• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden (President SCEA) wearing Crash Bandicoot t-shirt at PSX...

Couldn't it just be Tony Hawk himself who doesn't want to mix with other IP?
If that was the case, why did he not have a problem with having Octodad, Ratchet, Ninja Turtles, and any of the other cameos? If that was the reason for Crash not making it, I doubt that the others would have made it in the game.

And people told me E3 2015 couldn't be topped.

Crash 4
Resident Evil Remake 2 with classic gameplay
Resident Evil 7, redemption
FF7 Remake Crossdressing trailer
Ni No Kuni 2 gameplay trailer
Sony Bend
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
NX
Zelda blowout
Siren by Kojima, Del Toro and Toyama
Puppeteer 2
KOTOR 3
Dino Crisis 3
Klonoa 3
Alundra 3
Tomba 3
Kingdom Hearts 3 release date

It's happening. Lock.it.In

Majine

Banned

Crash 4
Sony Bend
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
NX
Zelda blowout
Puppeteer 2
KOTOR 3
Dino Crisis 3
Klonoa 3
Alundra 3
Tomba 3

This isn't healthy for you.

LegoArmo

Crash 4
Sony Bend
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
NX
Zelda blowout
Puppeteer 2
KOTOR 3
Dino Crisis 3
Klonoa 3
Alundra 3
Tomba 3

Where's the new Wipeout?!

Where's the new Wipeout?!

Didn't you see the Destiny segment at PSX? ;3

Honestly tho it has been really special year for game announcements for me. FF7 Remake, Ni No Kuni 2, REmake 2, Valkyria coming back... time will tell if these turn out ok but I haven't been feeling this type of optimism for gaming in a long time.

He mentioned the list and then said but first "lets" and I forgot what he said exactly after that.

Just watched that segment of the show and...yeah you might be onto something. Whatever game he was referring to, he definitely wasn't talking about Yakuza 0, that much is clear.
Of course, could be something besides Crash. Hopefully we'll find out next e3.

Pardon the ignorance, but can someone tell me things that BruceLeeRoy has been right on? I'm a little wary when it comes to internet insiders...

Reading the thread, seems like Crash is a very loved franchise, but excitement would be contained if it was developed/published by Activision, even with a sony deal a la SFV. Most people seem to want Sony to have the license and have one of its internal studios, ideally ND, develop it. I mirror those sentiments and I don't think I would be excited for a new Crash from activision. However I don't think ND needs to code the game, but oversee its design and quality. I think ND can still design great platformers; their vision for their Jak reboot was great IMO and they should still try it at some point. I think Daxter should take great inspiration from Guardian of Galaxy's Rocket. On top of that, whoever designs a Crash reboot has to be willing to take chances and try new things. The old formula has to be modernized. ND has no problem trying new things.

ND has its hands full with wrapping up Uncharted 4, probably production on a new IP and pre production on TLOU2. Worth noting that they are now 300+ strong whereas they were <200 when they infamously "split" into team A and team B. They only develop for one platform and I think 300+ people is at capacity with 2 games (at different stages of development) + DLC development.

I agree with co creator Andy Gavin that a reboot would have to be a reimagine of the franchise. Wipe everything clean and start anew.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...ares-ideas-for-reviving-crash-bandicoot-19095

Andy Gavin said:
Crash needs a total reboot. There's an opportunity to reset the history, and go back to his creation story and the original conflict with Cortex. In that context, you could reprise classic Crash 1 and 2's settings and villains. It would make sense to use a more modern, free-roaming style. I would concentrate on Looney Tunes-esque animation and really addictive action. That's what we did with the original Crash, and there's no reason it couldn't be done today. Given the current Crash games, people forget that he was once cool. Our Crash had a certain whimsical edge to him. Sure, it was goofy ? but it wasn't dumb.

People were saying Shu and company said "we don't know" about the shirt like it was a "no" or something --

I found their responses very coy and jokey. http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/28465987 (2:48:xx through 2:50:xx)

I think it might be legitimately happening... I don't know how to handle this... I, as a Crash fan, have grown used to disappointment (even sometimes when games WERE coming out) and this seems like a real thing... I don't want to be burned again.

Something has to be up with Sony and Crash. When I saw Shawn come out on stage with that shirt on, I got way too excited. I was hoping a announcement was going to happen either right there at the beginning or at the end, and sadly nothing. After the show, he was talking on the livecast and he still had that shirt on. So I'm guessing it's a matter of time til Sony just tells the truth.

Speaking of the livecast, if I was part of the cast talking about the press conference, I would constantly keep asking Shawn: what's with the shirt, Shawn? WHAT'S WITH THE SHIRT?!?

CVg4Ql7WoAA35UW.jpg:large

Well, fuck me, then.

(not my tweet)

stryke

If that was the case, why did he not have a problem with having Octodad, Ratchet, Ninja Turtles, and any of the other cameos? If that was the reason for Crash not making it, I doubt that the others would have made it in the game.

Ah fair enough.

Crash 4
Sony Bend
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
NX
Zelda blowout
Puppeteer 2
KOTOR 3
Dino Crisis 3
Klonoa 3
Alundra 3
Tomba 3

Man, DMC5 ain't even making it to the dream lists anymore.

SNURB

I also find him saying "I doubt it" to just signify that he wouldn't know and has low expectations of it happening.

I just don't see this shirt being meaningless... or I don't WANT to see it that way, I guess :/

The way I see it is that Shuehi tried to act coy and pessimistic about it as a way to calm things down. This is just my spin on it. Someone can word it better than me.

I mean, for God's sake, Shawn wearing the shirt was a dead giveaway of something cooking behind the scenes. It was too much to make it all for naught. It was literally in your face.

I also find him saying "I doubt it" to just signify that he wouldn't know and has low expectations of it happening.

I just don't see this shirt being meaningless... or I don't WANT to see it that way, I guess :/

I wouldn't take it as going either way with that statement from Shu. If they have something planned and they haven't announced it yet, you wouldn't hear it announced as an answer to a random tweet.

The coy Crash teasing has been going on for a while now and it's a bit... intriguing... that they let Layden wear that shirt. Especially after the kerfuffle with that Naughty Dog fan-art contest a while back. I'd say odds of them having something in the works are far higher today than they were yesterday.

The way I see it is that Shuehi tried to act coy and pessimistic about it as a way to calm things down. This is just my spin on it. Someone can word it better than me.

I mean, for God's sake, Shawn wearing the shirt was a dead giveaway of something cooking behind the scenes. It was too much to make it all for naught. It was literally in your face.

I think if there is something to it, then he wore the shirt to get people talking about it (maybe they didn't expect it to be as big a thing as it is turning into), but they probably want to defuse it to a certain degree if they aren't actually revealing anything until E3. They don't want six months of nonstop Crash questions.

SNURB

I don't know if we should make comparisons but didn't Dave Jaffe do the exact same thing when people were asking him about a new Twisted Metal?

GamerJM

Banned

Crash 4
Sony Bend
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
NX
Zelda blowout
Puppeteer 2
KOTOR 3
Dino Crisis 3
Klonoa 3
Alundra 3
Tomba 3

Add in Mario Galaxy 3 and Metroid Prime 4 for NX.
@_@

W1SSY

Isn't Shu internal development at Sony? I imagine it would be more third party relations working on getting the chance to make the game. That would mean Adam Boyes or Gio Corsi would probably have a better idea on a new Crash game. I think I remember Shu or Boyes saying they had no idea what the other was bringing to E3 until the conference because they work on separate parts.

SNURB

I think if there is something to it, then he wore the shirt to get people talking about it (maybe they didn't expect it to be as big a thing as it is turning into), but they probably want to defuse it to a certain degree if they aren't actually revealing anything until E3. They don't want six months of nonstop Crash questions.

Thank you.

You worded it out better than I ever could.

Elios83

Don't read too much in it.
He wears a different t-shirt every year.
Crash Bandicoot is a difficult title to bring back. Activision owns the IP and they won't sell it to Sony easily unless they get covered with money. Best case they might allow them to use the brand to make a game and share the profits.
But who is going to develop the game?
Naughty Dog is fully busy with other stuff and even if a team was available they would need a great idea to reboot the series, it's worth noting on this regard that their internal attempts at bringing back J&D failed so it's not as easy as people think.
Last but not least the market for platform games is a really difficult one unless you're called Mario.
I'd really like Crash to be back but I think it's unlikely. Of course that doesn't mean it's impossible. Shenmue 3 was even less likely to happen and it happened :D

This could also be them trying to replicated what Square did.
Tease -> Intentionally let people down -> Go in cold -> Surprise announcement

They made a big deal out of fan reactions to FF7R and Shenmu 3. I wouldn't blame them for trying to replicate that kind of buzz.

ZarKryn7

Skim this post guys.

Nostalgia is a beautiful and fascinating thing. It's wonderful. And awful.

Activision. A company I'll never see do such things with Crash and Spyro that will please the older audience. They'll let developers screw around with it, modernize and change it too much that they'll become things that my childself did not fall in love with. Yet, I'm sure it got many many kids in that time to adore it. And... Sigh.. I don't know.

As a kid. I went through a lot of crappy stuff at school. To sum it up, my back story is composed and peppered of depressing cliches you'd expect in just about most sad stories. The typical loner looser weird kid. Coming back home trying to complete challenges in Spyro and pass through skull routes in Crash. Sure they were difficult, but I still had fun. It helped me sent through out my rough times.

I just want at least one game, character cameo, hell at the least, a old school Crash and Spyro of their old designs and move sets. I mean this worked with TMNT when it comes to new meets old (even though it's a TV show). Something y'know. Just one last time.

Crash 4
Sony Bend
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
NX
Zelda blowout
Puppeteer 2
KOTOR 3
Dino Crisis 3
Klonoa 3
Alundra 3
Tomba 3

my heart hurts. already.

Crash and Knack at the Rio 2016 Olympics Games

Maybe after Super Nintendo Playstation, they went to a old storage locker and went thu all there mothballed crap and found this tshirt?

That Shuhei Yoshida tweet is upsetting, even if it turns out to be a lie. I think a new, GOOD Crash game would be the tipping point for me to buy a PS4. Please deliver, Sony. It's all I ask of you.

Man

Twitter asked for a return of original creators as consultants:

@wollan:
.@asgavin @Jason_Rubin & Mark Cerny: @Naughty_Dog is in need of consultants... From todays PSX event: [image]

@Jason_Rubin:
Shawn more than earned the right to wear that shirt. He was there. @Wollan @asgavin @Naughty_Dog

If it's just re-releases of the PS1 games then it's not really happening.

Sony needs a big E3 2016 reveal, especially after a phenomenal 2015 show. Crash Bandicoot would certainly be one ingredient in the recipe.

I feel like Shawn Layden wearing this shirt, was a final nod to building hype. They have to hype a return for a long dead IP mascot, and hype is reaching a fever pitch for Crash to return.

I have a feeling, that this has probably been in the works since that first PS4 advert, with Crash above trash. It probably hadn't been ready to be shown and they'll reveal it at E3. This shirt has to a be a nod, to past present and future Sony.

I still expect a PS4 Crash game sooner or later, I just can't see how those hints in the commercial were meaningless. If I remember correctly it also strongly hinted that some Street Fighter goodness was coming our way, and we all know how that turned out.

I would assume Sony has been working on something for more than a year but these are just my guesses.

They are probably priming him for a holiday release next year.

Big or small title, while I wish big that isn't typically the case with Sony and this style of game but I hope it has enough fumdimg to make it more than a simple download title.

Those are my worries not extreme worries mind you but.

1. I worry they copy the formula too much and make it a 20 to 40 dollar purchase. Not a very bad thing but I want it to be big. Not open world but more activities and bonus levels like homages to jet motor, ctr with a part of the game requiring you to enter kart racing tournaments and having atleast 12 tracks with dlc. If they make it big and wonderful it could really sell and set up nice dlc and income.

2. I feel Shawn is probably a huge fan of the series as we know and that probably helped set the move for Sony making a deal. So I'd say the idea is 100 percent. Shu or others not talking isn't a surprise. Shawn is a boss and they obviously have a plan not to talk about it. They agreed on the shirt hint and that's it.

3. If it ends up just being ps1 games and crash is at the center well, that wouldn't be surprising but after ps2 games I can't say I'm going to be hyped about 10 dollars ps1 games and no cross buy.

Crash 4
Sony Bend
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
NX
Zelda blowout
Puppeteer 2
KOTOR 3
Dino Crisis 3
Klonoa 3
Alundra 3
Tomba 3

All this and still no Ape Escape? Fuck everything.

Someone mentioned this in the other topic, but I think either the deal isn't finalized or it's signifying their start of possible acquisition. Since Activision is an asshole who sits on IPs and wants millions just for a damn cameo, this shit isn't a drop in the bucket like with other games.

After Knack and unfortunately Tearaway, it's probably harder to justify rebooting an old platforming game when the likes of Ratchet and Clank have kept themselves relevant.

But I still believe. E3 or bust!

Taker34

Banned
People relax, several (2?) GAF insiders already hinted before the show, that a Crash reveal won't happen at PSX but E3 2016 at best. It'll come - it's an open secret at this point. Fucking relax.

Top Bottom