• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae Risky's Revenge Releasing October 4th, 2010

Their facebook page has all (or most at least) of the character art for the game.

6r7o78.jpg
210eybl.jpg

album.php

Salsa

Well i already made the decision, if Nintendo doesnt announce a 2010 release for the 3DS im upgrading from a lite to an XL just to play this.

and Black/White on better screens

fuck it

Azure J

Shantae: Risky's Revenge official PR - no longer episodic, release will be full game

Shantae shakes and shimmies back into the gaming scene this October in her first adventure since the cult classic Shantae was released for the Game Boy Color™ in 2002. The all new sequel offers a powder keg of high octane, hair-whipping, hip shaking action, exclusively available on DSiWare™. WayForward sets the animation bar higher than ever with thousands of frames of animation, huge multi-sprite bosses, and a quest so big it’s bursting at the seams.

Product Summary: Guide “half-genie” Shantae through haunted wastes, burning deserts, enchanted forests, dripping caverns and deadly labyrinths. Discover magical attacks, brew zombie coffee, save golden babies, and master the art of belly-dancing to transform Shantae into
more powerful creatures. Use all your powers to foil the nefarious lady pirate Risky Boots and save Sequin Land from certain doom!

With its infectious characters, flirtatious humor and deliciously outlandish action, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge offers up all the hair-whipping, belly-dancing action players can handle!

“Nintendo DSi owners have been waiting for an exclusive download game that pushes the action beyond what’s possible on the Nintendo DS or
Nintendo DS Lite," says WayForward Creative Director Matt Bozon. "Which is why we see Risky’s Revenge as helping define the system for
so many players.”

Originally conceived as multiple cliffhanger episodes, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge now arrives in the form of a full-release product. The game will be available for purchase on October 4th, 2010 exclusively through the Nintendo DSiWare service for 1200 Nintendo DSi Points™.

From the Going places of all things Nintendo.

celebi23

A full-legnth release? I guess that's why the release date was pushed back a few times? Fuck, really want to wait for the 3DS (still have a launch DSPhat chugging along) but, I really want to play this. FUCK

Yay full-game. I really don't like the idea of episodic games. Great price too.
Now need to get a DSi. Will wait till Black Friday to see if there are any special colors like last year.

Boney said:
It really boggles my mind that they couldn't find a publisher for this.

I don't try to make sense of the industry. I just hate and they can beg forgiveness later
THERE IS NONE!

SHANTAE! SHANTAE! SHANTAE! SHANTAE! SHANTAE! SHANTAE!

Boney

Banned
I just try.... the suits are so weird. Is it the girl protagonist? The first one not doing so hot in a period it was impossible to do?

You'd think with the rebirth of 2d sidescrollers and general succes on the DS, sure fire quality, and the attention it's garnered throughout the years.. sigh...

That is worth the delay. I got a 2000 Wii Point card that I've been waiting to use for months now! Oh man, Shantae and the L4D DLC. The first week of October is gonna be great.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Prices for the GBC original are INSANE online.
I applaud them for killing the episodic rubbish, and this new development certainly explains the delay.

If this works out for them, I think they should use this engine and venue to release an updated version of the first game.

It's great that this will be the full game. I didn't really like the episodic thing either.

But how big will the download size be? I just hope that they didn't cut content to fit this as a full download.

Anyway, still looking forward to it and getting it day one!

Assuming it will have support for it, the day I buy a 3DS is the day I buy this. I've been waiting far, far too long for a sequel to let lack of a system get in my way...

Kard8p3

I've never played a Shantae game before. Aren't these games Metroid style games? I've seen the GBC game brought up in metroidvania topics before so if they are Metroid style games I need to check them out.

Eric C

Originally conceived as multiple cliffhanger episodes, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge now arrives in the form of a full-release product.

AzureJericho said:
From the Going places of all things Nintendo.

Yes, it's a full release now. So glad they got rid of that multiple episode idea.

I hope the 3DS comes out soon, I really want to play this as soon as possible.

sfog

Kard8p3 said:
I've never played a Shantae game before. Aren't these games Metroid style games? I've seen the GBC game brought up in metroidvania topics before so if they are Metroid style games I need to check them out.

Shantae is more akin to Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap and Wonder Boy in Monster World, which are semi-linear with some backtracking (with a fairly clear progression to new towns and dungeons), as opposed to the Metroidvania games which are more non-linear in structure and require more backtracking.

I'm still mad I loaned my copy to a friend. Never got it back and it's a ridiculous amount for the game on eBay. At least I'll have this in my hands shortly. :D

FoxSpirit

Syckx said:
http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/news/2010/09/exclusive_sneak_peek_at_shantae_fan_club_mailer

Interesting. Apparently those with Mighty Flip Champs get a bonus depending on their completion level.
Nice. I decided to pick that game up again last night. I stopped playing on the final stage and finally went through it. Now I'm just going back and S-Ranking a lot of the stages.

Something kinda interesting. This is one of the old screenshots from the GBA version of Shantae.

2dm5r40.jpg

I guess this was suppose to be a sorta mini-battle game they were gonna put in and ended up using what they made for Mighty Flip Champs.

I can't believe how soon this is releasing and I am so happy I decided to get a DSi XL this year. I'm really loving the artwork and I can't wait to play it!

sfog

I wonder why they're recapping? The original didn't really have much in the way of story to begin with, and it seems like this one will use a number of the same animal transformations and environmental styles anyway, almost like a semi-remake.

sfog

Vic said:
What?
*searches on ebay*
WHOA!

Those are all Buy It Now prices though, which may not be what buyers are actually willing to pay. I do remember seeing a used, but complete copy sell last December for about $250 though.

I wonder what my cart and manual would go for now (the box is long gone)..., not that I plan on selling it yet ;).

FoneBone

Vic said:
What?
*searches on ebay*
WHOA!
Goddamn. Now I'm almost wishing I'd never opened my copy :lol

then again, the cartridge is still worth three figures... it's buried in my parents' house, somewhere...

Top Bottom