• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously how can Sony get away with all this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

recursive

IMG-20210324-010323.jpg

With this. Look at the left stick.
Cut your fingernails.

Going out to buy another controller I guess.
The fuck you wanna do that for ??!!

Why spend so much money for another controller.

Amazon sells a fuck ton of different thumb grips for DualShock 4.

Here, take a look:
Dualshock 4 thumb grips

Just get a set and cover up the existing rubber on your controller. Problem solved and for a lot less than the price of a new controller.

Last edited:

Umbral

I played my PS4 a lot. I have four Dualshock 4’s and zero issues with any of their thumbsticks. I’ve been using two of them since launch day and the other two shortly after.

sainraja

I have played 5 hours TLOU1 and some casual Fortnite since december.

I don't think my six years of use can be categorized as the average playstation user.

Then I think you need to re-evaluate how you use controllers lol. Based on the pic you shared, my goodness that is a pretty dirty controller.

I own a total of 6 controllers for the PS4 (the extras I got because of the color choices that became available later). I can definitely say I have played more than you based on your stats that you just shared. The only issue I have had was with the PS1 special edition controller and that was defective out of the box.

So, yeah, learn how to use controllers or something ;)

Last edited:
I never understood how people's controllers get so jacked up given I game for hours almost every day and no peeling rubber or anything
A friend of mine plays games in such a way that I feel sorry for the controller. Yet after years of use the thumb grips on his dual shock 4 only recently gave in and both sticks rubber peeled off.

The cunt is still using the controller without thumb grips. Yeah he's a cheap skate and that's the other problem but the main thing is the controller is still going.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
A friend of mine plays games in such a way that I feel sorry for the controller. Yet after years of use the thumb grips on his dual shock 4 only recently gave in and both sticks rubber peeled off.

The cunt is still using the controller without thumb grips. Yeah he's a cheap skate and that's the other problem but the main thing is the controller is still going.
It really makes you wonder what some of these controllers go through. I remember seeing a pic of a Dualshock 4 that looked like it was dipped in grease Lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Never had this issue, Call of Duty fucking up L3? Yes
But never the rubbers, I think even my original DS4 rubbers are fine.
Just the Left stick is fucked for movement

Never had this issue, Call of Duty fucking up L3? Yes
But never the rubbers, I think even my original DS4 rubbers are fine.
Just the Left stick is fucked for movement
I play Division 2 a lot and L3 gets bent over every session but mine never gave in. I legit started worrying about having to always click that stick to sprint cause you worry about durability. Only issue I've had in 3 years of owning a PS4 is stick drift which I remedied by blowing into hole.
Yes I put my mouth on the controller sticks and blew as hard as I could (thanks Youtube). Must have cleared out any dust underneath the sticks.

This was a launch issue. A year later (2014) I got a Black Ops 3 controller and thumbstics are like day one. Same goes for PS4 Pro version of gamepads that came with it. If its such an issue theres like 1 billion places you can buy covers for your thumbsticks.

luxsol

Big whoop, OP.

All controllers since the mid-00s have been shit. Same with the build quality of consoles.

Picture is my nephew's PS4 controller, which was a replacement for his gold one that came with the gold PS4, which was a replacement for his first PS4 whose controller also broke down.

I don't even play my PS3 with any official PS3 controllers because the analog sticks feel like they're held in place by mashed potatoes. Loose as fuck. I went through 4 PS3 controllers and they all had the same issue, and now use some cheapshit wired chinese controller which is just OK. Even bought a "higher quality" controller, which still feels liek budget shit (compared to how a brand new Sony controller feels like).

I remember when people bitched about the fucking N64 controller, yet that's still tight as fuck compared to how awful PS3 controllers wore down.

The vast majority of electronic goods just aren't made to last anymore. And I'm talking about brand name stuff, which USED to be trusted, not chinese or store brand budget shit. Funny enough, the my replacement PS3 controller is budget shit and has held up better than Sony's official one.

KNn3qaM.png
nny

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont get how some you have obliterated controllers.

I've played consoles since the 80s and never had a controller that broke or got mangled up rubber sticks, broken buttons or any other shit. And some of the old controllers me or my brothers would smack or bang them on the ground when pissed we lost. And they still worked.

Had a 360 20 gb Pro model. Played it for 6 years before RRoD in 2012. Played so much COD back in the day the time tracker would say double digit days played per game. Must had played at least 1000 matches per game during those hey days. I think my WL record in COD4 had 2000 matches worth played.

The most damage on the thumb sticks were some small dents and wear and tear. And some of that was probably me jamming it with a long fingernail.

So if you guys have rubber skins breaking off, fully punctured sticks with holes in them, you guys are handling them way too hard.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’ve had holes in the rubber for years, the controller still works perfectly fine. Why are you going out to buy a new one because of that tiny crack?

I have 3 Dualshock 4's. The only problem i had with them was that the rubber on the left analogue stick from my DS4 which came with my original PS4 back in 2014 started to peel off some years ago.
Never had any drift problems though.
I had two. The first one that came with my PS4 is completely fine but the other one that I bought, blue navy V2 had drifting issues. Last week I started noticing it seems there's a little drifting with my DualSense. In still on the fence though, it might be just extremely sensitive. But if it is in fact drifting, that would make it 2 out of 3. So yeah, Sony controllers suck.

luxsol

I dont get how some you have obliterated controllers.
I played just as much CoD as you, and was in the triple digits in kill rankings for PS3 until cheating went crazy, but i never owned a Xbox 360, so i can't say if their controllers are shit.

But based on my experience with console gaming since the 80s: the 00s and on hardware is just shit. My Genesis, SNES, Gameboy (original), etc etc all hold up fine to this day. We had flukes like the NES being buggy with its connector, but most everything works like new. The PSX also had significant problems, but my 1001 still works to this day without flipping it over. The analog sticks on my N64 controllers feels a bit rough on the gray one, but it works almost like new just like my blue one. My dreamcast controllers still work like new. My original Dual Shock for the PSX still works like new (along with the original controllers). My PS2 controllers feel a bit sticky on the rubbery top, thanks to plasticizers leaking, but they're still tight. GCN's controllers still feel brand new.

But around the mid-00s, it got worse. You yourself know about the Xbox 360's hardware problem. I had my Grillstation 3 break, so i bought a slim to replace it and then bought the even slimmer model just in case. I already mentioned how many replacement controllers i needed to buy for my PS3.

So if everything else held up fine, especially in my bigger gamer days in the 90s, guess what the problem is if only the newer stuff breaks?
This isn't limited to just consoles, since other electronics and even supposed "durables" like refrigerators and washing machines break more often.

pr0cs

I bought replacement sticks for my ds4, worked out well thankfully.. Was worried after trying to replace the stupid integrated battery in my ds3 and never being able to put it back together again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I played just as much CoD as you, and was in the triple digits in kill rankings for PS3 until cheating went crazy, but i never owned a Xbox 360, so i can't say if their controllers are shit.

But based on my experience with console gaming since the 80s: the 00s and on hardware is just shit. My Genesis, SNES, Gameboy (original), etc etc all hold up fine to this day. We had flukes like the NES being buggy with its connector, but most everything works like new. The PSX also had significant problems, but my 1001 still works to this day without flipping it over. The analog sticks on my N64 controllers feels a bit rough on the gray one, but it works almost like new just like my blue one. My dreamcast controllers still work like new. My original Dual Shock for the PSX still works like new (along with the original controllers). My PS2 controllers feel a bit sticky on the rubbery top, thanks to plasticizers leaking, but they're still tight. GCN's controllers still feel brand new.

But around the mid-00s, it got worse. You yourself know about the Xbox 360's hardware problem. I had my Grillstation 3 break, so i bought a slim to replace it and then bought the even slimmer model just in case. I already mentioned how many replacement controllers i needed to buy for my PS3.

So if everything else held up fine, especially in my bigger gamer days in the 90s, guess what the problem is if only the newer stuff breaks?
This isn't limited to just consoles, since other electronics and even supposed "durables" like refrigerators and washing machines break more often.
For me, I think the only controller or hardware issues I've ever seen in gaming (this even includes any computer I've owned or our family had) have been:

- My brother's 386 finally bombed on bootup after 20 years. We decided to turn it on for shits and boot up an old Horse Racing game called King of Sports my bro bought in probably 1990. It probably hadn't been used in 10+ years. It just didn't turn on. My bro assumed the motherboard was dead

- About a year after it was bought, my bro's shitty Epyx PC joystick broke. The buttons didn't work, but the stick did. A dud he bought around the same time as his 386

- I had to do the upside down PS1 trick to get it to work. But after a while even that didn't work and I gave it away fully telling my coworker it barely worked. But you could have it as I was ready to get a PS2. I forget who told me about the upside trick, but that did work for a bit. Must had been a game store worker or read the tip from the early days of the net

- My 360 RRoD after 6 years

- The rest of every piece of hardware, controller, keyboard, mouse etc.. has worked. For recent gear, all Xbox controllers have been solid for each system I've had (360, X1, 1X. Just go Series X last week so that doesn't count)

That's why I try to buy as much hardware from Costco. Best warranties out there. Extended warranties for appliances are dirt cheap ($100 for 3 extra years) and they give you 2 years right off the bat. Pick up repair service for the full 5 years.

I waited to get Series X from Costco because consoles have indefinite return policies as they aren't classified as computers with 90 day policies.

Last edited:

TheAssist

My controller is from 2016 and I use it for console and PC gaming. Doesnt have any issues yet. As per usual, its a problem that only affects minority and thats how they "get awaya" with it. I dont know how wide spread that is, if maybe some of the controllers are produced in a factory with a higher failure rate or what, but I dont know anyone personally who ever had problems with any of Sony controllers so far.

Its the same with all the PS5 stuff. Mine is super quite, no coil whine, no crashes, no rest mode issues, no drifting. Its fine. But of course it sucks for those who have to deal with those problems and I hope Sony is working on solutions fast and, if needed, can send replacements relatively quickly.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
There are some dirty bastards out there. Its either Cheetos or cum.

You're a special talent if you can pull of both at the same time.
Lmao you killed me with that comment bro lol but yeah I don't even touch my controller while I'm eating not until I wash my hands

That's not even the biggest issue. I was floored when I learned that PS5 Dualsense pad is still using same exceptionally low quality analog sticks which start drifting on their own even after very light use.

Justin9mm

I game pretty frequently, this has never happened to my OG PS4 controller or Pro controller or any controller. I'm OCD with hand cleanliness. I wash my hands before I pick up my controller every time. I don't eat with my hands when I game, no chips etc. Nothing.

I think the acid on your hands or whatever has something to do with premature cracking and wear. A lot of people I've come across who think they are clean, are actually not according to my standards. Not saying you dirty OP or you are unclean with your hands exactly but I think it plays a role in wear and tear of those rubber sticks!

Maybe they fix that sort of thing with some special protective coating, I dunno.

Fun Fact: Nintendo have Denatonium Benzoate chemical coating on their switch game cards which is a bittering agent to deter little kids from putting them in their mouth and swallowing them! Same type of stuff they use on nails to stop people from biting them.

bender

What time is it?
That's not even the biggest issue. I was floored when I learned that PS5 Dualsense pad is still using same exceptionally low quality analog sticks which start drifting on their own even after very light use.

Sony are just trying to copy Nintendo's path to success.

Seriously though, I've been lucky with the DualShock. I had one DS4 drift on me. My DS5 fine. I never really use my JoyCons but by far the worst luck I had with this issue were the x360 pads. Without fail, ever pad I had would have stick drift within the first few months.

Rea

Using my ps4 pro with original DS4 for 4 years, no issues apart from jet engine noise. Now migrate on to PS5 and playing for 3 months, no issues so far. No rest mode issue, no drifting issue, silent as a cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom