• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto Rumor: Bandai Namco making several NX games, including a Smash for launch

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Would be funny, after all this salivating excitement going on, if it was just a port of the 3DS version with no added extras.

Neoxon

I´ll rather they release a wired Pro Controller. And make USB Gamecube controllers for those that want the option. I also want to use a USB controller for Pokken, if possible. Not the Pad they are releasing, that looks uncomfortable.
Why do that when there's a perfectly good solution already on store shelves in the form of the GameCube Adapter?

georly

Would be funny, after all this salivating excitement going on, if it was just a port of the 3DS version with no added extras.

Everyone excited to play smash run again!?

Also, smash tour was literally the worst game mode with a FANTASTIC idea that was not used anywhere - and I want it in smash NX (I think project M did it?).

I want to be able to choose multiple fighters as separate stock and have that be a mode (time, stock, coins, multi-stock/tag-team).

Neoxon

I think they'll add characters. Nintendo is savvy enough to know characters are integral to the hype cycle and marketing of these games. Prior to SFV, Capcom set a precedent of adding at least a few extra characters with each iteration of the same numbered installment. It worked well for them, and Nintendo will probably follow suit.

Probably won't be many additional characters, but there will probably be more than we expect.
Again, this purely depends on if Sakurai comes back. If he doesn't & didn't lay the groundwork for new characters, I doubt that Bandai Namco would run the risk of altering Smash 4 too much without Sakurai. If the Ice Climbers were as far along as we think they were, they'd probably be the only character(s) that we would get without Sakurai being involved.

disco

The Smash rumour makes lots of sense simply because it's a game that has largely been the same since its inception - this rerelease is not only easy and cheap to develop, it will sell well, a great title to launch a system with, will (largely) appease fans, ticks the GOTY edition trend - but most significantly allows Nintendo to put real time and effort in to innovate the series with Smash 5. This rerelease holds fans at bay and is well placed to sustain fanfare yet encourage hype for Smash 5 when it launches in 4 years or so.

Yup, but corneria and Yoshis island would make it worthwhile

I actually had a thought recently

They could technically add YI:B and Corneria to Smash 4 Wii U and not actually go against the totals Sakurai gave in the Direct.

If they shared 100% music (which they would), and they wouldn't count as new stages adding to the total.

Not that I think it will happen. Just a thought I had. Corneria and YI:B feel like huge holes in the stage roster on the Wii U. They are greatly missed by me.

Adding YI:B to the Wii U would also be a nice gesture for the competitive community, as that stage is one of the most balanced in the series.

Neiteio

Again, this purely depends on if Sakurai comes back. If he doesn't & didn't lay the groundwork for new characters, I doubt that Bandai Namco would run the risk of altering Smash 4 too much without Sakurai. If the Ice Climbers were as far along as we think they were, they'd probably be the only character(s) that we would get without Sakurai being involved.
Agreed. What I described was a scenario where Sakurai is involved. If he's not, then the situation changes and additional characters seem less likely.

I imagine he is involved, though. He's probably been making the DLC knowing that this was coming. He might've withheld the Inklings for that reason, since they'd be the perfect mascot in Smash for NX, especially in Japan where they're so popular they're receiving a Miku-style live-action concert.

I'd say Inklings are the safe bet for a newcomer, if there is one. And Ice Climbers and Wolf are reasonable veterans. Again, this is if Sakurai is involved, and if Smash NX is even a thing in the first place. They need something to generate buzz when they announce this, and characters are the way to go.

Neoxon

Agreed. What I described was a scenario where Sakurai is involved. If he's not, then the situation changes and additional characters seem less likely.

I imagine he is involved, though. He's probably been making the DLC knowing that this was coming. He might've withheld the Inklings for that reason, since they'd be the perfect mascot in Smash for NX, especially in Japan where they're so popular they're receiving a Miku-style live-action concert.

I'd say Inklings are the safe bet for a newcomer, if there is one. And Ice Climbers and Wolf are reasonable veterans. Again, this is if Sakurai is involved, and if Smash NX is even a thing in the first place. They need something to generate buzz when they announce this, and characters are the way to go.
This is a moot point if, like you said, Sakurai isn't involved. And if the GameCube Adapter isn't support & there isn't a wired alternative, I doubt that the competitive community will bother with the re-release.

georly

I feel like all the non 'handheld exclusive game' stages would work well in the NX version. Cut the game boy stage, cut the nintendogs stage, cut the fire emblem awakening stage, pokemon, etc.

Bring all the ones for games that actually appeared on consoles, like magicant, mute city, balloon fight, corneria, etc.

Neoxon

Technically we're likely to get both a handheld & a console under the NX Platform. Different devices with a shared library of games. But yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if the NX Handheld came out first (like how Smash 3DS came out before Smash Wii U).

That could change things for our speculation. I'm not saying that it's sure thing but what if Smash NX is planning to be release within NX Console's launch date, instead of NX Handheld's. Basically they could have more time to working on the game if they are planning to add any new contents.
That could work to Bandai Namco's advantage. But at the same time, having Smash NX at the launch of the NX Handheld with some added advertising for the NX Console's launch could end up working just as well.

