• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Killian joins Sony Santa Monica to work on All Star Battle Royale

Riposte

My first reaction was "yo ugghhh! Betrayal-ton!"

So Seth Killian now has to talk up a game with worse fundamentals than SFxTK? Could be a cool game (I don't mean to shit on it or anything), but doesn't fix the weird juxtaposition of "the guy who wrote Scrub 101 is hyping dumb mechanics". So those jokes won't stop. Would have been funnier if he joined up with Netherrealms to talk about how great Mortal Kombat is or having to justify the cutscene attacks in Injustice.

Cool to hear he will be working on more than fighting games and he holds the position of lead designer (why didn't Capcom put him there in the first place?). Probably something he is into. I wonder ultimately what effect this will have on his commentating. Anyway, smart pick-up from SSM. I mean people in this very thread are now looking at ASBR more legitimately.

Neiteio

S.Kill on Sony Smash Bros.? Interesting. The base game looks fun, I just hope they can do something to shake the "hyper-realistic look" (read: dull gray lighting) that makes everything look bland, washed-out and lifeless. To go from promoting the likes of MvC3 to... this, is definitely a step back in style, but hopefully not in substance. I'm happy to see S.Kill back in the swing of things, though, even if I'm not yet sold on All-Stars. :)

Man I just hope they've changed the way you KO opponents. At the very least, offer several different options for each round. Would suck if they copied 95% of Smash Bros. but left out the best 5%.

Judging from his comments to the Verge, it's the unique mechanics of Battle Royale that he likes. There's no way they are changing the scoring system.

Also, I think people are missing the true nature of Killian's role here. While he'll clearly be involved with Battle Royale, he's working with Santa Monica's external group. That means he's helping out with games like The Unfinished Swan too.

Khezu

Uh, that's strange.

Still can't really get excited for sony smash.

At least here he will have way more control over the project then he ever did at Capcom.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Going by the responses here it looks like it's totally possible for Sony to buy legitimacy

You mean hire people who know what they're doing and naturally bring legitimacy to game development?

That's generally how it works, I thought, when you're building good studios.

Superbot is part of Santa Monica's external group... They were a studio who were originally a team in Santa Monica before expanding outwards.

What does that mean? SSM External group? Are they like Light Box Interactive (3rd party with contract and working with SSM)? Or are they like Naughty Dog Uncharted Team (part of SSM, but it's its own team)? I'm guessing the former, but just making sure.

El Sloth

Banned
Also, I think people are missing the true nature of Killian's role here. While he'll clearly be involved with Battle Royale, he's working with Santa Monica's external group. That means he's helping out with games like The Unfinished Swan too.
Yeah, looks like he's already got a full plate with responsibilities across 3 different teams.

Loudninja

Judging from his comments to the Verge, it's the unique mechanics of Battle Royale that he likes. There's no way they are changing the scoring system.

Its pretty clear what his top priority is right now going by the blog post.

MadmanUK

Seems really late in the day to make too much of a difference?
The game only has a few months of crunching left (unless it's been pushed).

PASBR is easily one of my most anticipated games of the year anyway, but this is triumphant news. I'm not really well versed in Seth Killian's work as I haven't purchased a Capcom beat 'em up in a very long time, but I'm aware of his esteemed reputation, and so to have him working on Battle Royale and fine-tuning/balancing it or whatever he's doing, well... that's just great. Some folks are still privy to write the game off as nothing but a cheap knock-off, but Seth's contribution hammers home now more than ever that Sony's brawler is very much a contender to be taken seriously.

Seth, if you're reading this - ROBBIT AND KAT FOR THE ROSTER! Don't let me down; I just wrote a bunch of nice things about you.

Deadstar

Wasn't there some legal issue that would stop Crash from being in the game? I thought I heard that somewhere. I agree though, Crash needs to be in.

What was the first I seem to have missed it ^_^;
Also, DAYUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!
NOW ANNOUNCE CRASH BANDICOOT IN THIS ALREADY, DAMNIT!

3rd Megaton. Naughty Dog bought the Crash Bandicoot license from Activision and Crash will now be in PSABR and ND will release a brand new Crash from the Uncharted 3 team.
This didn't really happen

aeolist

Banned
I guess it's just funny that hiring one guy to "design" several different games coming from several different studios at once means that the mostly complete and shitty looking fighter that happens to be part of the group suddenly has potential.

ZoddGutts

Good I guess. Shame the game looks so boring. The game really needs some big third party characters that are known for being on PS systems.

