• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Developer Q&A Session

wrowa

The last boss must always be dangerous and conceived to be able to screw you up no matter how much grinding you do.
You should always be able to push the odds to your favor with good strategy but never be able to be sure 100% to succeed.

I think that's a pretty stupid philosophy, to be honest. Having a boss that might be impossible for you to beat if you are unlucky and thus locking you out of an ending to a game you've played for dozens of hours is just a bad thing to do.

Most people don't finish their games anyway, there's no need to punish the ones who chose to continue playing till the very end.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's not impossible. Dq9 happened. It depends if Altus is happy with its persona fanbase or decides to try new things.
Hardly I know. Not impossible.
Anyway I hope to ear out new details soon on smt4

It isn't though.

They've been working on it after Catherine, which was their dive into the HD world to see if they could handle it.

Reversed

I think the ditching of Moon Phases is understandable (as long as they don't drop the negotiations part, all it's fine). There are no more random encounters anymore and there's chance not everyone liked the extra walking in order to change the Moon's phase.

Such a shame since it was a pleasure to play with.

Soulhouf

The moon phase system...I'll kinda miss it but when you think about it you realize it's ignorable for like 95% of the game. It's more of a gimmick than anything.

I know what you mean, but the moon phases is so SMT. I definitely add a special flavor to the games. They can't drop it like that.
I suspect there are a new elaborate system that will replace it.

Kenka

All I have to say regarding OP info is

fap.gif

The last boss must always be dangerous and conceived to be able to screw you up no matter how much grinding you do.
You should always be able to push the odds to your favor with good strategy but never be able to be sure 100% to succeed.

It's the long tepid slog to get to that boss then SPIKE. The game didn't seem to give a fuck what you did before that as long as you had at least some healing and buffing then that.

Pretty much all of this information is great. I've never actually been a huge fan of the moon system, so I'm not particularly sad to see that go away; meanwhile, the systems and content in this game seem to be right on point for the first mainline SMT in ten years.

Is it terrible that I might actually be almost more excited for the soundtrack though?

It's only an option right? I pretty much prefer rerolling the fusion to get what I want.

why on earth would you prefer this

To be honest, I don't mind hugs and kisses demon fusing that much, but I'm not sad to see it gone either.

Cute.

I'm scared of the repercussions the replacement brings: mudflation and power creep.

Very few clamor for restrictions compared to those clamoring for ease and comfort, but that's not where the game design is balanced; they are only methods to get to a goal, not the goal itself.

Soriku

I thought about the Moon Phase thing, and the only logical conclusion I can come up with is that it's changed to Solar Noise. In fact, this game has really been Digital Devil Saga 3 all along!

Oersted

Should be. Nocturne was easily 50+ hours. I spent 80 hours myself. I also spent 60 on Strange Journey. This game has 100 sidequests so that playtime should be accurate. Some people could even go 100+, especially those wanting to get the 400+ demons. And we'll see what DLC adds.

Well, I´m in.

Soulhouf

It's the long tepid slog to get to that boss then SPIKE. The game didn't seem to give a fuck what you did before that as long as you had at least some healing and buffing then that.

The boss is only a couple of minutes away from the save terminal, so yeah, it's not really a big deal.

I like to see my efforts being rewarded, even if that effort is simply re-rolling the dices over and over until I get the desired results.
If I don't make that effort, I will very likely get a shitty result. I don't expect to get good results for free.
That's how I see it.

I like to see my efforts rewarded, even if that effort is simply re-rolling the dices over and over until I get the desired results.
If I don't make that effort, I will very likely get a shitty result. I don't expect to get good results for free.
That's how I see it.

I understand how this man feels. In Persona 4, making a Metatron that nulls/absorbs/reflects everything was so satisfying even though it took so long. By comparison, I casually made that same thing in 2 minutes on a whim in Persona 4 Golden, all the satisfaction was gone.

Persona86

Banned
Any chance 3DS gets a Persona game? Not much interested in Shin.

No way Persona 5 will be on 3DS as an exclusive.

PS3 or PS4 guaranteed.

They said Catherine was kind of a test for the next Persona which to me points to a PS3/Xbox 360 game.

I'm excited to finally play a HD Persona/SMT game.

But the 3DS may have it's own unique Persona game, which would be great.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

PS3 or PS4 guaranteed.

They said Catherine was kind of a test for the next Persona which to me points to a PS3/Xbox 360 game.

3DS is the perfect place for an ultimate version of Persona 3 in my mind.

Just call it Persona 3DS and have all the features of Fes and Portable plus I don't know, some streetpass nonsense or something.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Just call it Persona 3DS and have all the features of Fes and Portable plus I don't know, some streetpass nonsense or something.

The perfect place is where graphics would still have to be downgraded? This is crazy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not that it will happen (or even much makes sense to happen), but Persona 3 is hardly DQVIII/VP2/FFXII in terms of top notch PS2 graphics.

Also one of the games on the PS2 top graphics list, Snake Eater, looks better on the 3DS even in its cut down state. Modern shaders can work wonders.

This is horribly off topic though and I'm sorry to have started it.

If Soul Hackers is anything to go buy this game will be extensively voiced. They voiced practically every line in SH including some that they probably shouldn't have bothered with.

Also one of the games on the PS2 top graphics list, Snake Eater, looks better on the 3DS even in its cut down state. Modern shaders can work wonders.

This is horribly off topic though and I'm sorry to have started it.

If Soul Hackers is anything to go buy this game will be extensively voiced. They voiced practically every line in SH including some that they probably shouldn't have bothered with.

What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
PSVita is the perfect place for an ultimate version of Persona 3 in my mind.

I agree.

What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do? What will you do?

A great big virtual Hee-ho to you!

the only thing wrong with rpgs with turn-based combat is nothing :) ...

if the story/characters are interesting, if the game looks & sounds good, & if the mechanics are interesting, clever, & allow for challenge, these games can still be as rewarding & enjoyable as they ever were...

that said, please, atlus - no final boss battle (see: strange journey) that involves a boss having an unblockable one-hit insta-death attack, okay? because that's just cheap, not clever...

Agree with everything said here. Except for the bit about Strange Journey. I'm no SMT expert by any means, but I didn't think SJ was difficult at all. You might lose a boss fight or two, but you can always try again, no big deal.

I like to see my efforts being rewarded, even if that effort is simply re-rolling the dices over and over until I get the desired results.

It's the worst kind of effort, though. It's literally grinding. The interesting part of complex demon fusion comes from having particularly rare skills and then having to map out the chain of inheritance that'll allow you to combine them on your target demon. If the demon family design is done well, that's still going to be interesting and challenging, it just won't take endless XOXOXO to produce a result that you already know is possible.

Also, I mean, I've seen people online take an hour XOing for various things, but in my experience it was usually more like a couple minutes for the combinations I was making. I made an all-element-null and an all-element-attack Persona in P4. Each one probably took twenty minutes total -- five to plan out inheritance, fifteen minutes doing XOXOXO on about six or seven different demons. I don't think it'd be less satisfying to spend seven minutes on each instead.

Any chance 3DS gets a Persona game? Not much interested in Shin.

It was on a release list around E3 2010. Nothing since then.

I understand how this man feels. In Persona 4, making a Metatron that nulls/absorbs/reflects everything was so satisfying even though it took so long. By comparison, I casually made that same thing in 2 minutes on a whim in Persona 4 Golden, all the satisfaction was gone.

PS3 or PS4 guaranteed.

The perfect place is where graphics would still have to be downgraded? This is crazy.

3DS is stronger than the PSP and can do a simple game like Persona 3 better than the PS2, so...

It's Persona 3, not Shadow Of The Colossus, lol. The only problem would be the shit screen.

Because Persona is well-known for its top-notch graphics.,

Not that it will happen (or even much makes sense to happen), but Persona 3 is hardly DQVIII/VP2/FFXII in terms of top notch PS2 graphics.

Perhaps someone should have asked about the possibility of Persona 3DS at the Q&A for SMT4. At least then we would have had something to talk about in this thread.

Well, there's nothing stopping them from putting more strictures on skill inheritance.

*stabs ice pick through ear*

Well, there's nothing stopping them from putting more strictures on skill inheritance.

So far it looks like demons have a varying numbers of skill slots available (in the latest fusion videos, Azazel has like four slots while Suzaku has five, but the interface leaves room for at least eight skills), so it definitely appears that there are limitation in place to keep you from REPEL ALL MEGIDOLAON VICTORY CRY or whatever it is people like to put together.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's the worst kind of effort, though. It's literally grinding. The interesting part of complex demon fusion comes from having particularly rare skills and then having to map out the chain of inheritance that'll allow you to combine them on your target demon. If the demon family design is done well, that's still going to be interesting and challenging, it just won't take endless XOXOXO to produce a result that you already know is possible.

Also, I mean, I've seen people online take an hour XOing for various things, but in my experience it was usually more like a couple minutes for the combinations I was making. I made an all-element-null and an all-element-attack Persona in P4. Each one probably took twenty minutes total -- five to plan out inheritance, fifteen minutes doing XOXOXO on about six or seven different demons. I don't think it'd be less satisfying to spend seven minutes on each instead.

The other two major monster raising games still active, Pokémon and DQM, both do this far better though Pokémon still has a slight layer of variance when it comes to certain things though there are now methods to further control even those and more are added each generation.

Soriku

So far it looks like demons have a varying numbers of skill slots available (in the latest fusion videos, Azazel has like four slots while Suzaku has five, but the interface leaves room for at least eight skills), so it definitely appears that there are limitation in place to keep you from REPEL ALL MEGIDOLAON VICTORY CRY or whatever it is people like to put together.

Really? Hmm.

Well, by the time someone can actually make that skill set you listed there'll probably be high-end demons that can have 6-8 skills.

Sleepy

Perhaps someone should have asked about the possibility of Persona 3DS at the Q&A for SMT4. At least then we would have had something to talk about in this thread.

LOL I really didn't mean to derail the thread. I swear! And yes, I understand that they all fall under SMT.

Top Bottom