• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto Rumor: Bandai Namco making several NX games, including a Smash for launch

I find it odd that Sakurai would work on more new content for Smash 4 even though, at the end of the last presentation, he basically counted all the characters, stages, etc they added in both versions as if it were a final tally.

J@hranimo

Banned
I find it odd that Sakurai would work on more new content for Smash 4 even though, at the end of the last presentation, he basically counted all the characters, stages, etc they added in both versions as if it were a final tally.

Straight port, guaranteed.

I'm gonna go with this. Extend the life of the finished console game on the new platform + more balance patches if necessary.

I would like to see what Sakurai does next. He needs another break from Smash bros.

He's taking an extended vacation.

Okay?

He leaves today, gets back in May (three and a half month long vacation, which is a lot), still has as much time as he had to make Ryu, Lucas, Mewtwo, Roy and six stages, YouTube export and tournament mode, assuming the NX launches in November.

He doesn't need to be there to handle the engine port, so that's not time wasted, either.

And that's assuming the port releases the day of the NX launch, which it very well might not. "Launch" for Nintendo is usually a quarter or so after release. It could realistically launch a year and a half from now and still mostly be a "launch" title for Nintendo.

Banned
A straight port is fine by me. The reason I suggested some more characters and stages is to get the people who already spend $100+ on DLC who might not want to buy the NX version.

L Thammy

They don't need Sakurai to add new Smash Run stages.
They're also not going to add new Smash Run stages, but I want them to.

TDLink

It's more of if anything major will be added without Sakurai than anything else. At most, they could finish up the Ice Climbers without Sakurai, but likely not much else for characters. If they're gonna move on without Sakurai, Smash 5 would be the best time to do so.

But you may run into a quality issue in terms of characters not made by Sakurai compared to the rest.

You're doing that thing again where you make baseless assumptions and present them as fact.

Sakurai is not needed to make new Smash characters. Now or ever. The game would survive without him. The folks at Namco are smart and good at game development. And they've been working on Smash now for like half a decade. They could make more content without Sakurai.

That said, Sakurai can very realistically take a break, come back, and have time to still make new content (if he hasn't already) for Smash NX. Him saying he wants a vacation now does not mean anything in regards to more content. There's plenty of time.

With how popular Inklings are in Japan and how well all things that Inklings touch sells in Japan, it seems pretty obvious that adding Inklings to Smash would be a huge deal and potentially drive large sales of not only Smash 4 NX, but also the NX itself.

I just don't see the market for a Smash 4 straight port without new content. You could say the market is Smash Fans, but ultimately, Smash Fans buy the game mostly for new characters, not just to have the latest version. I just don't think a straight port of Smash 4 would drive sales, especially since adding a character or two is a few extra months of development, with potentially massive returns. It feels pointless, and feels out of style with Sakurai.

Clov

If there's anything I've learned about Smash Bros, it's that the fanbase is terrible when it comes to making educated guesses, and they assume a lot of what Sakurai says are absolute "rules" that can never be broken. I think we ought to wait and see rather than assume it will be a straight port, with nothing added at launch or after.

Edit: We're not even certain if this version actually exists or not!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
In Japan, "extended vacation" probably means one full week.

Anyway this is only an issue if people actually believe the NX will come out this year. To which I say: ha, aha, ha.

Mariolee

If there's anything I've learned about Smash Bros, it's that the fanbase is terrible when it comes to making educated guesses, and they assume a lot of what Sakurai says are absolute "rules" that can never be broken. I think we ought to wait and see rather than assume it will be a straight port, with nothing added at launch or after.

Agreed.

Remember when everyone was so sure Wolf would be back?

Clov

Agreed.

Remember when everyone was so sure Wolf would be back?

Yep! I was one of them. It seemed so "obvious", but it didn't happen.

People were also sure that Villager would never be in, that Chorus Kids would be in the main game, that DLC would not happen, that Mewtwo would be the only DLC character, that no characters that originated from fighting games would make it in, that you needed to be the star of a game on a Nintendo system to make it in... all assumptions that were completely wrong. Never assume!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I hope that an NX version would have all the 3DS and Wii U stages. That would make it a must buy for me.

