• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously considering the Xbox1 over the ps4

Uhh if you are a racing fan pick up a ps4 with Driveclub.

Also buying a console for dlna? Lol.

Also, Xbox One is weak as hell son.

FearfulImperturbableCleanerwrasse.gif

Dr. Kaos

Banned
edited because beaten.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but, unless you want to play Drive Club (which despite its current flaws, is apparently the prettiest thing ever), I think you're better served with the Forza 5/horizon on the XB1, while you wait for GT7.

There, I have recommended an XB1!

wachie

The best console racing game right now is broken so go with your original line of thinking.

If you think we are going to talk you out of it, then you're wrong.

Mononoke

Banned
They're both great consoles. I like the Xbone exclusives, but I have both and I don't feel like either was a mistake.

This was unlike last gen, where the PS3 was a steaming pile for the first 2-3 years.

This. The PS4 offers the best version of the game (for the most part). As a gaming console it's a beast. I actually like the UI more than X1 and the install times are amazing (X1 less so). But X1 has some amazing titles. And the controller is incredible. The Xbox live community is more social. The GAF X1 community is amazing with so many nice people.

And honestly, I've found myself getting X1 versions of a game even if it's inferior to my PS4 version just because I love the controller and the community. So yeah it's a tough call.

I'd tell someone to go with the exclusives lined up next year. For me personally, PS4 has more games I want (like Rime, Blood Bourne, Persona 5 and a bunch more). But I also love the X1 games too. So it's all about the line up. If the majority of your games bought are multiplat third party, then maybe PS4 makes more sense. I dunno.

I have both systems and I kind of hate the Xbone at the moment. I don't know if it is the MCC messing up the system but EVERYTHING snapped lags like a motherfucker. Half the time it is impossible to look at an achievement or add someone to my party cause it will get super unresponsive and then will error out. Really ridiculous in 2014 after the 360 worked fine for years. Although, it may just be the MCC messing the entire system up since that game is the buggiest POS ever released.

If I remember correctly, the X1 got full DLNA support in October.

Anyway, I assume you meant the X1 in your OP so I say go for it. You already sound like you made up your mind and now's a good time with the holiday bundles.

Like you said, you can pick up the PS4 when GT7 is here.

Truthfully if he gets a XBone there isn't too much of a reason to get a PS4 unless he is the type that buys all consoles. I see my Wii U and Xbone getting more use and the PS4 library is similar to XBone's with less worthy exclusives

Amir0x

Banned
dude. dont be a martyr. horizon beckons. my rivals list needs a last place

I'm not really a martyr. I want so many games, including Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive and Halo:MCC on the system. Trust me, it's painful. But the true martyr's are the indie devs sweating and toiling having to make either insane sacrifices to support this policy or have to accept one less potential revenue stream in an industry that already has cutthroat margins.

But for me there's more important things than just answering my own personal desires. One of those is supporting the most vulnerable and aspirational devs in the industry against companies that want to be this damningly controlling for no reason. So I stand in solidarity with them.

We have an indie dev on GAF (charlequin I think) who said everything else about the XBO indie program is rad, and in some ways it's better than PS4's indie program now (and I'd agree in some specific ways, like the free stuff they offer indie devs) and that MS is massively more helpful now than they were at the start of the gen. But because of how severe this problem is, even if he could get an exception to the parity clause for his game he's developing he refuses to seek it out because he doesn't just want to selfishly benefit himself. He cares about his friends and co-workers in the industry who are also struggling and have to deal with Microsoft making it brutal for them for no good logical reason. And he wants it to end for them all before he will dev the XBO (he actually has XBO dev kits sitting in front of him all the time ready to go).

I respect the issue may not be important for others, but out of all their policies, this is a seriously big problem and it's one of the worst. It has got to stop. Due to this policy Microsoft has literally under half the amount of indie devs committed to bring games to the platform vs. PS4 and a similarly huge amount of indie games (read: hundreds) it's not getting vs. PS4. XBO gamers are indisputably receiving less great games because of it (already many titles that confirmed they haven't come to system due to parity clause), MS is receiving less revenue due to less developers bringing games to platform, indie devs are being forced to make insane unreasonable changes to their development in order to be allowed to release their product on XBO... changes that can critically damage their dev cycle or their financial state just to appease a policy that is not working.

I wish there was another easier way to get into your mind and illustrate just how bad this policy is, not just to me but to the industry at large, but this is the best I can do.

It's very important, insomuch as anything is important in the videogame industry.

Duxxy3

Truthfully if he gets a XBone there isn't too much of a reason to get a PS4 unless you buy all consoles.

Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, GT7. Whatever SSM, Bend and MM have cooked up. There are some genre's that I prefer a dualshock.

Those are my own reasons for looking at a PS4 next year. Then you can add in all of the stuff that we don't even know about yet.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm not really a martyr. I want so many games, including Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive and Halo:MCC on the system. Trust me, it's painful. But the true martyr's are the indie devs sweating and toiling having to make either insane sacrifices to support this policy or have to accept one less potential revenue stream in an industry that already has cutthroat margins.

But for me there's more important things than just answering my own personal desires. One of those is supporting the most vulnerable and aspirational devs in the industry against companies that want to be this damningly controlling for no reason. So I stand in solidarity with them.

We have an indie dev on GAF (charlequin I think) who said everything else about the XBO indie program is rad, and in some ways it's better than PS4's indie program now (and I'd agree in some specific ways, like the free stuff they offer indie devs) and that MS is massively more helpful now than they were at the start of the gen. But because of how severe this problem is, even if he could get an exception to the parity clause for his game he's developing he refuses to seek it out because he doesn't just want to selfishly benefit himself. He cares about his friends and co-workers in the industry who are also struggling and have to deal with Microsoft making it brutal for them for no good logical reason. And he wants it to end for them all before he will dev the XBO (he actually has XBO dev kits sitting in front of him all the time ready to go).

I respect the issue may not be important for others, but out of all their policies, this is a seriously big problem and it's one of the worst. It has got to stop. Due to this policy Microsoft has literally under half the amount of indie devs committed to bring games to the platform vs. PS4 and a similarly huge amount of indie games (read: hundreds) it's not getting vs. PS4. XBO gamers are indisputably receiving less great games because of it (already many titles that confirmed they haven't come to system due to parity clause), MS is receiving less revenue due to less developers bringing games to platform, indie devs are being forced to make insane unreasonable changes to their development in order to be allowed to release their product on XBO... changes that can critically damage their dev cycle or their financial state just to appease a policy that is not working.

I wish there was another easier way to get into your mind and illustrate just how bad this policy is, not just to me but to the industry at large, but this is the best I can do.

It's very important, insomuch as anything is important in the videogame industry.

i get it. and props to you.

RBK

Banned
The One controller is vastly superior for sure. But rumble triggers add to the experience? I don't agree. Gimmick at best.

What makes it gimmicky? I can't speak for you, but I'll love it implemented in future console generations.

I have a ps4 but for media stuff I will eventually get a xbox 1. No gamer stays a one console person the entire cycle, everyone gets multiple consoles eventually

I have an Xbox One and a gaming pc.

I love my Xbox One. It is great for media. It streams media wirelessly from my desktop of laptop, and it will play avi's and stuff from USB sticks. I didn't even have to set that stuff up. It just auto detects when I have my computer on. It's awesome. The HBO Go app came out today as well, and it has the NFL app. I cancelled cable and now just use my Xbox One as my primary media streaming device.

I'll pick up a PS4 when the next Uncharted game comes out. I dig Sony products, but I prefer the Xbox Controller and online service.

I only have a ps4 ATM but I would 100% recommend the holiday xone bundles over the ps4. It is a really good value and the games are great

_Clash_

Mentioned it the other day.

As a wii u + hd6850 pc owner I can see a situation where I am interested in an X1 over ps4. My friends will be X1 so that helps. It also helps that this hardware/ graphics difference will be negligible to my eyes and may encourage MS to focus on art direction/ colours in exclusives.

Will MS continue to buy or comission "cult" titles ala Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, Scalebound etc?

If I hear more AAA cult titles I need day 1 announced and a ridic 2015 Xmas price. Well I might be there.

Gimme Dino Crisis and Jet Force Gemini MS (or similar)

Happy to back in a corporate entity that throws a bank roll to get exciting titles on their platform that may otherwise not exist.

I have no loyalty to either these companies.

C4Lukins

I've gotten every system day 1 except for this generation. I got my money ready and the plan was to buy the ps4. However, thinking about it now, I can't think of any real reason why i should. I'm in there for racing games and I got a ps3 over an 360 because of the wheel support.

Sony seems to have fucked up wheel support and most of all, no DLNA so far. I usually got the PS and then waited for the Xbox and then the 360 to drop big in price and pick up some good used games. Now i'm thinking of doing the opposite.

I can get the 360 for much less money, pick up Forza used and GTAV for about the price of a ps4. Then when GT7 comes out pick up a ps4 then.

Does the Xbox1 have DLNA? Anyone that have only one system so far pine away for the other?

Dont do it. You will become a part of the Neogaf minority, and actually have to justify your position and joy for the console with every post. It is not worth it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It sounds like the OP has a PS3. That's a better media box than Xbone or PS4. Plus it doesn't have Xbone's fucked gamma.

Liberty4all

Banned
I've gotten every system day 1 except for this generation. I got my money ready and the plan was to buy the ps4. However, thinking about it now, I can't think of any real reason why i should. I'm in there for racing games and I got a ps3 over an 360 because of the wheel support.

Sony seems to have fucked up wheel support and most of all, no DLNA so far. I usually got the PS and then waited for the Xbox and then the 360 to drop big in price and pick up some good used games. Now i'm thinking of doing the opposite.

I can get the 360 for much less money, pick up Forza used and GTAV for about the price of a ps4. Then when GT7 comes out pick up a ps4 then.

Does the Xbox1 have DLNA? Anyone that have only one system so far pine away for the other?

Get the system that has the games you want to play and the features you want.

Edit: I still use my PS3 daily to stream video and Netflix (love the ps3 remote).

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

Wow! As something I've never really thought about and not really looked into. Great post. I like triple A games because that's why I buy consoles. I buy indies on pc if they look good to me. Very good post and I respect your stance on this! Ms needs to change it.

I think the xbone Is the better option but both consoles have had an average year. The Xbox just gas forza 5 and forza horizon 2 plus sunset. So I'd go with that

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Racing? Xbox One by a HUGE MARGIN. It's not even close. Forza 5 is good and Horizon 2 is amazing. Driveclub is a fucking mess and still broken -- a shameful display of stagnant incompetence by Sony.

Gran Turismo 7 will come, but probably not for a few years. Plus, X1 is available for cheap right now.

Driving? Take whatever console cause Project Cars is gonna be on both (probably running a bit better on PS4 though...)

Another corridor racer?

To the OP, there are big differentiators between the two so you'll never get a consensus here just personal opinion. What matters to you? but I do think PS4 will have DLNA support so I wouldn't use that. Things like TV options (XB1) shareplay (PS4) are big differentiators, but as I mentioned it is only a personal opinion.

Ushay

Sounds like Xbox One would be a good choice, unless you have the patience for some serious racers come to PS4.

Otherwise You have Forza 5 & Horizon 2 to pick from. Alos as numerous folk have already said, DLNA support is in, as well as a lot of great apps.

kitch9

Banned
Truthfully if he gets a XBone there isn't too much of a reason to get a PS4 unless he is the type that buys all consoles. I see my Wii U and Xbone getting more use and the PS4 library is similar to XBone's with less worthy exclusives

Yeah man, I heard all of Sony's studios have just sat round quaffing tea since they finished their last PS3 game.

I don't think Sony have told them that the PS4 exists yet.

OP, buy what you were to buy, starting a thread which basically asks everyone to assert their bias (I'm biased) probably won't get you anywhere.

having all three in front of me it just depends on the game you wanna play at this point and time, so if racing is your thing and you want some DLNA then I'd go Xbox.

My PS4 is more or less my streaming/showing off console and my wii u and xbox are my screw around consoles.

If you were a fighting game guy I'd tell you go PS4 for sure, lots of fruits budding (Guilty Gear, SkullGirls and Tekken) and there's even a driver lab zero has that makes some PS3 arcade sticks compatible with the PS4 (it's open to use too, hopefully more devs use it)

Yeah man, I heard all of Sony's studios have just sat round quaffing tea since they finished their last PS3 game.

I don't think Sony have told them that the PS4 exists yet.

OP, buy what you were to buy, starting a thread which basically asks everyone to assert their bias (I'm biased) probably won't get you anywhere.

Oh shush. What a stupid post. I have both xbox and ps4 but come on...

Amir0x

Banned
Wow! As something I've never really thought about and not really looked into. Great post. I like triple A games because that's why I buy consoles. I buy indies on pc if they look good to me. Very good post and I respect your stance on this! Ms needs to change it.

I think the xbone Is the better option but both consoles have had an average year. The Xbox just gas forza 5 and forza horizon 2 plus sunset. So I'd go with that

I just want to say it's really inspiring to see when someone really looks into an issue because of a post (especially if it's one I wrote hehe), because it shows me how many good, intellectually honest gamers we have on neoGAF and goes a way toward showing why this community is so special.

I'm a stubborn guy but there's been more than one occasion I read a very in depth post and have altered my views in some way due to it. It's great when we can look internally and analyze our perspectives and then see if it fits in light of new information. Anyway, thanks for that morning pep up, really made me happy to hear.

I want an XBO so bad so whenever MS does change this policy, I hope you'll challenge me to some Forza Horizon 2 races as well if you have that game :D

Krakn3Dfx

Buy the one you want and then pick up a Fire TV Stick for DLNA streaming, which is head and shoulders over what either console is offering right now. FTV Stick+TVMC=streaming goodness.

Then get an X1. I find it weird that threads like this always make it seem like getting an X1 is something special and/or frowned upon

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Uhh if you are a racing fan pick up a ps4 with Driveclub.

