• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously? FUCK Cross-Gen games!

Zaku

OP, that money is stuff they feel they can use for better things.

I've got most of the consoles I do because I'm currently single, have no children, and my only real obligations are rent and making sure my two cats don't starve/run out of shitsand, and I have no real interest in clubbing on Friday/Saturday nights the way my friends do.

Everyone has a budget, and I can understand not wanting to spend hundreds of pounds on a game console which is the smallest visual fidelity upgrade yet.

See, before the PS3 -> PS4 generation, we didn't need god-damned Digital Foundry to point out the differences to people. Someone who went from SNES to N64 or PS1 saw an immediate, drastic shift in capabilities. This went for PS1 to PS2 (Dynasty Warriors 2 was a god-damned system seller at the time, just for the amount of enemies on screen), and even for PS2 to PS3, especially if you had an HDTV.

While the PS3 to PS4 shift is dramatic in terms of processing power, RAM, and other technical specifications, the end result of all that extra processing power is far less dramatic to the naked eye. Ground Zeroes looks better on PS4 versus PS3, but there's no groundbreaking shift there.

Prepare to be even more disappointed with your friends next gen. They'll see even less reason to upgrade until they have to six years from now.

As someone who regularly gets new consoles, this is probably the first time in my life that I truly do not feel any temptation to upgrade.

This may be the final console generation.

ksdixon

What a piece of shit OP. If you are really serious about it then why don't you buy them a next gen console tough guy?

Serious or Sarcasm? If I worked and had lots of disposable income I might just consider it. At least chip-in a little. Since it would benefit me to keep the group together too. But obviously, from reading the rest of the thread, that's not able to happen.

Steroyd

Right topic, wrong reasons.

I believe GTAV on PS4One are going to have 30 player lobbies, it's that type of shit that would have GREATLY benefitted something like Destiny... well Destiny needs more ways to communicate to people, but it is something on the list regardless. 16 player tower lobbies are too small.

McLovin

That's not how it works. In case PS4 games are able to directly access the hardware and don't have to use some API to access GPU and such, then backward compatibility is difficult. Even with an API it's difficult (see all sorts of PC games, that don't work properly on latest Windows version). PS5 would have to use a GPU, that is compatible to the old one (like Wii U GPU for example). And there may be more hurdles.

Of course - there is the other question - why should Sony even implement that next generation? PS4 Gamers don't seem to care and instead even like it to buy their favorite game a second time on the latest hardware. Sony half-assed it last generation and don't even offer it at all this generation. Also: Sony wants to push their Playstation Now service. Wouldn't make sense to offer backward compatibilty then wouldn't it?

Play PS4 games on PS5 (*)

(*) through PS Now service. Additional charges apply.
I thought the whole point of x86 was to make the thing scalable. And there's a difference between BC and remasters. They can still make money by re-mastering 1080p 30fps games to 4k 60 fps in the next generation(Or at least 1080p 60fps Max PC settings).

Zaku

As someone who regularly gets new consoles, this is probably the first time in my life that I truly do not feel any temptation to upgrade.

This may be the final console generation.

Not even close.

Streaming isn't a solution to consoles, it's a bandaid. Setting aside internet connection problems taking out your entire library, someone has to pay for the computing power and bandwidth, so if you want streaming to be your solution you'll be renting games, not buying them.

We'll see the last console generation when 4k displays are in every home, with consoles capable of outputting games at 4k resolution, with 3D models which can't be realized better on a 4k resolution, and with games which don't feature textures, because the lightmapping and 3D engine are actually rendering the materials on such a fine level that the "texture" is actually a 3D model.

We're nowhere near close to being the final generation of consoles.

jimi_dini

I thought the whole point of x86 was to make the thing scalable.

scalable? Cheap!

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/200382/PS4s_Mark_Cerny_explains_why_Sony_opted_for_the_x86.php

(At first) I wasn't deciding whether the x86 would be the chip. I was trying to work out whether it would be an option. If your only option is the Power PC, it's very restrictive in terms of hardware vendors. If you can also use the x86, you can talk to anyone out there who makes technology."