Bayonetta and Corrin probably were done by early Jan or so at the absolute latest since they were up and running in time for the Nico stream. Sakurai could theoretically have been mostly on vacation for a while now.

Even in the Direct almost two months ago it looked like all this patch's content was mostly done, with extra time being probably just polish (and to be closer to Fates' international release and Bayonetta 2's reprint).

As others have said, the NX port has probably been in talks for a while now. So hypothetically he could've come up with the design document and concepts for what it needs to be like already, taken a break while Bamco do the grunt work of porting and such, and then come back 3-4 or more months later for new content creation. And yeah, there's no guarantee this is a Day-1 launch game rather than a "launch window" game.

Edit: We're not even certain if this version actually exists or not!

You know, that's true actually. I myself was convinced that Bayonetta would never be in Smash, but look how that went lol.

Still, just to not be let down, I don't wanna expect anything major, should this NX port arise, but I'd hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Nightbird

With how popular Inklings are in Japan and how well all things that Inklings touch sells in Japan, it seems pretty obvious that adding Inklings to Smash would be a huge deal and potentially drive large sales of not only Smash 4 NX, but also the NX itself.

I rather see the Inklings being one of the big newcomers in the next non-port Smash game.

Who knows how many big IPs Nintendo will have by that time, and I doubt that people will rejoice to see the next Fire Emblem character.

That's all speculation though

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Please let not act like we know everything about Nintendo, Sakurai, NX, etc.

The informations and rumors are only things that we had at the moment so I think it would be smart thing we would do if we are going to be very cautious with the rumors. I'm totally aware that it came from reliable source and I have no doubt that it's more likely to be right.

If Sakurai is going to be on a extended vacation but it doesn't meant he wouldn't take any part in Project Smash NX. I felt that if Sakurai trusted them enough to work on the game in the past, so it's likely that he's willing to trust them again with the project where they would have to transfer from Smash Bros 3DS/U to brand new systems. I'm sure that they would have plenty time to port everything over to new systems and make sure everything would work correctly without getting bugged out.

I'm aware that Sakurai already confirmed that he's going to be on vacation but let not kidding ourselves by acting like we know everything about Sakurai and what he plans to do. It's possible that Sakurai would come back when they are done with port job. Let me emphasize again, we have no clue how long the vacation Sakurai would take. It's possible that Bandai Namco is going to work on the port without Sakurai and they would trying to complete their first few goals with the port before Sakurai come back to the work.

Regard with new contents, we have no single clue if we would get any more characters or not but let temper our expectation right now until we get the words from Sakurai or Nintendo that we are going to have new contents.

Summary: We don't freaking know if we are going to have direct port (like PS4 USF4) or upgraded port (like SF4 > SSF4). We don't know if Sakurai is going to be part of Project Smash NX OR NOT. Please don't act like we know everything because it's obvious.

Everything is possible but temper your expectation for worst tho.

P.S. Let him enjoy his vacation! :p

Galang

Banned
I rather see the Inklings being one of the big newcomers in the next non-port Smash game.

Who knows how many big IPs Nintendo will have by that time, and I doubt that people will rejoice to see the next Fire Emblem character.

That's all speculation though

If they decide to use a port for the next generation that likely means at least half a decade of waiting at the earliest and that's being generous. I rather have the inklings now than wait until the next next generation...

Neoxon

There is the entirely real possibility that Sakurai already laid the foundation for any potential new characters & let Bandai Namco follow the blueprints (like a mother leaving their kids the ingredients & the instructions to make the recipe). But again, it'd be best not to get our hopes up.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Yeah, ultimately, I will say that if the NX port happens, the bare minimum I've always been expecting is a GOTY edition port of the Wii U version with all DLC included. Anything else would be icing to me.

But yeah, we'll wait and see, especially since, well... it hasn't even been announced yet...

The Giant

Banned
Sakurai: Personally, I'm happy I can finally take an extended vacation.

As someone who's a big fan of the man, news of his long due, well deserved rest please me...But it also throws one hell of a curve ball, I could have sworn he was working on this project behind the scenes, if it is a thing. Sakurai doesn't strike me as the sort to distance himself from his baby franchise even if it's just an up-port.

