• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Share of men who are obese.

Azurro

Banned
And it's not even good coffee! The donuts are awful and the breakfast sandwiches taste like the powdered eggs are mixed in the slop bucket they wash the toilets with every night.

Hey, hey, ok, you can have the coffee and the donuts, but the BLT bagel is the stuff of heavens. :messenger_beaming:

Pagusas

Elden Member
And just imagine how many of them wonder why they can’t get laid and likely blame everything else but their disgusting selves.

Original data: https://databank.worldbank.org/data/reports.aspx?source=283&series=SH.STA.OB18.MA.ZS

It is using BMI as the basis for this. Why would BMI be worthless?

I wouldn't say it's completely worthless, but it's not exactly highly accurate either. A skinny fat dude with low muscular mass and high body fat might be normal weight while a muscular protein monster techno viking with low body fat might be a fat fuck according to BMI.

what he said. if you are in shape it is completely inaccurate

i'm 6'2, 210 lbs with 10% bodyfat, have been working out since high school (I'm 35 now). i have a resting heart rate of 50 bpm and a 6 pack
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Using BMI, i'm overweight with a score of 27. if i get carried away with bulking and hit 235 lbs, i'm considered obese. bodyfat percentage is a much better indicator for people who are active

there is a lot more to how in/out of shape someone is than solely their height and weight

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It always makes me cringe from both a health and environmental perspective that people can't just walk inside and order food.

People are so lazy, I went to DQ yesterday, there was a line all the way around the building. I parked, went inside and came out within 3 min with my large cookie dough Blizzard. Hnnnng

Last edited:

DavidGzz

35% is actually pretty good considering the amount of sugar out there. It's everywhere and obesity is the ultimate dilemma in America and will continue to back it in a corner.

Oh noes, not the sugar! I have about 250 grams of sugar a day. It's the calories that matter. Also, the problem food actually has more fat calories than carb calories. Ice Cream, donuts, pizza, etc.

what he said. if you are in shape it is completely inaccurate

i'm 6'2, 210 lbs with 10% bodyfat, have been working out since high school (I'm 35 now). i have a resting heart rate of 50 bpm and a 6 pack
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Using BMI, i'm overweight with a score of 27. if i get carried away with bulking and hit 235 lbs, i'm considered obese. bodyfat percentage is a much better indicator for people who are active

there is a lot more to how in/out of shape someone is than solely their height and weight

IF you are in shape. People like you or me are few and far between. BMI works just fine for the vast majority of people. I am obese(5'9" 204 pounds) according to BMI with abs but how many people do I see like me every day? None. My gym is usually packed and I can count on one hand how many fit people go there. And those are the people who actually care about their health enough to step foot in a gym, most people would never even sign up.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Oh noes, not the sugar! I have about 250 grams of sugar a day. It's the calories that matter. Also, the problem food actually has more fat calories than carb calories. Ice Cream, donuts, pizza, etc.

IF you are in shape. People like you or me are few and far between. BMI works just fine for the vast majority of people. I am obese(5'9" 204 pounds) according to BMI with abs but how many people do I see like me every day? None. My gym is usually packed and I can count on one hand how many fit people go there. And those are the people who actually care about their health enough to step foot in a gym, most people would never even sign up.
Yea BMI isn’t a really good way to determine if you are obese, especially if you have high muscle mass.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

I look at the calories as well! Sugar consumption is just a wake up call for people, it doesn't put you in any real trouble.

lil puff

I do not understand how they comprise these stats (or other statistical measures for that matter)

Can you make a judgment based on a measure of 25% (for ex) of all people and surmise that it reflects 100% of all people's obesity?

To a degree I suppose you can, but I imagine there is a decent margin of error. Perhaps if they were compiling medical records?

This guy is considered medically obese:

44198538_187164775457231_8933489744864948581_n.jpg

Buh buh buh muh averages.

Azurro

Banned
Yea BMI isn’t a really good way to determine if you are obese, especially if you have high muscle mass.

While you have a point in that it's not accurate, just because there are edge cases that aren't covered doesn't mean it doesn't work fine for most of the population.

Besides, I find people are very good at lying to themselves. They'll take the criticism about BMI as being a terrible metric and dismiss their own measurement as wrong, when it's likely 90% of people has not stepped in a gym in years, doesn't eat right and, especially in North America, drive everywhere, so very little cardio is happening.

CyberPanda

Banned
While you have a point in that it's not accurate, just because there are edge cases that aren't covered doesn't mean it doesn't work fine for most of the population.

Besides, I find people are very good at lying to themselves. They'll take the criticism about BMI as being a terrible metric and dismiss their own measurement as wrong, when it's likely 90% of people has not stepped in a gym in years, doesn't eat right and, especially in North America, drive everywhere, so very little cardio is happening.

Zaru

I do not understand how they comprise these stats (or other statistical measures for that matter)

Can you make a judgment based on a measure of 25% (for ex) of all people and surmise that it reflects 100% of all people's obesity?

To a degree I suppose you can, but I imagine there is a decent margin of error. Perhaps if they were compiling medical records?
People much smarter than you and me have spent decades finding out how many randomly sampled people you need to get the margin of error into the low percent range, and that number is usually just a couple hundred to a few thousand people, especially with something as easy to measure as body weight.

Of course, studies that are basically "20 or so college students from that one university" have to be viewed suspiciously until sufficient replication, but with stats like these you don't really need to worry about the number of people.

lil puff

People much smarter than you and me have spent decades finding out how many randomly sampled people you need to get the margin of error into the low percent range, and that number is usually just a couple hundred to a few thousand people, especially with something as easy to measure as body weight.

Of course, studies that are basically "20 or so college students from that one university" have to be viewed suspiciously until sufficient replication, but with stats like these you don't really need to worry about the number of people.
Yeah, I understand that and it's fair.

I still withhold some degree of skepticism in regards to stats. Or lets say, I pay more attention to that margin of error. You would have to go door to door with a weight scale in all the apartments in the city and upstate and out of state to get me to completely trust numbers like this. 1000 people in one area, does not mean (to me) that 1000 people somewhere else follow trend.

However you do need some way to measure without polling every person on earth.

Top Bottom