• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto Rumor: Bandai Namco making several NX games, including a Smash for launch

I'm guessing those "several NX games" not Smash 4 are ports of Tales of Berseria and Tekken 7, and maybe a new game from a some franchise we haven't seen in awhile.

Yeah I find we're not talking about the other games aside from Smash, specifically what BN have from their own IPs.

I would think Taiko is in the cards, whether at launch (in 2016) or in 2017 is basically certain, since we've already seen 3 Wii U exclusive games.

Tekken 7 seems certain after Tag Tournament 2 and their ambiguous console announcement.

Tales is a bit hazy as Baba REALLY doesn't like the idea of releasing the series on non-Sony hardware (though the PC versions might be a sign of the contrary). To me Tales of Vesperia R would be a very good fit, hell just prepare a few games and not just say "here's one, that's all you're getting" feeling that Abyss had even though that did quite well (yes Reve Unitia happened but that was a mobile port, and that STILL sold about the same as the Vita remakes).

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 I would think is a good candidate as that's seemingly happening (the game existing as a whole) and maybe if it's right around launch they'll take a chance on with it on NX. The 3DS games (especially the Ultimate Mission games) sold VERY well. Extreme Butoden is no slouch either at 150k so far in JP.

One Piece, Burning Blood or whatever is a good one as the series was actually mostly on Nintendo systems only for a while until the Pirate Warrior games, AND Wii U did get Unlimited World Red.

Digimon? Maybe. They might do Next Order on it, or maybe a late Cyber Sleuth port, maybe even it's own "Decode" expanded version (hopefully with a localization this time unlike a certain 3DS game, AHEM...).

For new games, who knows. I like the Ridge Racer suggestions as funny enough 360 got 6, PS3 got 7, and now they're bringing Ace Combat 7 to PS4 after 6 was on 360... Also Ridge Racer 3D did pretty well IIRC (better than the Vita game at least). So maybe Ridge Racer 8 will be an NX-exclusive launch title, that'd be pretty dang cool. Funny enough, I believe the series director once said he was expecting to be told to do one on Wii, but then BN told him to do something original and more family-oriented IIRC and that resulted in Go Vacation.

After Zestiria, I have zero interest in anything new for that series. A Vesperia port would be a nice surprise, I suppose.

Also skeptical of Burning Blood since Spike isn't known for making good games. Not sure I'd get it on any console unless it turns out to be good (at the very least, please be better than J-Stars!).

Banned
After Zestiria, I have zero interest in anything new for that series. A Vesperia port would be a nice surprise, I suppose.

Also skeptical of Burning Blood since Spike isn't known for making good games. Not sure I'd get it on any console unless it turns out to be good (at the very least, please be better than J-Stars!).
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who couldn't finish and disliked Zestiria. I skipped Xillia 2 and dragged myself to finish Xillia. These games overstay their welcomes and the combat is getting repetitive. I'm hearing good things about Berseria and will get it if it comes to NX.

Berseria sure looks like a big twist, with the whole werewolf thing, that doesn't look like your father's Mario Kart Tales game. Not sure how I feel about that.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who couldn't finish and disliked Zestiria. I skipped Xillia 2 and dragged myself to finish Xillia. These games overstay their welcomes and the combat is getting repetitive. I'm hearing good things about Berseria and will get it if it comes to NX.

I tolerated Xillia, but the sequel was when things started irritating me.

Zestiria is just a full-blown trainwreck. I'm at the part where
they randomly force you to go fetch-quest for Iris Gems
and it's sheer torture. Unfortunately, I'm a blog reviewer so I have to stick with it to the end. :(

Berseria sure looks like a big twist, with the whole werewolf thing, that doesn't look like your father's Mario Kart Tales game. Not sure how I feel about that.

It's the prequel to a game I hate, so I don't feel any incentive to play it regardless of any potential improvements. If you ask me, Namco's been steadily proving they have no idea what they're doing with this series.

Primitive design or not, doing hd remasters of the 3DS stages would probably be a lot simpler to do than n64 remakes since both versions of 4 and Brawl itself have similar file structure.

So doing them from scratch, would be unnecessary.

Edit: Not to mention that some 3DS stages could be ported straight from Brawl.

That's a good portion of the 3DS stages right there.

Those, plus the ones for franchises not repped by new stages in U (F-Zero, EarthBound) and maybe the few retro stages (Dream Land, Balloon Fight) would make the ultimate stage roster. Most of them use 2D sprites for their assets, so it'd be less jarring to have them amongst the U stages.

Anth0ny

Just having a game at launch that is compatible with the majority of amiibo/drives a shit ton of amiibo sales would be wise on their part. Smash for NX would fill that role.

Revven

And alongside Smash NX they could relaunch some of the popular Amiibo.

Yeah the whole amiibo Smash series is another big case for why this makes sense. They will, by the time (or even well before) the NX is probably out, have all of them done and out (including the DLC characters' amiibos). And they made a ton of those amiibos just for Smash and to have all of those really niche amiibos locked to one Wii U game seems really sketchy.

It would make sense for them to want to make even more profit from those amiibos by them being future-proof for their next platform by porting Smash 4 to it. It makes too much sense.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
And alongside Smash NX they could relaunch some of the popular Amiibo.

Yep, it seem that Smash Bros Amiibo sold very well. I wonder if Nintendo want to sell more amiibo by including few more characters in Smash NX. *coughs* Ice Climbers and Smash's Inkling *coughs*

I still hope that Amiibo unlocking costumes for Mii would returns for Mario Kart 9 because I always use Cap Falcon outfit every single time I played with Mario Kart GAF.

leroidys

Yeah, but the argument:

1) would we get exact port from Smash for 3DS & Wii U
2) would get get upgraded port with new contents (characters, stages, etc)

It's hard to tell until we get some kind of announcements, leaks or hints. What I'm going to expect is we are going to get port without any new contents that's why I wouldn't be disappointed.

I posted earlier that it would seem pointless to release this without any additions, as that wouldn't be a console sales driver, but if they released this as an ultimate edition with all 3DS and Wii U content, that would sell me at least.

Zukkoyaki

My guesses:

Smash Bros is a potentially enhanced port of Smash Bros Wii U.

Namco's projects are ports such as Tekken 7. I know that's super cynical, but if they are something new and exciting, I can be pleasantly surprised!

tolkir

A Vesperia port wouldn't be very absurd. Tales of Abyss 3DS had good sales and Project x Zone games have Vespiria characters. Besides, it's a little late to bring PS3 version.
If they were to remaster/port a Tales for NX, Vesperia has many chances.

Neoxon

If it is a Smash for NX port, I wonder if they'll expand the amiibo line with alternate costumes.
They could at least do the alternate characters & genders (Alph, the Koopalings, Female Robin, Female Villager, Male Wii Fit Trainer, Female Corrin).

Neoxon

Well, I mean, consider that the system is hypothetically launching in 10 months.

How much can you keep secret while having anyone work on games for it?
Yet we've been hearing so little about the NX Platform. Makes you wonder if it's the NDAs that's causing the silence or the lack of support.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yet we've been hearing so little about the NX Platform. Makes you wonder if it's the NDAs that's causing the silence or the lack of support.
When this came up a few weeks ago, two people who had Wii U info way back when noted that two very major Western publishers (it sounded like EA and Ubi, but maybe Activision) didn't have dev kits yet.

At the time I posited all early kits were being given out in Japan, and this rumor makes me think that's likely.

Almost all leaks come out of the Wst, thus almost no leaked info without them having it.

Neoxon

When this came up a few weeks ago, two people who had Wii U info way back when noted that two very major Western publishers (it sounded like EA and Ubi, but maybe Activision) didn't have dev kits yet.

At the time I posited all early kits were being given out in Japan, and this rumor makes me think that's likely.

Almost all leaks come out of the Wst, thus almost no leaked info without them having it.
I was there when it was mentioned, though another insider mentioned that a major western studio lacked a dev kit. But even then, it's cutting it too close. That is, unless those western devs are gonna target the NX Console, thus allowing Nintendo to hold out on those devs until a bit closer to the reveal

Spinluck

Quick question, if we line this up with the rumor that the NX handheld is being released this year, that would mean this port would be on the NX handheld...

It would be the Wii U version right? On a handheld? Would it be that powerful?

Vena

Quick question, if we line this up with the rumor that the NX handheld is being released this year, that would mean this port would be on the NX handheld...

It would be the Wii U version right? On a handheld? Would it be that powerful?

Why would it be a problem? The screen will be 3-5" at 540p or so, not 1080p.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

As said other times, while I doubt NX is going to get a blasting Western support from the start, and my optimistic expectation is a bit more than what you defined as your expectations back then (I mean, when you expressed your opinion in a more numerical way), which was...well, pretty near the opposite side of blasting, I'd also say that, this time, NDAs seem to be much tigher. Rosti (who has limited access to the Nintendo Dev Portal, recently renewed) recently reinforced that, by stating how the NDA policy is much stricter than what was few years ago, before Wii U's release. Also, Mochizuki himself (the man behind several NX recent articles, especially the one about SDK's distribution) said that a recent Ubisoft related rumour (in case you missed it: the one stating Ubisoft was preparing an ACIII: Liberation port for NX handheld, alongside a new Rayman and another game) wasn't so believable because Nintendo could easily find out who said that.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/686524824768790532

Here's the tweet, btw.

Vena

Given the timing and if it is (at least) the handheld coming soon, then I think we know why EOV went silent then started waking backup again recently.

The N64 stages were actually completely remade, as the assets from pre-Brawl games were too old to port directly.

Nearly every texture was updated as well, it's especially noticeable on Hyrule Castle.

Beat me to it.

Which actually supports what I said even more :). If they went through all the trouble of remaking the N64 stages and still went for the retro, pixelated feel, then there's zero obstacles for the 3DS stages, which can be ported directly and are much more detailed!

Neoxon

Which actually supports what I said even more :). If they went through all the trouble of remaking the N64 stages and still went for the retro, pixelated feel, then there's zero obstacles for the 3DS stages, which can be ported directly and are much more detailed!
But then comes the issue of the engine that the 3DS version was made under. Granted, the NX Platform may likely opt for ARM as its architecture (same as the 3DS), but porting the 3DS stages won't be an easy task. And if Sakurai isn't coming back for this port, I'm not sure if they'll go through the trouble of porting said stages at all.

AntMurda

But then comes the issue of the engine that the 3DS version was made under. Granted, the NX Platform may likely opt for ARM as its architecture (same as the 3DS), but porting the 3DS stages won't be an easy task. And if Sakurai isn't coming back for this port, I'm not sure if they'll go through the trouble of porting said stages at all.

That has nothing to do with Sakurai. It all depends on what the Nintendo producer commissioned with the higher executives. It's a basics formula of budget the producer gets from Nintendo, and applying it to the outline proposal of the project.

Neoxon

That has nothing to do with Sakurai. It all depends on what the Nintendo producer commissioned with the higher executives. It's a basics formula of budget the producer gets from Nintendo, and applying it to the outline proposal of the project.
But the problem with moving on without Sakurai for a re-release is that it would make changes between the characters (if any) introduced in such a re-release obvious compared to the characters that Sakurai had a hand in making. Same would apply, to an extent, with the stages. If Nintendo & Bandai Namco want to move on with Smash without Sakurai, they'll probably do it with Smash 5. And if Sakurai doesn't come back for this re-release (if it's real), I doubt that we'll get anything beyond what's already in the Wii U version (plus all DLC included from the start).

Tekken 7 seems certain after Tag Tournament 2 and their ambiguous console announcement.

Nintendrones don't give a fuck about Tekken, we want Soul Calibur, the superior fighting franchise. Sorry.

zFjzlLt.gif

Cryxok

If there are indeed ports of Smash and Pokken to the NX, what are the odds of some sort of "patch" for the Wii U retail version so it can match the NX version?
I bought Smash, already preordered Pokken and the games are really expensive here in México to double/triple dip on top of buying the new console.

Pikma

Banned
If there are indeed ports of Smash and Pokken to the NX, what are the odds of some sort of "patch" for the Wii U retail version so it can match the NX version?
I bought Smash, already preordered Pokken and the games are really expensive here in México to double/triple dip on top of buying the new console.
Match the NX version? What does that even mean?

I'd be happy with a discount on the NX version for owning the Wii U (& 3DS!) version. This should be doable with the Nintendo account. I don't mind paying a little extra to remunerate development of a 'complete' port, but wouldn't be too keen on paying for it at full price.

That implies he needs to be in anything more than a supervisory role to truss up finished content. I mean, if we were talking about creating brand new stages from scratch, sure.

The past stages could be re-ported from Brawl, and many of the new 3DS stages rely heavily on 2D assets (Balloon Fight, Dream Land, Pac-Maze, Mute City, chunks of Magicant) that I have to imagine would be easier to redo than all-3D stages with tons of scrolling and polygons.

Neoxon

That implies he needs to be in anything more than a supervisory role to truss up finished content. I mean, if we were talking about creating brand new stages from scratch, sure.

The past stages could be re-ported from Brawl, and many of the new 3DS stages rely heavily on 2D assets (Balloon Fight, Dream Land, Pac-Maze, Mute City, chunks of Magicant) that I have to imagine would be easier to redo than all-3D stages with tons of scrolling and polygons.
That's what I'm mainly referring to. The same would likely apply to the Ice Climbers if they weren't as far along as we thought they were.

Top Bottom