Sakurai deserves a long holiday, before he starts his next project.

I just don't see the market for a Smash 4 straight port without new content. You could say the market is Smash Fans, but ultimately, Smash Fans buy the game mostly for new characters, not just to have the latest version. I just don't think a straight port of Smash 4 would drive sales, especially since adding a character or two is a few extra months of development, with potentially massive returns. It feels pointless, and feels out of style with Sakurai.

It would have some decent sales, I think. It just would not be a must buy / system seller if it's just an port + DLC.

If they decide to use a port for the next generation that likely means at least half a decade of waiting at the earliest and that's being generous. I rather have the inklings now than wait until the next next generation...

As a Splatoon player. Inklings would probably be the only character that would sell me an NX port of Smash 4. Would be an easy skip otherwise.
Regardless. Like IntelliHeath said.

Everything is possible but temper your expectation for worst tho.

And expecting the worst. A straight port. Is all I will do for now.

Clov

I hope that an NX version would have all the 3DS and Wii U stages. That would make it a must buy for me.

Yep, this alone would guarantee my purchase. I like a lot of the new 3DS stages better than some of the Wii U ones. I really enjoy the F-Zero stage and Prism Tower. 3DS also has a lot of my favorite older stages, with Corneria, Brinstar, and Distant Planet. Having these stages united would be fantastic.

Diffense

It's more of if anything major will be added without Sakurai than anything else. At most, they could finish up the Ice Climbers without Sakurai, but likely not much else for characters. If they're gonna move on without Sakurai, Smash 5 would be the best time to do so.

But you may run into a quality issue in terms of characters not made by Sakurai compared to the rest.

Smash 4 and 5 are the 3DS and Wii U versions internally. Even if the NX version is heavily based on Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS it will likely be considered Smash 6.

I think there will be new characters in the NX version and I think Sakurai is involved. It's quite possible that work on the NX version was occuring at the same time as Smash 4 DLC development. That makes the most sense if the next Smash is expected in the NX launch window assuming that NX is launching this year. Furthermore they could probably justify keeping the team together for a year making DLC since a new game had already been greenlit and they were working on that too.

In the Sourcegaming translation he said that new characters are a major way to bring excitement to Smash because he isn't going to change the game mechanics too much. He's right about that; that's the most hype thing about new Smash games. Also Sakurai seems to enjoy surprising players with the reveals (dons Bayonetta glasses). If he's involved (and he is) there's no way he's just going to rehash Smash 4 and call it a day.

Zubz

Banned
Straight port, guaranteed.

I can see that, and would honestly be fine with it (And elated if it added a few minor things like some 3DS stages, a Hazard Toggle, buffs for Samus/Jiggs, and maybe the Ice Climbers if they were as close to being finished as Sakurai implied). Still, after 4 complete Smash Bros. games, I feel like Sakurai might trust Bandai Namco to add just a wee bit more to Smash 4 while he takes a personal break from the series.

That's just the way I see it, though. Smash 4's DLC seemed to do great for Nintendo; I think they're aware of how well it'd do on a system with a greater userbase than the Wii U's.

And that's assuming the port releases the day of the NX launch, which it very well might not. "Launch" for Nintendo is usually a quarter or so after release. It could realistically launch a year and a half from now and still mostly be a "launch" title for Nintendo.

That's particularly likely if the NX launches with Zelda and/or 3D Mario. It would most likely go in the traditional February slot.

Ahnez

I would say new characters are not impossible, but veeery unlikely

.. Also.. Well, what are the odds of Bandai Namco ever creating a new Klonoa game again? :(

Jawmuncher

Considering how adamant people were in some characters never appearing or DLC in the first place never happening. I would just hold off until we hear about it. Sakurai and Co have more than once surprised everyone. Dont expect but don't dismiss either.

Peru

I expect several wii u titles to be ported over for broader exposure at very little cost and this will simply be one of them.

Neoxon

Smash 4 and 5 are the 3DS and Wii U versions internally. Even if the NX version is heavily based on Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS it will likely be considered Smash 6.

