• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - IGN Review

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/550/550199p1.html

9.0 Presentation
The menu system may lack personality and the lack of high-end options like pro scan may be a bummer, but the storyline and atmosphere is terrific; not to mention the super fast load times.

8.5 Graphics
Shin Megami Tensei doesn't offer a lot by way of animation, but the art direction and solid cel-shaded style more than make up for it. There are some truly cool looking designs in here.

8.0 Sound
One of the hardest soundtracks of the year powers an audio experience game without any voice acting at all. The sound effects are solid, though.

8.5 Gameplay
It's classic turn-based RPG combat through and through, but the numerous upgrade options, monster recruiting abilities, and alignment influences make it much more interesting.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
Lasting AppealThere are six different endings, three main ideologies to choose from, and several bonus dungeons, characters, and goodies to uncover. Not bad by RPG standards at all.

8.6 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

epmode

sonycowboy said:
One of the hardest soundtracks of the year
quoi?

edit: i rtfa, so i know what he meant, now. still, after playing persona 2 (and loving the soundtrack,) i didn't expect much guitar-centric music in this one.

Alex

I'll read the review later, but I really wish IGN PS2 would get someone else to go over RPG's.

No real offense intended, but some of his past lavishings of highly flawed games makes it really difficult to take this seriously.

Sorry dude, but other than Hilary (who's an Xbox editor) -- I'm pretty much the only guy at the office who really likes to review RPGs. I'll admit that I'm an optimist when it comes to the genre, but we all have our preferences -- know what I mean?

But hey, I'm sure there will be other reviews of it soon if my article isn't your cup of tea.

WarPig

Makaze-IGN said:
Sorry dude, but other than Hilary (who's an Xbox editor) -- I'm pretty much the only guy at the office who really likes to review RPGs.

See, I knew you'd regret canning me someday ^_^

Or not.

DFS.

Culex

Banned
Makaze-IGN said:
Sorry dude, but other than Hilary (who's an Xbox editor) -- I'm pretty much the only guy at the office who really likes to review RPGs. I'll admit that I'm an optimist when it comes to the genre, but we all have our preferences -- know what I mean?

But hey, I'm sure there will be other reviews of it soon if my article isn't your cup of tea.

Must explain the lower than GS review of Tales.

Alex

It's not a big deal, I'm pretty much a jaded elitest as far as the genre goes. But it's hard to read through a review for a game like Nocturne when you gave a 9.7 to gameplay for FFX-2. :p

epmode

it's been said a thousand times before, but console-specific reviewing strategies have to go.

edit: this is more of a general complaint, not about this review in particular.

Pachinko

See the problem with bitching that IGN's methods don't work are hardly backed up by there ad revenue and unique hits each month. I don't like the site too much myself , even when I paid for it and turned ads off it was still a confusing cluttered mess of a website , just too many little seperate sections and far to much critical bias. I think they need to look into a complete redesign from the ground up when they do an ultimate merge to become IGNgamespy.com , I mean it's an eventuality.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
BuddyChrist83 said:
I want it....but I don't :(

So tired of the standard turn based battle system.

Shit, point me to all the turn based RPGs cause I haven't played one in quite some fuckin' time.

BuddyC

RevenantKioku said:
Shit, point me to all the turn based RPGs cause I haven't played one in quite some fuckin' time.
:p

Surreal is really more like it. A bit of a cross between Wicked City, Akira, and a William Burroughs novel, this strange collection of dream sequences, mind-bending theological discussions, and occasional dark humor are more Silent Hill than Final Fantasy. Unique to just about every other RPG out there, almost the entire game is made up of characters that are as far away from human as you can get. But in a nice variation on the typical Knights of the Old Republic morality play, your replies to various NPC conversations don't dictate the outcome as much as your general philosophy does. Just as it is in life, there is no simple black and white -- just a million shades of gray.
That just makes it harder.

Alex

Yeah, years ago I'd have complained as well, if it was that generic that is. But a meaty, fast paced TB system sounds nice about now. Espically with the ass-kicking level of difficulty you're susposed to be able to crank Nocturne to, and all of the elemental/turn stealing tweaks

Nocturne is very much the most psyched I've been for an RPG, since well, a long time. Dragon Quarter, Dark Cloud 2 and Grandia X are my current three fav PS2 RPG's, time for something to get knocked off, I'd assume.

That's a turn around. Last I read, you had this on your "buy later" list after some other titles heh.

In any case, this is my most wanted game of the year and no IGN score could possibly change that. In reading this, it became clear to me that this game is doing exactly what I wanted and hoped it would, despite what the reviewer's final conclusion is. Obviously a 8.6 is a great score. I'm not one of those "9.0+ or else!!" dickheads.

I have honestly never read IGN for RPG reviews and I doubt anyone who was seriously into them would. This isn't meant to be offensive, I just think that's how it is. The guys there generally don't seem to have a large love of the genre and, really, I can't expect them to invest the time into a good RPG that many of these games deserve. They obviously have a lot to cover and it's not feasible.

It honestly kind of bothers me when a review of a game that really has no stand-out, unique qualities gets a 9.5 and something like SMT gets a 8.6, but what can you do? Citing something like "turn based battles" is rather useless as the game makes good use of them and is well paced based on everything else I read. It's not as if this game hasn't tried something new with the battles... the press system sounds quite interesting.

I'm rather tired of games being judged upon what someone feels they should include rather than what they actually do include. That's not to say ignore the flaws, but, in my mind, turn based battles are not completely antiquated or problematic if utilized well. A game not making use of real time battles just because you prefer them is no reason to knock down a score. I'd like to think people would at least try to be objective and realize while they might not love turn based systems, it doesn't mean they're poorly done. I'm not saying that this review is saying these things to that extent, but I get the impression that it was an issue for the reviewer... and I forsee a lot of other places bringing it up.

Between SMT's auto mode, the general speed of the battles, the press button system and the demon recruiting, I'd say it's doing plenty of interest over most other battle systems as it is. In fact, I'm personally getting tired of every other company attempting to inject real time button nonsense into every RPG. Most of these systems aren't even done well as it is and the possibility of real time battles are not part of why anyone who plays the SMT series plays it to begin with. I don't feel it fits them.

People are willing to go bat-shit insane over being able to remove characters from battles in FFX on the fly (wow, welcome to DQV territory)... but then something like this comes along that is obviously much deeper in almost every respect in terms of battles alone and it's apparently a flaw or point to nitpick (and I realize I'm nitpicking too heh). It's strange reading a review citing things that are interesting or well done and then coming to a lower score than games that have reviews full of mostly complaints and magically get a better one. I doubt they're even by the same reviewer, so I'm not faulting him, it just makes me think less of the site as a whole. I don't quite understand it, but everyone has their opinion, I guess.

I have a feeling this is going to be another one of those games where the reviewer will say he wish he scored it higher in the future. Much like the guy who reviewed Valkyrie Profile for IGN. These sorts of games may not win you over as quickly, but they stand. Who knows, I'm just saying lol.

The only review I really am interested in for this game is from Ferricide, as I'd like to see his collected thoughts on the game. Someone who very obviously has given this title the time it should receive for a proper review. If he also winds up at the same score, that's fine by me, but I would personally put more stock in what he has to say about it.

In any case, I think it's a good score and I hope it encourages people that might have not paid attention otherwise.

---------------------------

Edit - The only thing I have a hard time getting around is this (I don't have any problems with the rest of the review, opinion is opinion and everyone is entitled):

8.0 Lasting Appeal
There are six different endings, three main ideologies to choose from, and several bonus dungeons, characters, and goodies to uncover. Not bad by RPG standards at all.

Not bad by RPG standards...? This is more than most console RPGs even attempt to offer. I really feel it got the shaft in that category, especially considering the decisions made along the course of the game that affect the progression it takes.

I really feel that more time could have been spent with this game. It doesn't even ship till October 5th now. Was a review this early necessary? Now when it does come out, IGN's review will be old news and no one who frequents that site will notice that it's in shops a full two weeks later. Other than the lame concept of having the "first review", I think this was a poor choice for many reasons.

It doesn't look good in my eyes, particularly because the updates on this game on IGNPS2 have been absolutely awful. I can't forget the "We forgot about it at E3 entirely, so here's a video Atlus begged us to put up!!" article. I just don't feel they've even tried to give this game anywhere near the coverage that it really should have gotten. If I'm coming off as an idiotic fanboy by that comment, then so be it.

And with that, I'm done. It's late, so excuse the rambling and anything right out dumb I might have said lol.

BenT

Didn't read the review (I'm illiterate), but the score is definitely fair based on my 20+ hours of post-apocalyptic wanderings.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
epmode said:
quoi?

edit: i rtfa, so i know what he meant, now. still, after playing persona 2 (and loving the soundtrack,) i didn't expect much guitar-centric music in this one.

Yeah, I was wondering what they meant by this, too... hard = J-buttrock?? I've heard Persona 2:Innocent Sin (or Eternal Punishment, whatever the one that came out in the US was called) had a very housey soundtrack?

I'll probably be getting this game in late October, when things start to slow down a bit, game wise... to tell you the truth, I'm kind of in the mood for a traditional oldskool RPG battle system, too... =P Though I'm probably the only one on this planet who doesn't care much for the game's art.

Just thought I would pipe in and comment on the Doublejump Nocturne strategy guide.

+Content wise, it's massive. Imagine a softcover version of WD's Lunar guides, but with a hell of a lot more info packed into each page.

+It tries to explain everything. The beginning of the book goes so far as to explain changes between the JPN/USA game release, while the end has the forum questions interview, the history of SMT, and full page character profiles. I haven't found any of that stupid "????" shit that other publishers try to pull.

+Two full artwork tear-off bookmarks inside the front cover.

+So much instructional info that the walkthrough doesn't begin 'til page 95. (387 pgs total)

-I know this is more of the japanese standard size, but this is one of those guides you will have trouble keeping open without both hands. The book itself is literally the size of 1.5 DVDs, stacked (or the exact same size as the IGN/Gamespy E3 DVD set). Because of the density, it's basically impossible to completely open a page without breaking the spine.

(To be honest, I'd love more guides to be this form factor, but only if they pack the same amount of info and keep the small typeface. A small book is useless if it's filled with Prima 18pt arial.)

-The art foldout in the middle is nice but really could have just been shrunk down and placed in the (already large) artwork section.

-Although fairly packaged, it still came out of the envelope looking fairly roughed up - sort of like if it was at the front of an EB display. (Okay, that's me being picky)

Overall: (Capcom Groove) S rank. I haven't seen a guide outside of Japan with this sort of depth. Easily worth the $20 if you're buying the game or if you just have some interest in how complex RPGs work. It also overrides any reason for me to ever check Gamefaqs on this game instead.

epmode

i really want that guide. stupid question, but where's the best place to order it from? i don't trust my local eb.

Top Bottom