Technically we're likely to get both a handheld & a console under the NX Platform. Different devices with a shared library of games. But yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if the NX Handheld came out first (like how Smash 3DS came out before Smash Wii U).

That could work to Bandai Namco's advantage. But at the same time, having Smash NX at the launch of the NX Handheld with some added advertising for the NX Console's launch could end up working just as well.

So interesting

I wonder where they will diverge as far as relative power and features and where they will combine

Could be exciting times in Nintendoland

TDLink

Feb 19th in NA, count on it. Bayo 2 standalone and FE Fates launch that day in NA

While nintendo likes to bunch releases like this, they tend to do DLC a week or so before such a day. So I'm going to guess some time in the second week is when we'll get the dlc.

Almost definitely Smash 4 For NX with all of the DLC.

Which is fine, honestly. Smash sells systems.

Basically this. Perhaps throw in every stage (3DS + Wii U) as well, since the NX is supposed to blur the line between console and portable. It seems physically impossible that they would have a brand new Smash released this year... nor would it make commercial sense considering how huge 4 already is.

It may also include some quality single player content as well, as that's the weakest point of 4, especially on Wii U, and could be added without disturbing the very solid rest of the game.

Not at all, the N64 stages were ported as-is, and they had much cruder assets than the 3DS ones.
The N64 stages were actually completely remade, as the assets from pre-Brawl games were too old to port directly.

Nearly every texture was updated as well, it's especially noticeable on Hyrule Castle.

I do think HD versions of some of the 3DS stages exist though. I think it would make more sense development wise to structure it like that. They seemed to have no issue at all down-porting Duck Hunt, and I don't think DH was the only stage they down ported (just the others were there at release).

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't want to get roped back into the Smash speculation scene but it turns out that I'm weak and I need to know if Ice Climbers (and Wolf) have a chance of coming in an NX version.

Knowing the NX is more likely going to be a handheld AND a console, rather than just a controller with a screen on it like the Wii U is nice to know. We've all been speculating as such for a long time, I'm just chomping at the bit to know more concrete information about the NX.

Neoxon

The N64 stages were actually completely remade, as the assets from pre-Brawl games were too old to port directly.

Nearly every texture was updated as well, it's especially noticeable on Hyrule Castle.

I do think HD versions of the 3DS stages exist though. I think it would make more sense development wise to structure it like that.
Beat me to it.

Really? Where? I haven't seen any. D:

https://twitter.com/Oratnis_F/status/692286860589146113

CZt_N6LW0AAhxg6.jpg

Not the 3DS stages. Though if they somehow thought ahead & made HD versions of the 3DS stages a long time ago, maybe. But if that was the case, we should have gotten some 3DS stages as Smash 4 DLC on the Wii U.

I don't necessarily think that means we'd get 3DS stages as DLC.

There's no particular reason any of the retro stages on the 3DS needed to stay on the 3DS, and yet they have, for example.

Primitive design or not, doing hd remasters of the 3DS stages would probably be a lot simpler to do than n64 remakes since both versions of 4 and Brawl itself have similar file structure.

So doing them from scratch, would be unnecessary.

Edit: Not to mention that some 3DS stages could be ported straight from Brawl.

woopWOOP

edited: nvm

Also I would rather to have Smash Run again over Smash Tour because I actually use the mode more frequently.
I only really used Smash Run to grind the final bunch of special moves. Still haven't found a decent way to do so for my WiiU version.

I like both modes, but the (huge) flaws I find is that both modes aren't customisable enough.
Collecting powerups for 5 minutes for 1 match is stupid, Smash Run needs to have multiple matches afterwards. Allow me to change it to best out of three or something. This way you won't get screwed over if it's just a race or jumping contest either.
The final all-deciding Smash Tour battle being time based is stupid, what's the point of collecting so many fighters then? Allow me to make it stock / last man standing.

The above changes plus more compatible 8-player mode stages are all the reasonable requests I'm asking.

The most disappointing aspect of Smash Run for me was not being able to interact with the other fighters on the map. Part of the fun in Kirby Air Ride's City Trial was hunting down the other opponents.

But, to be fair, this isn't entirely Sakurai's fault. In one of his project proposal slides for Smash 4, he mentions that he wanted to include a co-op mode like in SSE, but the 3DS simply wasn't powerful enough for it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's more likely to be a port if any smash is to appear on launch.

Yeah, but the argument:

1) would we get exact port from Smash for 3DS & Wii U
2) would get get upgraded port with new contents (characters, stages, etc)

It's hard to tell until we get some kind of announcements, leaks or hints. What I'm going to expect is we are going to get port without any new contents that's why I wouldn't be disappointed.

Oersted

Thinking about it, involving Bandai Namco in Smash 4 was a really smart move.

If the Smash for NX turns out true, and our expection of it being a Smash 4 port also turns out right, than...

-Bandai has a guaranteed million seller

- a game which doesn't cost much resources

- Nintendo has a guaranteed million seller

- a flagship franchise at launch which improves the overall appeal of the plattform

- a game which doesn't cost much resources

All of this flies of course out of the window if NX bombs, but potentially it is a win-win for everyone involved.

Top Bottom