• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is coming to Nintendo Switch.

BY2K

Membero Americo
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/862729616787558400

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is coming to Nintendo Switch this summer! Feel the beat with all new HD Rumble! Full details coming soon!!

C_kIAlrVwAA8XWr.jpg

Kouriozan

I thought Nintendo didn't want ports on their eShop.

Skipped it since I was busy, so I'm looking forward to it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haven't played it yet, will definitely get it for Switch now. The platform is perfect for this type of game. I haven't played any Shantae title, is this the best one?

Ferrio

Banned
Haven't played it yet, will definitely get it for Switch now. The platform is perfect for this type of game. I haven't played any Shantae title, is this the best one?

No, and I found the game to be quite lackluster. It's beautiful, charming, but very repetitive with a low amount of areas. Lot of the transformations are redundant too.

I expected this when Wayforward teased Switch support not too long ago IIRC. I wonder if it'll again get a retail release? Maybe Rising Star will do it this time, or XSEED. :p

Nintendo probably doesn't consider it a port because it has "all new HD rumble" support, so it's different.

I'm not even kidding.

Not impossible also that Shantae gets special treatment for being a Nintendo veteran, debuting on GBC and basically had been prioritized on Nintendo systems in each entry.

bomblord1

Banned

From what I've played that honor belongs to Pirate's Curse.

This one lacked a lot of the variety, challenge, and precision of Pirate's Curse while being more linear with a weaker story/characterization. Also by combining 2 late game items you can literally become invincible. Pirate's curse was a metroidvania with items that strongly differentiated themselves from each other. Half Genie Hero is more a straightforward fairly easy platformer with occasional backtracking.

Not that it's bad. It's just not as good from a gameplay perspective as Pirate's curse. It looks miles better artistically though.

Nia

I was thinking of getting it for a while because
of the Mermaid.
This might be a good time.

Was very happy to back the game and get the PS4 version, but I don't think I'll double dip.

Very solid game in my opinion, and while not quite up to Pirates curse(yet! the risky boots update that's coming soon that adds a pirates curse esque playstyle might change that for me), I'd still recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed any of the previous games.

That's why i waited to buy it. D1

Switch is a tiny bit more powerful, should be fine.

Sure, but even the PS4 version had some dips here and there (without the Boost-Mode from the Pro). But with 720p resoultion it should be fine, I agree.

EDarkness

I have no reason to buy this again since I have it for the Wii U, but it's great that NS owners get a chance to play it now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
No, and I found the game to be quite lackluster. It's beautiful, charming, but very repetitive with a low amount of areas. Lot of the transformations are redundant too.

From what I've played that honor belongs to Pirate's Curse.

This one lacked a lot of the variety, challenge, and precision of Pirate's Curse while being more linear with a weaker story/characterization. Also by combining 2 late game items you can literally become invincible. Pirate's curse was more of a metroidvania with items that strongly differentiated themselves form each other. Half Genie Hero is more a straightforward fairly easy platformer with occasional backtracking.

Not that it's bad. It's just not as good from a gameplay perspective as Pirate's curse. It looks miles better artistically though.

Hmm okay, excitement lowered accordingly

MTC100

Banned
I like how Nintendo is putting high quality Indies on their system, it's still a rather small library but seeing Blaster Master Zero, Binding of Isac and Kamiko along with Fast RMX(ok that's not really an indie title) and now Shantae is a very good start.

Let's hope that Nintendo will be able to keep the quality control that high, so the eshop doesn't become a mess like what steam offers in this regard.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I didn't care for it enough to buy a second time, but glad for those folks that get to play the game that couldn't previously.

Top Bottom