• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Hashimoto talks possibilites for FFXVI and X-3 (+ comments on other projects)

HeelPower

Please,PLEASE don't announce anything now.

There's more than enough lined up for release.No body wants 5+ years of anticipation.

Einhander

What I gather from those comments is that once Final Fantasy VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts III are complete and out the door, development will begin on Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy X-3, if they haven't already been in the conceptual stage.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
X-3 makes me gag. FFX is my fifth favorite video game but I abhor its sequel and the radio drama is next-level appalling.

That said, I can just pretend it doesn't exist, as I have done with X-2. :p Doesn't matter much except I wish they'd not dedicate resources to if. Ah well.

Please...no Nomura on FF16....all post FF6 games that i feel were the better ones were without his belts and zippers on them.

Get the Guch/Amano/Uematsu dream team

Not much news here. I always enjoy hearing from Hashimoto though.

While I believe they may not be actively coding anything on XVI, it's hard for me to believe that they're not doing some kind of conceptualization work, even if still just basically brainstorming.

It's too late.

Nomura and the fans have turned VIIR into the new VersusXIII with the way they've been speaking about it.

I want to believe this IS NOT true, that VXIIIs history was more product of circumstance than managerial incompetence. But if we don't see something big on VIIR by next year, when there's really no major competing project/engine problem to explain it, I'll begin to wonder....

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I thought thats what X-3 was going to be....is it sonething else?

Considering Hashimoto is behaving as though there are people on this planet who enjoyed the absurdist post-game audio drama in the remaster, I'm thinking their idea is to continue from there.

Which is awful beyond measure.

jiggle

I see what you did there......or was it not intentional......

Didn't someone in this forum somewhat confirmed its in conception phase or in the works? I forgot who....or was it Verendus...?
Iirc
He said he saw 3 FFs
Xv, viir, and xvi(which he mistook for x3)

Does that mean xvi is going back to Asian theme?

What would the plot even be for X-3? They should focus on other projects IMO. Although it would be cool to play as Braska, Jecht and Auron prequel style.

Not much news here. I always enjoy hearing from Hashimoto though.

While I believe they may not be actively coding anything on XVI, it's hard for me to believe that they're not doing some kind of conceptualization work, even if still just basically brainstorming.

We'll be lucky to get a full fledged mainline Final Fantasy on PS5.

FFVIIR's episodes will be the stand ins. For two gens.

I want to believe this IS NOT true, that VXIIIs history was more product of circumstance than managerial incompetence. But if we don't see something big on VIIR by next year, when there's really no major competing project/engine problem to explain it, I'll begin to wonder....

Well it practically is.

But we have FF15(and its sequels) to look forward to,so its not gonna be a wasteland.

You're right it won't.

It'll be worse.
Despite whatever quality the Episodes will have in the end, before that It'll be years of small sparse teases and vague not so vague quotes from Hashimoto, Kitase and Nomura whenever he comes out for air. Such as this actual quote:

Nomura: Like with the 15th anniversary of [KH], I'm thinking I'd like to plan something or other.

And despite that, "warnings" from the teasers about changes, and history gleefully repeating itself, but with a different coat of paint.

We've already started doing, as stated, turning it into the next VersusXIII.

But worse. Worse! This is Final Fantasy VII we are talking about here. The reason JRPGs exist right?
Not only will we have a hype crew. You know from the reasonable excitement folks to gaffers that have their own cult. Enough to make you wish they drink the punch already.

We'll also have the haters. People that have been cross breed with the FFVII purists and those that have the "Final Fantasy Disease".

Just look at the XV threads. Haha

10 years of VIIRemake hype, debates, insults, bannings, worship,misery, anger and more!
And then eventually maybe, possibly the release of Episode 1 at the end of the Pros cycle.

Thank you SQUARE ENIX.

I love you.

JunkoEve

Iirc
He said he saw 3 FFs
Xv, viir, and xvi(which he mistook for x3)

Does that mean xvi is going back to Asian theme?

Well, if what Verendus said was true, then Hashimoto was definitely lying/trolling since he said neither (FFXVI or FFX-3) were in the works, but in actuality is.

I think FFXVI could use a samurai-esque background as story. I have a feeling its going to be action again. I honestly don't care as long as Nomura designs the characters. I don't think Nomura has ever designed a Samurai-esque character before (like the warlords and such). Would be interesting, since belts will be out of the picture, unless obi is considered a belt.

jiggle

Well, if what Verendus said was true, then Hashimoto was definitely lying/trolling since he said neither (FFXVI or FFX-3) were in the works, but in actuality is.

I think FFXVI could use a samurai-esque background as story. I have a feeling its going to be action again. I honestly don't care as long as Nomura designs the characters. I don't think Nomura has ever designed a Samurai-esque character before (like the warlords and such). Would be interesting, since belts will be out of the picture, unless obi is considered a belt.

It could be just concept arts for all we know

The guy that leaked a lot of ffxv info said xvi not in production also

JunkoEve

It could be just concept arts for all we know

The guy that leaked a lot of ffxv info said xvi not in production also

I tend to believe what that leaker said, based on CVs from the Business Divisions at SE, it's pretty clear nobody is sitting around doing FFXVI, which requires a huge team.

On the other hand, Toriyama might be doing X-3 with a small number of team members. But concept arts go a long way to the finish line.......I hate playing the waiting game.....

killatopak

I'm honestly not surprised if they haven't made anything or planned for anything new.

Between XV having possible expansions, 3 part FFVII and KH 3, there's just not enough people to work or budget to spend on.

OrionX

What would the plot even be for X-3? They should focus on other projects IMO. Although it would be cool to play as Braska, Jecht and Auron prequel style.

If the audio drama's anything to go by... (haven't listened to it, but I've read enough)

*Sin returns somehow* -_-

Yuna: "Tidus, I'm breaking up with you, cuz reasons." -_-

*Yuna runs off to fight Sin again, Tidus follows separately*

As someone who loves X, and thinks X-2 is alright, the idea of X-3 frightens me. I love that world, but it's probably best left alone. Sounds like they plan on doing something with it eventually though, so I guess we'll see.

If the audio drama's anything to go by... (haven't listened to it, but I've read enough)

*Sin returns somehow* -_-

Yuna: "Tidus, I'm breaking up with you, cuz reasons." -_-

*Yuna runs off to fight Sin again, Tidus follows separately*

As someone who loves X, and thinks X-2 is alright, the idea of X-3 frightens me. I love that world, but it's probably best left alone. Sounds like they plan on doing something with it eventually though, so I guess we'll see.

It sounds like one of the ultimate "for the sake of sakes" type of plot. I think more so than Advent Children
(Sephiroth's back because.... SHUT UP, people think he's KEWL and he's the star everything FFVII should revolve around)
. Let's return to the status quo by
making Sin return.... somehow, and breaking up Yuna and Tidus so they could fall in love all over again.

Teknoman

I'd love a remake for 6 and 8 as well, but I know I would rather have SE spend time and resources into developing a new game instead.

It kind of sucks knowing that FF16 is probably only in its conceptual stages atm. That means I'm going to be 30+ before I get to experience a new mainline FF (after playing XV of course).

lol happened to some of us waiting for XV.

OrionX

It sounds like one of the ultimate "for the sake of sakes" type of plot. I think more so than Advent Children
(Sephiroth's back because.... SHUT UP, people think he's KEWL and he's the star everything FFVII should revolve around)
. Let's return to the status quo by
making Sin return.... somehow, and breaking up Yuna and Tidus so they could fall in love all over again.

Exactly, it just feels like forced drama. X's ending felt complete. X-2 wasn't necessary, but it wrapped things up fine as well.

"But what if we wanna do another one?"

"I know! Let's unravel everything all over again and watch the fireworks!" lol

Sakujou

Banned
please let ff16 be something again more similar to ff9.

ff15 looks to me a bit like ff7 but only with guys.

i stopped caring about ff since they started their whole mobile-section, but if ff16 will be released maybe in lets say 2 years, i would be glad.

They said Nomura was too busy, does that mean that he'd be the one directing X-3? Kitase doesn't seem to want to step back into the director role, but I always thought Toriyama would be handling X-3.

NateDog

I'm surprised he's directly suggested an X-3 may happen, but I guess I'm not in the loop with the demand for such a title.

Probably should add the other 2 points to OP:

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue

There won’t be a Kingdom Hearts HD 2.9. As for the completely new Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage, while it depends on how you play, it’s not something that you’ll be able to finish quickly.

Final Fantasy XIII

We released three titles across the Final Fantasy XIII series, and I think we were able to produce sufficient results. If everyone had higher expectations, we would have considered various ways to sell it. Since Lightning is immensely popular even now, we have to think about how we can bring her up in the future.

Top Bottom