• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shimomura's new album memòria! features a new FFXV track (OMNIS LACRIMA)

I don't think it will unlock on the main website. Hopefully someone uploads the full version soon.

I still think it will unlock some time.. same happend to the FFXR sample page, it wasn't complete on release days as well. A few days later you had access to all of the tracks.

Famassu

Because if they wanted my money then they would have released it in America. I'm not going to pay 2x as much for a CD, especially when it at the same time encourages them to keep these things only in Japan.
VG OSTs and especially special releases like this are quite the niche products. Sometimes niche products have to have premium prices if they want to keep them profitable.

Your loss. 30$ really isn't any kind HORRIBURU price for an album filled with such quality compositions recorded with a big orchestra & choir. SQEX has brought some OSTs over. It's proof enough that there isn't that much of a market for them when they or no other publishers bring more of them here.

VG OSTs and especially special releases like this are quite the niche products. Sometimes niche products have to have premium prices if they want to keep them profitable.

Your loss. 30$ really isn't any kind HORRIBURU price for an album filled with such quality compositions recorded with a big orchestra & choir. SQEX has brought some OSTs over. It's proof enough that there isn't that much of a market for them when they or no other publishers bring more of them here.

Would it really be that risky for them to put it on iTunes and / or Amazon as a digital release? I know that distribution would be risky and probably couldn't make much money, but how would they lose it by putting digital versions online?

Ishida

Banned
Omnis Lacrima link from SE themselves or is it a fan page? Anyway here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0gaoweoBMQ

See you in 2 years when they'll release the music from the last E3 trailer :p.

Wow! I've been waiting for such a long time to hear the official, direct-feed version of this tune! I consider it to be one of the best music tracks in the series so far.

If someone could replace Nobuo Uematsu, it is Yoko Shimomura (And Yasunori Mitsuda :p )

wmlk

This music was repeated over and over again everytime I watched the trailers. I think I'm tired of it at this point. :p

What would the context of this theme be? I only see it working well in a cutscene with a lot of cuts or if it's exclusive to just trailers.

Famassu

The trailer that most people remember it from is the 2011 trailer, but we first heard the music in the 2008 trailer.
The 2008 trailer only had a one minute excerpt of the song. The 2011 trailer had a lengthier arrangement/the whole piece.

Would it really be that risky for them to put it on iTunes and / or Amazon as a digital release? I know that distribution would be risky and probably couldn't make much money, but how would they lose it by putting digital versions online?
Well, lucky to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0gaoweoBMQ

"From memória! / The Very Best of Yoko Shimomura! Will be soon available on Square Enix Stores worldwide! "

The 2008 trailer only had a one minute excerpt of the song. The 2011 trailer had a lengthier arrangement/the whole piece.

Um, no. Both of these statements are wrong. The 2008 trailer is the only trailer with the full piece:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8cozto/final-fantasy-xv-dks3713-trailer

The 2011 trailer has a lengthy rendition, but it is actually shorter than the 2008 trailer's version since it cuts the music from 2:24 to 2:45 (using the official Omnis Lacrima track)

You are probably thinking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRF_4Ewaxt4

Famassu

Um, no. Both of these statements are wrong. The 2008 trailer is the only trailer with the full piece:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8cozto/final-fantasy-xv-dks3713-trailer

The 2011 trailer has a lengthy rendition, but it is actually shorter than the 2008 trailer's version since it cuts the music from 2:24 to 2:45 (using the official Omnis Lacrima track)

You are probably thinking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRF_4Ewaxt4

Ah, I didn't remember the DKWhatever trailer having this song. I thought this trailer was the first to have it and it's only about a minute long version of it:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-advent-children-complete/2300-6208397/

But that was from 2009, the one that came with Advent Children's Blu-ray.

6 years later, and this track is still one of the best that the series has ever heard.

It's not bad, but it's neither amongst the best of Final Fantasy or Yoko Shimomura in my opinion.

It's well-made but generic trailer music, though that is probably to be expected for trailer music.

This music was repeated over and over again everytime I watched the trailers. I think I'm tired of it at this point. :p

What would the context of this theme be? I only see it working well in a cutscene with a lot of cuts or if it's exclusive to just trailers.

It could be a boss battle track, or an "event battle" track like The Landing from FF VIII.

wmlk

Yeah, this theme doesn't work well outside of the trailers.

Caius' Theme out of context, for example, blows this out of the water. If you're gonna go the pretentious Latin route, then that's the ultimate.

Mr. RHC

WTF guys?

I just heard the version, it's fucking amazing!

http://finalfantasy-xv-news.tumblr....en-to-the-new-final-fantasy-xv-track-included

---

Listened to it a second time, flamboyant fanboyism incoming:

Srsly_27b157_1798437.jpg

-Winnie-

Oh man, Drammatica was one of my favourite albums of all time, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS! T_T

[edit]
WHAT THE HELL IT'S ALREADY OUT I NEED THIS

WTF guys?

I just heard the version, it's fucking amazing!

http://finalfantasy-xv-news.tumblr....en-to-the-new-final-fantasy-xv-track-included

---

Listened to it a second time, flamboyant fanboyism incoming:

Seriously, this is one of my favorite pieces of FF music, and it seems like everyone only wants to complain about it. The buildup to 2:40 and the payoff is just unrivaled. I love this, and I can't wait to see how it is used in the game. Too bad not everyone has the same appreciation for it )=

Mr. RHC

Seriously, this is one of my favorite pieces of FF music, and it seems like everyone only wants to complain about it. The buildup to 2:40 and the payoff is just unrivaled. I love this, and I can't wait to see how it is used in the game. Too bad not everyone has the same appreciation for it )=

About the only thing I have faith in for XV

Edit: Heard it. Always bet on Shim

Right, right?

I wonder when this track will be used in the game, boss battle theme perhaps?

For the love Yevon, please bring this song to Distant Worlds, the sooner the better!

Famassu

Yeah, this theme doesn't work well outside of the trailers.

Caius' Theme out of context, for example, blows this out of the water. If you're gonna go the pretentious Latin route, then that's the ultimate.
I've spend evenings listening to it on repeat. I find it works perfectly outside the trailer... Caius Theme, on the other hand... I dunno, it's a great one, but not one I find myself wanting to listen to more than a couple of times at once.

It's not bad, but it's neither amongst the best of Final Fantasy or Yoko Shimomura in my opinion.

It's well-made but generic trailer music, though that is probably to be expected for trailer music.
Don't really know how "generic" can be used in the same sentence as Omnis Lacrima. It's not even that typical for Shimomura let alone being something you hear in every trailer or something. From everything she's done, Omnis Lacrima is easily one of my favorites.

And if they are going to use it in the game, there are some parts of it that could be looped while running around if it's part of gameplay or create a dynamic version of it that keeps building up during some part of the game (I could imagine some parts of it playing while running through war-ridden streets of Noctis' city during the night). Or it's just for a cutscene or the intro movie.

About the only thing I have faith in for XV
So you don't trust the makers of some of the better Japanese action RPGs to at least nail the combat of the game?

Don't really know how "generic" can be used in the same sentence as Omnis Lacrima. It's not even that typical for Shimomura let alone being something you hear in every trailer or something. From everything she's done, Omnis Lacrima is easily one of my favorites.

Shimomura has written tons of this type of music (Destati, Guardando nel Buio, Crudelis et Magnificus, et al.) and it hits on pretty much all the "epic trailer music" tropes to a tee, from the choir, sudden shifts in dynamics, softer bridge, etc.

HeelPower

Shimomura has written tons of this type of music (Destati, Guardando nel Buio, Crudelis et Magnificus, et al.) and it hits on pretty much all the "epic trailer music" tropes to a tee, from the choir, sudden shifts in dynamics, softer bridge, etc.

These tracks are really quite different...

I don't find this to be generic music at all.Its actually a masterpiece.

The only reason I amnot so excited is because I have been listening to it for years.

raven777

well, I just woke up and heard the official version. Really good.

I wonder how they will use this music in the game. Lots of people expect it to be a battle theme.

Lebron

So you don't trust the makers of some of the better Japanese action RPGs to at least nail the combat of the game?

What they've showed of it looked pretty meh to be honest. They've had all the time in the world, so no, not really. I'll play for the production values and Shim.

Dat Shim. Somnus, Somnus extended, this one and the one from this past E3. All gems. I can't wait.

Soriku

Those songs don't sound like Omnis Lacrima. "Opera music" sure but there's variety.

The violin segments are also far from generic.

Eidan

I was ready to come into this thread and shit on Square in regards to the continued long wait for XV, but that Forest Maze sample took the fight out of me.

Shinta

Banned

I think you have a point. It's a bit similar to the tracks you listed for sure. People will get hung up on it and say they're not identical, which of course is completely true. But it is still definitely a style she has explored in the past, on multiple occasions and you had examples to back it up.

Does that make it generic? I don't know, that's up to personal opinion. I think the latin choir style vocals have been overplayed in lots of stuff, but it still has a place in a lot of OSTs and I think it's fine for now. Two of my favorite XIII tracks (Ragnarok, Hymn to the Story) also had a similar vocal style, but personally, I felt they were significantly better in writing
(and recording quality, but I have to hear the final version of Omnis Lacrimis in its original format and not off youtube to make a final call on that)

I'm hoping this is one of the worst tracks on the XV OST, and I honestly think it probably will be, besides Somnus which might be even worse. The best part of the song is the first 0:45 seconds, then it's kind of downhill from there. None of it is terrible, it just really doesn't blow me away.

The last thing she did that I actually was impressed by was The 3rd Birthday, and she only did a handful of songs on that (and they aren't the best songs on the OST either). These are the tracks that give me some hope for XV's OST.

Contact, Freeze, Explode
Pain of Assault
Brea the Brave

Personally, I think these are better songs than Omnis Lacrimis
and the production values honestly sound better as well;but like I said, I'm not going to make a final call on that based on youtube
. XV will have a ton of variety in the OST I'm sure, so it'll have some heavy and dark stuff, some electronic stuff, and that's what I'm looking forward to.

Lepcis Magna

Neo Member
Since memória!'s「OMNIS LACRIMA」is an orchestral arrangement done by Kaoru Wada, it makes me doubt that this exact version will make the cut for the OST (or if it's even in the game).

Thank you for recommending those pieces, Shinta. Now I will most certainly have to buy the OST for T3B one day. :)

EDIT: Also, ¥3,000 for a CD is not unreasonable. Japan's goods are just expensive sometimes.

Top Bottom