I think there will be new characters in the NX version and I think Sakurai is involved. It's quite possible that work on the NX version was occuring at the same time as Smash 4 DLC development. That makes the most sense if the next Smash is expected in the NX launch window assuming that NX is launching this year. Furthermore they could probably justify keeping the team together for a year making DLC since a new game had already been greenlit and they were working on that too.

In the Sourcegaming translation he said that new characters are a major way to bring excitement to Smash because he isn't going to change the game mechanics too much. He's right about that; that's the most hype thing about new Smash games. Also Sakurai seems to enjoy surprising players with the reveals (dons Bayonetta glasses). If he's involved (and he is) there's no way he's just going to rehash Smash 4 and call it a day.
That's just it. I don't doubt that they would add more if Sakurai gets involved. It's a question of if he'll be involved given his extended vacation. This might get problematic if they want Smash NX at launch. Though if Nintendo does stagger the release of the NX devices & puts the NX Handheld out first (like what's being speculated), they might have some time to wait for Sakurai's return by having the Smash 4 port target the possible early-to-mid 2017 launch of the NX Console.

I expect several wii u titles to be ported over for broader exposure at very little cost and this will simply be one of them.
Maybe not all of them. Nintendo may opt to just give Mario Kart, Splatoon, & maybe Super Mario Maker legit sequels.

RomanceDawn

An extended vacation huh? For Sakurai that's like what, 35 minutes?

Even with a month off, I see him back to work on this potential port for NX. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he was working on it during the year of DLC development.

That's particularly like if the NX launches with Zelda and/or 3D Mario. It would most likely go in the traditional February slot.

Yeah, it's important to note that while having a great launch for NX is important, making sure to follow up on it and have a full release schedule afterwards is also crucial.

A huge part of why Wii was such a success was because of the insane momentum it had for the first year or so. Twilight Princess, Smooth Moves, Wii Sports, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii among others all came out within the first 18 months. 2007 was a crazy year for it.

So with that in mind, SSB would work just as well as an "end of FY" or spring game if they need to.

An extended vacation huh? For Sakurai that's like what, 35 minutes?

Even with a month off, I see him back to work on this potential port for NX. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he was working on it during the year of DLC development.

If it is really in development I definitely feel like prep work would have been done for a while now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Maybe not all of them. Nintendo may opt to just give Mario Kart, Splatoon, & maybe Super Mario Maker legit sequels.

That's what he said. He said several. It's no brainer that Mario Kart and Splatoon are going to get sequel games. I'm pretty sure that Mario Kart 9 is in development phase right now.

Roo

That's what he said. He said several. It's no brainer that Mario Kart and Splatoon are going to get sequel games. I'm pretty sure that Mario Kart 9 is in development phase right now.

Pretty sure the Mario Kart team is involved with Miitomo right now.
afaik, the MK producer Hideki Kono is in charge of the mobile division.

Neoxon

You're correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put someone else in Kono's place to fast-track Mario Kart 9 for a 2017 release.

Roo

You're correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put someone else in Kono's place to fast-track Mario Kart 9 for a 2017 release.

Yabuki can handle the IP just fine without Kono. I was just trying to point out that the Mario Kart team is not currently available (not all of it at least)
If they're working on MK9 then I'd assume it is still in very early stages.

MK_768

Isn't just Kono though? I doubt the entire MK team is working on a mobile game. That's just my assumption.

Seems like a waste of talent if they are doing a mobile game over MK9. That's just me though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yabuki can handle the IP just fine without Kono. I was just trying to point out that the Mario Kart team is not currently available (not all of it at least)
If they're working on MK9 then I'd assume it is still in very early stages.

Yeah, I'm still confident that Mario Kart 9 is still in development phase. I'm certain that it don't really take entire team to work on the mobile game.

Can't wait to see what they have in their sleeves for the NX.
Nintendo All Stars Kart pls

AntMurda

Dude the Tomodachi Collection team is making Miitomo. Not the Mario Kart team. Konno may be supervising this, but that has Nothing to do with the entire MK team.

Top Bottom