• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin'en Interview on WiiU Hardware: GPU "several generations ahead of Current Gen"

Tenki

Shin'en, who have worked with Wii U: "what do they know? lol"

Other developers who haven't touched the console: "they are right, they sure know and have done all they can"

Kimawolf

On that front:

Shin'en are tech gurus who could likely code circles around a lot of big name devs. Many people in here are revealing their ignorance.

It's more than ignorance, it's people believing whatever fits their narrative and reality they wish to be true. It is partly Nintendo's fault for not having something out to really push the system, but it's also people lacking any kind of reading comprehension or reading thread titles and not bothering to read the actual article before making their un-witty comments. Or perhaps even doing research on said people to know a small 5 man team like they have are very experienced and truly know their stuff. But again, because of what they said it will be laughed at because it doesn't fit a certain narrative.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So far I've just seen bits of certain effects here and there that look a lot better than PS360.

Overall graphics, so far no.
Hopefully someone can make a showcase game but I don't care that much.

SmokyDave

Shin'en are fucking awesome, but I can't help but feel they're overselling things somewhat. It's obvious that the Wii-U is no powerhouse in comparison to the consoles it's going to go up against. Hell, it's struggling to top the last gen stuff and often falls behind.

It's very definitely the successor to the Wii in power terms.

If Shin'en tells me the Wii U is more powerful than most people give it credit for, but some EA/Frosbite Engine guy tells me it's not...

I'll believe the Shin'en guy.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's more than ignorance, it's people believing whatever fits their narrative and reality they wish to be true. It is partly Nintendo's fault for not having something out to really push the system, but it's also people lacking any kind of reading comprehension or reading thread titles and not bothering to read the actual article before making their un-witty comments. Or perhaps even doing research on said people to know a small 5 man team like they have are very experienced and truly know their stuff. But again, because of what they said it will be laughed at because it doesn't fit a certain narrative.

This is the best post in the thread.

Soi-Fong

Still majority of GAF has the illusion that the Wii U GPGPU or CPU are weak. This guys code to the metal with there games on the Wii or Wii U. Middle ware engines are not tailored for exotic architecture that is the Wii U. Industry is working on middle ware engines that's why Wii U power is not visible at the moment.

Also according to this guys the middle ware engines need to be tailored for the Wii U that means more money on developing time that third parties are not willing at the moment to invest.

Wii U IS powerfull not Ps4 or Xbone level but close.

Can I have some of what you're smoking because I haven't seen anything remotely close to Infamous or Killzone on the WiiU.

The Boat

GPU generations != console generations. It's a shame that most people just prefer to shoot their mouths without even thinking for a second, because "LOL" posts just make you seem so cool.

Could some real hardware expert tell me how many generations are this graphics ahead of current gen posibilities? I really can't count them just by looking at their latest WiiU game.

- GPU gen
- You picked the beginning of the bonus level
- They said they didn't push the Wii U

Zero148

And here's another shin'en interview where they try to defend their only/main source of money...

Who knows why they are the only one who talks about good thing about the wii u hardware huh?

Criterion did also. Surprisinglyt their NFS port is actually not only performing better than the PS360 versions, but also has superior visuals.

Maybe most developers (every EA employeer outside of criterion) just don't understand or don't want to understand the hardware?

GPU generations go by fairly quick and the PS3 and 360 are 7 and 8 years old. Just speaking chronologically that shouldn't be a controversial statement at all. With that said, I can't wait to see their next game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
People not seeing any difference between GPU generations and console generation, proven. This thread is delivering.

The Wii U GPU has a later shader model, has dedicated compute functionality, and the newest pre-DX11 tesselator vs the PS3 and 360 GPUs. None of Shin-en's statements are controversial.

AmFreak

The "“The Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of the current gen." is true, cause they are obviously talking about gpu generations.
By saying this they also prevent the need to say anything (real) about the power of the gpu.

Everything else they said is just ..... obvious.

The_Lump

Banned
So developers must adapt to the system's custom specifications to get a decent performance?

It's cool that the console it's not as bad (graphically) as thought but from a dev perspective, what is the incentive to spend money on a dedicated Wii U team who can learn the custom architecture when the game is going to sell 10 or 20 thousand copies?

In this case, Sony did a brilliant choice ditching the japanese obsession to customize everything to THEIR needs.

This is an important point. Nintendo took a risk by going down this route and it hasn't paid off yet as its evidently put off quite screw third parties. They only way up is for sales to increase enough to tempt them back.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm surprised they're still 3rd party developers when they've only developed for Nintendo consoles ever since. Might as well be bought by Nintendo.

receipts.gif

Cosmozone

Oh, GPU generations? That wasn't very clear from the interview but makes much more sense. Still, this is the perfect flamebait as proven by this thread.

gemoran4

I think people are misunderstanding the definition of 'generation' in this context. Hell it could have 2008 GPU architecture and be considered multiple generations ahead of the 360 and ps3 gpus.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Maybe most developers (every EA employeer outside of criterion) just don't understand or don't want to understand the hardware?
Neither, they just don't care. Very few are going to try and push the system.

Amen. The change of generation creeping stupid is getting to be a bit much. GAF is not as pleasant a place these days.

Marche90

I don't believe that they meant "several generations" with Console Generation in mind. At least, that's what I get from reading that interview.

Also, it should be pretty obvious that once the tools and engines are optimized for it, it will get better performance.

Fake Edit: Beaten in that regard.

GPU generations go by fairly quick and the PS3 and 360 are 7 and 8 years old. Just speaking chronologically that shouldn't be a controversial statement at all. With that said, I can't wait to see their next game.

And still people are struggling with it.

I'm surprised they're still 3rd party developers when they've only developed for Nintendo consoles ever since. Might as well be bought by Nintendo.

Maybe they could finally get some decent art.

tipoo

Banned
I guess this invalidates that VGleaks report that the eDRAM was not programmable and was automatically managed.

Raist

Banned
They made this:

large.jpg

That game (Jet Rocket) is only (!) 40 MB in size! I think they know what they are talking about.

I'm not quite sure that using a screen for a Wii game that doesn't look any better than your average PS2 game is gonna help, no matter how big the file is, because that's completely irrelevant to their statement that the WiiU's GPU is a lot more advanced than current gen's.
So unless they put out something that looks much more advanced, they'd better not make statements about GPU capabilities. Even if their game fits on an N64 cartridge.

Teknoman

Shin'en does amazing technological achievements with what they are given and what looks like small file sizes. I think i'm gonna listen to them.

I'm not quite sure that using a screen for a Wii game that doesn't look any better than your average PS2 game is gonna help, no matter how big the file is, because that's completely irrelevant to their statement that the WiiU's GPU is a lot more advanced than current gen's.
So unless they put out something that looks much more advanced, they'd better not make statements about GPU capabilities. Even if their game fits on an N64 cartridge.

You should see the game and its effects in action.

Heyt

Banned
- GPU gen

Better hardware doen't show better results? So upgrading a PC is kind of pointless right? oh...

- You picked the beginning of the bonus level

I chose like the second screen that showed up in my google search because gaf yould asterisk out the URL of the first one. If you think the pic is not representative of the game, post one of your choice.

- They said they didn't push the Wii U

But they are tech wizards! How can this be?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
With Cerny coming out at the PS4 unveil and detailing how the PS3 was a mistake due to its exotic nature and the Sony of then suggesting devs get themselves up for the challenge, hearing about this sorta stuff in 2013 is why I consider Nintendo to be 6-7 years behind where their competitors are with regard to tech.

Other devs don't have the luxury of Shin'en in reinventing the wheel exclusively for just one console really. Its also pretty hard to put too much stock into what Shin'en says when nothing they produce is going to on the same scale as something like a God of War, Uncharted, Halo, Crysis or something like The Witcher 2.

gngf123

And here's another shin'en interview where they try to defend their only/main source of money...

Who knows why they are the only one who talks about good thing about the wii u hardware huh?

To be fair, they are far from the only ones who have had positive things to say about the hardware. Frozenbyte, Two Tribes B.V, some indie developers, and even Crytek have all been fairly positive.

Of course, those who are positive all have vested interests, but so do a number of the developers who are most negative.

Im sorry but average ps2 games dont look like that man

hmmm?
Are you sure about that?

Top Bottom