• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 Trailer

daniels

The first one was a old school shooter with almost arena shooter like movement, gore, crazy guns and a ton of secrets.
If the second one is even half as good i buy it day one.

inm8num2

I don't know if I can handle 4 Wangs at once. :p

Cool trailer - played SW last month and very much liked it. A sequel has potential to be really great. I'd love to see more inventory items, among other things.

inm8num2

I don't get it. There won't be any story-based levels?

Not necessarily. It depends on the degree to which the game uses procedural generation - it could either be used to randomly generate parts/subsets of levels or entire levels.

Given the franchise there should definitely be a story. I think the devs might be going for a balance - for example, let's say level 5 requires the player to navigate through a forest then enter a mansion. Parts of the forest would be randomly generated to add replayability and extra challenge for finding secrets and bonuses, and similarly the mansion could have its rooms randomly generated. On one playthrough you might find a key in a bedroom on the second floor. On the next playthrough you might find the key on the third floor. The layout changes game to game but the mission goals and story remain the same.

I have no idea or information whatsoever, but this is just my guess for how Flying Wild Hog might approach procedural generation.

StaSeb

Looking forward to see real gameplay. Those screenshots seem a little too perfect for my taste, though. I expect polished bullshots like those from Ubi and EA, not Devolver. But still... excited to get my hands on some more wang. :)

Spoo

I've had it up to HERE with this Shadow Warrior business! (In a good way)

Time to replay SW1 in preparation for E3 proper.

sprinkles

Flying Hog has earned a Day 1 purchase from me. I liked Hard Reset, and loved Shadow Warrior. This studio brought me back to love the FPS genre I left a decade ago.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Not sure...

I did enjoy the first one. It's a very fun game and had some cool ideas *BUT* the level design was really pretty boring. It was Serious Sam-style arena battles over and over again with hallways in between.

Really really wanted some Doom/Build Engine style level design with a modern twist.

Doom-era level design is alot harder than people think it is. Wasn't surprised that the reboot didn't go in that direction.

Hope this wasn't posted already, too late to check
untitledqeutx.gif

Bishop89

First one is amazing. Not sure how I feel about coop, I hope it's not built around it coz that would be extremely disappointing. Still looking forward to it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
How was the performance of the first on PS4?

Also, any details on how the co-op will work in this? Online only, or local as well?

edit: Hmm... the only details I could find on the website specified online when talking bout co-op...

KR_remix

If there are better levels and no shitty bosses this time then I am in, but I guess shitty bosses are just to be expected in this series now.

Ywap

Lets hope co-op doesn´t diminish the game when played in single player. Shadow Warrior was great but i still would have prefered a sequel to Hard Reset.

I didn't knew about this game or series until yesterday and it has my interest peaked. Has the PSN version for ps4 ever been on sale for less than $10 ?

KR_remix

Wait, was the first game any good? I thought it looked like a terrible take on the original without any of its charm.

The swordplay was excellent, the levels are extremely linear and fairly uninteresting though. Walk into an area enemies spawn out of portals, fight enemies, eventually fight giant bosses that aren't even remotely fun. If you have played Hard Reset it is a lot like that, but with better combat.

AJ_Wings

The swordplay was excellent, the levels are extremely linear and fairly uninteresting though. Walk into an area enemies spawn out of portals, fight enemies, eventually fight giant bosses that aren't even remotely fun. If you have played Hard Reset it is a lot like that, but with better combat.

Oh god, I just remembered Hard Reset... Flying Wild Hog sure have improved a lot since that game.

Hyped for some more Wang.

Mr. Tibbs

The swordplay was excellent, the levels are extremely linear and fairly uninteresting though. Walk into an area enemies spawn out of portals, fight enemies, eventually fight giant bosses that aren't even remotely fun.
Major misrepresentation of the gameplay loop and Flying Wild Hogs level design. There's interplay between a dynamic environment, the player and enemies which is unique to Shadow Warrior. It's a shooter that rewards exploration and by and large, is far less linear than other current-gen shooters.

KR_remix

Major misrepresentation of the gameplay loop and Flying Wild Hogs level design. There's interplay between a dynamic environment, the player and enemies which is unique to Shadow Warrior. It's a shooter that rewards exploration and by and large, is far less linear than other current-gen shooters.

The secrets are a joke, just like they were in Hard Reset. The game is incredibly linear, just because it is less linear than CoD doesn't make it not incredibly linear. Exploration? Every once in a while there might be a super obvious path that leads to a secret, then you walk back to the path you were walking down to get to the next room of enemies spawning in waves out of portals. Dynamic environments? Sometimes there is exploding shit just like in Hard Reset, you just walk into an area then a seal goes up on the door to the next area until you defeat the waves of enemies there, there is nothing dynamic about the environments it is just a bunch of the usual scripted stuff. This game is just Hard Reset 2.0

Mr. Tibbs

The secrets are a joke, just like they were in Hard Reset. The game is incredibly linear, just because it is less linear than CoD doesn't make it not incredibly linear. Exploration? Every once in a while there might be a super obvious path that leads to a secret, then you walk back to the path you were walking down to get to the next room of enemies spawning in waves out of portals. Dynamic environments? Sometimes there is exploding shit just like in Hard Reset, you just walk into an area then a seal goes up on the door to the next area until you defeat the waves of enemies there, there is nothing dynamic about the environments it is just a bunch of the usual scripted stuff. This game is just Hard Reset 2.0

Linear does not describe all the level design in Shadow Warrior. Some of it, sure, but not everything on offer. The secrets aren't the only branching paths. Take chapter 3 for instance, part of the level a mini-sandbox. Loads of levels feature some form of backtracking or a combat arena. Shadow Warrior has some of the least static environments in any single player shooter I can think of. Just about every prop in the world can either be shot, broken, or explode with just a few shots from coffee tables and lamps to vending-machines and awkwardly placed firework displays. Calling it Hard Reset 2.0 is selling it short.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mannn, I have the 1st one sitting there, unplayed, in my PS4. Just a menu that I always ignore for some reason.

I probably should get myself playing that, hahaha.

4 player coop, new graphic (current gens) and proably improvements overall - hell yes!

coop gonna by super fun i miss that kind of crazy games (last was proably serious sam multiplayer)

scitek

The levels are pretty straight-forward, but one of my favorite things about both this game and Hard Reset were how much the environment could be used as a weapon. It's extremely satisfying to me when there is a horde of enemies coming my way and I shoot a car or whatever and set off a huge chain reaction taking out 80% of them at once.

Making sure your co-op buddies are out of the way before setting one of those instances off will be fun to manage.

KR_remix

Linear does not describe all the level design in Shadow Warrior. Some of it, sure, but not everything on offer. The secrets aren't the only branching paths. Take chapter 3 for instance, part of the level a mini-sandbox. Loads of levels feature some form of backtracking or a combat arena. Shadow Warrior has some of the least static environments in any single player shooter I can think of. Just about every prop in the world can either be shot, broken, or explode with just a few shots from coffee tables and lamps to vending-machines and awkwardly placed firework displays. Calling it Hard Reset 2.0 is selling it short.

I don't think you and I have the same definition of linear. That level is very linear to me. The arenas in the game are just rooms connecting two paths, they might as well just be considered part of a singular path. There is also nothing sandboxy about that level, or really any of the levels in the game as there is always only one way to approach encounters, you just keep walking till you get to the spawn point then wait for portals to appear to spawn enemies. Branching paths in the game are just one off rooms and dead end paths, the game isn't built around branching paths to allow different ways to advance the game. It is all just linear, having to stop moving in one direction for a bit because you have to break the seal on the door or w/e is road blocking you doesn't make it nonlinear. You are always just going down whatever one set path there is, there is no variety in completing a level. Exploding barrels(or in this case cars, and vending/arcade machines) might make the combat a tad bit more dynamic, but they don't make the levels more dynamic when they don't do anything to change the level when used.

Mr. Tibbs

I don't think you and I have the same definition of linear. That level is very linear to me. The arenas in the game are just rooms connecting two paths, they might as well just be considered part of a singular path. There is also nothing sandboxy about that level, or really any of the levels in the game as there is always only one way to approach encounters, you just keep walking till you get to the spawn point then wait for portals to appear to spawn enemies. Branching paths in the game are just one off rooms and dead end paths, the game isn't built around branching paths to allow different ways to advance the game. It is all just linear, having to stop moving in one direction for a bit because you have to break the seal on the door or w/e is road blocking you doesn't make it nonlinear. You are always just going down whatever one set path there is, there is no variety in completing a level. Exploding barrels(or in this case cars, and vending/arcade machines) might make the combat a tad bit more dynamic, but they don't make the levels more dynamic when they don't do anything to change the level when used.

We're just going to have to leave it there. I don't think you appreciate what linear level design is, or why it's not a bad thing (it's certainly the most-played out criticism when it comes to shooters). Chapter 4, like many levels in the game, features non-linear elements which allow the player to approach enemies from multiple directions, using a variety of weapons and tactics. Shadow Warrior's level design empathizes player agency.

nded

I'm ready.

Only disappointing thing is they missed adding an 'S' to the title reveal to really hammer in the co-op aspect.

Tacitus_

Niiiiice. I just hope coop doesn't mess the game up.

We're just going to have to leave it there. I don't think you appreciate what linear level design is, or why it's not a bad thing (it's certainly the most-played out criticism when it comes to shooters). Chapter 4, like many levels in the game, features non-linear elements which allow the player to approach enemies from multiple directions, using a variety of weapons and tactics. Shadow Warrior's level design empathizes player agency.

The reboots level designs would be fine if they only had to compare to other modern shooters, but the original was a BUILD game with levels almost as good as Duke Nukem 3Ds.

sn00zer

Really hope the level design is fixed..... honestly it was straight horrible in the first outside of the first and last level

I'm ready.

Only disappointing thing is they missed adding an 'S' to the title reveal to really hammer in the co-op aspect.
Going plural with Shadow Warriors would've been a cool move.

I really like the original reboot. I was about 8-9 levels in before my gaming rig pooped out. However, it was already wearing out its welcome and I didn't care for the upgrading system (I would prefer something more streamlined and not so fiddly. Just preference of course.) Sequel looks like it will be terrific, trailer was neat. Judging by semi-arena gameplay in original reboot, I can totally see co-op, a la Serious Sam.

I'll definitely be getting this day one. Shadow Warrior 2013 is a surprisingly great game, and I loved every minute of it. I've said this before, but Shadow Warrior 2013 is what Duke Nukem Forever should have been.

I'm ready for more Wang!

Top Bottom