• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Democrats surprising strategy: trying to align with Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
... To be fair, leveraging the division within the Republican party that hasn't magically disappeared after Trump's election isn't the worst idea.

But yeah, they'd better have a hardline for some of the more troubling ideas the Trump administration has.

kess

Trying to play both sides got them here in the first place, but perhaps, Schumer knows something about Trump we don't.

Or the Senate Democrats have no fucking balls.

But Mr. Schumer’s immediate challenge will be to meet the often competing imperatives of those senators, who reflect the Democrats’ larger struggle of whether to try to tailor an appeal to the working-class white voters who defected to Mr. Trump or to try to increase the so-called Obama coalition anchored by minority and younger voters.

A GOOD CAMPAIGN WOULD BE ABLE TO DO BOTH YOU FUCKING NUMBNUTS

... To be fair, leveraging the division within the Republican party that hasn't magically disappeared after Trump's election isn't the worst idea.

But yeah, they'd better have a hardline for some of the more troubling ideas the Trump administration has.

Read the article that is what they said they do. They aren't going to vote for a wall, tax cuts, repealing Obamacare, and approving a SC.

If anything this might piss of Trump with the Democrats.

Dana Houle kind of sums up why this also might be the "best" option.

@DanaHoule
We have little institutional/procedural leverage. Appealing to Trump’s vanity/ignorance & instigating Trump v GOP fight maybe best we can do

Afrodium

Banned
Trump is a fucking fascist. I don't care if there is the opportunity to promote infighting in the GOP. I don't care if some of his ideas align more with liberal ideals than conservative ones. Trump is a cancer and we need to make a hard stance that we will not work with him at all.

Trump is a fucking fascist. I don't care if there is the opportunity to promote infighting in the GOP. I don't care if some of his ideas align more with liberal ideals than conservative ones. Trump is a cancer and we need to make a hard stance that we will not work with him at all.

He doesn't need the Democrats to work with him, we have no leverage. We don't have the power to obstruct him outside of the Senate filibuster. And if we overuse it the GOP could get the votes they need to get rid of it.

It's better to work with him on the parts of his legislative agenda that we agree with (i.e. infrastructure and maternity leave) that the wider GOP is split on. And then obstruct him on the things we don't agree with him on via the filibuster.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dana Houle kind of sums up why this also might be the "best" option.

Pretty much. If the Dems can take the House in 2018 they'll be in a far better position to make him look bad, but until then they need to divide Trump and the larger GOP and look like they're trying to accomplish their own legislative goals. If they can make the story "Trump is fighting the GOP" the whole time it'll put them in a position to take credit for any half-way decent thing that gets done.

The number of people here arguing for the shameful tactics that the GOP employed under Obama in amazing.

We're simply lamenting the credulity of congressional Democrats.

They're still acting like this game is on the up and up which means they'll get fucked again and again until they learn that they should never trust Trump and congressional Republicans to be acting in good faith.

Meowster

I think this is our best option unfortunately. Our politicians can still do some good in the system while the rest of us remain vigilant and active and do what politicians can't.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You don't want Trump or even Pence for another 4 years, do you?

That's beside the point. Democrats have nothing to gain from obstruction, unlike Republicans who were able to sell the idea that "the government is broken" and that because they are supposedly for small government, blocking everything can be seen as a positive.

That doesn't work for the Dem base that doesn't believe the government is inherently bad. How are the Dems in congress supposed to answer when their constituents ask why they refused to support things they should have? That's a good way to lose even more seats.

Ideally, congressional dems come out looking good here which can help boost their chances in future races. Trump might come out looking decentish, but GOP in congress looks bad for standing against the Dems and their own president.

Jeffrey

Pretty much. If the Dems can take the House in 2018 they'll be in a far better position to make him look bad, but until then they need to divide Trump and the larger GOP and look like they're trying to accomplish their own legislative goals.

at the same time grassroot it up to get people to vote during the midterms, because man those midterms look grim for the dems.

Log4Girlz

Pretty much. If the Dems can take the House in 2018 they'll be in a far better position to make him look bad, but until then they need to divide Trump and the larger GOP and look like they're trying to accomplish their own legislative goals. If they can make the story "Trump is fighting the GOP" the whole time it'll put them in a position to take credit for any half-way decent thing that gets done.

I hope I'm wrong, but considering how many seats are up for grabs, gerrymandering, voter suppression, the current political mood. ..I suspect they'll lose seats.

guek

Banned
This is fucking stupid. New York had a good long piece about this

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...pelosi-have-a-plan-to-make-trump-popular.html

Charles Schumer and Nancy Pelosi Have a Plan to Make President Trump Popular

What you're forgetting is Democrats need to make themselves popular too, and unfortunately I don't think being totally obstructionist would work with their constituency like it did for the GOP. Work where you can, obstruct the rest, don't hurt actual people just to stand in the way of the Republicans.

Yes, the GOP was obnoxiously obstructionist while Obama was in power. No, we shouldn't be diametrically opposed to everything they have their fingers in just so you can say you stood in their way. This isn't a football team we're rooting for.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
at the same time grassroot it up to get people to vote during the midterms, because man those midterms look grim for the dems.

Yea, I left that bit out for a reason. Here's hoping they get their shit together.

I hope I'm wrong, but considering how many seats are up for grabs, gerrymandering, voter suppression, the current political mood. ..I suspect they'll lose seats.

That's the Senate you're thinking of when you say what's up for grabs. The full House is up for reelection every two years, that's why midterms are so important. I do suspect the political mood will change in a year or two of buffoonery. You're absolutely right about the gerrymandering and voter supression though. Not that I expect it to go all that well.

Schumer's from NYC. He knows the citizens in his town. He also knows this:

https://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/...=&employ=&cand=Charles+Schumer+&submit=Submit

So Trump literally hasn't given to Schumer since he became a Republican (and barely gave anything even then), also I hate how people act like politicians are so easily bought when we have proof of the opposite. It's more that everyone in this town knows how easily played Trump is. Dangle the respect of the wealthy Manhattanites in front of him and he'll do whatever. It's literally all he's ever wanted in life and is what drives his every move.

So in essence they all learned the absolute worst lesson from getting skullfucked.

Grand. Look forward to our country falling apart.
So in essence first post couldn't even bother reading the OP?

Should be interesting but if it's things like maternity leave and such, I can't imagine Trump pushing hard for these reforms...

Sounds like they are trying to promote infighting between the Congress GOP and Trump.

I feel the same. A stooge with no experience in Washington as the head of state has all sorts of potential to be taken advantage of and played like a fiddle. Hopefully they just don't think they're more clever than they are. Which being members of Congress, eventually they will, and will get played themselves.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So Trump literally hasn't given to Schumer since he became a Republican (and barely gave anything even then), also I hate how people act like politicians are so easily bought when we have proof of the opposite. It's more that everyone in this town knows how easily played Trump is. Dangle the respect of the wealthy Manhattanites in front of him and he'll do whatever. It's literally all he's ever wanted in life and is what drives his every move.

Yep, that $10,000 over ten years (ending six years ago) really effected his decision here.

Er, that's not actually the point I was trying to convey. Schumer and Trump go way back, so Schumer knows Trump pretty well (maybe just well enough), and probably knows stuff about Trump that we don't, which is the direct answer to what the question was.

Matt

Er, that's not actually the point I was trying to convey. Schumer and Trump go way back, so Schumer knows Trump pretty well (maybe just well enough), and probably knows stuff about Trump that we don't, which is the direct answer to what the question was.
Ah. You didn't convey that great :)

And yes they do go way back, I'm sure Schumer thinks that will count for something.

It very well could.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Don't know how the US legislature works but the Dems will have to pre-empt Trump in introducing bills on trade restrictions (which I think is a bad idea personally but seems to appeal to voters) and infrastructure spending (which will appeal to him but not the Republican Party) while also pushing for greater social security (likely to appeal to neither) if they want to gain credit for positive economic reform assisting low income earners come next election otherwise things get tricky in terms of public perception.
This is what I was thinking. This also gives Republicans the chance to kill positive bills (pronably on grounds of "too much spending") and replace with their own shittier ones that will be ineffective.

I'm in favor of this, but I fear it will make Trump look good rather than the congressional democrats that actually pushed for advancements.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Ok, sorry. I've just seen so many people misuse that website in the past two years that just seeing an opensecrets like makes me inexplicably angry. So long as the Dems can keep Schumer out of a deli when planning this stuff they should do ok.

I will note it's not only Schumer who is licking his chops here, Governor Cuomo (who put out a really nice statement about how NY will be a safe haven for anyone Trump tries to persecute while in office) is reportedly trying to do the exact same thing the Congressional Dems are. Everyone and their grandmother is going to be trying to con money out of Trump in the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if a little cottage industry pops up to help with it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ah. You didn't convey that great :)

And yes they do go way back, I'm sure Schumer thinks that will count for something.

It very well could.

More generally speaking, this goes to the point where, ironically enough, due to their shared upbringing and history, Trump might be the most qualified person among the entire mess of Republican candidates who actually might have a shot at working well with Chuck Schumer. Or I could be completely wrong about that. We'll see.

Isn't this basically almost exactly what people were praising Sanders for saying almost the day after the election?

It's interesting to see how different things get looked at when he's not the one saying it.

Aselith

Don't pay your taxes this year. Put up or shut up.

Kite

So in essence they all learned the absolute worst lesson from getting skullfucked.

Grand. Look forward to our country falling apart.
Did you even read the article before spazzing out? Infrastructure spending, child tax credits, paid maternity leave and dismantling trade agreements, this is shit Democrats want.

On one hand, I think the country is going to be fucked enough without deliberately sabotaging every beneficial policy for the next four years.

On the other hand, this seems like a pretty transparent gambit. Won't the GOP be able to come up with a way to turn it back on the dems?

Did you even read the article before spazzing out? Infrastructure spending, child tax credits, paid maternity leave and dismantling trade agreements, this is shit Democrats want.

Very little of which will pass anyway. But they may already know that.

Eidan

There's nothing Democrats love more than working across the aisle. Eight years of Republican obstructionism and it's the first thing they want to do. I'll say this: this won't drive a wedge between Trump and the GOP. All this will do is validate and normalize him. And seeing that their leaders are working with him will only further help deflate turnout in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom