• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously considering the Xbox1 over the ps4

THEF3AR

Realistically, get an Xbox One. It's like asking what you should get when you know what you really want. Ain't no one going to be ashamed of you, except for them hardcore Sony boys on here.

Alas, I'm biased though because I'm a hardcore Microsoft boy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Go with what you want OP. I think based on your preferences and XB1 is best for you. I don't know if you'd bother with a PS4 next year, but that's what i'd advertise to people looking to pick up a PS4, wait for next year when all the games drop.

Then again, XB1 and PS4 are 99% the same, so its kind of redundant to own both

Duxxy3

If you're a racing fan, that doesn't use a racing wheel, the XB1 is a must buy just for the rumble triggers.

I own Trials Fusion on PS4 and XB1, but the rumble triggers make a world of difference for me. Getting feedback on how much gas you're giving, or how much you're breaking, is amazing.

Also great for Halo 3 and 4 (why was it not added to 1 and 2?).

Cheech

They're both great consoles. I like the Xbone exclusives, but I have both and I don't feel like either was a mistake.

This was unlike last gen, where the PS3 was a steaming pile for the first 2-3 years.

Xbox one is way better right now for racing fans like me.

The racing exclusives it has are forza 5 and forza horizon 2 which might be the best racing game ever made.

Ps4 racing exclusive is driveclub and it's a broken mess. Ignoring its technical issues, its way too short and doesn't include any american dor Japanese cars.

Xbox one has dlna and mkv plaback.

Its operating systwm is lightyears ahead of ps4.

Xbox live has been far more reliable than psn so far.

During its first year, the Xbox one is clearly the superior choice for anyone who likes racers, fighters, media playback, or online play.

Also the li-ion play n charge battery lasts about 8x longer than the ps4 controllers terrible battery life and the rubber sticks don't fall apart. Rumble triggers are great for racing.

Elandyll

Banned
I also realized, unless you want to take advantage of the BF deals (big deal on PS4, relatively less for XB1), you can also wait for Dec 6/7 and the PS event, see what 2015 looks like on PS4, and then make your choice.... :shrug:

Support for older wheels will likely come the moment the Immersion patents expire, in about a year, so hopefully just in time for GT7. Logitech's drivers are already written, actually.

DLNA should be coming any minute now. I'm pretty sure Vue relies on it, and they start beta testing that this month, with a full rollout next Spring. So, definitely by then, I'd say, and likely before. We may get more news on this stuff at the PlayStation event in a couple of weeks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly you seem to have made your mind up, but those are two odd reasons.

the situation with wheels is equally fucked up on both sides. Although there is the slim chance that Ps4 may support older wheels later next year.
whether a box has DLNA or not seems an odd thing to hinge a purchasing decision on. There are tons of boxes that can do that for you for a fraction of the price of a console.

I only have a PS4 at the moment, and I love it, but the Xbox is getting better all the time. Either console's a pretty safe bet, and with the ridiculous deals on the Xbone at the moment, shit, why not?

spookyfish

I prefer PS4, but I have a nice, new white 'Bone waiting for me on Christmas.

Both have great games, and I always want the option of having exclusives.

Always buy what you like, and you'll be happy.

Rembrandt

Banned
Honestly you seem to have made your mind up, but those are two odd reasons.

the situation with wheels is equally fucked up on both sides. Although there is the slim chance that Ps4 may support older wheels later next year.
whether a box has DLNA or not seems an odd thing to hinge a purchasing decision on. There are tons of boxes that can do that for you for a fraction of the price of a console.

Why buy another box when one system has the wheel support, racing games and DLNA he wants?

MMaRsu

Banned
I've gotten every system day 1 except for this generation. I got my money ready and the plan was to buy the ps4. However, thinking about it now, I can't think of any real reason why i should. I'm in there for racing games and I got a ps3 over an 360 because of the wheel support.

Sony seems to have fucked up wheel support and most of all, no DLNA so far. I usually got the PS and then waited for the Xbox and then the 360 to drop big in price and pick up some good used games. Now i'm thinking of doing the opposite.

I can get the 360 for much less money, pick up Forza used and GTAV for about the price of a ps4. Then when GT7 comes out pick up a ps4 then.

Does the Xbox1 have DLNA? Anyone that have only one system so far pine away for the other?

Uhh if you are a racing fan pick up a ps4 with Driveclub.

Also buying a console for dlna? Lol.

Also, Xbox One is weak as hell son.

I would suggest waiting to see what Sony brings to the table at their event in December, but by then you'll probably have missed out on some killer Black Friday deals. I mean, if you don't think you'll have any regrets, jump on the Bone since it seems to fit your criteria and has great racing games. Driveclub, despite all of its problems, is a fantastic racer if you change your mind. I finally got a chance to try it out and it's pretty much a love letter to old school racing fans. Regardless, don't ever feel like you need to justify your decisions to anyone else.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
nothing wrong with that, especially as a race fan. nevermind MCC, SO, KI, TF, DR3, you got FH2 and the amazing FM5. have a great time.

GravyButt

I had both a ps4, and a xbox one. I sold the xbox one, not because I didnt like it, but I was in desperate need of cash at the time because of some medical stuff.

Im highly contemplating picking one up on black friday.

Yah, I decided I liked the ps4 more. But the xbox one was great too.

Im kind of in a situation as to if I want to pick up the xbox one again though. I want to play Dead Rising 3, halo, and eventually gears of war (any news on anything on it?) Not sure if its a smart idea. To be honest, the vast majority of my friends play on the xbox one, so thats a big thing.

What I did with my xbox one was sports games. And games that I knew my friends would play online. Like right now would be H:MCC and call of duty. I just always feel guilty owning two systems to be honest. In one case, I feel games play better on ps4, but xbox one (in my situation) is where the vast majority of my friends reside, and I think live is much better overall. Plus I like the UI of the one a whole heck of a lot more.

Squishy3

I'm actually really enjoying my Xbox One even though I haven't touched it in a bit just because I'm playing through DA:I and Far Cry 4 on PC, I burnt myself out playing a bunch of Sunset Overdrive so just taking a break from that, but I beat D4 and got all the collectibles and have only like 10 achievements left. (gotta get all them wallpapers!)

Have Master Chief Collection too but waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out before I really hop into it. I did beat Halo 1 CE and am halfway through Halo 2 CE, so I put some time into it already, just working through stuff I haven't played yet before hopping back into it. Probably going to get Forza Horizon 2 after I work through the above titles as well.

I'm definitely enjoying it, OP, and you already sound like you're heavily tempted to jump in.

VanWinkle

Nobody rational is going to be mad at you for that. If you're planning on getting both at some point, get the one that interests you most currently first.

Amir0x

Banned
I keep re-reading the OP and I still don't really get what the discussion is supposed to be about.

He basically answers all his own questions perfectly. There's no way any conclusion but XB1 makes sense given your needs. And you even said you can get PS4 when GT7 comes out, so it's not like you'll forever be without a PS4. And by that time Driveclub might actually work perfectly, which would be amazing because mechanically it's one of the best pure racing games I've played in a decade.

It's a thread which answers its own question in the OP itself. Buy an XB1 bro!

Or buy a Wii U. >:)

Virdix

Ive had a PS4 since launch and a Xbox since september.

I can say for myself only, after using my PS4 for so long. I honestly want to kill something when im using the Xbox's UI.

Amir0x

Banned
Ive had a PS4 since launch and a Xbox since september.

I can say for myself only, after using my PS4 for so long. I honestly want to kill something when im using the Xbox's UI.

did the latest update make it better? I haven't played with the XB1 UI since the last two updates. My big complaint is how massive of a step back it is to navigate with a controller vs. the 360, and it's a serious step back in that regard vs. PS4 as well. It seems to me it was made to be navigated with Kinect only in mind, and so the entire design to navigate with a controller was a complete afterthought and it shows. And since Kinect fails to register me and my friends commands at least 30% of the time, it's an exercise in frustration to do it this way too.

When I finally get the XB1 after they drop the ID@Xbox Parity clause, I'd like to feel comfortable navigating the damn UI with a controller :p

The other thing is the embarrassing install times. It is still shocking to me this doesn't remain a bigger controversy. it is one of the worst problems I've ever experienced in all my years gaming re: getting started with a game. Sometimes it feels almost as bad as oldschool installing of fucking PC games over 5 CDs. My friend is always inviting me over to crack the seal on his new XB1 purchases, so I get to come over and sit there while it installs 90% of the time. We basically actually get to make dinner or something while we wait haha

tazz3 said:
Get ps4..

For your own enjoyment? Because literally every reason that he specified in the OP means the XB1 is a smarter option in his case at the moment.

Man, what a shit post.

My thoughts exactly. Outta here with that bullshit power stuff. I just got a PS4 and ya know what? I'm not that impressed considering the previous gen's power coming out of the gate. Honestly I think I should've gotten an XBO until some better exclusives come out for PS4. This gen is clearly way more about games (ie what the OP is concerned with) than power thus far, and XBO has PS4 beat so far in that dept.

vesvci

Banned
Well as a Ps4 owner...... right now X1 seems to be the better deal.

It's cheaperoffers basically the same multiplatform experience (Well... the latest trend seems to be slightly more blurry but with slightly better performance) and offers better exclusives, specially if you are a racing fan (from your post I asume you are).

Sony has done a terrible job this first year. Lackluster exclusives, issues with PSN, basic features still missing, delay in bringing new features to the OS and issues once they finally do, etc.

"Winner" Sony sucks. It's about time X1 starts leading in sales so Sony gets worried and stops screwing around

So you have a PS4? How much did you pay for your DS4 rechargeable battery? What about your DS4 audio adapter?

For the XBO its $25 for the charge kit AND $25 for the audio adapter (I know because that's how much they cost me).

Virdix

did the latest update make it better? I haven't played with the XB1 UI since the last two updates. My big complaint is how massive of a step back it is to navigate with a controller vs. the 360, and it's a serious step back in that regard vs. PS4 as well. It seems to me it was made to be navigated with Kinect only in mind, and so the entire design to navigate with a controller was a complete afterthought and it shows. And since Kinect fails to register me and my friends commands at least 30% of the time, it's an exercise in frustration to do it this way too.

When I finally get the XB1 after they drop the ID@Xbox Parity clause, I'd like to feel comfortable navigating the damn UI with a controller :p

In my opinion its still awful to deal with, i dont have a kinect so i cant compare the two. However, its obviius it was designed to be navigated by voice. My biggest problem is how everything is its own App, like achievements or parties, i have to wait fornthw app to open while snapped and a little longer as it figures out it was opened due to a party invite and then it works on joining the party. It just feels more segmented than it should be.

That and you cant download more than one thing at a time, if you pause one you risk losing progress on the paused download.

If you're hasty then sure, while Sony is not releasing any amazing games this fall NEXT YEAR will be completely different. So, imho opinion don't buy anything just yet.

GravyButt

My thoughts exactly. Outta here with that bullshit power stuff. I just got a PS4 and ya know what? I'm not that impressed considering the previous gen's power coming out of the gate. Honestly I think I should've gotten an XBO until some better exclusives come out for PS4. This gen is clearly way more about games (ie what the OP is concerned with) than power thus far, and XBO has PS4 beat so far in that dept.

I will agree with you for the most part on the games. Although I guess it depends what your really into.

Like halo trumps kill zone. The Last of Us trumps, well not really a good comparison. I think driveclub trumps forza horizon 2 (personal opinion) and little big planet 3 trumps all (once again personal opinion)

I think the op made up his mind in his original post that the xbox one is his way to go for now. But, I also see his point in asking anyways, like I did a few posts up. He wants to just hear some critique from people who own the units respectively, cant say I fault him. Heck, I owned both, and debating if its worth it. I think I decided that yes, im going to eventually rebuy the xbox one simply because of gears of war, and halo. Plus playing madden and fifa with my friends online is so much more satisfying than playing with complete strangers on the ps4.

PS: I just ordered the xbox one unity bundle off toys r us. Had a 10% off coupon (they screwed up an order majorly a few months ago and gave me one thats good on anything) and a $50 gift card. Id say not a bad deal. Also, if anyone wants to trade unity and black flag codes im down with that (specially if its dead rising 3 digitally or fifa 15 digitally)

newsguy

Well switching to Xbox means you'll have to buy a new wheel anyway. FWIW, Sony has left it up to developers/peripheral manufacturers to enable wheel support in their games. MS on the other hand has flat out not even made it an option.

I own both consoles. If you're a racing guy then XBO is the way to go. Driveclub turned out to be a POS and Horizon 2 is a dream. I like all kinds of genres so my PS4 gets more playtime, but the bone is no slouch.

I will agree with you for the most part on the games. Although I guess it depends what your really into.

Like halo trumps kill zone. The Last of Us trumps, well not really a good comparison. I think driveclub trumps forza horizon 2 (personal opinion) and little big planet 3 trumps all (once again personal opinion)

I think the op made up his mind in his original post that the xbox one is his way to go for now. But, I also see his point in asking anyways, like I did a few posts up. He wants to just hear some critique from people who own the units respectively, cant say I fault him. Heck, I owned both, and debating if its worth it. I think I decided that yes, im going to eventually rebuy the xbox one simply because of gears of war, and halo. Plus playing madden and fifa with my friends online is so much more satisfying than playing with complete strangers on the ps4.