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously OP? You're pissed off that your friends aren't upgrading their systems like you? If it's such a big deal to you maybe you should have checked with your friends before buying a PS4.

I've said this before but I'm glad that cross-gen games exist. I'm not ready to buy a PS4 just yet and I'm happy that I can continue to play games on my PS3.

Szadek

Terrible thread,op doesn't even mention any problems with cross-gen games and just tells people to buy a new console ,they won't need, as long as cross-gen games exists.

As long as cross-gen games are viabel(both in terms of sales and playability) they shouldn't go away,because they are beneficial for gamers and developers.

Gojeran

Cross gen is insane as is the entitlement issues of people who refuse to upgrade hardware after what 9 fucking years? In any prior gen it would have been unheard of to expect to be able to play new games on old machines but now it's you will release x y z games on old ass hardware or there will be an Internet shit storm, I demand new experiences on my old shit! Would anybody in there right mind have expected to be able to play Super Mario World on their fucking NES because they refused to upgrade hardware to the new and more powerful SNES... No, no they wouldn't expect that cause it's fucking insanity.

Last Gen gaming is not going to die until 2016. You should just calm down. You should be mad more at developers for making Next Gen versions suck instead. I respect Titanfall and Garden Warfare for not doing that.

Daingurse

Are you really trying to tell these people to buy a new console, really? Unless you're buying, you can really shut that shit down. If these people are content to play on last-gen hardware, who are you to tell them anything? I want full currentgen games too, but crossgen games will continue to exist, and there are some people buying them. Cross-gen games don't bother me with their existence though, I find that attitude odd.

Zaku

Cross gen is insane as is the entitlement issues of people who refuse to upgrade hardware after what 9 fucking years? In any prior gen it would have been unheard of to expect to be able to play new games on old machines but now it's you will release x y z games on old ass hardware or there will be an Internet shit storm, I demand new experiences on my old shit! Would anybody in there right mind have expected to be able to play Super Mario World on their fucking NES because they refused to upgrade hardware to the new and more powerful SNES... No, no they wouldn't expect that cause it's fucking insanity.

Stupid argument.

Before this gen, game consoles couldn't run next-gen games just by bumping down the resolution, textures, and model quality. This is the first generation where the majority of the processing power and GPU updates are going more towards expanding how good the game looks versus how good the game runs.

This is the way forward.

All other previous gens, releasing a version of a game which would run on older hardware would have entailed basically rebuilding the game from scratch. It was done (rarely), because it wasn't worth the investment.

Now, it's a simple matter of managing graphics expectations. You can get the awesome version in 1080p with 4X AA and such for PS4, or the alright version in 720p without the bells and whistles for PS3.

You could not scale back Uncharted enough to run on the PS2. You could not scale back Dynasty Warriors 2 enough to run on the PS1. You could not scale back Crash Bandicoot enough to run on a SNES. You could not scale back Star Fox enough to run on a NES.

This is good. Even if they're gimped, more games for more people is always a good thing.

xam3l

Lets say you like COD, FIFA, AssCreed, BF etc. If those games, theoretically, stay releasing on PS3/360 every year, like sports games usually tend to do... would you ever have a reason to upgrade?

If I was your friend and we played together online... would you expect me to buy two copies of the game, or only the last gen version?

I'm aware there's an upfront cost of the console, but once that's out of the way, things improve. We could still play together, we could share clips, you could try out a game which doesn't have a demo without having to buy the game via shareplay etc.

Lets take my case. I dont care about any of those multiplatform games. So ther is no reason for upgrade. There are plenty of good exclusives, indies and other games that catch my eye easily that the most popular ones. And dont take me for an hipster, I freaking love series like Uncharted, Halo, Forza and Gran Turismo.

I wont pay for a platform that doesn't show what I want.

And when I'm buying a game or platform I do not care if someone close to me is going to play or buying it either. It's my money and my choice. If it happens to all of us have the same game, great. If not, there are plenty of communities for that matter.

Actually I do know people who are on benefits and I have no issue at all with what they are getting. They all have one thing in common though. They cant afford a PS4 in the timeframe that you stated you can (if at all)

The fact the you have points to that you are over-claiming or claiming for things and diverting money from its intended purpose to pay for your gaming.

Both are called fraud btw

Oh bullshit! My girlfriend is stuck with a life long condition which I've opted to care for and as a result am on the benefit system. She is completely unable to work and needs somebody to take care of her, something I couldn't afford on my measly pay leaving me little choice but to do it myself. The government chooses a rate from one of 3 options and decides which category we fall into for disability, care and mobility then gives the amount they chose. They never tried to express any concern over what I should or shouldn't be spending it on.

When the disability is a lot more severe so is the amount you receive so some people will be on better than the average wage on the benefit system. For someone who has friends on it you have a really poor understanding of it and are extremely short sighted.

According to your train of thought she should have to suffer a life of bare minimum because I couldn't land an executive job in time, which is pretty messed up to be honest.

Tevious

I thought this thread was going to be about games being graphically held back by last gen.

Buy your friends PS4s or make new friends with PS4s. Problem solved.

KooopaKid

Banned
Fuck, seems to me your friends and family are perfectly rational. They are right to wait. No absolutely must haves yet and prices will only go down.

Mozendo

I have no problems with cross-gen titles, there's still a market for them and it's still the same experience.

Cross gen is insane as is the entitlement issues of people who refuse to upgrade hardware after what 9 fucking years?
Entitlement issues? This thread is honestly way too much.

Would anybody in there right mind have expected to be able to play Super Mario World on their fucking NES because they refused to upgrade hardware to the new and more powerful SNES... No, no they wouldn't expect that cause it's fucking insanity.
Cross gen titles existed back then too.

Green Yoshi

I LOVE cross-gen games, because I don't have to waste money on a new console to play games I want.

This.

I will buy a PS4 in 2015 for Witcher 3 and Batman, but this holiday season I'm fine with my 360. Still have to decide whether I buy Dragon Age: Inquisition or Assassin's Creed Rogue.

I'm a little bit disappointed with Next-gen. Yesterday I read a Asssassin's Creed Unity preview, that said Unity looked way better on a PC at the E3. I can't remember that Asassin's Creed 1 (2007) and Asassin's Creed 2 (2009) looked way better on PC. It's true for Assassin's Creed 3, but in 2012 the Xbox 360 was seven years old. The Xbox One is one year old and games look already way better on PC.

arit

Unless they deliver a better framerate, why pay more? If the game's good, graphical fidelity doesn't matter much.

njean777

While I agree they should concentrate more on current gen, I do not have a problem with people saving money for the time being.

pixlexic

Banned
I hate to break this to you, but next gen games aren't going to magically get a lot better or better looking even without last hen ports.

As a tax payer I couldn't give a flying fuck about the tiny percentage of the UKs debt that is attributed to benefit claimants (less than a %!) , as a company owner, I am incensed that the general British public are still willing to chastise and attack the poorest most vulnerable sections of society rather than go after the tax avoiding rule bending elite where 90+% of our indebtedness comes from.

As a liberal, I have to agree with this, BUT:

Sitting there posting on a games message board about how "cheap" or "casual" his friends who work for a living are because they won't run out and buy expensive new hardware that is less than a year old is incredibly douchey and running with an undercurrent of entitlement.

Izuna

Banned
Serious or Sarcasm? If I worked and had lots of disposable income I might just consider it. At least chip-in a little. Since it would benefit me to keep the group together too. But obviously, from reading the rest of the thread, that's not able to happen.
Lol chip in to keep a group happy? Hahahaha

Green Yoshi

this. I do not give a single shit about graphics. I like to save money.

Graphics are important to me, but I compare the games with other games on the system, not with the Next-gen version. For a 360-game Destiny looks really nice, although it's not as beautiful as the PS4/X1 version.

recursive

But that argument QUICKLY loses all it's momentum when you realize that people who're in employment are on a lot more money that I am, and it only took me a month of saving a little out of three benefit payments (after paying rent, bills and food etc) in order for me to walk down to my local TESCOS and pick up a PS4 for £350, and a copy of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

Benefit payments? Although I agree with your overall premise of pushing for current Gen vs last Gen releases, this is where your argument starts to fall apart. Technically you can't afford a ps4 either.

