• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae Risky's Revenge Releasing October 4th, 2010

Aeana said:
They seem to be starting a story recap on the Shantae Twitter.

http://twitter.com/Shantae_WF
I was confused by what exactly they were recapping since they started it off with Shantae losing her clothes. Guess they decided to spice up the original games story. :lol

I got all S-Ranks now in Mighty Flip Champs. Isn't hard at all when you know how to complete the stages. Guess I'll find out what you get in Shantae if you got all S-Ranks.

Aeana said:
Jake is offering the soundtrack on his site for free, but you can also choose to pay whatever amount you'd like. It says the proceeds will go to his audio budget at WayForward, so paying is probably a good idea if you want to support awesome music.

http://www.biglionmusic.com/general/shantae-riskys-revenge-ost

I PAID MONEY BECAUSE I'M HARDCORE!!!!

YOU SHOULD PAY MONEY TOO, OR ELSE THE TERRORISTS WIN!

Now I can listen to this while drawing those profile pics!
shantae_butt.gif

celebi23

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Got any replies yet?

Nothing yet. Will keep you guys posted. Oh & the OST is out now? Damn, making my decision about getting a DSi now or waiting for the 3DS pretty tough. Come on Nintendo Conference on Wednesday :lol Give me some solid information

Ranger X

Wow.

Jake is as awesome as ever. I gave him 10$. Was totally worth.
I mean, that's how you fucking make platformer music. So good!!

Ranger X said:
Wow.

Jake is as awesome as ever. I gave him 10$. Was totally worth.
I mean, that's how you fucking make platformer music. So good!!

You are a gentleman and a scholar!

I was getting a Yuzo Koshiro vibe from some of the tracks. Then again, the original game also had amazing music in addition to amazing animation. :3

Also, my pencil jammed! >:| I cleared it out. Third warm up was a charm. Now to get shit done, son.

I fear I may die before Shantae Day if this string of bad luck persists. :(

Solune

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
You should make a OT for this. Let's hype this up and get the word out there! :D

Share some of your cool art! :)

It is coming from TTOB and Dragona...

The Take Out Bandit said:
This weekend.

These profile pics aren't gonna draw themselves!
Plus the HD on my Macbook / Photoshop machine died last Thursday. :(
:p

ILikeFeet

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
The only down side to zombie sex is no more oral. ;)

if I was going to get one-time oral, I'd rather it come from Adorea

I will prolly have to wait until the 3DS to get this. money is really tight at the moment >_<

IGN Review!!!! 9!!!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/112/1124899p1.html

Some tidbits:

• Game is 6 hours long! Not bad considering most retail console games are the same. And for a 2D platformer, 6 hours is like playing through one of DS Castlevania games or through Metroid Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Fusion! That's a long game for a 2D platformer!
  • Game is like Metroid and Castlevania. You use a whip with her hair and the design is like Metroid where you can't go to previous areas without unlocking new items or skills!

Let's get that OT going! :D

Busaiku

Have there been any indications of this coming out as a retail game?
I would certainly not mind paying $20-$30 for this.

I would guess not, but still holding out some hope.

Busaiku said:
Have there been any indications of this coming out as a retail game?
I would certainly not mind paying $20-$30 for this.

I would guess not, but still holding out some hope.
Probably not. But there could be more content once the 3DS hits. And you can transfer DSiWare games to the 3DS so that's good news.

Wait, this isn't going to be split up into episodes anymore, is it? 6 hours is the full game, right? That's not a bad thing though since the review did say it requires some real skills, so if you factor in dying, it'll be even longer for a mediocre gamer like me.

What does upset me is this.

WayForward has a knack for developing its old-school inspired games with one feature that makes me go "now that's cool," and Shantae: Risky's Revenge is no exception. In this game's case, it's the multi-layered environments that go criminally underutilized.

Ah come on! That was like the coolest feature in the trailer and they under utilize this?

Cow Mengde said:
Wait, this isn't going to be split up into episodes anymore, is it? 6 hours is the full game, right? That's not a bad thing though since the review did say it requires some real skills, so if you factor in dying, it'll be even longer for a mediocre gamer like me.

What does upset me is this.

Ah come on! That was like the coolest feature in the trailer and they under utilize this?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It seems like they only use that cool feature in towns and only one of the four major areas.

It did make me kind of wonder if WayForward cut some content to make this a full release game, and maybe saving those other areas for a possible 3DS re-release.

But seeing how it's 6 hours long and IGN saying it's a satisfying adventure, I'm still cool with it. And if more content does come out later, than I'll just pick that up as well.

So it's a win-win situation. I'm just glad to hear it's a pretty long game. 6 hours is darn good for a 2D platformer. That's how long most console retail games are!

sfog

A 6 hour length for the $12 is great to hear, as the GBC original was roughly that long as well, so that's still a pretty good value.

Yeah, as long as the game is has some challenge, I'm not worried about it being 6 hours. Platforming is my weakest genre and I'm good at getting lost in dungeons. This could easily be 10+ hours for me.

A 6 hour length for the $12 is great to hear, as the GBC original was roughly that long as well, so that's still a pretty good value.

See, I thought the original GBC game was at least twice as long because I sucked at the game. Well, that and the hair whip is a little too short.

sfog

Cow Mengde said:
See, I thought the original GBC game was at least twice as long because I sucked at the game. Well, that and the hair whip is a little too short.

I replayed through the original earlier this year over a span of about a week, playing a bit over an hour each day, so I figure this'll be of a comparable length, or perhaps a bit shorter, but still not bad at all for the price.

The hardest part of the original to me was initially getting used to each new area, which required some annoying leaps of faith and figuring out enemy patterns. Once that's done, the difficulty lowers quite a bit.

Teknoman said:
DSiware able to move to 3DS confirmed, so now everyone should be able to make the purchase without worrying.
It's also mentioned on the official Shantae mini-website.

I have a feeling that this DSiWare game isn't the last we'll be going to see and that there will be more content when the 3DS comes out.

Six or so months seems so far away. :(

Aeana

I can't wait to wake up and download this game and post in the official thread. *shakes her fist at TToB*

SparksterMeta

Neo Member
I, myself, have a DS Lite instead of a DSi. I have a brother who has one so I'll check it out there.

If I manage to get a 3DS next year, I'll buy some of the DSi ware games I missed out, including this one.

I have no clue why I missed out on the GBC original. Maybe because I wanted Kirby's Tilt N Tumble instead.

Volcynika said:
TToB, I am disappoint.

I'm about to PM Dragona with the Placeholder image for OT. I will update it tomorrow. This has been a hellish week. My laptop HD died two weeks ago, all my graphical software has gone kaput, I lost sleep and took days off of work to get back into drawing shape.

It's been eight long years since the first game released and the youthful enthusiasm and carefree life I used to live is over. I'm my own harshest critic and always will be, as a result I promise to only give you the best of what I have to offer. :3

This is why Shantae and Wayforward deserve more and new supporters. I cannot do it anymore.

baw.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm hoping this hits the Japanese DSi store. My DSi is Japanese. :S

Volcynika

Socreges said:
Is there absolutely no way to get this game without a DSi? I'll have a 3DS eventually (got a regular DS right now). Do you think it'll still be available in several months?

:lol

I see no reason for it to be removed from DSiWare, so you should be fine.

Top Bottom