• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously how can Sony get away with all this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Okay, before any of you go full fanboyish on me.

No this is NOT a platform warring post. My controller has failed to the rubber on the thumb stick to peel of after very little usage.

Normally been using my ps4 for youtube and Netflix, I've played fortnite heavily since December.

During my last match I started to notice having cracks in the rubber.

I know there was fuss about it back then, but apparently that shit still happens.

But it shouldn't happen at all. How the f can Sony get away with shit like this?

Even the new dualsense has drifting issues because its not made well enough.

Nintendo are also shitty with their switch controllers. My right stick has an annoying spring sound to it, but at least it doesn't affect the gameplay.

Edit: thread should have a better name, a more clear name, sorry about that. Going out to buy another controller I guess.

Also, inserted pictures for those who thinks I'm just hating without any context:
IMG-20210324-010323.jpg

My controller after not much usage.

Last edited:

N30RYU

I buy grips for my controllers since had the same problem with the DS4... twice.

Even the cheapest ones are better than the rubber they used on DS4... now I have moved them to my dualsense... just in case...

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I have 3 Dualshock 4's. The only problem i had with them was that the rubber on the left analogue stick from my DS4 which came with my original PS4 back in 2014 started to peel off some years ago.
Never had any drift problems though.

The_Mike

It happens to every controller. I’m more Xbox guy and the same shit happens with them. It’s just wear and tear. Everything deteriorates at some point.
Yeah I think I know what you're talking about but if it's that this is different.

On my xbox controller the rubber just gets "wiped" off by being used, but this straight up cracks and make it unusable.

Do you even own a Playstation? Show us a pic of all the PlayStations you've owned with today's newspaper in the background. While you're at it, send us a pic of all the Platinum trophies you have and if you have less than 10, don't even bother.

:p

Give me a sec have to take out my cc card and personal I'd to confirm its me.

Last edited:

Barakov

I have 3 Dualshock 4's. The only problem i had with them was that the rubber on the left analogue stick from my DS4 which came with my original PS4 back in 2014 started to peel off some years ago.
Never had any drift problems though.
Same here. I had my launch PS4 controller with the same issue. The second PS4 controller I bought and the one that came with my pro have been rock solid. One of the things you have to deal with when you're an early adapter.

Topher

Gold Member
Just an FYI, it isn't very hard to replace the thumbsticks if you don't mind opening up your controller. You can even use Xbox or Elite replacements.

Amazon.com: Gam3Gear 8 in 1 Replacement Swap thumbsticks Fits with Open Tool for for PS4 DualShock 4 Controller Xbox One Elite Controller Xbox One Controller: Video Games

I used something like this on my DS4. Gives you the ability to replace thumbsticks like Xbox Elite does.

or just buy regular replacements.

Amazon.com: Gam3Gear 8 in 1 Replacement Swap thumbsticks Fits with Open Tool for for PS4 DualShock 4 Controller Xbox One Elite Controller Xbox One Controller: Video Games

Last edited:
Where did you get the controller? Was it old stock? Because I heard about this early in ps4's cycle but not since the pro. Since I waited until the pro to buy a ps4, I never had controller issues.

The_Mike

Your controller is dirty as hell.

It's dusty. But thanks for your input.

Just an FYI, it isn't very hard to replace the thumbsticks if you don't mind opening up your controller. You can even use Xbox or Elite replacements.

I used something like this on my DS4. Gives you the ability to replace thumbsticks like Xbox Elite does.

Will look into that, but still shitty i even have to do that. Think I will get some of those thumb rubbers on it even though I have mixed experience with something like that.

Where did you get the controller? Was it old stock? Because I heard about this early in ps4's cycle but not since the pro. Since I waited until the pro to buy a ps4, I never had controller issues.

It was before the pro. I think it's about... Five years ago or so.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
A few tips:
Don't leave your controllers in direct sun light
Wash your hands!
Clean the controller every so often. You can use rubbing alcohol and give it a good "de-oiling".
Spend 4.00 on amazon for some replacement controller nubs

It was before the pro. I think it's about... Five years ago or so.
So yeah, i'm not the one to defend these corpos esp. Sony, but that's probably why. As far as I know, new controllers don't have this issue. Time will tell on the later controllers I suppose.

Shitty this was ever an issue, whatever the case. I mean shit, even Nintendo on the 64, with loose sticks. Every company doesn't give a shit, MS with stick drift on 360, sticky buttons on Xb1 etc.

Last edited:

The_Mike

A few tips:
Don't leave your controllers in direct sun light
Wash your hands!
Clean the controller every so often. You can use rubbing alcohol and give it a good "de-oiling".
Spend 4.00 on amazon for some replacement controller nubs
It's never in the sun, it's on my TV table in my bedroom.
No, I do not use ps4 for "that".
I have ocd. My hands are more dry than Sahara because I fear germs (I'm serious)
I don't think deoiling helps soft rubber like this, actually the opposite.

So yeah, i'm not the one to defend these corpos esp. Sony, but that's probably why. As far as I know, new controllers don't have this issue. Time will tell on the later controllers I suppose.

Shitty this was ever an issue, whatever the case. I mean shit, even Nintendo on the 64, with loose sticks. Every company doesn't give a shit, MS with stick drift on 360, sticky buttons on Xb1 etc.

Yeah I also burned through some xbox controllers with a sticky b button. The only controller I never had issues with is the Xbox elite and the Xbox 360. So far.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Wash your hands before playing.

Being serious; there are bacteria that thrive on eating rubber. They are called rubbermites, and we carry them in our hands.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I don't think deoiling helps soft rubber like this, actually the opposite.
Nope. There are specific cleaners for rubber and leather that will clean them up really nice!

If you have ever had a mouse or tv remote that over time develops an extremely sticky residue (from the plastic/rubber breaking down) those cleaners do wonders.
Same thing with leather furniture that gets oil build up from contact with human skin over time.

The_Mike

Nope. There are specific cleaners for rubber and leather that will clean them up really nice!

If you have ever had a mouse or tv remote that over time develops an extremely sticky residue (from the plastic/rubber breaking down) those cleaners do wonders.
Same thing with leather furniture that gets oil build up from contact with human skin over time.

Tbh never heard of it. But have never had any use for it until now.

It still seems like it is or was a common issue with a specific generation of ps4 controllers.

I still say Sony are at fault for the build quality here. Just like ms was with xbo controller with sticky buttons etc.

Zeroing

Banned
This alt is finally coming around. Didn't take long 🤣🤣🤣
What is an alt? Should I google it? My point is everyone just complains about one company! If the thread was how can the gaming companies get away with shitty controllers yeah this would be a civilized tropic!

SLB1904

Banned
Tbh never heard of it. But have never had any use for it until now.

It still seems like it is or was a common issue with a specific generation of ps4 controllers.

I still say Sony are at fault for the build quality here. Just like ms was with xbo controller with sticky buttons etc.
Mate, its rubber. It will eventually crack.

Fbh

You can get a faulty unit of pretty much anything. These things are mostly not designed to be extremely durable but rather to be good enough to not fail at such a big rate that it becomes a big issue for the company.

I have 2 DS4, both of them 3+ years old and with some pretty heavy use and they both still look and work great.
My 3 DS3 on the other hand would constantly give me issues back then.

Sometimes you get lucky, others you don't

Unfortunately wear and tear happens. What they should do is to make it easy and cheap to replace the sticks lol

Yeah. They obviously won't but this would be nice.

Agreed, this shit shouldn't happen same for the drifting controllers, when we pay soo much for a damn controller. They should be like the dualshock 3 , i still have 2 and i have no problems with them.

xrnzaaas

A lot of the shops that sell games in my country add grips for free to game purchases. The problem is very common. My left analogue stick on the OG controller looked way worse than OP's before I put a grip on it. The rubber should've lasted longer, especially for a person like me without sharp fingernails.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Wash your hands before playing.

Being serious; there are bacteria that thrive on eating rubber. They are called rubbermites, and we carry them in our hands.
Not only that, controllers, even if well kept, are fucking disgustingly dirty. Same with anything that we have our fingers and hands on (like a phone), but people don’t think about their controllers being havens for filth.

DualSense PS5 controllers have really started to illustrate this well because they’re white and you can actually see the horrific filth that accumulates on them regardless of what you do.

The_Mike

Real question is how does OP get away with this? Seriously...

Nothing really holds up after 6 years of use.
I have played 5 hours TLOU1 and some casual Fortnite since december.

I don't think my six years of use can be categorized as the average playstation user.

Rubik8

None of my Sony controllers have any issues whatsoever. Including 4 Dual Shock 4s I’ve had for 5+ years. Perhaps you are unlucky or have extra acidic hands. Unclutch those pearls.

HTK

Banned
Okay, before any of you go full fanboyish on me.

No this is NOT a platform warring post. My controller has failed to the rubber on the thumb stick to peel of after very little usage.

Normally been using my ps4 for youtube and Netflix, I've played fortnite heavily since December.

During my last match I started to notice having cracks in the rubber.

I know there was fuss about it back then, but apparently that shit still happens.

But it shouldn't happen at all. How the f can Sony get away with shit like this?

Even the new dualsense has drifting issues because its not made well enough.

Nintendo are also shitty with their switch controllers. My right stick has an annoying spring sound to it, but at least it doesn't affect the gameplay.

Edit: thread should have a better name, a more clear name, sorry about that. Going out to buy another controller I guess.

Also, inserted pictures for those who thinks I'm just hating without any context:
IMG-20210324-010323.jpg

My controller after not much usage.

I use Kontrol Freeks because they provide better grip and more importantly prevent this from happening.

But yes you're right, this is unacceptable and it happened to me as well before i started using Kontrol Freeks.

The_Mike

Elite controller analog plastics are also peeling off. For your information.
I've only heard about the rubber behind the controller.

Microsoft replaced those. I can't read anything about Sony doing the same.

The rubber got fixed after launch versions. I know, all my launch controllers did this, replacements never exhibited it.

It wasn't a launch version, it's about 5 or 6 years old. So still before the pro if I remember correctly regarding the years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom