems like a risky bet. It makes sense to me to use what they have available and get some things passed.

Yup. It's still about the country as a whole.

border

Are the Democrats really going to to help him throw out NAFTA and institute ridiculous tariffs on imported goods? They have to know that isn't going to work.

I was impressed and dismayed that Trump was able to convince a bunch of suckers in the rust belt that he's capable of bringing back long-gone manufacturing jobs......please don't tell me Democrats in the Senate have fallen for that too.

Fuchsdh

This is fucking stupid. New York had a good long piece about this

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...pelosi-have-a-plan-to-make-trump-popular.html

Charles Schumer and Nancy Pelosi Have a Plan to Make President Trump Popular

So basically that op-ed says "remember how Obama was able to get nothing done and led to a paralysis of Congress which directly led to the rise of Trump and the tea party? I demand the Democrats behave just as badly!"

The Republicans could go scorched earth obstinacy because they were politically rewarded for it. Dems don't understand that midterms are a thing, they can't pull the same moves even if they wanted to.

Guys, see:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/t...ervatives-back-trump-s-wall-but-wary-of-costs

House conservatives said Wednesday they're happy to help President-elect Donald Trump build a wall on the Mexican border, but he'll have to find a way to pay for it.

"There's a lot of support for it," said Representative Raúl Labrador of Idaho, a leader of the conservative House Freedom Caucus. But "everything needs to be fully funded," he said.

Representative Mark Sanford of South Carolina said he's open to the idea of a wall, but said "the devil will be in the details" because the national debt is "the greatest challenge to our country."

"I am a deficit hawk and I will look very closely at offsets as it relates to border security, infrastructure, defense, you name the subject," he said.

Representative Thomas Massie of Kentucky said it would be "a very dangerous thing, especially for our conservative base," for Congress to authorize new spending financed by borrowing. "The deficit is just too huge right now."

Worked for republicans and the Tea party. Trump has the precedent of being an inept politician. Anything that dissuades from that by "cooperating" democrats would basically bring wind to his wing. Basically democrats are dong what they do best, being weak a complacent with republicans.
I think you're overestimating Trump and his gang of clowns. I would expect them to leave more than enough embarasing failures for the democrats to spin it as Trump and the GOP being unable to achive anything on their own.

wildfire

Banned
The GOP has real fissures between the Tea Party, old fashioned GOPers, and the new Trumpers.

Its a bold strategy.

And this has been one weird ass year.

Agree except for the last line. This won't only drive a wedge between Rep Congress and Trump but also between Trump backers and REp Congress if Congress doesn't follow through on the same ideas Dems are supporting. The amount of such people is thin because racism and misogyny is the main concern for the core Trump supporter from the primary but those who voted during the primary and feel differently can be swayed.

I wonder why Schumer is leading the charge on this.

Jeffrey

With how much of a wild card trump is, there's gotta be a play somewhere to make Trump not destroy america yet at the same time hurt the GOP.

The question is can the dem's pull it off?

Matt

The number of people here arguing for the shameful tactics that the GOP employed under Obama in amazing.

Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't.
May as well try to put a wedge between Trump and the GOP I guess but it may as well consolidate Trump's power if a lot of good things pass through.
Obstructionism may be the less risky strategy but can't see how it will help people or improve the Democrats standing come the midterms.
Democrats are trully up shit creek with no paddle.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
One possible outcome of this would be Dems winning lots of seats in 2018, Trump getting the presidency again in 2020. They have to play their cards really well for 2018, more important than 2020 IMO.

Aselith

So in essence they all learned the absolute worst lesson from getting skullfucked.

Grand. Look forward to our country falling apart.

How is finding common ground and working toward achievable goals bad? Get off your high horse.

I'd much rather they work with him as much as they reasonably can rather than reject everything out of hand just because he's in favor of it like the asshole Republicans did with Obama.

Has anyone actually looked at a concrete infrastructure bill proposal from Trump?

I find it hard to believe that his idea of "infrastructure spending" is the same as Hillary/Obama's vision of "infrastructure spending"

I'm almost certain that his bill will be Infrastructure "spending" in the form of tax breaks for his developer cronies.

Are they actually keeping that? Why?

Because they probably won't have 50 votes to get rid of it.

See:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...o-end-filibusters_us_582caa6ae4b099512f806e7b

But with the GOP holding just a 52-seat majority next year, it would take only two defections to end that threat, and some Senate Republicans already have expressed strong reservations about the idea.

On Wednesday, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) may have put a dagger in the scheme.

Asked by The Huffington Post about ending the filibuster, he was blunt.

“Are you kidding?” he said with some vehemence. “I’m one of the biggest advocates for the filibuster. It’s the only way to protect the minority, and we’ve been in the minority a lot more than we’ve been in the majority. It’s just a great, great protection for the minority.”

If they stick to their guns on the things they don't agree with then it could work. But Democrats are the party of compromise, so chances are high they'll bend to Republican will almost always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom