• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV: New CFN Network, Ed, Balance Changes, Classic Vega Stage Coming + more May 30th

Kashiwaba

i don't think the SFV team got the budget to revamp the UI. I am NOT joking. The budget dedicated (to the development) seems so small at this point....i will reckon most of the money capcom spent on SFV are on the marketing for the tournaments.

i wouldn't expect any major fixes for anything in regards to SFV
I don't think a UI design costs more than a single character, i guess it's more like they don't think it needs the revamp or not a high priority.

Is this the first time you've actually been able to use the cage when playing Vega? I can't remember how it was handled in the original SF2 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iERC16eVUYA#t=16m18s

I'm kinda bummed that I paid $60 for SFV at launch only to see how barebones it was, and now I have to pay so much more for all this shit
That's just it, though. You DON'T have to pay if you don't want to. That's what Fight Money is for. That was the entire SF5 project is about.

Neoxon

i don't think the SFV team got the budget to revamp the UI. I am NOT joking. The budget dedicated (to the development) seems so small at this point....i will reckon most of the money capcom spent on SFV are on the marketing for the tournaments.

i wouldn't expect any major fixes for anything in regards to SFV
I wouldn't be too sure if I were you. The graphical engineers needed to fix the shadow dithering on the PS4 version isn't cheap (I speak as a programmer in training). By your logic, there won't be any money for Season 3, either.

This, along with outdated character trials and the weekly missions that only make use of the initial lineup of stages are the main reasons why I don't always like the gradual update model SFV uses compared to SFIV's big (optionally disc-based) expansions / seasons that make it more likely that most players are on the same page again. I feel that bigger UI changes are also held back by this model.
The problem with said expansions is that the balance updates ended up getting locked behind a paywall, which resulted in not everyone being on the same page.

I wouldn't be too sure if I were you. The graphical engineers needed to fix the shadow dithering on the PS4 version isn't cheap (I speak as a programmer in training). By your logic, there won't be any money for Season 3, either.

The problem with said expansions is that the balance updates ended up getting locked behind a paywall, which resulted in not everyone being on the same page.

Esport will make season 3 happen but other than that...I don't want to disappoint myself but hoping Capcom still remember extra Battle or arcade mode. And I think we should all forget about season 2 story mode.

Looks too much like a castle instead of a tabern with rock walls now, but at least they finally changed the name Meson de la Taberna to Meson de las Flores (although the old one was super funny becuase it meant basically "Tabern of the Tabern" lol)

I really hope that it has a great version of the amazing theme.

Neoxon

Esport will make season 3 happen but other than that...I don't want to disappoint myself but hoping Capcom still remember extra Battle or arcade mode. And I think we should all forget about season 2 story mode.
I wouldn't be surprised if both modes were still on the way, but are being saved for something. Maybe we'll find out at PSX/Capcom Cup (given Capcom's busy promoting MvCI right now).

vixlar

Looks too much like a castle instead of a tabern with rock walls now, but at least they finally changed the name Meson de la Taberna to Meson de las Flores (although the old one was super funny becuase it meant basically "Tabern of the Tabern" lol)

I really hope that it has a great version of the amazing theme.

Mesón de la Taberna RIP T_T

IIRC only the CPU had that ability.

I'm kinda bummed that I paid $60 for SFV at launch only to see how barebones it was, and now I have to pay so much more for all this shit

Patience is a virtue. A couple weeks ago they had the base game + Season Pass 2016 + Season Pass 2017 for $60, IIRC.

ArjanN

Is anyone still waiting for those modes? I mean, for real, and not just on general principle because they should have been there on launch? Because it's not like those modes would really offer much of anything over survival or VS CPU mode.

forget the modes.

capcom needs to get real and give everyone sagat for free for 30th annv. they'd bring people from the past in and give sour fans a reason to play

The pricing model and rate you earn fight money killed this game for me.

Fight Money is so fucking slow that I wanna just buy the things I want, but they all complete rip off prices they try justify by the 'free' fight money option.

It's a shitty system only good for people who can play all day or barely play anything else.

Those changes were already added in Season 2.0, they just got forgot to mention them in the patch notes so they're mentioning them now (not that it makes a difference)

Ohhhh I see. I still miss Mika from season 1 as she's my main in SFV. She's not as good... so I was like why a nerf. Thanks for the update.

ArjanN

The pricing model and rate you earn fight money killed this game for me.

Fight Money is so fucking slow that I wanna just buy the things I want, but they all complete rip off prices they try justify by the 'free' fight money option.

It's a shitty system only good for people who can play all day or barely play anything else.

Fight money is actually pretty easy to get IMO at least since they added the missions.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, $40 for the base game on PS4 & both Character Passed.
That's honestly a really good deal, because you also get enough Fight Money for like the next two years of content. Shame the game has such a bad reputation now.

yurinka

Great update. The new stages are great, to have free FM + more ways to get more FM is awesome and Ed is super cool.

I loved his character story, where appears some brand new characters that may fit the silhouettes for the upcoming characters. At least the fortune teller and the slim guy (without hat). The gorilla's head & had may fit, but the silhouette seems more human.

Arkeband

Banned
That's honestly a really good deal, because you also get enough Fight Money for like the next two years of content. Shame the game has such a bad reputation now.

Stop with this, 99% of players aren't wasting their time on Survival FM without cheating. After they exhaust all of the demonstrations and character stories they're back to weekly grinds and getting a pittance per fight.

Neoxon

Great update. The new stages are great, to have free FM + more ways to get more FM is awesome and Ed is super cool.

I loved his character story, where appears some brand new characters that may fit the silhouettes for the upcoming characters. At least the fortune teller and the slim guy (without hat). The gorilla's head & had may fit, but the silhouette seems more human.
Supposedly the last 3 Season 2 characters leaked under our noses since last October. They're....
  • Abigail (enemy from Final Fight)
  • Menat (Egyptian fortune teller from Ed's story)
  • Zeku (Guy's master)

Neoxon

Stop with this, 99% of players aren't wasting their time on Survival FM without cheating. After they exhaust all of the demonstrations and character stories they're back to weekly grinds and getting a pittance per fight.
You forgot the Trials, the General Story, as well as Easy & Normal Survival (which aren't that bad).

myco666

I have acquired about 1.2million fm and only did all easy and most of normal survival because they are easy. Thats 12 characters for free if I don't spend it on anything else.

edit. scratch that. I am almost at 1.4million fm currently.

GRIMREEFZ

Instead of buying SF2 on Switch I should just get back into SFV. This is the push that's going to do it. Looks fantastic. Also that Switch version of SF2 being $40 is crazy. Ill invest that $$ into the SFV Season Pass. Punchthewaterfall.

fernoca

Fight money is actually pretty easy to get IMO at least since they added the missions.
It still varies.

A peasant like me, earns 5k weekly through missions. XD

That's around 20k per month. A character costs 100k, which translates into 5 months to get 1 character.

But then, there are the stages. So, I buy the season passes for the characters (though spent 100k on Akuma) and use FM on stages mostly.

Not buying any colors at least. And only buy alt costumes for the characters I use (Rashid -which gets nothing anyway- and Ryu). XD

Would be nice if they gave a 250k bonus for year one users, or something. Specially seeing that $40 bundle with 2 passes, which would net a nice amount of FM starting from now. :p

Instead of buying SF2 on Switch I should just get back into SFV. This is the push that's going to do it. Looks fantastic. Also that Switch version of SF2 being $40 is crazy. Ill invest that $$ into the SFV Season Pass. Punchthewaterfall.
Got it for $20. Well worth it. Editing colors is fun and the gameplay is a tight as always.

And with Ultra SFIV been on sale, got that too.

A nice overdose of Street Fighter.

yurinka

Supposedly the last 3 Season 2 characters leaked under our noses since last October. They're....
  • Abigail (enemy from Final Fight)
  • Menat (Egyptian fortune teller from Ed's story)
  • Zeku (Guy's master)
I saw this the other day, and seems likely but I'm not sure if it's just a guess. He insists and seems to be confident, but I went to check Eventhubs and as I remember the oldest post from this guy talking about this in the Eventhubs was from March or so. In older posts he didn't mention S2 characters already released.

As I remember he mentioned "Menat, an Egiptian bae". And yep, the fortune teller looks Egiptian. It's his main point, because as mentioned in Gaf Abigail and Zeku may are educated guesses that may fit with a redesign.

I'll investigate a bit more.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Stop what? Maybe you should take another look at it. I've barely ever touched survival and I'm at 800k Fight Money. I bought the game and season 1, so less than you would get with the bundle.
Just level up different characters by...playing the game and you will easily get enough for one whole season worth of content. And now they added more trials and free 50k.

Stantron

Interesting if true. Off to google...

Abigail (enemy from Final Fight)
Abigail.jpg

Menat (Egyptian fortune teller from Ed's story)

Zeku (Guy's master)
latest

Ryce

I saw this the other day, and seems likely but I'm not sure if it's just a guess. He insists and seems to be confident, but I went to check Eventhubs and as I remember the oldest post from this guy talking about this in the Eventhubs was from March or so. In older posts he didn't mention S2 characters already released.

As I remember he mentioned "Menat, an Egiptian bae". And yep, the fortune teller looks Egiptian. It's his main point, because as mentioned in Gaf Abigail and Zeku may are educated guesses that may fit with a redesign.

I'll investigate a bit more.
His earliest EventHubs comments mentioning those characters are from October, two months before we saw the season two silhouettes.

yurinka

This is what I found about the user: https://www.eventhubs.com/profile/flowtron/comments/

Edit 2: When Rashid was going to be announced, he mentioned that was going to be "Hakan confirm" https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/aug/27/another-street-fighter-5-reveal-coming-two-weeks-ono-has-news-games-15-convention-dubai/#c848722

He mentioned in April 19th for the 1st time these characters: " it's probably Abigail or Menat" when speculating about S2 characters https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/apr/19/identity-next-street-fighter-5-dlc-character-be-revealed-soon-lets-speculate-who-it-might-be/#c1161361

Later in May 5th he said "it's really Ed. just not the same model as story mode. This time he got buff. It's pretty sick though" when speculating about Ed.https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/may/05/street-fighter-5s-next-dlc-character-be-revealed-monday-first-game-teaser-shown/#c1172080

In May 6th he said "wait til you guys see Abigail, Menat and Zeku new design. " https://www.eventhubs.com/comments/cr/33/24535/#c1173234

And in May 9th "I keep mention many times. 4. Abigail (Mad Gear Gang Boss) 5. Menat (Egyptian bae) 6. Zeku (Guy's Master) " https://www.eventhubs.com/profile/flowtron/comments/?page=1

At least he failed with Hakan/Rashid. But it's interesting that he was right with Ed and provided some details.

Edit: I found the October messages:

In a random post speculating about Sodom and Cody he said in October 13th "lies, they already put one of mad gear gang in season 2 dlc ".
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/oct/13/i-believe-cody-and-sodom-will-be-added-street-fighter-5-near-future-and-heres-my-reasoning/#c1053635

Speculating about S2 characters he said in October 12th "none of above will be in Season2 DLC, except for Akuma/Gouki. its confirm" and "S2 dlc will have Canadian fighter. dont worry" https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/oct/12/does-character-popularity-poll-offer-us-clues-who-well-see-season-2-street-fighter-5/#c1053126

And in October 8th replying to "Which characters do EventHubs readers want to see in season two of Street Fighter 5?" he said in October "Gouki, Ed, Zeku, Abigail " https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/oct/05/street-fighter-5-bringing-new-characters-next-year-which-ones-would-you-see-return-battle/#c1051155

So who knows, maybe he failed guessing Hakan but the S2 stuff he mentions may be a legit leak.

Interesting if true. Off to google...

Abigail (enemy from Final Fight)
Abigail.jpg

Menat (Egyptian fortune teller from Ed's story)

Zeku (Guy's master)
latest
The fortune teller matches very well. The other two don't, but they can Zeku and Abigail for gameplay (when compared to their SFV CFN artworks) as they previously did with Akuma or Ed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If you have 28 characters to earn FM with and you can't scrape together enough to buy at least the next season of characters then I'd have to wonder what the fuck you are even doing with the game.

