• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I just chatted with Mido and he said that the conditions have been met to fuse
Fury Ares
at will, but I can't figure out how to actually do that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding him and he just means now if i have the ingredients I'm able to, but the way he phrased it kinda sounded like I could do it whenever I wanted.

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I just chatted with Mido and he said that the conditions have been met to fuse
Fury Ares
at will, but I can't figure out how to actually do that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding him and he just means now if i have the ingredients I'm able to, but the way he phrased it kinda sounded like I could do it whenever I wanted.

By beating that boss, you've given yourself the opportunity to fuse him if you have the demons to do so.

Fury Ares

I think Ares is a high-level Special Fusion, which means he was added to the Special Fusions list similar to some of the other sidequest sub-bosses. Once you have all the "ingredient" demons to make him - in the Compendium or in your party - his option will unlock on the Special Fusion list.

That is a nice feature, by the way - if you don't have a component demon for a Special Fusion in your party, but DID catch one in the past, the game will let you fuse them right out of the Compendium for a fee.

I think Ares is a high-level Special Fusion, which means he was added to the Special Fusions list similar to some of the other sidequest sub-bosses. Once you have all the "ingredient" demons to make him - in the Compendium or in your party - his option will unlock on the Special Fusion list.

That is a nice feature, by the way - if you don't have a component demon for a Special Fusion in your party, but DID catch one in the past, the game will let you fuse them right out of the Compendium for a fee.

That's what I was thinking. And wow I really need to dive deeper into the fusion system, I had no idea it would let you pull directly from the compendium for fusions, that's awesome. Fusions this time around are way more convenient, though a small part of me will always miss spamming confirm/cancel on fusions until I got the exact arrangement of skills I wanted.

But how and where do I apply the DLC I downloaded?

I am only just completing the first quest as a samurai. Sorry if I spoiled anything there.

Do I need to wait until a certain point?

Samyy

I am only just completing the first quest as a samurai. Sorry if I spoiled anything there.

You need to turn in life stones at K's tavern, 10 each I believe
Edit: nvm I guess! I didn't download them for a while so I didnt check earlier :X!

You will be able to access it once K's Tavern opens up.

As for difficulty on this game, I think it's harder than Nocturne so far. But the fact that you can save anywhere along with the new fusion system makes it a lot less stressful.

Speaking of DLC, has a release schedule of any kind been mentioned? I ended up using part of my 30 dollar credit on the DLC that's currently up pretty much solely for a new pallet-swapped demon because I'm a sucker. I'm just hoping more worth while stuff is coming down the pipeline.

I'm hoping it changes once the game opens up a bit more. I am not enjoying the boss fights thus far, since it really does feel like buff spells are useless and there are no demons with good resistances to give you a good defense against bosses. It's all just "do as much damage as you can as fast as you can or the boss will wipe you".

Buffs did wonders for me against (post-Naraku lvl. 5)
Medusa
. I had 3x Rakukaja, 2x Sukukaja, and 2x Tarukaja. She missed a few times, and even when she hit she didn't hurt me too bad. Then when it was my turn I pummeled her. I also had a demon that could drain electric damage, but as luck would have it she never used Zionga on him.

That said, if I hadn't had a few demons who could hit her weakness, I never would have had enough time to buff up my party.

Need help. Post Kasumigaseki:
where am I supposed to go after exploring the Counter Demon Force HQ? Burroughs said to go where a lot of humans hang out. I went to Tokyo station but the Gaea cult wount let me in. Shinjuku is a death trap at the moment although a great place to level up.

JCizzle

You could definitely switch demons out in Nocturne. Your party reserves were increased slowly as part of the plot (as opposed to being a skill you manually upgrade), but that was part of the main concept of the game - switching demons out to deal with anything the game threw at you.

If they just tweaked the enemies' damage output a bit, or made it so enemies can't smirk and then immediately use multi-hit attacks to crit your entire party three times, it might make things a little better. But battles are just woefully one-sided in SMTIV - either you wipe the floor with them right off the bat or they tear you to shreds. There are no long battles of attrition, and it's basically impossible to make a comeback once an enemy gets the advantage over you.

Yeah this is becoming a big turn off to me. Not Dark Souls type difficulty at all because it's totally cheap and not the good kind of difficulty where failures are your own fault. I'll give it a bit longer I guess, but it doesn't sound like things change.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yeah this is becoming a big turn off to me. Not Dark Souls type difficulty at all because it's totally cheap and not the good kind of difficulty where failures are your own fault. I'll give it a bit longer I guess, but it doesn't sound like things change.

It changes in the sense that you have more options for defending yourself as the game goes on. It's all about planning (and dying until you've learned).

JCizzle

It changes in the sense that you have re options for defending yourself as the game goes on. It's all about planning (and dying until you've learned).

My issue is there is nothing to learn when I get one shot without even a turn :p

Good to know I'll get more options later that hopefully prevent those situations.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
My issue is there is nothing to learn when I get one shot without even a turn :p

Good to know I'll get more options later that hopefully prevent those situations.

You could get insta-killed (or close to it) in Dark Souls without realizing WTF was going on.

Need help. Post Kasumigaseki:
where am I supposed to go after exploring the Counter Demon Force HQ? Burroughs said to go where a lot of humans hang out. I went to Tokyo station but the Gaea cult wount let me in. Shinjuku is a death trap at the moment although a great place to level up.

Shinjuku. If you go in further you should run into Hikaru and she'll mention some stuff that basically tells you where your next major location will be.

