• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shit just got unlikely: Martin Lawrence says Bad Boys 3 probably won't happen

inm8num2

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/881907-martin-lawrence-says-bad-boys-iii-probably-wont-happen

Back in March, writer/director Joe Carnahan departed from Sony Pictures’ Bad Boys for Life after the project being in development for some time. Now star Martin Lawrence has spoken to Entertainment Weekly with a pretty grim prognostication about the fate of Bad Boys III.

“I don’t think we’re going to get one, not the way everything’s turning out,” Lawrence said. “Will is off doing another movie, and I don’t think it’s going to happen. I’m there, I’m ready right now. If they wanted to do it, I’m ready, but I don’t have control of that. That’s the studio’s decision.”

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Like many long after the fact sequels/series continuations this had a decent chance of not living up to expectations.

theWB27

I'd love another one, but honestly 1 and 2 are classic enough and great for rewatches. Damn Martin's schedule is WIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDEEEE open.

There's no way they were going to top 2 unless they detonated a nuke in the Everglades or something.

You better give me a Big Momma's house 3 then!

220px-Big_Mommas_Poster.jpg

SpecX

Sucks it's not happening, but it probably wouldn't have been up to peoples expectations anyways. I really do miss seeing Martin in movies and TV though and hope he can land something soon.

blakep267

Given how Will Smith's career has gone lately, I would have thought he'd be more open to it.
I mean clearly you don't know what your talking about because his career has actually had a bit of a resurgence. SS may have sucked but still made a ton, then Netflix movie Bright, and now Aladdin. He doesn't need to do bad boys

studyguy

Shitty, just need two retired cops coming back out one last time. For one last ride. This time it's personal, etc etc etc

Tylercrat

Banned
Do you ever notice that Will Smith doesn't talk like he used to anymore. He used to sound like he was from Philly. Now he sounds like he's from the uppercrust of LA.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I mean clearly you don't know what your talking about because his career has actually had a bit of a resurgence. SS may have sucked but still made a ton, then Netflix movie Bright, and now Aladdin. He doesn't need to do bad boys

What I mean is, following After Earth, the quality of Smith's projects seems to have taken a major dip in the last few years, which I think has led to people coming to view him as less of a hot commodity than what he was. Winter's Tale, Focus, Concussion ended up being misfires, in addition to Suicide Squad and Collateral Beauty being huge critical disappointments, although like you said, Suicide Squad at least made a lot of money...but even so that was an ensemble movie with lots of characters and I don't think Smith was ever viewed as a particularly big draw for audiences.

I'm aware he's doing a Max Landis penned Netflix movie that's coming out soon, but even that indicates to me his career seems to be slightly less A-List than what it was, certainly having previously once been one of the top five most in demand actors in all of Hollywood...given the project's nature as something relatively smaller scale. As a consequence, in the last few years, I would have assumed Smith would be more amiable to returning to something like Bad Boys, now that he generally seems to be spending a lot of his time working on slightly lower budget projects.

CREMSteve

Well this sucks. I love me some Bad Boys. Still holding out hope that Bay comes back to it now that Transformers crashed in NA.

dl77

To be honest I can't say I'm not slightly relieved that it seems to have died a death. I think the two mains could still pull it off as, to be fair, they both look good for their ages. For me though, without Michael Bay at the helm I just don't see it working. One of the best parts of the series, and especially in BB2, is the sheer level of 'Bayhem' on show.

I think Joe Carnahan can be a really good director, The Grey is one of my favourite films of the last 10 years, but I just can't see him making a film where a car chase has corpses fall out of vans and have their bodies driven over or have a scene of rats humping not seem out of place!

GodofWine

They should go and reboot this with the two actors they originally considered for the roll in the original Bad Boyz

Jon Lovitz and Dana Carvey - yes, serious.

LifEndz

I have zero doubt it will happen.

It's going to happen.

Sony is gonna Sony but we will get a third Bad Boys.

Same. Will Smith is still in great shape and could use a box office hit. If Martin's not on board, just throw Chris Tucker in there as his replacement
I will avoid it like that plague if that happens

dl77

Maybe for the best, i want Bad Boys not Bad Grandpas.

I think they could still get the job done without the audience thinking "Aren't they too old for this shit?!"

Will Smith especially still looks terrific for someone who's nearly 50:

bright.jpg

Tom Cruise has shown that you don't need to be in your 20's or 30's to be a convincing action lead. Hell he was what? 50, when the first Jack Reacher came out and, for me certainly, he was a great representation of the character.

Zee-Row

Banned
You know what Martin Lawrence movie never gets enough love? Nothing to Lose , I loved that movie. Plus that Coolio song is still dope.

Top Bottom