• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 delayed to 2nd half of 2018.

Bowl0l

Hypothetical

Would you pay $150 for a version of Shenmue 3 that came with HD remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2, knowing there is no other way to get copies of the first two games in HD?
Already paid more than that for one game. Hopefully they shipped my copy carefully.

Not going to happen, unfortunately.

Despite both being set in Japan, the Yakuza games and the original Shenmue are very different depictions. Shenmue II moves into Hong Kong and Southern China, and there's probably very little from Yakuza's assets that would be appropriate.

The good news is, even when merely upscaled Shenmue's original graphics are still great at creating a sense of place.

Uh, that's a bummer. I'll still be up for a HD remaster tho.

RAIDEN1

So with this game on the backburner (how big are they making this game exactly? MGS 5 levels?) I can't see the HD remake coming out ahead of this to be a gap filler in the meantime..

Spaghetti

So with this game on the backburner (how big are they making this game exactly? MGS 5 levels?) I can't see the HD remake coming out ahead of this to be a gap filler in the meantime..
It's not on the back burner, it's YSnet's sole project.

SEGA would be handling any prospective remasters, irrespective of any schedule Shenmue III is on.

As for the size of the environments, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Shenmue isn't that kind of open world game, but some of the proposed locations do lend themselves to bigger playing areas all the same.

MoonFrog

If you want a more optimistic spin on III not ending the story; at least it's not rushing it to a forced conclusion either. It is still going to be the vision fans fell in love with when they played the originals in that respect.

I mean, I don't want them to grossly curtail their vision, but it would be ideal if they could have finished it off with 3 and we didn't have to worry about whether or not 4 would ever exist.

I thought the original plan was to get to a conclusive ending with 3 but there'd be content left out in doing so and there could be a 4. I liked that plan.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Well thats a big bummer -_- An why a full year delay? I want to think its just them being safe and they'll hit early/mid next year but thats prolly to hopeful huh?

No FF7 or Shenmue this year = sadness and crushed hopes & dreams

KooopaKid

Banned
I don't know how they can pretend it's coming out end of 2018.
No basic gameplay has been revealed yet. Once they have a bit of gameplay to show (Like E3 2018 at the earliest given what's been shown so far), they will still have one year of polish to do, that's just how it goes. Except if the scope of the game is dramatically reduced compared to Shenmue 2. 2018 is impossible if they aim for an ambitious Shenmue game.

KageMaru

It's not on the back burner, it's YSnet's sole project.

SEGA would be handling any prospective remasters, irrespective of any schedule Shenmue III is on.

As for the size of the environments, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Shenmue isn't that kind of open world game, but some of the proposed locations do lend themselves to bigger playing areas all the same.

As someone else who has been following the development closely, do you think we'll see a game closer to Yu's vision with this delay? I would hope that they would develop the game to the scope they had originally hoped if they have the funds and time to do so.

Yeah, but that's now what he was referring (The quote is from Miyamoto btw) if a game was to be released with bugs it would heavily prejudice the public perception of the game.
That quote is quite old, because in the past devs couldn't just as easily patch it like nowadays. I don't see any reason to hate that quote.

Delays or releasing on time won't change the fact if a game is shit. Lord I hate that quote.
My usage of the quote was facetious as was the attribution to Yu Suzuki. Personally, I don't mind the delay. This is a passion project done on a Kickstarter budget. I want to be as great as it can be.

Seik

Banned
When you think about it, if that's the final delay, it means that the game will come out in a little more than a year.

I'm ok with that, because if we compare to the time we spent waiting for a sequel, it ain't much!

V1ctIm

Neo Member
No worries at all. 2018 was expected and later seemed likely anyway so yeah, just fine by me. Make it GOOD.

Spaghetti

I thought the original plan was to get to a conclusive ending with 3 but there'd be content left out in doing so and there could be a 4. I liked that plan.
No, that was never the plan.

But - without going into spoiler material, some plot threads going back as far as the original game will be resolved, but as II showed us... there's a bigger story going on. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?

I don't know how they can pretend it's coming out end of 2018.
No basic gameplay has been revealed yet. Once they have a bit of gameplay to show (Like E3 2018 at the earliest given what's been shown so far), they will still have one year of polish to do, that's just how it goes. Except if the scope of the game is dramatically reduced compared to Shenmue 2. 2018 is impossible if they aim for an ambitious Shenmue game.
This is a totally backwards way to judge progress, and frankly pretty inaccurate too.

Why it's backwards - if heavily stage managed press cycles, E3 trailers, and vertical slices were any indication of how far a game was developed, it wouldn't have taken three and a half years for FF15 to go from reveal to release (and they're STILL bolting bits on to that game via patches).

Look at something like Shadow of War, ARMS, Fallout 4, etc instead. Short, tight, press cycles. That seems to be the direction YSnet want to go in for when they finally pop the lid off the work they've been doing since late 2015.

Why it's inaccurate - although fleeting, we've seen snips of gameplay already in footage from this February. We saw it first in a development environment with a game designer working on a "quest", and then during a playcheck/review with Yu Suzuki. Big, flashy reveal it aint', but it's there.

As someone else who has been following the development closely, do you think we'll see a game closer to Yu's vision with this delay? I would hope that they would develop the game to the scope they had originally hoped if they have the funds and time to do so.
At the end of the day, it's Yu's vision regardless. There's no funding level that is the "true" vision, which is why Yu made several plans for Shenmue III at multiple funding levels; instead of just a single plan they'd take bits away from if they fell short.

But I do think they'll be able to take the money further than they originally intended, or certain stretch goals not already hit might align with overall design ambitions and get thrown in anyway. We know they've already done this with combat stuff like the Higher Ground Battle System.

MoonFrog

No, that was never the plan.

But - without going into spoiler material, some plot threads going back as far as the original game will be resolved, but as II showed us... there's a bigger story going on. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?

Yeah, I think we are running into the fact that I looked at the announcement, read the initial news blurbs and something in there spoke to the impression I got, and then I looked hard away because I wanted to just look at it when it was good and ready and near release, believing that would be a while.

So basically I am not informed at all and am being awoken to that fact (to my mild consternation, as this makes it come across as Shenmue is probably in jeopardy of never being finished) :p.

jcjimher

LOL what? It's original release was supposed to be this holiday season, how is it good news that it is coming later?

Being a Kickstarter with limited funds, I think the delay is good news. It means they have the budget to pay the team another full year, and that will mean a better game.

One of the fears I had with this project is the game not being up to the quality of its predecessors because of a rushed release forced by running out of money.

Spaghetti

Yeah, I think we are running into the fact that I looked at the announcement, read the initial news blurbs and something in there spoke to the impression I got, and then I looked hard away because I wanted to just look at it when it was good and ready and near release, believing that would be a while.

So basically I am not informed at all and am being awoken to that fact (to my mild consternation, as this makes it come across as Shenmue is probably in jeopardy of never being finished) :p.
I mean, I don't disagree that there's the threat of the series not being concluded (as a game) still hanging over Shenmue, but there's two reasons why I'm not immediately concerned about it:

1.) Getting to Shenmue III was the hard part. That's done with now, and regardless of whatever happens afterwards it will be easier to continue the series in some form.

2.) After all these years of waiting, rushing to the end would be a disservice to fans and Yu Suzuki's vision. I didn't wait for closure, I waited for continuation, and I expect the same is true for the majority of fans when they really think about it. Shenmue's story is about a grand journey, and ultimately I'd rather it kept this sense of epic scale rather than hacking it down into a forced trilogy.

LOL what? It's original release was supposed to be this holiday season, how is it good news that it is coming later?
Gives them more time to work on the game. Simple as that.

Yu Suzuki said they needed more time because the scope of what they could achieve with modern technology had resulted in a bigger and better Shenmue. That's the important thing people should be taking from the delay announcement.

Top Bottom