• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Thanks for this. I'm a 3D modeler so I guess i can import stuff in there right? I'm not sure i understand what you mean with what I bolded. So its not free after all?
Free to use, free to sell stuff up to $5k per quarter. 5% from revenue for all remaining revenues. The royalties pile up, so that if you are successful you pay more money than Unity or CryEngine 3.

Erevador

Something we haven't really talked about much:

Shenmue will finally be on PC. This is a big deal for a lot of reasons I think.

1. PC is a "forever" platform. For those of us aware of how hard it can be for people to get their hands on a Dreamcast to play I and II, that is a great thing.

2. Potential modding, graphical tweaking, or user patches to iron out any bugs or to just mess with things for fun. PC is the kingdom of Durante.

3. PC gaming culture is very engaged with the discussion around games, and people on Steam tend to be willing to give different things a try. A unique game like Shenmue, with many "meme-ish" activities may really flourish in that environment. I can imagine the 11/10 Steam reviews right now.

It'll be really interesting to see a Shenmue game on PC.

Still not sure, does the $100 pledge incl the PS4 retail copy, because they haven't updated saying that on the pledge.

AFAIK any tier $60 or up has the choice of PC or PS4 physical copy, even if it's not stated. A survey will be sent out after the campaign to ask which one you want.

Someone correct me if I am wrong

Pachael

1. PC is a "forever" platform. For those of us aware of how hard it can be for people to get their hands on a Dreamcast to play I and II, that is a great thing.

2. Potential modding, graphical tweaking, or user patches to iron out any bugs or to just mess with things for fun. PC is the kingdom of Durante.

3. PC gaming culture is very engaged with the discussion around games, and people on Steam tend to be willing to give different things a try. A unique game like Shenmue, with many "meme-ish" activities may really flourish in that environment. I can imagine that 11/10 Steam reviews right now.

To me that's one of the biggest things about it. Many years later we may find that Yu Suzuki has completed Ryo's story or, in a darker timeline, the franchise is absolutely dead and buried - but modders and hardcore fans who have toiled on say the Shenmue HD prototype can 'reuse' UE4/Shenmue III PC to refactor the first two games if Sega won't.

It'll be as unofficial as the Sonic Unleashed levels plugged into the Sonic Generations engine, but hey.

Erevador

To me that's one of the biggest things about it. Many years later we may find that Yu Suzuki has completed Ryo's story or, in a darker timeline, the franchise is absolutely dead and buried - but modders and hardcore fans who have toiled on say the Shenmue HD prototype can 'reuse' UE4/Shenmue III PC to refactor the first two games if Sega won't.

It'll be as unofficial as the Sonic Unleashed levels plugged into the Sonic Generations engine, but hey.
It is definitely harder to "kill" a PC game than one on a console. PC games really belong to the end user in a bigger way, which is great for Shenmue.

Hoping to see a DRM free release at some point.

mabec

Have they said ANYTHING if there is going to be a store set up after the KS, for us who actually wants both the PS4 and PC copy, and/or a digital copy to play day 1.

Mugen08

3. PC gaming culture is very engaged with the discussion around games, and people on Steam tend to be willing to give different things a try. A unique game like Shenmue, with many "meme-ish" activities may really flourish in that environment. I can imagine the 11/10 Steam reviews right now.

I agree, discussed this a bit as a big positive for about the same reasons in a video I did. I believe there are many more PC-gamers YS Net could reach but maybe they lack the know-how? KS is obviously new to them and they have not yet gone to Greenlight. I assume they will introduce the (trial version of the) game to Early Access and that might boost the end product quite a bit. That is if they improve the presentation significantly!

Erevador

I agree, discussed this a bit as a big positive for about the same reasons in a video I did. I believe there are many more PC-gamers YS Net could reach but maybe they lack the know-how? KS is obviously new to them and they have not yet gone to Greenlight. I assume they will introduce the (trial version of the) game to Early Access and that might boost the end product quite a bit. That is if they improve the presentation significantly!
Current presentation I doubt was even worked on by the actual game team. Too expensive!

It is just a mock-up thrown together on the cheap, probably by very few people.

Final game will look nothing like it I imagine.

M.Steiner

We're just a few K away from beating Torment's record btw guys ;)

Thanks to those of you who posted the summary from last night as well btw. It didn't start until 3am for me so I only managed to see the start of it. Really great Q&A though.

Erevador

It has been an incredible 24 hours.

1. 335,960 dollars in one day.
2. 1276 new backers in one day.
3. Twice as many Kickstarter comments as any previous day.
4. Love from Kavinsky.
5. Kickstarter page reworked to be much more readable.
6. Kotaku tried to go negative, but their own news editor called the writer out for it in the comments. Upbeat rebuttals dominated the comment section. The tide of public opinion has shifted.
7. Apologies from Awesome Japan and much better handling of everything today. Cedric Biscay heard us, and continues to engage with the community.
8. Great new tiers. Limited ones are selling out. Physical PS4 copy was a game-changer.
9. Unprecedented noise made on Twitter.
10. On the verge of overtaking Torment as the 2nd most funded Kickstarter game ever made.
11. Great Q&A with Yu.
12. Bunch of people on GAF talking about how they haven't played Shenmue but are going to be backing Shenmue III because of the fan passion they are witnessing. Have seriously seen a dozen or so such posts in the last few hours. Wonderful to see.

The campaign feels like it has experienced a real rebirth.

8Rzhp0z.gif

Looking forward to the rest of this beautiful journey over the next 13 days.

yazanov

Banned
Backed $100 for this kickstarter even though I didn't even play Shenmue 1 and 2 because I like the idea of fans reviving their beloved franchises by voting with their cash. Hopefully the success of Shenmue 3 will set a president for more game franchises coming back to life ( Suikoden ) .

Nibel

4. Love from Kavinsky.
6. Kotaku tried to go negative, but their own news editor called the writer out for it in the comments. Upbeat rebuttals dominated the comment section. The tide of public opinion has shifted.
7. Apologies from Awesome Japan and much better handling of everything today. Cedric Biscay heard us, and continues to engage with the community.
8. Great new tiers. Limited ones are selling out. Physical PS4 copy was a game-changer.
10. On the verge of overtaking Torment as the 2nd most funded Kickstarter game ever made.
11. Great Q&A with Yu.
12. Bunch of people on GAF talking about how they haven't played Shenmue but are going to be backing Shenmue III because of the fan passion they are witnessing. Have seriously seen a dozen or so such posts in the last few hours. Wonderful to see.

8Rzhp0z.gif

Preach.

And now they need continue. This was a crazy-ass good bump I never saw coming. AJ and Ysnet, having received a good boost, need to push even further. Hope they will keep up with the steady stream of updates, videos, etc..

Really impressed.

Erevador

The campaign has just surpassed Torment as the 2nd most funded Kickstarter game of all time.

An incredible achievement. Hopefully there are no troll pledging shenanigans over the next few hours, but nonetheless, the goal is effectively achieved.
How much was it averaging prior to the 3rd?
335,960 dollars in one day is an amazing effort.
10,000 to 20,000.

I don't think I have ever seen such a dramatic one-day spike in the middle part of a Kickstarter campaign. It was a miracle of a day, the perfect combination of epic fan efforts (30 on the 3rd) and just the right new tiers.

Spaghetti

i'm going to spend the whole weekend playing shenmue II i think.

it'll be the first time i can play through it wishing there was more... with an actual new game on the horizon.

i'm really excited to see how the series progresses now. shenmue was great, but shenmue II realises its concepts a lot better, and is possibly one of the rare few games that totally reconciles its themes with both the story and gameplay completely. essays could be written about how the game will combine kung fu philosophy with actual gameplay elements that act as a secret tutorial for the later game.

4. Love from Kavinsky.
11. Great Q&A with Yu.

8Rzhp0z.gif

Don't forget the awesome video interview with the English cast that took place today.

I just hope a day like this can happen again before the final push - but I feel like they've already played all their cards. Hopefully they prove me wrong and still have something big planned.

I love that gif by the way.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Something similar to Doubita in terms of scale is a dream come true to me. Suzuki will focus on creating an intimate, small scale world to deliver an amazing, A-grade story with epic kung fu combat and memorable characters and fantastic music.

This game will be so goddamn good. Suzuki i miss u girl

How do I go about backing the PS4 physical AND digital versions?

Can't yet. Unless you create two accounts. Hoping they add the ability to add "extras / addons" to the pledges at some point so we can add additional copies. They might do this before the end if we ask them enough.

Y2Kev

Ugh I have no way to play shenmue 2 anymore. I only have the xbone1original1 version and no more Xbox because who keeps that thing around

ughhhhh

Omikaru

How do I go about backing the PS4 physical AND digital versions?
You need two Kickstarter accounts, sadly.

Would be nice if they brought in PayPal and let us make a separate pledge.
Ugh I have no way to play shenmue 2 anymore. I only have the xbone1original1 version and no more Xbox because who keeps that thing around

ughhhhh
If you have a good PC, maybe playing the Dremcast version on Demul could be an option. Some people here said it's slower than nulldc, but has fewer bugs.

ajim

With 13 days remaining, I wonder what could give another massive boost at the end like the Bloodstained campaign...

Phoenixus

Ah sod it, will back for a physical PS4 copy. Really hope 1&2 get re-released at some point, don't have a means to play them but have wanted to for a while.

Theonik

Something similar to Doubita in terms of scale is a dream come true to me. Suzuki will focus on creating an intimate, small scale world to deliver an amazing, A-grade story with epic kung fu combat and memorable characters and fantastic music.

This game will be so goddamn good. Suzuki i miss u girl
Now imagine when we hit $7.5m!

Rymuth

4. Love from Kavinsky.
11. Great Q&A with Yu.

8Rzhp0z.gif

qaIPd.gif

You should be made official ShenmueGAF Preacher.

Y2Kev

You need two Kickstarter accounts, sadly.

Would be nice if they brought in PayPal and let us make a separate pledge.

If you have a good PC, maybe playing the Dremcast version on Demul could be an option. Some people here said it's slower than nulldc, but has fewer bugs.

No Xbox 360? Except a bug about missing shadows it's very playable.

OH ITS BC? I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS BC OMG OMG OMG OMG LET ME SEE IF I CAN TRY IT

Torment defeated. Next up: the most funded game ever.

Surprised no one's pledged for the Lucky Hit tier. I guess among the top end rewards the others are just more appealing.
The 64 spots for I AM SHENMUE 3, which is included, all got sucked up though. So it's the only way to get your dumb picture in the game now.

Carl

I'd love to be able to add on a digital copy so I can keep the disc sealed, but I'm not making another account for it. Sending them a message to suggest it. If enough of us do it maybe they'll listen

brett2

Our two milestones for today:
  • Cross $4.2M to unlock stretch goal "Infiltration Mission"
  • Get this epic thread at 1 million views (currently at 985K)

I'd love to be able to add on a digital copy so I can keep the disc sealed, but I'm not making another account for it. Sending them a message to suggest it. If enough of us do it maybe they'll listen

Indeed. Needs to happen. Imagine they might pull in a little extra funding if they offered the option to add extra copies.

PayPal is the obvious one. Other than that? I don't know. Announcing Shenmue I and II HD this early seems too good to be true. Unless they can cook up some quick, meaty footage of what Shenmue III will look like I don't know what else they can do to give the kick-starter another big boost. They might have just blown their load and hit a wall till the last few days. Hope I'm wrong. Another boost before the last one is needed.

j^aws

Anyone have details, or can speculate on what this High Ground Battle System is? Sounds to me like some combat engine for uneven/ multi-level surfaces...? It's unlocked at $7.5M.

Theonik

OH ITS BC? I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS BC OMG OMG OMG OMG LET ME SEE IF I CAN TRY IT
It's BC with some graphical faults like missing shadows and lighting effects and performance drops here and there. Pretty much loses all the advantage the Xbox port had.

So happy that we are already at 4.2 million. The Shenmue community is so awesome! If, by some crazy miracle, they are able to "announce" (on behalf of SEGA) Shenmue I and II HD, I can't even imagine what the boost to the campaign would look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom