• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously what the hell? Dreams is everything Unlimited Detail promised

Arachnid

Those are nice and all, but what's the point? It's like all anyone uses Dreams for are visual showcases like that. That talent would be better put to use making a game. Unless I'm missing something, those showcases can't be uploaded/shared due to current gen limitations right?

INC

Those are nice and all, but what's the point? It's like all anyone uses Dreams for are visual showcases like that. That talent would be better put to use making a game. Unless I'm missing something, those showcases can't be uploaded/shared due to current gen limitations right?

What's the point of any form of art..........

vivftp

Many reasons people are playing around in Dreams:

1. Creators are still learning the tools and building up their skills
2. The tools and techniques are constantly evolving and will continue to do so for many years to come
3. The PS5 is right around the corner and you can bet that will vastly expand what people will be able to create in Dreams graphically and in terms of scale and complexity
4. Media Molecule are working on ways for creators to export their creations and sell them separately outside of Dreams
5. Creators are already monetizing their creations via things like Youtube ads and Patreon
6. People have fun making these creations, collaborating with other people to work together to make something, and playing other peoples creations.
7. The showcases you see mostly in this thread are just a part of what the community has been creating. There are tons and tons of actual games you can play. Dreams is also good for more than games, people are using it for creating clips and shows to watch, creating music and any number of other forms of media.
8. VR Support is around the corner, giving creators a new medium to play in

Just off the top of my head.

magaman

Banned
Yeah you are right, I am wasting my time on such trivial nonsense. You and your under 50k players can pretend it’s important somehow.
im going to move on, thank you for the perspective.

You come off like a jackass. For one, sales figures are in no way indicative of a quality product.

For two, you seem to have an issue with some people enjoying a game. You're pointing this out on a gaming forum. To other gamers.

RaySoft

It’s just nice trickery.. only the path you walk on is 3d. The hill on the other side is a flat texture and the river is a flat video.
The illusion would break if you could walk down to the water.
Nice effect tho’

Last edited:

magaman

Banned

I understand what you're trying to say, but it's framed in such a way that marginalizes what Dreams is trying to do.

The point of this is creation. "Look what I can do."

- Why does Mario Maker exist? I mean, shouldn't people just spend their time making their own platformer?
- Why do people make circuit boards or games in Minecraft? Why wouldn't they just make their own computer in real life, or game outside of Minecraft?

Why? Because they can.

CamHostage

It's like all anyone uses Dreams for are visual showcases like that.

No, don't confuse the Dreams story with the Dreams reality. Yes, Dreams probably overshot its hype and came back flooded with knock-off games/demos (because those are the most viral and easiest to enjoy without playing,) but there's good stuff on there as well, and either it's not bubbling up because Dreams didn't crack into the mainstream like say Minecraft or even LBP did, or it's still early, or the noise is drowning out the music in Dreams. I own Dreams and am still struggling to find things I love (it's overwhelming, and for sure a lot of it is not great or even built for interaction, but when I see what typically gets shared versus what's just on the frontpage of shared content, it's a world of difference. And, I also personally like some of the gimmick stuff, because it's fascinating to see how powerful this tool is. About the 10th Dream you play where it's just a rolling "Short" with no interactivity, you do get to wondering why you bothered, but then something amazing pops up and it reinvigorates your interest. (I just played the "UE5 Tribute" one, and it for sure shows its PS4ishness when you actually run it and look around in the Dream demo, but it's striking just how far they could go with just a consumer toy app.)

Also, to be fair to Dreams creators, games take a LONG time to make if they're going to be good. You're seeing 3 months of work in the public app; just over a year of work from those who were in the Dreams beta. Big, professional games out there often take 3 years, or more. There are indie games that take months or even years from start to finish. You sometimes see game trailers that look awesome, and then that game comes out 18 months later and you wonder why it took so long when the video looked like something you wanted to play right there and then, but those months of further development probably made a big difference. I don't know that I expect in 2022 to see the Next Great Game made entirely in Dreams, but the fact that there's anything good in Dreams already is a testament to the tool.

If you really want to go beyond the shared surface of Dreams and actually see what good is being done in it, there's a GAF thread all about Dreams reqs, and people have recommended the Youtuber Project Genesis who does a lot of Best of Dreams material and focuses mostly on original creations over tribute/clone works.

Last edited:

RScrewed

So...is Media Molecule paying you guys or...?

Every other post by your crew reads like a badly-worded generic eBay/Amazon review written by a non-English speaker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom