• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Review Thread

marmoka

Banned
Did anyone see any good video review? I'm waiting for IGN's one, but it's not up yet.

Edit: OT title proposal: "Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day"

Taruranto

Persona is anime garbage, so no

SMTIV Apocalypse DLC "spoiler"

cYl4Rw5.png

=/

asagami_

Banned
I really liked SMT IV, but it was a game with flaws. I know SMT IV: Apocalypse revamps the navigation map and the combat, but the only thing I don't know yet is how are the dungeons.

I don't expect them be something as complex like the SJ fantastic dungeons, but they need to be a little more challenging. Or at least, something closer to Nocturne lol.

Peltz

Atlus is probably the the most important entity in keeping traditional JRPGs alive at this point. Glad to see they created yet another quality game.

Their output has been prolific over the years.

The sequel to one of my favorite games of all time. I can't wait to finally get to play this.

I don't know what they fixed, but it was a tedious mess to navigate by the end of the game, and flying was hidden behind a series of non-descript sidequests.

Which was a good thing. I loved that flying was hidden behind a sidequest that you'd only get from talking to demons.

Bladenic

Damn, better reviews than SMT4 so far! So sad I can't afford this and DQ7 at the moment, money nor time wise. Will probably cave and get it soon, though.

It's my main issue with the game, which I go over a bit in my own review. It's one of the main themes of the game so it doesn't really seem like a spoiler but, yeah, it was a bit too overbearing.
Yeah that doesn't sound...good. A lot of people don't like SMTIV's narrative, but I loved how it avoided tripe like that. I just hope it doesn't kill the atmosphere for me, at least. SMTIV's atmosphere was incredible.

Pretty stoked about the more complex dungeons though. SMTIV was a little lacking there, though it sometimes didn't feel like that to me as exploring a real destroyed Tokyo (something I felt was lacking in Nocturne) felt fantastic.

Love, love, love, loved SMT4. It was such a gem, so this is a Day 1 pick-up.

The timing for this one is unfortunate, though. DQ7 tomorrow, and that's going to take precedence for me (and the next couple months of my life).

Meh3D

I remember salivating at the idea of a sequel. It was so painful pre-ordering having the date so far away (but at least we had a release date.)

I'm so looking forward to this. I loved the previous game and loved the sound track. I can not wait for this. I want it now.

Mozendo

Gonna pass on this, SMT IV was the worst mainline SMT game I've played with the music being the thing that I enjoyed the most, but the soundtrack in this game is horrendous.

I seriously hope IV isn't what the future games are going to play like

Glad to hear it's an improvement over SMTIV in mechanics/balance and characters since those two aspects really knocked the game down for me. I'm getting a Soul Hackers vibe from the storyline though, kinda cheesy but very enjoyable cyberpunk/dystopian future story. Been a good while since I've played IV now so I'm definitely ready for another SMT game now, hopefully Deep Silver announce that Winter release date soon for those of us in Europe. Not played a JRPG in around half a year now either, I'll always make an exception for Atlus games though.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah that doesn't sound...good. A lot of people don't like SMTIV's narrative, but I loved how it avoided tripe like that. I just hope it doesn't kill the atmosphere for me, at least. SMTIV's atmosphere was incredible.

One thing I didn't mention in my review and that I'm sure several others glossed over was that I feel like random NPC conversations are more developed and worth going out of your way to engage in compared to SMT IV, as they do a good job of contributing to the atmosphere and conveying the general mood of the populace based on what's going on.

With the map improvements in Apocalypse, the mini-map will actually tell you if random NPC rooms have new dialogue. There are a bunch of really minor subplots throughout the game as you talk to the same NPC at different times, and I appreciated those.

Soriku

Gonna pass on this, SMT IV was the worst mainline SMT game I've played with the music being the thing that I enjoyed the most, but the soundtrack in this game is horrendous.

wat

Fandangox

One thing I didn't mention in my review and that I'm sure several others glossed over was that I feel like random NPC conversations are more developed and worth going out of your way to engage in compared to SMT IV, as they do a good job of contributing to the atmosphere and conveying the general mood of the populace based on what's going on.

With the map improvements in Apocalypse, the mini-map will actually tell you if random NPC rooms have new dialogue. There are a bunch of really minor subplots throughout the game as you talk to the same NPC at different times, and I appreciated those.

Are the dungeons complex this time around, SMTIV's simple dungeons was one of my main gripes with that game.

As someone who found the Law/Chaos and conversely
Johnathan/Walter
stuff to be boring schlock will I enjoy the paths in SMTIV Apocalypse more? Having played Nocturne a few months before IV I found myself very disappointed with IV.

Mediking

Johnathan/Walter
to be boring schlock will I enjoy the paths in SMTIV Apocalypse more? Having played Nocturne a few months before IV I found myself very disappointed with IV.

Everyone dislikes Jonathon and Walter. Everyone likes Isabeau and Burroughs and the Master Roshi wannabe guy that helped you do Fusions. That's the lore of SMTIV.

FluxWaveZ

Are the dungeons complex this time around, SMTIV's simple dungeons was one of my main gripes with that game.

Yeah. The word I used was "convoluted," since a lot about the dungeon exploration this time is about misdirection and dead ends, with a bunch of shortcuts spread throughout since they'd be unmanageable otherwise.

The new "Jade Dagger" mechanic adds to this, though I didn't like it that much. Attaching a timed meter to your ability to destroy specific walls only means that you have to backtrack if you manage to run the meter out before being able to clear the path. It wasn't all that fun and it's not like it made for any interesting puzzles.

The last dungeon is some Strange Journey level business (perhaps not that bad, but certainly evocative of that).

True Fire

Johnathan/Walter
to be boring schlock will I enjoy the paths in SMTIV Apocalypse more? Having played Nocturne a few months before IV I found myself very disappointed with IV.

Yes, the routes are a really interesting take on morality. Instead of black and white morality it's more like red and green morality, with the option to go black or white if you hate yourself.

Gonna pass on this, SMT IV was the worst mainline SMT game I've played [...]

Same thoughts here, couldn't stand SMT IV, this will be a sale buy next year if I still remember this exists.

The NPC dialogue and world building was already one of my favorite aspects of SMT IV's storytelling, so this is music to my ears.

The last dungeon is some Strange Journey level business (perhaps not that bad, but certainly evocative of that).

Awww yeah!

Mediking

Oh, yeah... the memories are flooding back... I remember there being a very disturbing area in SMTIV where like
you were seeing tortured people in rooms or something like that

Everyone dislikes Jonathon and Walter. Everyone likes Isabeau and Burroughs and the Master Roshi wannabe guy that helped you do Fusions. That's the lore of SMTIV.

I actually hated Burroughs to be honest. Having her interject to let me know we learned a lot of things really broke my immersion. The other two are amazing though.

Yes, the routes are a really interesting take on morality. Instead of black and white morality it's more like red and green morality, with the option to go black or white if you hate yourself.

That's great to hear. The black and white stuff in SMT IV was so boring. Also Lucifer looks so much better in this.

Wow that sounds great. I actually thought the NPC conversations in SMTIV were done well as they'd often develop alongside the story, so if this is even better here then I'm very excited about that.

Been on a media blackout for this. Placing my pre-order on Amazon soon.

I haven't been this stoked for an RPG in a while. I'm so ready to dive back into this world.

AerialAir

Banned
Oh, yeah... the memories are flooding back... I remember there being a very disturbing area in SMTIV where like
you were seeing tortured people in rooms or something like that

Yeah man, that was like, the best part of the game. Seriously. Okay, best part was getting to Tokyo for the first time but still.

Also, GOTY 2016 totally confirmed... at least if it does come out in Europe this year lol

Mediking

I actually hated Burroughs to be honest. Having her interject to let me know we learned a lot of things really broke my immersion. The other two are amazing though.

??? You hated Burroughs? She was like your only loyal trusty companion through-ought the craziness.

Opa-Pa

Not really surprised by the positive reviews, but it's still nice to see niche games like this get a good reception. SMT4 had its flaws but I still hae a great time thanks to the combat and atmosphere. From what I've seen in terms of narrative this one takes a direction I probably won't like, but the changes to demon affinities and fusions in general got me excited. It's my most anticipated games of this year.

Basically I have my expectations for the writing in check and everything else I'm excited for, so I'm sure I'll love it.

SMTIV Apocalypse DLC "spoiler"

cYl4Rw5.png

=/

This is what I meant with the expectations part lol. I'm glad mainline SMT is still alive, but at what price...

Mediking

Yeah man, that was like, the best part of the game. Seriously. Okay, best part was getting to Tokyo for the first time but still.

Also, GOTY 2016 totally confirmed... at least if it does come out in Europe this year lol

Jonathan is one thing, but hating Walter is something I can't abide by.

Agree. Walter was a real badass.

Yep. I love Walter. Jonathan is garbage though.

All I can say about "Hoy" Walter is that he was bland.

There is alotta disturbing stuff in SMTIV if you stop and think about whatcha going and doing.

robotrock

Banned
SMT4's first dungeon kicked my ass. I enable the easy mode and it still kicked my ass. There's no point for me to get this is there

magnetic

Probably the most minor detail possible, but I'm very happy that they replaced the high pitched beeps sound effects from the menus with more subdued ones.

SirNinja

Oh shit, I thought this was still a few months out for some reason. Going to have to reluctantly put this one on the wishlist as I go through DQ7. Good scores though!

Top Bottom