Loudninja

Interesting interview with IGN

Yes, "lol IGN" and the like, but the article has some good stuff, like it seems that he is working on some new projects as well.

But he was lured in to Sony Santa Monica by the “secret superstars” that work there, including the group at SuperBot Entertainment toiling away on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita. He also appreciated that “a majority of the top spots” at Sony Santa Monica are “held by women,” something he deems “refreshing in what’s typically a very male-dominated industry.” Coincidentally, one of the women he’s no doubt referring to – Sony Santa Monica Studio Senior Director of Product Development Shannon Studstill – is someone we’ve had an extensive conversation with in the past.
I did not know this, very awesome.

aeolist

Banned
Just to be clear though I'm laughing at Sony, not Seth. He seems like a really cool guy and I'd sell out in a heartbeat if anyone offered the kind of money Sony's probably paying.

He should probably stop letting PR write his blog posts though.

Khezu

Seems really late in the day to make too much of a difference?
The game only has a few months of crunching left (unless it's been pushed).

For changing core mechanics probably, but when it comes to game balance, a lot can change in a month.

Call me crazy, but usually you don't hire someone on as a lead when a game in shipping in six months.

No, you don't. The "lead designer" aspect, at least as it applies to all-stars, is just to give him legitimacy for when they inevitably use him as their primary "public-facing dev" guy.

On the other hand, I trust he'll have a lot more influence on santa monica's games, going forward, then he did at Capcom, where despite his titles he basically just had to relay feedback to the mothership in Japan and hope they gave a shit.

This is an unpleasant turn of events. It's great that Seth is getting such a prominent position, but the game he has to push...can he actually make it a decent game? I'm skeptical. If they give him free reign to do whatever he wants after this, it could be a good thing. Guh.

Okay I'm officially interested in this game now, even though I don't own any PS consoles.

These guys are NOT fucking around.

Good stuff Seth, glad to see it wasn't just a firing or something and he's found somewhere solid to work.
I've seen too much gameplay to be interested in the game. We'll see where Seth takes it, though.

Drencrom

I guess it's just funny that hiring one guy to "design" several different games coming from several different studios at once means that the mostly complete and shitty looking fighter that happens to be part of the group suddenly has potential.

Well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Just to be clear though I'm laughing at Sony, not Seth. He seems like a really cool guy and I'd sell out in a heartbeat if anyone offered the kind of money Sony's probably paying.

You're laughing at Sony because they added a competent guy to their dev team?

Loudninja

I dont know what your deal is really.

Also what do you mean by sell-out?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
No, you don't. The "lead designer" aspect, at least as it applies to all-stars, is just to give him legitimacy for when they inevitably use him as their primary "public-facing dev" guy.

On the other hand, I trust he'll have a lot more influence on santa monica's games, going forward, then he did at Capcom, where despite his titles he basically just had to relay feedback to the mothership in Japan and hope they gave a shit.

...which they often did not. Hope this is a better fit for him.

Ferrio

Banned

Sell out... because he left Capcom? One of the biggest bullshitters in the industry?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Abdozer

Can anyone explain why this is a good thing? I'm not big on fighting games, is this guy basically the Miyamoto of the FGC or something?

Ferrio

Banned
Can anyone explain why this is a good thing? I'm not big on fighting games, is this guy basically the Miyamoto of the FGC or something?

Not even close.

He's a well known player from the community. He worked at capcom for awhile, then jumped ship recently... turns out he went to Sony.

Post histories, gentlemen. They are illuminating and often save the effort you may previously have been willing to exert.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Give him five million dollars, a dev team and put the current FGC members of Superbot on his team. Tell them to hunker down and make a fighting game for the PS4. That's all I want to see. I still only care about ASBR if I get Crash and Spyro. And I'm day one if I can play as N. Cortex.

Boss Man

I hope Seth gets in on God of War: Ascension now that he's at Santa Monica. The multiplayer for that game is looking surprisingly incredible- maybe he could help push it over the edge.

I don't really know how much balance input Seth can put into PS All Stars since the game is going to be done soon. What Seth should be doing is getting the name PS All Stars to the people and promoting it everyone. He needs to bring it main stream like he helped resurrect fighting games in general with Street Fighter 4. Seth has got to show the casuals why this is different from Smash Bros. and why its better in principle. A dedicated hardcore fighting game style balance doesn't bring in the casuals but once this game is properly proposed to the people, it will definitely keep them playing.

Top Bottom