Stop what? Maybe you should take another look at it. I've barely ever touched survival and I'm at 800k Fight Money. I bought the game and season 1, so less than you would get with the bundle.
Just level up different characters by...playing the game and you will easily get enough for one whole season worth of content. And now they added more trials and free 50k.

You think I'm going to play this piece of trash? I just bought it to complain about it on the internet.

I tested how long it would take to earn six DLC characters by playing only solo modes (and not touching Weekly Missions) and, while I had to play Easy Survival with every character (which is 10 fights of trivial difficulty), I only had to complete 5 on Normal to cross the 600,000FM threshold. I'd imagine you might not need to touch Normal Survival at all now since new demonstrations and trials will top-up the FM.

It took 11 and a half hours all in. It'd be less now with the improved loading times. Two hours of it were those five Normal Survival.

Capcom really should boost how much FM you earn from playing online, though. The bulk of FM is earned through solo stuff still.

Lulubop

This is what I found about the user: https://www.eventhubs.com/profile/flowtron/comments/

Edit 2: When Rashid was going to be announced, he mentioned that was going to be "Hakan confirm" https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/aug/27/another-street-fighter-5-reveal-coming-two-weeks-ono-has-news-games-15-convention-dubai/#c848722

He mentioned in April 19th for the 1st time these characters: " it's probably Abigail or Menat" when speculating about S2 characters https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/apr/19/identity-next-street-fighter-5-dlc-character-be-revealed-soon-lets-speculate-who-it-might-be/#c1161361

Later in May 5th he said "it's really Ed. just not the same model as story mode. This time he got buff. It's pretty sick though" when speculating about Ed.https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/may/05/street-fighter-5s-next-dlc-character-be-revealed-monday-first-game-teaser-shown/#c1172080

In May 6th he said "wait til you guys see Abigail, Menat and Zeku new design. " https://www.eventhubs.com/comments/cr/33/24535/#c1173234

And in May 9th "I keep mention many times. 4. Abigail (Mad Gear Gang Boss) 5. Menat (Egyptian bae) 6. Zeku (Guy's Master) " https://www.eventhubs.com/profile/flowtron/comments/?page=1

At least he failed with Hakan/Rashid. But it's interesting that he was right with Ed and provided some details.

Edit: I found the October messages:

In a random post speculating about Sodom and Cody he said in October 13th "lies, they already put one of mad gear gang in season 2 dlc ".
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/oct/13/i-believe-cody-and-sodom-will-be-added-street-fighter-5-near-future-and-heres-my-reasoning/#c1053635

Speculating about S2 characters he said in October 12th "none of above will be in Season2 DLC, except for Akuma/Gouki. its confirm" and "S2 dlc will have Canadian fighter. dont worry" https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/oct/12/does-character-popularity-poll-offer-us-clues-who-well-see-season-2-street-fighter-5/#c1053126

And in October 8th replying to "Which characters do EventHubs readers want to see in season two of Street Fighter 5?" he said in October "Gouki, Ed, Zeku, Abigail " https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/oct/05/street-fighter-5-bringing-new-characters-next-year-which-ones-would-you-see-return-battle/#c1051155

So who knows, maybe he failed guessing Hakan but the S2 stuff he mentions may be a legit leak.

The fortune teller matches very well. The other two don't, but they can redesing them for gameplay (when compared to their SFV CFN artworks) as they previously did with Akuma or Ed.

The designs for capcom site aren't indicative of anything. The Abigail silhouette matches exactly how he looks in other games and artwork he's appeared in.

yurinka

The designs for capcom site aren't indicative of anything. The Abigail silhouette matches exactly how he looks in other games and artwork he's appeared in.

TI0XhCb.png

finalfight_codyplay_0245.gif

Abigail.jpg

His original Final Fight artwork matches better the proportions of the silhouette than the SFV CFN artwork (thinner waist). But yes, it can be him.

Lulubop

TI0XhCb.png

Abigail.jpg

His original Final Fight artwork matches better the proportions of the silhouette than the SFV CFN artwork (thinner waist). But yes, it can be him.

Ryce had different imagines, but I rememebr Capcom saying they wanted the characters in SFV to more accurately reflect their actually height/weight. Abigail is much more massive than even Hugo.

Top Bottom