• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Busaiku

So what's the general consensus on length for the initial run?
Soul Hackers took me about 30 hours, I think, but I didn't do the Primate Lab.

cj_iwakura

I entered the contest. Fingers crossed!

original.jpg

cj_iwakura

Some of the competition is BRUTAL. Well, mostly in photography quality. I hope my Tokimeki Memorial can help me rise above.

Voror

So, does anyone who has imported have any recommendations for some good demons to go for early on? Or good directions for the Player Character?

Hugstable

Banned
I'm so hyped for this game! The 30$ credit surprise is amazing too. Love getting 30$ eshop credit just for buying two games I wanted anyway.

What path is everyone planning to take for their first playthrough. I might end up going Chaos or Neutral since that's what I went with in Strange Journey.

PusherT

So how exactly does the battle system work? I know the gameplay is very big on "critical hit" allowing exta turn. But can someone explain the demon Smirking system? Or the startergy involve in armor customaziton ? The game looks really fun story wise though

Gambit61

But you can't get it launch day!

lol I have the only preorder for this game at my local Gamestop. I ended up using the deal on something completely unrelated. Would have used it for Tales of Xillia but the other thing I wanted never drops below $50 :(

Drago

It seems the deal doesn't work for preorders.

Would it be worth the risk to order it on day 1 and potentially miss out on the first print goodies...?

I'm going to enter the contest I suppose. I doubt I'll win but like to try. Will post pics soon.

*edit* Added pics for contest, sorry for going off-topic a little. I have more RPGs than this (NES,Genesis,SNES,PS1,Saturn) but they're not on hand.

rpg.jpg

rpg1.jpg

rpg2.jpg

Good luck to everyone entering!

extralite

Anyone mind explaining how this game plays? And why i, as a Pokemon player, would like it? I see it as an everyday RPG..

You fight alongside demons you recruit. It could be compared to Pokemon or DQV, both of which were clearly inspired by SMT. SMT in turn adopted Pokemon's limited ability slot system in which you have to give up abilities in favor of new ones since SMT3.

Think of it as a more mature and dark contemporary fantasy version of the monster breeding RPG genre. But you can't just catch the enemies, you have to convince them to join you.

Actually it's really fucking useful.

Macca prices get ridiculous, and if you're in a place you didn't save recently at/bump into a boss you weren't expecting (happens a lot), being able to use coins is a quick and effective way to get back in the game.
True. I ended up using like 50 game coins over the course of the game. You don't get wiped out often later in the game but when it happens that feature is a godsend.

Perhaps. But people who have played and beaten the Japanese game should also try to be a little more considerate for the majority of people who have not had the opportunity to play the game yet.
I agree with this, to the extent that I usually completely avoid threads and coverage of games I'm not already playing, because I don't want to get spoiled myself.

But my original post really wasn't a spoiler, I just elaborated on the teaser (itself a minor spoiler) by Atlus from the OP. I probably shouldn't let myself be provoked into posting an actual spoiler, even when it was tagged.

Forkball

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| One of the posters in this thread is secretly Lucifer

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| Pokemon X/Y are now $10

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| Live out your ponytailed samurai fantasies

Jesus. I have a complete set of nearly every SMT game Super Famicom forward, as well as tons of SMT figures. I would enter the contest but I just packed up my game room in preparation of selling our place.

Since I have no experience with the series, I resorted to an anagram generator for possible OT titles using Shin Megami Tensei, which resulted in some interesting results:

Meanie Mightiness
Meanie Theism Sign
Meanies Ingest Him
Seamen Ignites Him
Geisha Mime Tennis
Imagine Them Sines
Aegis She Imminent

Top Bottom