• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Of The Eternal's Impressive Use Of Cryengine 3 - A Wii U Turning Point?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Just because something like a brick wall is good looking doesn't mean that it's tessilated (or any other key graphic buzzword is popular).

Sometimes, the easiest answer is the simplest one, how about they just modeled in some nice depth?

That definitely looks like tessellation to me. I haven't seen bricks protrude from walls like that with out it. There are a lot of other effects going on as well with the lighting, particle effects, depth of field, etc. not to even mention higher resolution textures and IQ. If that is indeed the Wii U version, it looks to be running at native 720p and not a lower resolution. The biggest problems are the character models (particularly the faces) and animation which, hopefully will be fixed. Still, if this is the Wii U doing this, I will be very impressed. There's a lot going on there that looks a step above PS3/360 to me. It's not PS4 levels, but it's above current gen.

Meelow

Banned
This image really impressed me.
20130506132306greenshot.png

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This image really impressed me.

Yeah, there's a lot going in the video. I just watched it again. The textures aren't as good as I first thought, but they use a lot of DoF to cover it up. Still, the lighting is a definite step up from 360 & PS3 without a doubt and there looks to be tessellation being used. Everything is pretty impressive with the exception of that red head in the beginning and end. I'll be very pleased if this was running on Wii U. Someone needs to tweet Dennis and find out!

Meelow

Banned
Yeah, there's a lot going in the video. I just watched it again. The textures aren't as good as I first thought, but they use a lot of DoF to cover it up. Still, the lighting is a definite step up from 360 & PS3 without a doubt and there looks to be tessellation being used. Everything is pretty impressive with the exception of that red head in the beginning and end. I'll be very pleased if this was running on Wii U. Someone needs to tweet Dennis and find out!

I'll do it, does he have a twitter?

Sulik2

At least from those screens it doesn't seem that impressive. Looks like a current AAA title title. Its no Deep Down.

What impresses me most are a couple of the lighting effects , especially the flame holders on the wall and the real time flicker shadowing.

The building structure is great at times, o.k. at others. While room objects such as books looked like they were using Game Cube textures.

Also, the cloth on the male character's outfit was superb. Damned good.

Female character models were stiff. Hair looks nice enough, but stiff.

The lava, particle effects everywhere, heat effects, etc. were not state of the art, but modern and good.

Can we, or should we expect anything more than 'Modern and good' from Wii U graphics?

Will 'Modern and a bit better' that we see from the other new consoles negate the value of the Wii U?

I don't think so.

But all in all regarding this game, whether it comes out or doesn't, is a hit, or a flop, it looks good, and shows a modern engine being used to good effect on Wii U.

Skin

I've tried watching this twice but the video kept freezing while the audio was still going. What a shit player IGN uses.

Nothing in this Video the Wii U couldn´t handle. But funny to see how everyone is quick to point out it´s just a PC Version. As if a game on a Nintendo console is not allowed to have decent graphics. It could ruin some peoples worlds.

Meelow

Banned
He quit the internet when he made an ass of himself before. Your best bet would be to contact their community manager. http://www.precursorgames.com/team/Aaron-Unger/

Or tweet the guy from IGN.

Yeah I'm just going to ask the IGN guy, I will get a faster response.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Meelow100/status/331805884890091520

@DMC_Ryan Hi, just wondering, was the demo of Shadow of the Eternals running on Wii U or PC?

Now, we wait...

Nothing in this Video the Wii U couldn´t handle. But funny to see how everyone is quick to point out it´s just a PC Version. As if a game on a Nintendo console is not allowed to have decent graphics. It could ruin some peoples worlds.

The Wii U could or couldn't do what's shown in the video.But that's not the point. Most early demos of games are always shown on PC (See Far Cry 3, Watchdogs, etc...). That's a fact. Stop playing the NIntendo victim card.

Hermii

I woudnt call it a turning point. It looks good, but I certainly dont get a "omg this could never have been ps360 footage" feeling when looking at it.

The only thing that impressed me was the lava effects. Everything else looks like it could be done on current gen systems. The character models look like lifeless sex dolls.

Im expecting Retro's game and Mario to do just that, and at 60fps. Then we will have a screenshot battle about how some corner in a room had one bad texture so the games look horrible.

BD1

Banned
PC until proven otherwise, buttons be damned. Not because of how it looks, but because I don't see the rational in taking an early prototype of a project that doesn't even have the funds to finish, made on a PC with a PC release planned regardless of consoles, and running on a primarily PC centric engine, and then demonstrating it on a Wii U devkit while making no mention of such thing.

Maybe the plan is to crowd source the prototype to an acceptable level, then pitch the Nintendo brass to pick it up as a publisher? I believe you wrote an article last year(?) about how there was a pretty size-able amount of evidence that Nintendo was involved with this project before the bottom fell out at Silicon Knight.

Nintendo saw something in Dyak all those years ago; it wouldn't be a huge stretch to see that partnership rekindle. Too Human and other public embarrassments aside.

jmizzal

do we know if Precursor Games is a Nintendo developer yet?

Maybe they haven't seena wii u devkit yet. Who knows...

I think that it's pc footage, there is no point in showing wii u fotage which will be worse for obvious reasons.

They were already making the game on WiiU dev kits at SK, they were using UE3 but now they changed it to Cryengine, the game is coming to WiiU if it gets funded so pretty much they have WiiU dev kits

The uneven frame rate leaves me leaning towards Wii U

Prob more to do with the game being very early rather its PC or WiiU

PC until proven otherwise, buttons be damned. Not because of how it looks, but because I don't see the rational in taking an early prototype of a project that doesn't even have the funds to finish, made on a PC with a PC release planned regardless of consoles, and running on a primarily PC centric engine, and then demonstrating it on a Wii U devkit while making no mention of such thing.

More or less this.

Also, as I pointed out in the other thread, we haven't seen the demo running on the gamepad yet.

You would think it's a feature that's "easy" to implement and, most importantly, something that will "lure" WiiU owners in.

Ridley327

More or less this.

Also, as I pointed out in the other thread, we haven't seen the demo running on the gamepad yet.

You would think it's a feature that's "easy" to implement and, most importantly, something that will "lure" WiiU owners in.

One would have to assume that getting a quasi-sequel to Eternal Darkness is much more of a hook than GamePad play, hence why that's the focus of initial hype.

Discomurf

It's not Cryengine if it doesn't have these physics. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaHS-y_mapQ

And why Wii U exclusive when Dyack is in deep financial trouble? It's not a smart idea to think about exclusivity when you need financing.

The game is what was Eternal Darkness 2, funded by Nintendo on Wii U kits. This is probably the only reason its a Wii U exclusive... that and perhaps for the possibility of Nintendo granting them the patent licences for the sanity effects, etc.

Waaghals

If this was running on the WiiU Dyack would outright say so.

Given the amount of trouble large developers has had with WiiU games, I find it unlikely that a bunch of silicon knights veterans could have done it in such a short amount of time.

If they had devkits it would mean that Nintendo have signed off on their Eternal Darkness -lookalike without actually giving them the license. The chances for that are pretty much nil.

That is not to say that this can't run on WiiU, only that that it probably isn't.

Top Bottom