• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne |OT| GO GET THE BUFFS!

Soma

Oh hey I beat this recently.

Tied with Persona 3 as my favorite SMT game. The atmosphere of this game is out of this world.

Hope newcomers find enjoyment out of this.

fertygo

Any suggestion to make physical build for demi-fiend? The early game is really hard to go through without magic stat :(

Not to be a braggart, but I beat him on my third try or so without really breaking a sweat.
Considering his reputation, it sorta bummed me out to the point that I stopped playing shortly after... Is he really considered the peak in difficulty?

Kind of ashamed never to have finished a mainline SMT, I really love everything about them.
And I beat him on my first try, first playthrough :p But no. In normal, all the bosses are okay. Pretty sure the only time I died was via Instant death spells on random encounters because I didn't nullify it on my character.

But anyway, nice, I'll definitely pick this up after finals. Ready to replay this awesome game.

Soriku

If you thought Matador was bad, wait till you see the true final boss:

maxresdefault.jpg

Beating this crap minigame (along with getting the rest of the magatama) is the only way to get access to the Masakado magatama and an extra optional dungeon.

Jisgsaw

The peak is Trumpeter. But were you really playing the game for its difficulty alone?

For me it was
Beelzebub
. But I wasn't prepared at all.
TDE boss without a certain skill must be a tough, or at least very long, fight.

Dr. Buni

Any suggestion to make physical build for demi-fiend? The early game is really hard to go through without magic stat :(
It is not really that hard. Just pick/fuse demons with good magic stats. I actually find playing with magic build Hitoshura a bit harder.

alichino

maxresdefault.jpg

Beating this crap minigame is the only way to get access to the Masakado magatama and an extra optional dungeon.

Wow, I completely forgot about that mini game. I think I blocked it out of my memory on purpose because it was the only thing i didn't like about the game.

Jisgsaw

Try to get some healing/buff skills. You have a mana pool that goes to waste else.
And rely on demons early game, till you get focus and some decent physical skills.

Guys I am thinking of picking Hard Mode when I dl this game later, what do you think? I beat it on hard mode long ago but its been so long that I forgot what Hard Mode changes.

Beating this crap minigame (along with getting the rest of the magatama) is the only way to get access to the Masakado magatama and an extra optional dungeon.
Wow, I completely forgot about that mini game. I think I blocked it out of my memory on purpose because it was the only thing i didn't like about the game.

The song that plays here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckRhKXfWxo

enacts a similar OH SHIT GOD NO PLS NO NO NO NOT THIS reaction to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvZWxiUfrNo

wait, I thought it was easier to go with a physical built demi-fiend? I remember doing physical and buffs but then going all physical attacks near the end.

Jisgsaw

wait, I thought it was easier to go with a physical built demi-fiend? I remember doing physical and buffs but then going all physical attacks near the end.

That's the best way IMHO.
But most build are doable, so long as you compensate with demons. Raw damage of physical MC end game is unmatched though.

alichino

Guys I am thinking of picking Hard Mode when I dl this game later, what do you think? I beat it on hard mode long ago but its been so long that I forgot what Hard Mode changes.

Totally worth playing on hard mode because
it's the only way to get the true demon ending!

Edit: Actually, just kidding. I think you can get the
true demon ending
regardless as long as you complete the
Labyrinth of Amala and make the relevant dialogue choices.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Fuck that, I use a guide for that mini-game. Worst mini-game ever.

hoggert

That was honestly one of my favourite parts of the game. I've played through SMT3 around four times over the years (not counting New Game +) and enjoyed it every time. But, then again, at least according to the internet I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed Bliztball so disregard my opinion, please.

Volcynika

Atlus sent out a promo email about Nocturne and even included this at the bottom:

"Is that it? Are there more PS2 classics to come? It's getting hot in here with all these SMT releases."

Bring us more!

Dr. Buni

Fuck that, I use a guide for that mini-game. Worst mini-game ever.
Nah dude, Blitzball manages to be worse than that mini-game.
Atlus sent out a promo email about Nocturne and even included this at the bottom:

"Is that it? Are there more PS2 classics to come? It's getting hot in here with all these SMT releases."

Bring us more!
Nice!

Which SMT games aren't on PSN yet? I thought the first Raidou game wasn't, but apparently it is, so...

Jisgsaw

That was honestly one of my favourite parts of the game. I've played through SMT3 around four times over the years (not counting New Game +) and enjoyed it every time. But, then again, at least according to the internet I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed Bliztball

Nah dude, Blitzball manages to be worse than that mini-game.

:lol

(if it's any consolation, I rather enjoyed the Nocturne puzzles. Blitzball gets really boring after a few games though)

If you've played a SMT game before you'll realize in the build up to Matador that they're giving you all the tools to beat him, you just need to avoid the temptation to not keep those seemingly useless demons in your party before the surprise fight.

For newcomers to the series I can see him giving people nightmares as an early boss.

Welcome to OT making! Enjoy making the DDS ones too! :D
(You did just fine.)

Ha ha! I appreciate that, man. I think I'll make my next OT before a game is out, so that I have more time to avoid those sorts of mistakes. But hey, as long as you guys have fun, then that's all that matters!

Requeim

There's probably no way ghostlight will bother getting the EU version onto psn, so i will have to find some way of buying this from the US store.

Raidou 2 next please, Atlus

Jisgsaw

There's probably no way ghostlight will bother getting the EU version onto psn, so i will have to find some way of buying this from the US store.

Raidou 2 next please, Atlus

Why?
I seem to remember them saying several time they wanted to do it, but couldn't because of compatibility issues with the emulator.
Now that that's fixed...

Requeim

Why?
I seem to remember them saying several time they wanted to do it, but couldn't because of compatibility issues with the emulator.
Now that that's fixed...

Ghostlight says a lot of things

Now getting them done on the other hand.... I'm not holding my breath. Even if they do manage it, we'll probably be waiting for a very long time

Finalow

yup, that was truly an awful minigame.

Aeana

It's been a couple of years since I went through this.
I don't expect there's an easy way to transfer actual PS2 saves to PS3 and make them work? Sigh. I prefer to use first-person mode for this game, but it's only available on new game+.

TEJ

I got to the part where
the world ends
and....it froze on me.

You'd think that Atlus would playtest their most important title before releasing it on psn :/ I know Persona 3 FES psn had similar problems but those happened well into the game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Well I assumed at worst, it was possible with CFW.

Ah, okay. Don't have cfw on PS3, so maybe, maybe there is. But since these PS2 Classics don't use the same format as the old PS2 memory card files they used for backward compatibility, I wouldn't be sure. (see post #153)

sense

i am interested in this and i have a couple of questions. is the gameplay similar to persona series? turn based startegy? how do the graphics hold up? is it similar to persona fes or worse?

Top Bottom