• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg to Adapt Robert Kirkman Comic 'Invincible' for Universal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was literally just looking at my Invincible compendiums and wondering when the third would be released. They definitely have to keep the gore if they want to stay true to the comic.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
If
the could do the first arc with his father but somehow involve conquest in the end.....(like maybe conquest comes and forces the father to admit his true reasoning but in the end the son and father team up against conquest.....) it would be so glorious

My first thought on seeing this was "Okay, who is Rogen going to cast himself as?" - then it occurred to me- he'd actually make a pretty good Allen the Alien.

jph139

I think a goofy, somewhat generic coming-of-age superhero movie
with a sudden,
brutal, violent twist that turns the third act into one huge father vs. son throwdown
would capture the spirit pretty well. I know I'd watch it.

Would be a hard sell, though, without ruining things for the audience. Very thin tightrope to walk if they want to do it right.

Brakke

Banned
Weird to do as a movie. I remember he comic book sat on top of Super Conventional Superhero Stuff substrate. Took a while to unfold and start doing novel things. Dunno if a movie is enough time to work those tone shifts, or if it'll just accidentally end up mad conventional.

Vibranium

Banned
I'll watch it, being a huge Invincible fan and all, but have low expectations. The gore is pretty important to keep and the CG will need to be handled well. We'll wait to see what happens I guess, good luck to Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen.

Kinyou

Yup. Better be a hard R

1804721-photo.jpg
I love the way the artist uses blood so much. It's always a real "oh shit" moment.

Hope they can transfer that on the big screen.

Pau

I read the first five ultimate collections and I can't really remember anything beyond the first part. Anything more than two seasons would overstay its welcome but that's just me.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It changes up a lot from the comics for seemingly no reason and Jesse is barely the same character from episode to episode much less what you'd expect from Jesse Custer (which is a shame, because Cooper is a great choice for the role). Probably its biggest problem is just that it's boring. It moves really slowly but not in a methodical slow burn way; it's just slow, and I was constantly falling behind because I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to keep up week to week. I think their whole approach to the show -- treating the entire season as a 10-hour prequel to just the premise of Preacher -- was also misguided.

The only thing they really nailed was Cassidy. I also enjoyed Ruth Negga a lot, but her Tulip is almost a completely different character.

what do you mean almost? and i agree with the preacher critics. liked dominics look, but his custer was terrible. not that its on him, but if you dont want jesse custer on screen call him something else

This really should be a show. Not overly excited about Rogan being involved, to be honest. Invincible is an overly violent coming of age examination of the superhero genre, a single film won't do it justice.

Blader

what do you mean almost? and i agree with the preacher critics. liked dominics look, but his custer was terrible. not that its on him, but if you dont want jesse custer on screen call him something else

Well she seemed pretty different, but its been 6 years since I read Preacher, so I wasn't sure if she was 100 percent different. :p

Conflicted about this, i've read it since i got into comics and finally it's coming to an end. Never thought it would translate well to screen but i've got an open mind.

They probably won't get to the stuff when Nolan starts banging an insect lady, that would be interesting.

Maybe this will get the wheels running on them bringing back the Complete library edition or whatever the slipcase hardcover set was called.

SOLDIER

:/

i think you were right before 'the turn' - i'd suggest reading a few more trades but if you want to see a HUGE SPOILER:

Dad is from a race of super powered invaders - basically Superman who go to other planets and take them over. Son vs. Father (and more...) is the 'real' gist of that story.

Or, you know, Dragon Ball.

As in they totally got the idea from Dragon Ball.

Just saiyan.

Vengal

This series is way too gory for a mainstream release. I'm not even sure how they'd make their budget back at an R rating for the kind of movie it would be. Unlike say wolverine or Deadpool you'd need superman level power and destruction almost immediately.

Immortal would be alot of fun to see on screen however.

Jacce

Banned
Or, you know, Dragon Ball.

As in they totally got the idea from Dragon Ball.

Just saiyan.
Except it gets it's main sort of backdrop from the space elements of Superman. Just like Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball was HEAVILY based on Superman. Goku's origin is a blatant copycat of Superman.

Always kinda hoped this would be a Hard R animated Netflix/Hulu series, but hey, I have faith in these guys. Invincible has been one of the best superhero comics for over a decade and this movie won't take that away.

Except it gets it's main sort of backdrop from the space elements of Superman. Just like Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball was HEAVILY based on Superman. Goku's origin is a blatant copycat of Superman.
Yeah, but it is hard not to see DBZ more based on the details of the race in Invincible and their culture. It's very, very Saiyan-like. However, in the back of one of the issues, in his QA, he was asked about this connection and Kirkman claimed he has never seen Dragon Ball Z.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My first thought on seeing this was "Okay, who is Rogen going to cast himself as?" - then it occurred to me- he'd actually make a pretty good Allen the Alien.

Well. Fuck

Well she seemed pretty different, but its been 6 years since I read Preacher, so I wasn't sure if she was 100 percent different. :p

The roles that were nailed were Eugene, Cassidy, and Odin.

I always envisioned bringing this comic book to TV, as an animated show. Essentially a superhero, adult version of DBZ and the Justice League.

And I'm not so sure Seth Rogen is the guy. I'm very skeptical on this.

Not

Banned
This comic to me is the veritable epitome of "things you thought were good when you were in high school"

The only actually great thing in this comic were some of the character designs, which, even with a big budget, would be hard to do justice to. Can't wait to see how Rogen and Goldberg screw that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom