• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

saladine1

To be honest, i've never noticed the bilboards especially any McDonalds advertising.

Anyone know when this DLC is planned?
I'm itching for some classic car love. The cars remind me of a mini GT Legends!

sneaky77

I don't understand why on the Modern C Invitational on Level 2, you are forced to use the Elixe... there are other cars that are not the damn Lotus, and I have another C class car.. ugh.. I am not a big fan of that car.
But I did beat all the hard time hot laps in level 2

Does anybody know of a resource that explains all of the advanced controller settings in detail?

For the life of me I'm having no luck in finding the right settings for steering and speed sensitivities. This is probably because I have no idea what I'm doing ;P I'd like to be able to make very minute adjustments to steering angle, but also push the stick down to get lock, but no matter what I try I can't seem to manage slight movements.

And since my last post was pure negativity, at least let me list some positives:

* Track selection is very impressive.
* Night racing looks great.
* Autolog, while not as in your face as Hot Pursuit, is a very welcome addition. Getting XP bonuses from beating your friend's records is always welcome.
* Getting free stuff because I've played Shift 1 and Hot Pursuit was also a nice touch.

But man, jaggies... They are the bane of my gaming existence.

sneaky77

I think graphics are better than is being mentioned tbh.
The filter doesn't really bother me. So far i am enjoying it other than the damn Lotus.
If anyone wants to add me to their autolog my 360 gt is sneaky77.

sneaky77 said:
The filter doesn't really bother me. So far i am enjoying it other than the damn Lotus.
Is that my problem? I can barely keep the thing on the track.

Bravoexo

Anyone knows how to get those cars from the PC limited edition? (I may have missed where to get them, coz they're not in my garage).

kamspy

I've never driven a Porsche irl, but are the tires really made of butter? Or is something wrong with the game?

Klocker

sneaky77 said:

sent... anyone else on 360 please add Klocker to get XP beating my lame autolog events. :D

NullPointer said:

yes this sucks... the new lighting system is nice though in that if you notice the tracks can be lit randomly (overcast, bright etc) and the daylight seems more real from cockpit view but... the post process lighting is evidently messing up the 360 MSAA.

I DL'd the shift 1 demo again for comparison and damn... S1 looks so much better but the driving model in S2 is WAAAAY better...
but I miss the bouncing around in the cockpit

saladine1

NullPointer said:
Does anybody know of a resource that explains all of the advanced controller settings in detail?

For the life of me I'm having no luck in finding the right settings for steering and speed sensitivities. This is probably because I have no idea what I'm doing ;P I'd like to be able to make very minute adjustments to steering angle, but also push the stick down to get lock, but no matter what I try I can't seem to manage slight movements.

And since my last post was pure negativity, at least let me list some positives:

* Track selection is very impressive.
* Night racing looks great.
* Autolog, while not as in your face as Hot Pursuit, is a very welcome addition. Getting XP bonuses from beating your friend's records is always welcome.
* Getting free stuff because I've played Shift 1 and Hot Pursuit was also a nice touch.

Check this out for some detailed explanations

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196575

Klocker said:
yes this sucks... the new lighting system is nice though in that if you notice the tracks can be lit randomly (overcast, bright etc) and the daylight seems more real from cockpit view but... the post process lighting is evidently messing up the 360 MSAA.
I thought I was going crazy there for a bit, but yeah, on two different quick races on Road America the lighting did appear to be different (sunny vs overcast). So the game does randomize lighting conditions at times? Pretty neat if so.

saladine1 said:
Check this out for some detailed explanations

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196575
Thanks for the link. While that does seem to focus on wheel settings it goes into at least some detail on the settings. But I still don't get it - I may just be dense as hell here, but I'm not sure what this means:

GTPlanet link said:
Note: For Throttle pedal sensitivity at 50%. This a way of saying The pedal at 0% is just as sensitive at 100%. The pedal stroke is linear... similar to a mechanicly operated throttle cable on a real car. By decreasing this value you are making the upper portion of the pedal stroke less responsive and the lower portion of the stroke more responsive and vise versa.
Not sure how this maps to a trigger, or how any of these values map to an analog stick. Also, wouldn't having steering sensitivity and speed steering sensitivity at different values lead to unpredictability when driving? Any idea at which point the speed steering sensitivity values take effect?

Kryten

I've only got a few friends in my autolog list, feel free to add me for 360, "Kryten NZ". I seem to be beating them all, I need to come down a notch or two :)

I hate hate HATE the events that you can't bring your own car to. The default cars (so far) handle appallingly.

markao

NullPointer said:
I thought I was going crazy there for a bit, but yeah, on two different quick races on Road America the lighting did appear to be different (sunny vs overcast). So the game does randomize lighting conditions at times? Pretty neat if so.

Thanks for the link. While that does seem to focus on wheel settings it goes into at least some detail on the settings. But I still don't get it - I may just be dense as hell here, but I'm not sure what this means:

Not sure how this maps to a trigger, or how any of these values map to an analog stick. Also, wouldn't having steering sensitivity and speed steering sensitivity at different values lead to unpredictability when driving? Any idea at which point the speed steering sensitivity values take effect?

Its hard to explain, so i picked up a graph from the net, ignore the text, its about the colors and ignore the grey one. ;)

pic_200808_getwired_1w7op.gif

Black line = 50% : if you turn your steering wheel 150 degrees, in game it will be 150 degrees. Pedal push down 25 %, in game it will be 25%

Blue line = below 50% If you turn your wheel 150 degree, in game it will be translated to less than 150, same for pedal travel 25% pushed down, in game less than 25%

Red line = above 50% If you turn your wheel 150 degree, in game it will be translated to more than 150, same for pedal travel 25% pushed down, in game it will be more than 25%

The further you go away from the 50, either direction, the more profound the difference between your input and to what it is "translated" in to (in game)

Speed steering sensitivity is separate. The faster you go, your steering will get less responsive, or less input. So if you feel that will going fast every little movement makes the car go left/right, you could up the sensitivity ( in this case 0% is no difference, the higher the more you will need to push the trigger at high speeds)

No clue if it is more clear now, or just more confusing, but just ask and I will try again ;)

Game for me so far mixed bag, need more time with it to make my mind up.

mil6es

god I almost returned this game due to the hyper sensitive steering with the controller, but thankfully I went into advanced settings and changed the setting to

steering sensitivity : 0%
speed sensitivity : 100%

its light night and day, im actually enjoying the game now :D

markao said:
(detailed goodness and a chart!)
Thanks for the info markao - in fact I was hoping beyond hope to garner just such a detailed response from brainiac GAF :)

I'll definitely keep this all in mind while fiddling with the settings again tonight.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This is an example of what is wrong with customer service these days:

Martin : Hi, my name is Martin . How may I help you?
2250535843: Hi Martin
2250535843: I purchased Shift 2 recently as a download
Martin : Hello
2250535843: I thought I was getting the Limited Edition
2250535843: however, I cannot find the content
2250535843: Can you help?
Martin : Can you please make your issue clear?
2250535843: There is a Limited Edition of Shift 2 Unleashed
2250535843: It advertises 3 bonus cars and 37 bonus racing events
2250535843: I purchased the game from amazon.com as a downloadable
2250535843: however, the content is not showing up in the game
2250535843: amazon said to contact EA
Martin : May I know the counrty you are from?
2250535843: The United States
Martin : Ok.
Martin : I am providing you few steps.
Martin : Please do perform it.
Martin : I hope that would helps you out reading your issue.
Martin : Ok
2250535843: ok
Martin : 1. Run Shift 2: Unleashed
2. Press Start Once prompted
3. Login your EA Nation. If you don't have an EA Nation account, just choose "Create New Account", and follow the instructions.
4. Once logged in, there will be an advanced Main Menu.
5. To access full menu, you will need to complete the first two Career races.
Martin : 6. Buy your first car in Shift 2: Unleashed.
7. Once finished, all menu options will be available.
8. Go to Extras -> Redeem Codes
9. Enter your Online Pass code, which you can find on an insert in the game case.
Martin : 10. Once finished, choose "Done" or "Continue".
11. You can download SHIFT 2 Unleashed Limited Edition Online Pass, which including the three limited edition cars.
12. When you have downloaded and installed, the three cars are available in the car lot for $0/FREE.
13. You have to buy them for $0/FREE and they will be added to your garage.
Martin : Ok.
2250535843: Martin, I do not have a case
2250535843: I downloaded the game. Those instructions are for the console (x360 and PS3 versions)
Martin : The steps are needed to be performed in the game.
2250535843: I understand that. I have completed those steps
2250535843: But the PC version does not have an online pass
2250535843: retail or download
Martin : Yes, you need to register your game with the PC platform.
2250535843: I have done that
Martin : OK.
Martin : Have you registered the code?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sometimes I wish i'd just not read here, and just play the bloody game. Now i'm fussing about the FFB when I probably wouldn't have cared. I liked the FFB (DFGT) on the PS3 with shift 1, but this feels a bit odd. I like it stiff, I don't want a light steering wheel just to make it easier to play, but the interplay between the game settings and the logitech profiler, and then all the different options just confuses my tiny brain.

sneaky77

Unfortunately they are just given a script.. you probably should just ask for a supervisor. I had those issues calling other companies before.

DenogginizerOS

sneaky77 said:
Unfortunately they are just given a script.. you probably should just ask for a supervisor. I had those issues calling other companies before.
I am working with a supervisor now. It seems no one has a clue on their end why this content mysteriously does not appear for some. I got my Hot Pursuit bonus almost instantly.

what kind of aa solution is being used on the "normal" and "high" aa settings?
On the "high" setting, the AA falls apart frequently.

Stoffinator

Is it just me or does this game look and run bad on the PS3? Maybe I am just spoiled by GT5 graphics?

The frame rate is really bad, dipping down to 20fps at times. And is there wheel support? Because mine lights up, but there are no options for it (Its the GT4 Driving Force wheel).

I'm only a little ways in, but so far its disappointing. :-[

OK, I'm really starting to feel this game now. Just finished the class D events, as I've been spending a lot of time in Quick races just trying to nail down my controller settings.

I'm using Expert (+ABS, Visual Damage Only), 5% deadzones, 50% sensitivity for steering, braking and throttle, with 0% speed sensitivity. Its tricky, but feels good man ;P

Nothing I do can make the jaggies go away or clean up the visuals (I prefer clarity before detail), but I'm finding the true driving game in here and its really growing on me.

(Random note: I love all the little pops and groans your car makes in shift 2. You really feel like your nestled within a speedy lil box.)

Insertia

So far it's an improvement over Shift 1 imo. I enjoyed the original Shift but thought the controls were terrible. The way the cars handle is still pretty iffy, but overall it's a pretty solid racer and fun as an arcade-sim racer.

I hate the aggressive "ram ya off the road" AI.

mclaren777

- helmet cam without "look to apex" function
- new onboard cam with visible side mirrors
- slightly tuned behavior of chasing cam
- no speed/turning blurring
- no speed camera shaking
- no head movement simulation
- and a few less important things

Source

U3xb5l.jpg

Klocker

NullPointer said:
Nothing I do can make the jaggies go away or clean up the visuals (I prefer clarity before detail), but I'm finding the true driving game in here and its really growing on me.
Image quality was too much to take... couldn't take it anymore the jaggies and vaseline killed my enjoyment.

Was able to get full refund from a friend. oh well sorry to my new autolog friends.

mclaren777 said:
- helmet cam without "look to apex" function
- new onboard cam with visible side mirrors
- slightly tuned behavior of chasing cam
- no speed/turning blurring
- no speed camera shaking
- no head movement simulation
- and a few less important things

Source

U3xb5l.jpg

You know that itchy feeling you get when you see something weird / freaky...yeah.

Insertia said:
I hate the aggressive "ram ya off the road" AI.

Obviously you're not the first to mention it, but I played for a good 3-4 hours (not a lot, I understand, but still) I never saw this. I kept waiting for an AI to pull some shady shit on me after what people were saying and it never happened. :shrug

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NEOPARADIGM said:
Obviously you're not the first to mention it, but I played for a good 3-4 hours (not a lot, I understand, but still) I never saw this. I kept waiting for an AI to pull some shady shit on me after what people were saying and it never happened. :shrug
I think it might depend how you play. Eg yesterday I got rammed off the road in my first race, but I was being a bit 'videogamey' in my racing line, assuming I can just charge in and brake crazy late, and others will get out of the way. Frustrating, but in hindsight not that surprising, that the AI wasn't expecting me to be there and an accident happened.

markao

I do not really have any big issues with the AI, although Miami (city tracks) was little rough, if I behave, they mostly behave ;)

Got my performance sorted out, as long as I do not use any in game AA FPS is ok, so for now I have to take the jaggies that come with it :(. Strange thing is I can capture full screen with Fraps and still stay above 30FPS, yet AA is more demanding on my rig.

Just had my first night race in my little MX5 and captured it with fraps, need to remember to ask Blim for right codec to use ;)

Shift 2 - mazda mx5 - Suzuka east- cockpit view and the replay of the same race

sneaky77

I played Mt Panorama last night online, and it was a bloodbath, lol.. I passed 6 people on the first turn. That's a hard track damn.

One thing I noticed is that the tracks feel different from other games, I am not sure if the elevation changes is more exaggerated or more realistic.. but they are def. more noticeable.

markao said:
I do not really have any big issues with the AI, although Miami (city tracks) was little rough, if I behave, they mostly behave ;)

Got my performance sorted out, as long as I do not use any in game AA FPS is ok, so for now I have to take the jaggies that come with it :(. Strange thing is I can capture full screen with Fraps and still stay above 30FPS, yet AA is more demanding on my rig.

Just had my first night race in my little MX5 and captured it with fraps, need to remember to ask Blim for right codec to use ;)

Shift 2 - mazda mx5 - Suzuka east- cockpit view and the replay of the same race

Playing with a wheel? What are your settings?

Bravoexo

First race on Donington... really feels different from the track on GRID... wierd suspension setup to that I had to resort to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kSbDqL6jY

Replay vid of the same race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GkMHd_6MBQ

After this, I decided to find tune the handling and steering... and good stuff all around on the tuning setup screens. Plus the saving of tunning profiles per track per car, just wow. Anyway, i think I found my "all around" setting and am getting great experience with it.

* from GTR I knew my controller needed a 15% dead zone. So I set that up. And made 50% steering sensitivity and 80% speed sensitivity. i'm loving it. I'll shoot a video of my current setting (no hud, no line, no assist...and am getting a good workout with it)

markao

PjotrStroganov said:
Playing with a wheel? What are your settings?
Yes, G25.

I use logitech profiler to set specific settings for Shift 2, as they are slightly different than other sims for me. In game select custom wheel and map everything yourself instead of selecting presets (all linear or no deadzone, ignore drift settings).

Unfortunately, fine tuning through altering "vehicleset_pc_custom_wheel.xml" does not work yet, as game defaults to original settings every single time.

logitech_s2u67jp.jpg

daviyoung

Banned
A few things on the online features:

1. World rankings per track are FUBAR (e.g. Regional: 30:516, World: 00:109)

2. Making contact with a laggy player online will cause them to spin out while you trundle on your way. Aggressive play also seems to only affect the aggressor

3. Loading per track is looooong

4. Autolog is great, obviously

Otherwise a really fun game and my first racer since Blur (if that counts), reminds me of PGR in its racing model. Loving it, although I'm still a total novice.

Dunno if it's me or a bug but twice now I've had the game play at a very low frame rate (13fps - normally 40-60) for no reason. In races, on the menu screen, all the time. I have to quit the game and restart. It looks like a memory leak but who knows. I am using Beta nvidia drivers and they did crash and then recover once today too. Bloody annoying.

Hixx

Got it through lovefilm this morning and was really enjoying it till the Drift events. Fuck them. So bad! PGR4s drifting was as close to perfect as it will get in a game; the way its done in Shift is terrible. Can't even reverse in a straight line in a drift event!!

HixxSAFC said:
Got it through lovefilm this morning and was really enjoying it till the Drift events. Fuck them. So bad! PGR4s drifting was as close to perfect as it will get in a game; the way its done in Shift is terrible. Can't even reverse in a straight line in a drift event!!
Yes. Drifting is a fucking nightmare. Even GT5 does it better. In Shift 2 they change the car handling too severely and make them undriveable. Why not let us alter the handling to make them drift better by adjusting the default handling?

I have no problem with the AI. It's ultra aggressive and fights to keep you from passing it. I think it's some of the best AI I've played against.

Neo 007

Played the PS3 version for about 2 hours...feels totally unconnected to.....the road.
For me..undriveable.
Got my coin back.

I love how the AI keeps pushing until the last moment.
This game deserves more gaf love.
Im having a love/hate relationship with the helmet view. I love it but it is tough sometimes.

If you want to play agaisnt a unskilled player that does not like to play racing deathmath please add me. PC Version.: Bidermaier

Dommel

Digging this game a lot, up to level 12 now and it's challenging to play.

However no-one in my PS3 friends list is playing this so that means also nobody to chase on the Autolog.

Please add me if or supply your PSN name if you want to be added, I checked the Community forum but all I could find was this moved thread.

PSN: Reservebelg

DenogginizerOS

I have been loving this on PC. Absolutely stellar performance and a blast to play.

I need others to play against on my autolog....

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this is likely old, but its new to me...

if you hang out AFK in the menus long enough, the game will switch to a showroom of the cr you currently have selected. its a nice touch, even if its not quite as cool as the more dynamic cameras and stunning background of the f3 screen saver.

also, just finished up an event at night in miami where, apparently, the ai wrecked pretty good behind me on the first hairpin. each subsequent lap i had to dodge a car stuck on its roof in the middle of the road! i love this game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Spaceman Spiff said:
You bet:

Steering Dead Zone: 3 <-- Key Change
Accelerator Dead Zone: 5
Brake Dead Zone: 5
Steering Sensitivity: 50 <-- MOST CRITICAL CHANGE
Acceleration Sensitivity: 50
Braking Sensitivity: 50
Speed Steering Sensitivity: 100

From the EA forums.

Are those in actual percentages? Is the steering dead zone supposed to be 3% or 30%?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There's a noise that happens in this game all the time that I have never heard in a racing game before.

It kinda sounds like "wakka-chu wakka-chu wakka-chu". It will repeat until I change my steering a bit, then pan to the back speakers then go away.

It seems to happen when I should be slightly skidding, but it's definitely not a skid noise.

What is that?

Top Bottom