Jessicat

Doesn't happen to be a list of the Demons that do is there :$
So far that I've encountered:
-Kabuso to Senri (I needed to be lv 25 for this to happen, he was at lv23 I think, dunno if he levelled more than needed because of me ^^; )
-Jack Frost to ??? (I fused him before I could find out, got another one now so I'll find out eventually XD)
-Angel to ??? (I don't bother fusing demons with skills I have no use for, so never had this one XD)

Mupod

My archangel evolved to principality, and now the principality is about to evolve to...dunno what. I guess a Power, which would be awesome because he's still rocking my old archangel's physical moveset.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, 2-attack mobs are infinitely easier if you have someone who repels the element they use.

2nd foray into Naraku spoilers
Orthrus with his Fire Breath. Had my demon who looks like a leprechaun with a dollar sign on a gold chain repel it, wiping out his attacks and then wrecked him the next turn with Bufu Bufu Bufu

SteeloDMZ

Banned
After finishing Devil Survivor 2, Persona 3 on Hard, and Soul Hackers this year, I thought I was gonna be prepared for SMTIV. Got served a humble pie, lol.

A little over 15 hours in.

Atlus forgot to loop the audience noise at the Black Samurai's execution. There's a nice touch where you can pretty much hear part of an entire conversation going on for about 45 seconds, but after a minute it's dead silent.

Nexas

I just went into a domain and got destroyed by the boss there. I reload and analyze it: lvl 75. Seems like they are not afraid to put some insurmountable obstacles early on.

Goby

Banned
Yes, but not just that.
Once you get to Ueno and Burroughs tells you that the people have set up a town underground, and you go down in there and there really is a whole town. This is actually one thing that SMT3 missed. When you first get to Shibuya, you enter the town area and it's totally empty. Obviously that was necessary for the atmosphere (and story) that game was going for, but this is just so great. Also, I ran into a gaean person in a battle on the overworld and I squealed. I guess gaeans and mesians are back? So cool.

Oh yeah especially later one where they talk about
The 1000 year kingdom and the megido ark (I think Shaene ark or something here)

Anybody know if there is a way to get neutral points? I'm at the first branch and have a save before it just in case but if there isn't I'll just keep plowing through and get what I get.

I'm around 4 hours in now, I just
saved Navarre
. The boss was surprisingly easy, it felt like a regular encounter. I'm hoping to explore a new area soon, though, I'm pretty tired of the area I'm in. Anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far. Now that I've gotten used to the combat, it's pretty rewarding.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm around 4 hours in now, I just
saved Navarre
. The boss was surprisingly easy, it felt like a regular encounter. I'm hoping to explore a new area soon, though, I'm pretty tired of the area I'm in. Anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far. Now that I've gotten used to the combat, it's pretty rewarding.

That ain't no boss. haha

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Atlus forgot to loop the audience noise at the
Black Samurai's execution
. There's a nice touch where you can pretty much hear part of an entire conversation going on for about 45 seconds, but after a minute it's dead silent.
You did a terrible job of spoilering this, dude. How am I supposed to know if I hit this area or not. Especially with such big spoilers.

Volcynika

Hey if you think something is spoiling, dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon't quote it. :| It seems they fixed their post but it still exists in the quoted posts :/

pa22word

I think that's the problem - enemies being strong isn't a bad thing, it's how WEAK the player's party is. It's like you're made of paper. Early-game enemies in Nocturne may have had Hama and Mudo spells to throw around, but their sheer damage output wasn't that high outside of Matador's hit-all spells.

Meanwhile, in SMTIV, even the weakest enemies can somehow output near fatal damage without the slightest bit of effort, meaning if you don't get a pre-emptive attack and start hitting weaknesses in the FIRST press turn, you're going to get countered and lose at least one party member. There's really nothing you can do to defend against hit-all spells that do a minimum of 90 damage per hit and can hit up to six times per turn.

This^

The game feels like there's a a coin flip every time a battle starts that determines whether or not I'm going to die to something I could do nothing to prevent. What's worse is that even in the instances where you can theoretically prevent press turn taking a dump on you it's due to you knowing weaknesses before you start the battle. The game demands knowledge from you that you can not reasonably expect a player to know, and then kills you for not knowing it. It's fake difficulty through and through, and as a result the game just feels really poorly designed.

Nocturne was much better designed in this regard, for the most part. It gave you proper time to poke and prod at enemies to find their weakness because even if you got hit you had enough of a buffer that it didn't matter unless you let it get out of control. In this game it just feels like if you make that first guess on weaknesses wrong you might as well do a soft reset because you probably going are going to die.

Jessicat

I just went into a domain and got destroyed by the boss there. I reload and analyze it: lvl 75. Seems like they are not afraid to put some insurmountable obstacles early on.
Wait, I think I saw that guy earlier too, after I couldn't beat
Grendal in another domain, 3x buffs don't do much against insane phys attacks splatting my team, so I left and found another domain with that guy I think, looks like a tree? Did he maziodyne the hell out of your party? That's what happened to me, lol, I said f that, grabbed a new ally and left XD

This^

The game feels like there's a a coin flip every time a battle starts that determines whether or not I'm going to die to something I could do nothing to prevent. What's worse is that even in the instances where you can theoretically prevent press turn taking a dump on you it's due to you knowing weaknesses before you start the battle. The game demands knowledge from you that you can not reasonably expect a player to know, and then kills you for not knowing it. It's fake difficulty through and through, and as a result the game just feels really poorly designed.

One thing I think Atlus screwed up with majorly is that if you miss with a pre-emptive swing on the field map and an enemy runs face-first into you, they get the pre-emptive bonus almost every time. Enemies should only get first strike if they ambush you from BEHIND, not if you're clearly ready for them.

Top Bottom