PS: I just ordered the xbox one unity bundle off toys r us. Had a 10% off coupon (they screwed up an order majorly a few months ago and gave me one thats good on anything) and a $50 gift card. Id say not a bad deal. Also, if anyone wants to trade unity and black flag codes im down with that (specially if its dead rising 3 digitally or fifa 15 digitally)

Yeah I'm not really into racers myself but can see the appeal towards MS' IPs more for those kind of games. MCC sounds amazing in theory but all the stories about the launch troubles makes me think maybe I'm not missing out too much, though that controller is definitely nicer than the DS4 imo. Will probably pick one up when things like next Gears, Scalebound, etc drop.

Amir0x

Banned
what was all that fh2 talk prelaunch?

Blame Phil Spencer for that one.

My friend as you know offered me an insane deal on it and I was literally a day from pulling the trigger when Phil Spencer made this reaffirmation of a selfish, nonsensical (as it benefits no one, including MS and its fans) and seriously damaging to the most vulnerable devs amongst us policy. Previously in the year he had said they were reevaluating that policy and looking closely, so I thought maybe they were soon to change it. In other words I was giving them the benefit of the doubt they were in the process of soon changing it, because I want an XBO really badly. So I was about to pull the trigger on my friend's offer and then that came out showing they didn't learn a thing.

Because of how important this issue is and because it has been my sole major remaining issue with the platform, seeing Phil so callously reaffirm this stance despite saying earlier in the year they were seriously relooking at the policy really put me off in a huge way.

Literally no one benefits from the parity clause. Not Microsoft, not XBO fans, not indies. Literally every indie who has discussed the parity clause has said it is complete shit. The closest we have to any indie who said it wasn't was a few who simply said it didn't damage them personally. Nobody anywhere says it is a good policy, except Phil Spencer and Microsoft.

Due to the importance of this problem and the absolute vital nature of indies to the future health of this industry, and due to how many friends I have irl and on neoGAF who are indie devs, I can't in good conscience buy the platform until they end this policy. It may seem minor to you, but I cannot stress how essential of a problem this is to me.

Do whatever you want. I got tired of Microsoft and its ecosystem with the 360 so a One isn't too compelling for a buy but hey again, its your money and if you want a Xbone spend it and get Sunset Overdrive.

VanWinkle

I am pretty adept at the XB1 UI now, having had it since May, and I still don't think it's a good OS. The only thing I feel is an outright positive over the PS4 OS is suspend/resume, but the PS4 OS has screenshots and a far more streamlined UI, where nobody's going to ask, "Where is _____?" I myself can use the XB1 OS with little issue, but things like the lack of screenshots frustrate me more than the lack of suspend/resume of PS4, personally. I also have issue with Kinect, where the amount of times it registers my commands is more like 15-20% at best.

I don't think either console has an amazing OS, but it always baffles me how people say the XB1's is so much better. Having used both extensively, I cannot get behind such an opinion. I applaud that they're getting updates out so frequently, and that they have a lot of media apps, but that's just because they were so far behind at launch; they had to get updates out quickly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Blame Phil Spencer for that one.

My friend as you know offered me an insane deal on it and I was literally a day from pulling the trigger when Phil Spencer made this reaffirmation of a selfish, nonsensical (as it benefits no one, including MS and its fans) and seriously damaging to the most vulnerable devs amongst us policy. Previously in the year he had said they were reevaluating that policy and looking closely, so I thought maybe they were soon to change it. In other words I was giving them the benefit of the doubt they were in the process of soon changing it, because I want an XBO really badly. So I was about to pull the trigger on my friend's offer and then that came out showing they didn't learn a thing.

Because of how important this issue is and because it has been my sole major remaining issue with the platform, seeing Phil so callously reaffirm this stance despite saying earlier in the year they were seriously relooking at the policy really put me off in a huge way.

Literally no one benefits from the parity clause. Not Microsoft, not XBO fans, not indies. Literally every indie who has discussed the parity clause has said it is complete shit. The closest we have to any indie who said it wasn't was a few who simply said it didn't damage them personally. Nobody anywhere says it is a good policy, except Phil Spencer and Microsoft.

Due to the importance of this problem and the absolute vital nature of indies to the future health of this industry, and due to how many friends I have irl and on neoGAF who are indie devs, I can't in good conscience buy the platform until they end this policy. It may seem minor to you, but I cannot stress how essential of a problem this is to me.

dude. dont be a martyr. horizon beckons. my rivals list needs a last place

Top Bottom