Momentary

Banned
Why the hell would a company not make a game cross-gen when theirs such a huge install base? Companies like money. If they tried the OPs tactic into "forcing" people to go current -gen, then they wouldn't make anywhere near as much. Out of everyone I know personally, only one has a current-gen system, which is the X1. It would kind of be a poor move for a developer to only release on these new systems.

Journey

Banned
You think this Gen is bad? Last Gen we had to go 2 years before we started to really see the Gen kick off, partly because the consoles launched a year apart. The Gen started in 2005, but it wasn't until 2007 when things had just started to get really good. I think with both Xbox One and PS4 out at the same time, and with the Wii U serving up the ball initially, we're in a much better position this time. I've never seen so many great titles so early in the Gen.

My problem with cross-gen games is that I get the distinct impression that last-gen limitations are putting gameplay limitations on current consoles. For example, I suspect a lot of Destny's faults when it comes to scale and player count are down to the limitations of the PS3 and 360.

Petrae

Why the hell would a company not make a game cross-gen when theirs such a huge install base? Companies like money. If they tried the OPs tactic into "forcing" people to go current -gen, then they wouldn't make anywhere near as much. Out of everyone I know personally, only one has a current-gen system, which is the X1. It would kind of be a poor move for a developer to only release on these new systems.

Pretty much. Once you play the "Upgrade Ultimatum" card, you can expect to lose consumers you once had. That leads to lower overall revenue... which publishers don't want.

Not that Gen7 support should continue to go on infinitely, of course, but PS4/XBO haven't even been on shelves for a year yet. It's too soon to force consumers to upgrade; more will walk away than spend the money.

Purest 78

Burn last gen consoles with fire,1st generation I've seen like this. Every generation before the focus went to new hardware, I can't wait until current gen gets the focus it deserves. Destiny is a great example of last gen holding back current gen.

I realize that not everyone can afford a new console. But that argument QUICKLY loses all it's momentum when you realize that people who're in employment are on a lot more money that I am, and it only took me a month of saving a little out of three benefit payments (after paying rent, bills and food etc) in order for me to walk down to my local TESCOS and pick up a PS4 for £350, and a copy of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. The PS+ game(s) kept me stocked-up until I could afford to pick something else-up two weeks later, and so-on. Someone who is on a full time wage wouldn't have to save-up for a month in advance, or wait a further two weeks to get a second retail game etc.

Good to know you live in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Here in Spain a PS4 costs about the same than a month of minimum wage, while living costs (including rent) are about the same as in the UK. That's, of course, assuming you even are lucky enough to have a job. Most people are both going back to live with their parents (at 30, 40 or even 50 years old) and selling their consoles, not buy new ones. I'm lucky to be a software engineer, but many of my friends and acquaintances are less lucky.

igor

I realize that not everyone can afford a new console. But that argument QUICKLY loses all it's momentum when you realize that people who're in employment are on a lot more money that I am, and it only took me a month of saving a little out of three benefit payments (after paying rent, bills and food etc) in order for me to walk down to my local TESCOS and pick up a PS4 for £350, and a copy of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. The PS+ game(s) kept me stocked-up until I could afford to pick something else-up two weeks later, and so-on. Someone who is on a full time wage wouldn't have to save-up for a month in advance, or wait a further two weeks to get a second retail game etc. And the fact that now that time has gone-on the console isn't always £350, sometimes it's £330, or £320, or sometimes has a game bundled-in etc.

People in full time employment have probably better things to do than to spend about 300+ pounds on a game console they probably won't have that much time to play on because they are busy with more important things. Like for example earning money for themselves. ...And probably supporting your gaming habit.

Get real mate.

jdmonmou

I get that cross-gen games prevent developers from truly taking advantage of next-gen console power. But I think this is ultimately a good thing for gamers. It's wonderful that you can still play the latest titles on a console you brought back in 2005. That's some good value right there. I hope the current crop of consoles last as long as the previous gen.

Top Bottom