• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Killian joins Sony Santa Monica to work on All Star Battle Royale

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I’ve joined Sony as the lead game designer for the external group at the Sony’s Santa Monica Studio.

Guess it wasn't good before. Not a good sign for that studio working on it.

Also I guess this means Sony Smash is a fighting game while Nintendo Smash still isn't a fighting game. trollface.jpg

Ploid 3.0

I said wow

The avatar fits this situation perfectly. My mind is all full of wow.

So with that out of the way, Ratchet Clank Chimera! Spyro is a given.

If Insomniac characters are in, I want to see a Naughty Dog vs Insomniac showdown. JS vs the NArne Meyer or something. Make it pay per view if needed.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wrong person. You're thinking about Sven. Again...

Nah, I've seen some doozys from Seth.

Also, many people can breakdown mechanics and such, half the FGC can lead design a game if that's the requirements.

This seems like much ado about nothing (congrats to him on the job though). The FGC definitely will not take to this game (I'm willing to wager money more people play Dive Kick at Evo) and if its released this fall, it will get stomped.

Push it into next year and actually market the shit out of it. Balancing, mechanics, blah blah won't mean much if it sells like shit.

sephi22

I don't know how I feel about this.

I would have wanted Seth to work for a big fighting game company like SNK, or Namco, but then again him being a part of this would give this game some legitimacy. And Sony can't be worse than Capcom

B.O.O.M

Oh hell Yes!

I think this also means SuperBot will be making more than this game in the coming years, hopefully some new IPs in fighters.

What was the last decent fighter made by a Western studio?

Everything about this game keeps sounding better and better. This just begs for a epic 24 hour day 1 setup with all your friends.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Game is in pre-alpha, I think. Or at least the demo that was shown. There's a lot he can tweak, even post-release

The game's going to be out in less than 5 months. It's not pre-alpha, even if they're claiming it is (and I don't think that's the case).

I wanna believe he's genuine about this move n he probably is but my cynical side says it's because Sony is giving him health insurance unlike Capcom :-/

alstein

Guess it wasn't good before. Not a good sign for that studio working on it.

Also I guess this means Sony Smash is a fighting game while Nintendo Smash still isn't a fighting game. trollface.jpg

I think this game, barring it being a SFxTK style complete disasterpiece, will be at Evo now.

I also think Seth saw the game, and thinks it can work, otherwise he wouldn't have left Capcom, or he would have gone somewhere else.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The game's going to be out in less than 5 months. It's not pre-alpha, even if they're claiming it is (and I don't think that's the case).

I agree, the game has largely been designed at this point (pre-alpha would mean.. still adding features and stuff). But surely his input could make a difference on balancing, which is critical at this stage.

There's no way he was just hired for PSABR, though.

xero273

Needs Daigo and brazzers to give their approval before I jump on this.

Congrats Seth. I expect to see PASBR for EVO 2013 avatars at srk soon.

Neat.

But doesn't the game come out relatively soon? How much core design can he change? Unless it is going to get an overhaul and delay now.

Jomjom

Banned
Regardless who they have working on this game, I don't think it can be a legit fighter just based off of the design of the game.

TDLink

Playstation All Stars still looks bland and not great and this hire will not help it. The game is months from launch, it isn't going to change much at this point. I love Seth though so great on him for getting a job upgrade. His lead designer position is obviously for future games. He will definitely be on the promotion train for All Stars but I doubt he will be of much value in designing it since it is already basically done. Whatever they do next will be when we really get value out of him...can't wait to see what it is.

El Sloth

Banned
Holy fuck.

Congrats to Seth. Lead game designer is quite a step up from what seemed to be a mostly advisory role at Capcom. His official title seemed to change every few months. And I bet he'll have a lot more freedom with Sony's management compared to Capcom's.

If the game really is still in pre-alpha(?) then I'll be interested to see exactly what kind of effect he'll have on it (if any at all at this point). I'm more interested in the potential future projects though.

dmr87

Yep, megaton news right here. S-kill is awesome and it's going to be interesting to see what he can bring to the table.

I don't know how I feel about this.

I would have wanted Seth to work for a big fighting game company like SNK, or Namco, but then again him being a part of this would give this game some legitimacy. And Sony can't be worse than Capcom

Those teams are already full of talent and their games are predictable being established brand name.

Let's see some fresh ideas in a game they do after battle royale.

Chaplain

Regardless of how far in development the game is, games these days are not done until the last patch has been released. So, they have plenty of time.

El Sloth

Banned
Oh, look! Here's a long interview I did with Seth about the move from Capcom to PlayStation! He'll be working on more than just fighting games.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...joins-sony-santa-monica-playstation-all-stars
Thanks for linking this interview. I wouldn't have read it otherwise.

This part is especially relevant for the people wondering about his role at Capcom:
Seth Killian said:
"My job at Capcom started weird and got progressively weirder," Killian explained. "I was always supported with input into the games, but I realized at one point that of all the job titles I accrued over the years (when I left I was 'Strategic Director, Community, Online, and Special Combat Advisor'), none of them even existed before they were given to me – they were making it up as they were going along, just like I was.

"Everybody was happy with what I was doing, but they also recognized that it didn't fit into the organizational structure at all. Towards the end, I was working on the fighting games as well as titles outside the fighting genre, but also still working on explicitly community side things."

I love how it seems that even both he and Capcom were confused about what his role exactly was.

K.Sabot

The thing they need to do to make this game look good is to find a way to make the characters visible between the environment and the foreground without having to resort to that ugly green highlight.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sony making waaaay too many right moves right now. Companies I enjoy that do this then tend to kill themselves swiftly afterwards :/ Break the cycle, Sony!

Shadow780

I was hoping he would do full time commentating, but I guess the money's not gonna be good as this one.

Congrats to him.

Nose Master

Hope he revamps the system in ASBR a bit. Played it over the weekend... and it's weird. Other than not gaining meter, there's no detriment for getting the shit kicked out of you.

Jonboy

Man I just hope they've changed the way you KO opponents. At the very least, offer several different options for each round. Would suck if they copied 95% of Smash Bros. but left out the best 5%.

Top Bottom