Also buying a console for dlna? Lol.

Also, Xbox One is weak as hell son.
Shit post of the year?

EDIT: OP get that suits you best, I have an XB1 and love FH2 and FM5, I can't comment on the PS4 as I don't own one but as others have said GT should appear in the next few years if you happy to wait.

DNLA and div x to stream is unstoppable :) seems to play everything :)

As a owner of both the XB1 is by far my favouite and most used so far

cormack12

Gold Member
Sounds like you are definitely going to get a PS4 in the future no matter what because of GT7.

Would you really invest in an Xbox One, wheel and a Gold subscription to replace it further down the line? From what I've heard Forza is pretty good, but so is Driveclub. And you have Horizon on the Xbox One as well - but it surely makes more sense to #jumpin on the ecosystem you will eventually land in right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
did the latest update make it better? I haven't played with the XB1 UI since the last two updates. My big complaint is how massive of a step back it is to navigate with a controller vs. the 360, and it's a serious step back in that regard vs. PS4 as well. It seems to me it was made to be navigated with Kinect only in mind, and so the entire design to navigate with a controller was a complete afterthought and it shows. And since Kinect fails to register me and my friends commands at least 30% of the time, it's an exercise in frustration to do it this way too.

When I finally get the XB1 after they drop the ID@Xbox Parity clause, I'd like to feel comfortable navigating the damn UI with a controller :p

The other thing is the embarrassing install times. It is still shocking to me this doesn't remain a bigger controversy. it is one of the worst problems I've ever experienced in all my years gaming re: getting started with a game. Sometimes it feels almost as bad as oldschool installing of fucking PC games over 5 CDs. My friend is always inviting me over to crack the seal on his new XB1 purchases, so I get to come over and sit there while it installs 90% of the time. We basically actually get to make dinner or something while we wait haha

For your own enjoyment? Because literally every reason that he specified in the OP means the XB1 is a smarter option in his case at the moment.

Was snap center in when you used it? That makes it a lot easier to handle snapping things - previously I'd often get stuck trying to work out how to unsnap something with a controller and it'd get annoying. But snap center makes it much simpler to unsnap or change apps. Almost nice to use (although the double tap on the home button is a bit hit and miss sometimes)

The rest of the UI is still a bit controller unfriendly but usable. I suppose if I pinned every game I had installed it would be easier to use - at least I'd know to go left to find it, whereas now I sometimes hesitate to think 'did I pin that one or do I have to go to games and apps?' But then my pins would be unwieldy. I'd quite like it to auto pin some things I use regularly - maybe reserve a couple of columns for those (I know it does something like that at the botto of the home screen but I'd just like everything in one place)

Gotta love all the backhanded comments about GT not coming for a few years. When Kaz has said at a number of interviews he is aiming for 2015/16, and previous delays were due to PS3 architecture.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gotta love all the backhanded comments about GT not coming for a few years. When Kaz has said at a number of interviews he is aiming for 2015/16, and previous delays were due to PS3 architecture.

Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt though? I'd say being sceptical and then pleasantly surprised if he meets his dates is the best way to approach GT.

Yes the XBO has DLNA streaming. By all means pick it up, there's enough to play in most genres to keep your interest. You can always pick up a PS4 next year.

Does that mean you can use programmes like PS3 media server on the XB1 now?

I pretty much use my PS3 as my media machines for anything to do with music/photos/shows etc.

Amir0x

Banned
Was snap center in when you used it? That makes it a lot easier to handle snapping things - previously I'd often get stuck trying to work out how to unsnap something with a controller and it'd get annoying. But snap center makes it much simpler to unsnap or change apps. Almost nice to use (although the double tap on the home button is a bit hit and miss sometimes)

The rest of the UI is still a bit controller unfriendly but usable. I suppose if I pinned every game I had installed it would be easier to use - at least I'd know to go left to find it, whereas now I sometimes hesitate to think 'did I pin that one or do I have to go to games and apps?' But then my pins would be unwieldy. I'd quite like it to auto pin some things I use regularly - maybe reserve a couple of columns for those (I know it does something like that at the botto of the home screen but I'd just like everything in one place)

snap was in but I only saw it used maybe three times in the entire year since I've been going over my friends house and playing XBO. It was stupidly slow at first, but it definitely is much snappier now. Snap is not a feature I'll be using when I get an XBO though so that part of the UI is unimportant to me.

Anyway, thanks for the expanded analysis of the UI. I have a few big concerns about the XBO design, particularly the install times and the way it's unfriendly for controller navigation, but it seems like they're actively improving this issue if I'm reading you correctly. Certainly nothing to prevent me from getting an XBO as soon as MS ends the ID@Xbox Parity clause.

Top Bottom