• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong |OT| Little Trouble in Big China

cj_iwakura

I leave Berlin for one little year...

E4FD157CF6E0C1639DCDFEE612DC5DDAD330224C

Also, my new hero:

Novahot deal alert, go!

The Humble Store has the Shadowrun triple pack on sale for -50% off (or, $24.99 USD)!
That includes SR Returns, SR: Dragonfall, and SR: Hong Kong. So, for a couple dollars more than the base game you'll get everything. If you don't own any of them, this deal is pretty sweet. It ends in about three days from this post.

Do you thing, aspiring shadowrunners.

NinjaEdit: Or, y'know, what JC Sera linked to in the previous post. Lol... D'oh!

xezuru

Anyone got some tips on building a melee character?
In Dragonfall I had a sword and was cleavestun tyrant, but I forgot what I built and just started Hong Kong with it's slight differences/party composition.

If anything, what are some highly recommended stat/skills to meet the thresholds of.

Anyone got some tips on building a melee character?
In Dragonfall I had a sword and was cleavestun tyrant, but I forgot what I built and just started Hong Kong with it's slight differences/party composition.

If anything, what are some highly recommended stat/skills to meet the thresholds of.

Step 1. Embrace cyberware and hollow out your soul.
Step 2. Dominate.

High Con, STR, cyberware affinity, and unarmed profiency (with a dash of dodge and whatever else you want) are all you need to be a god of war. You'll shred enemies in a single turn and survive all but the roughest of battles.

xezuru

Can you stack cyberware actives? I mean you prolly can't stack them at the same time but for example: If you have two of the same Leg Cyberwares (Active gives you +4 Movement) do you get two separate actives with separate cool downs?

I haven't tried, but probably not. The passive benefits are what you're after, anyways.

Any time you spend not attacking is an action wasted, especially when you're a cyberware samurai. Their sheer strength is unmatched.

ArjanN

To be honest (like most RPGs) the game isn't hard enough that you have to powergame it at all, so really you can pretty much build your character any way you like.

JC Sera

To be honest (like most RPGs) the game isn't hard enough that you have to powergame it at all, so really you can pretty much build your character any way you like.
Did you play hard or normal
I've noticed playing hard I cant really spot the difference, but thats the first hour in

epmode

GAF, my Shadowrun: Hong Kong messenger bag just arrived. It's pretty nice! Soft leather, all black with a Shadowrun icon embossed on the front. There isn't any text so only those familiar with the franchise will notice.

The main bag flap is held in place with magnetized buttons and there are a bunch of useful compartments. I might have a new murse!

Granjinha

Just finished it. Loved the game.

Still prefer Dragonfall: Director's Cut overall. Mostly thanks to the final mission. But i really liked the game. And man, spoilers about the ending:

If you speak with Crafty and get her mother's notes about the Yama Kings, you can be pretty badass at the ending, huh? Loved sending that Yama King back through the portal without anything that she (it?) wanted :')

Memory

Saw the bump and thought it was news about the mini-campaign :( . Should be coming soon though right? not too many weeks left in the year.

Lime

Does anyone know the word on the Backer rewards? I haven't received the panorama Poster, the Hong Kong sourcebook, E-Novel , and Annotated "Into the Shadows" PDF, and the audio commentary

cj_iwakura

Does anyone know the word on the Backer rewards? I haven't received the panorama Poster, the Hong Kong sourcebook, E-Novel , and Annotated "Into the Shadows" PDF, and the audio commentary

I backed the e-novel too, so no word here either.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Finished the game the other day. I enjoyed myself but I think I expected too much from this game after Dragonfall. Dragonfall is probably one of the best games I've played in years and while HK is solid and enjoyable enough, it also hits none of the highs that Dragonfall did.

The game also noticably lacked the polish that Dragonfall DC had. I mean I know the engine isn't great and there are still some problems with clicking or moving to where you want, but some parts of the game are just really janky.

I ran into a bunch of big bugs in the game and often either had to live with them or restart. There were a lot of typos, there were multiple times when I was stuck in combat when I shouldn't be, and the worst one was when I had Gobbet steal an enemy spirit, later lose control of that spirit, and then have Gobbet be considered part of the enemy's side for the rest of the fight. That was really annoying, since she couldn't target enemies the rest of the fight and I had to effectively fight without her until combat was over.

The cast didn't click with me as well, and the story wasn't as good at keeping me interested. I did LIKE all of the characters, but sometimes the way the dialogue and writing was loaded made it kind of tiring to go through. I didn't really want to do my rounds and talk to every party member after each mission because it meant some 30-45 minutes of randomly talking between missions, which wasn't great for pacing. The antagonists of the game weren't very clear, so the huge main story gap between
becoming a shadowrunner
and
catching the plastic-faced man
made me feel like I was just killing time waiting for the story to continue. I never felt like that with Dragonfall.

I did like how my character turned out, though. I made a decker with high charisma, and after seeing her be completely worthless in fights for the first few missions, I gave her enough pistol skills to at least have something to do in a firefight besides miss and get rekt. But since just a pistol still wasn't great against stronger enemies, I ended up giving her a taser as a secondary weapon. That taser became fucking amazing when used with
Gaichu and Duncan's "only usable on stunned enemies" moves. It was pretty hilarious to watch Duncan oneshot Eldrich abominations by handcuffing them.
Really happy with how what was effectively a "hell, why not?" decision turned out to be extremely effective.

I got the good ending because I
spent so much time talking to everyone (Crafty is an awesome character).
It just felt kind of abrupt to me because I didn't know I got the good ending, but I'll take it.

Purkake4

Banned
So what's the latest on the extra campaign? Also any chance there will be a director's cut? It feels like they've squashed all the bugs now, but the pacing is still weird and it could use a few more missions and dialog options
like the plastic-faced man encounter was a huge letdown

cj_iwakura

Some new updates:

Audio Commentary Update
What do you get when you put 11 Shadowrun: Hong Kong dev team members in a mic’d up room, tell them to talk about the game, and press the “record” button? Some great stories, unexpected insights, and a true behind-the-scenes look at indie game development in the trenches. We’re excited to get the many hours of recording edited down to digestible highlight chunks for you to enjoy in our upcoming audio commentary update. That update will be available around the time of the mini-campaign's release. Then you can play through the original campaign again, listen to the commentary embedded in various scenes, and have a fresh save game to transfer to the mini-campaign.

Happy Holidays - A New Desktop Image for Everyone!
We asked Dave Nash (our primary portrait artist for Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall) to paint us a classic Shadowrun scene for the Digital Poster Panorama Kickstarter reward. We think the illustration is awesome so we wanted to share it with everyone as a desktop wallpaper too! It's a diptych so you'll find both halves of the image separately and the whole image in different sizes in your BackerKit account.

And Delivery of the Digital Map and Panorama Poster Rewards!
We’re also pleased to deliver the Digital Map of Shadowrun's Hong Kong in poster resolution for all Street Cred Backers ($25 and up) and the Diptych Panorama Poster with the Shadowrun Timeline and Glossary for our Sprawl Ganger Backers ($35 and up). Again, you’ll find links to the files in your BackerKit account.

You’re welcome to take these files and have them printed. Depending on where you do that, you may be asked for a letter that gives you permission to do so. You’ll also find that in the Dropbox. Just print it out and bring it with you.

Final touches are being made on the Hong Kong Sourcebook, eNovel and Annotated version of the Into the Shadows Anthology and we’ll be delivering them towards the end of January.

Lime

Some new info on the mini campaign from Mitch:

We also have the Shadowrun team, who are doing Shadowrun: Hong Kong, they're also fulfilling a Kickstarter reward right now creating a mini-campaign that happens right after the events of Shadowrun: Hong Kong. So you can take your high level character from the end of Shadowrun: Hong Kong and import it into this new mini-campaign. I think it's going to be about a five hour campaign or so. Depending on the level of detail you play at it could be about seven hours. So that's coming out early next year. Also for Shadowrun: Hong Kong we just recorded an audio commentary to give to backers, so you'll be able to play through the game and as you enter different scenes you'll see a little icon. When you click it you'll hear the development teams' voices describe the making of that particular level, that kind of thing.

Lime

And on the future of Shadowrun by HBS:

That's comforting. We've touched on BattleTech and Necropolis a lot, but I guess Shadowrun remains a very important part of what you do and you are honouring that final Kickstarter, Hong Kong. Do you see Shadowrun expanding beyond Hong Kong or are you taking a break from that with BattleTech?

Yeah we're definitely taking a break for BattleTech, because the Shadowrun team is going to move over and working on it as well. We're going to step back from Shadowrun for a while, let people rest. We put out three games in three years. A couple of things about Shadowrun. First of all we love Shadowrun. Shadowrun is now part of the DNA of our studio now and so for example, on the anniversary of the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter, we celebrate. We get a cake.

Shadowrun was the time when we developed our reputation, it's where we developed our relationship with our audience. When we did the Kickstarter for Shadowrun Returns there were eight of us in a storage closet. No joke, we were renting storage space from another game developer and making games in the storage space.

It really is the little cauldron that we sort of bubbled out of. We take it very seriously and we love it. We would love to go back to it. I think one of the greatest things about Shadowrun, it's a great science fiction setting, not just a fantasy setting. Speculate, when you travel around the world the way we're doing from Seattle to Berlin to Hong Kong. When we return to Shadowrun we intend to return to a different place in the world, to see how you know, 50 years and the return of magic affects different cultures around the world. We think that's fun. Shadowrun: Hong Kong, the story couldn't have happened anywhere else other than Hong Kong, just like Berlin in Dragonfall. It couldn't have happened anywhere else other than the city of Berlin. So that's what we are attempting to do as we go all around the world but, I think the game will need to take a different form in the future. Probably fully 3D. We'll see what happens. We have to keep up with the times.

Fjordson

Some new info on the mini campaign from Mitch:
Can't wait. Though I'm assuming that post was before the new year? Or is the mini campaign not coming until 2017?

Also love that they'll kee working on Shadowrun. These last two games have been amazing.

Pretty sure the mini-campaign is due in the next couple of months.

Harebrained is an amazing studio. I'm always happy to support them when they go on KS because they've proven over and over that they know how to manage it.

I kinda hope even if they update the game graphically that it keeps the similar game style. It'll be nice to play another one in the future that hopefully is more overall quality like Dragonfall DC.

Just hope they keep are making these type of games. They've proven they can use Kickstarter effectively, so I trust them with crowd funding.

Purkake4

Banned
That's great and I'm glad I waited with my replay.

It does create a precedent of just waiting on HBS games for the "good" version, though.

Oh man that's cool. But what's the extra hours of gameplay? It isn't the mini campaign is it?

It's got to be. Pretty much the exact amount of time they said the epilogue would take released around the time they said it would. Why wouldn't they just call it a free mini-expansion/DLC though?

They'd have to be nuts to add more missions + the mini-campaign.

edit: The real question: will it be out before or after White March II? I'm afraid my PoE playthrough will have to take precedence.

pahamrick

Sounds like it is the epilogue dlc. Super cool that they're giving it to everyone who already owns it free and not just those who kickstarted.

JC Sera

The audio commentary was the main reason I backed it at the tier I did
but the more people that get to experience it and see much thought and effort is put into these games, the better :D

Woah! That's so cool.

I guess i shouldn't finish the game until this is released then? Or would it maybe be a separate campaign?

I doubt the saves will transfer, so it's really up to you.

New content and old saves don't generally mix very well.

NinjaEdit: Actually it really depends on how they add stuff to the game. If it is just the minicampaign added to the end, saves may be just fine...

StereoVsn

I doubt the saves will transfer, so it's really up to you.

New content and old saves don't generally mix very well.

NinjaEdit: Actually it really depends on how they add stuff to the game. If it is just the minicampaign added to the end, saves may be just fine...
I hope there is also a healthy portion of bug fixes. There is still are bunch of bugs and scripting errors.

Top Bottom