• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shitty games that your dumb ass paid full price for

MiguelItUp

There's so many, but I think I'll stick with the first ones I can think of.
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Twisted Metal (PS3) - As a huge fan of the series I was let down by it so much. The drastic changes just moved it further away from what made the series amazing IMO. :(
  • Evolve
  • Mortal Kombat X (PC)
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts

MarkusRJR

Watch Dogs
Destiny
MGSV

The three $70-$80 Xbox games (in Canada) I bought at full price, and the three games I absolutely despise out of my collection. Coincidentally, all three are marred by "open world" design, horrible stories, and major disappointments (shitty downgrades for WD, no story/lack of content for Destiny, and so few cutscenes/Chapter 2/that twist for MGSV).

Made me learn the lesson to never get excited by hype, unless it's Nintendo.

Remembered this one thanks to another thread:

250px-Darkspore.jpg

A mediocre online-only, single-player only Diablo clone with a ridiculously bland story.

labx

Banned
Not too shitty (I like the calm island setting), but I agree. I jumped the gun on this one, fell for the hype. My own damn fault since I should have waited for more impressions, oh well. Gonna be more careful next time for any indie game that ask more that $20. Looking at you NMS.

That was my thought yesterday when I was deleting The Witness. NMS, all the hype, the music, the art... Don't buy it anymore. I gonna wait.

MadWorld.jpg

It was fun, just not $50 fun, also Red Steel 2 since I actually spent $70 on that one since it included a Wii Remote Plus.

Luckily I waited a week or 2 and got that it for $20 or $30 (it's approaching 10 years ago so I don't recall specifics), was worth the amount I paid for it. That's especially after I traded it in a week later for almost what I paid for it. $50 was too much.

Tarnpanzer

TESO. I like everything about the game, except the awful boring combat system. Makes the whole game boring for me. Even bought the Imperial Edition...

HF2014

TESO. I like everything about the game, except the awful boring combat system. Makes the whole game boring for me. Even bought the Imperial Edition...

Recently, going with this game too. Totally forgot i bought it full price ( trade in some games but still, got it at full value ) . 2 days later i put it back on sale.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Coming off the Crocodile Dundee movie hype, (hey, I was 11 years old).

220px-Bayou_Billy_box.jpg

Some other people's view of 'shitty', yikes. May not be your cup o' tea, but shitty those are not. This thread is a funny echo in the light of the 'entitle gamers' thread, lol.

vern

Wailai Country Club on N64. Pretty sure my dad was the one who paid full price since I was probably 12 years old. I was big into golf then but that game sucked.

Fallout 3
Really wanted it to be good because Fallout, but they Bethesda'd it.

I also bought Masters Of Orion 3 and Star Control 3...

Oh and Spore. Fuck Spore.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon_Age_2_cover.jpg

Removed races, removed my favorite class specializations, constantly reused environments. Took it back after the game kept freezing in certain cutscenes.

Sporebox.jpg

I was really excited for this too.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
1814909-box_tworlds.png

How oh how could I forget this little gem. I basically ran around the world at random after a while just laying waste to all in my path and stealing the orcs' mounts. It was the only sort of "fun" I could garner from it.

catbrush

Starseed Pilgrim. Made me skip the Witness (for now), realizing that J.Blow's taste in design is polar opposite to my own.

Also: We're Back! A Dinosaur Story on SNES, Sonic 3D Blast, SW Masters of Taras Kasi, SW The Phantom Menace, and Digimon World.

Kickz

Destiny Digital Guardian Edition on the Xbox One

digital-guardian-edition.png

and maybe Star Wars Battlefront on PC the game is great but the low population and some of the problems like the lack of a server browser are really bad I should have bought the game on my PS4 but the graphics *.* also I got the ultimate edition for $74 so it's not that bad
Got this on original release on PS4, one of my worst gaming purchases ever, and highlights the continuing issue of this gen of releasing unfinished games and charging FULL PRICE

chemicals

I was a dumb kid with an NES and 2 games.. Excitebike and Super Mario Bros. Too young to have my own money, my dad says "hey you can get a new Nintendo game when we go to the mall". After mulling over the box art and titles of every game behind the counter at EB games, i chose Spy Hunter.

Spy Hunter arcade was my favorite game at the time and I thought "man, I can't believe I will get to play Spy Hunter at home on my brand new NES". Boy was I disappointed when I played it and realized it was similar to Spy Hunter in name only.

But being a poor kid with a new game, I played the hell out of it until I could play it in my sleep.

Today, I have a PC and XBOX with a combined 300 game catalog. Gamers have it so good now. You youngsters dont even know.

Whompa02

Some games on here are not "shitty"

A game that I bought for full price that was actually shitty though? Resident Evil 6...the pros do not weigh out the cons of that game

dmTbyJ3.jpg

I mean, it wasn't that bad, but I wanted Killer Instinct Gold, and it wasn't in stock in the store, but my mom told me I needed to choose a game or I wouldn't be getting one.

It wasn't bad, just... Boring.

Apt101

SimCity 2013. Ugh. I even purchased whatever super-special edition they had and a gift copy for a friend so we could "play together". I should have just burned the fucking money.

onken

The Evil Within. Bought day 1 through combination of pedigree and GAF hype, this game is janky as fuck and simply not fun. I'm usually pretty careful with my gaming purchases so it doesn't happen too often, fortunately.

mafia-2.png

Mafia II. This game sucks, and two monthas later it was with a huge discount.

Ah yes, Mafia 2. I got about 2/3rds in, got to the end of one particularly long mission where all I had to do was a short driving section and my car kept falling through the road and into infinity. Didn't want to re-do the mission so left it for a few months. When I finally came back to it, my save had been wiped. Fuck that game.

loudbill

Growing up i always tried my best to not buy shit games. It all changed when i got steam. My worst buys would have to be nether, rust, day z, and ace of spades. Nether never worked, rust barely works, and day z is just awful imo. Also ace of spades is terrible.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing that immediately jumps to mind. I researched games a ton back when money was tighter, and now time is tighter (while money isn't a barrier at all for things like a $60 game), so I'm selective due to time constraints. So I mostly stick with the cream of the crop in AAA genres I like.

Any games I've not liked at all have usually been cheaper download titles (indie or big pubs) that I took a risk on since it was cheap and no hassle with selling a physical copy if I hate it (I don't collect or keep games I'm not actively playing).

I got Lair two weeks early because the store broke street date hard, so I couldn't even turn around and sell that shit anywhere for a while - and at my first attempt to they wouldn't take it because they had too many copies being traded back in.

Also to a far lesser extent, Final Fantasy XIII, which while bad (at the time, I've warmed up to it some), wasn't fundamentally broken.

Lebon14

c4p9I8t.jpg

Wasted my bday money on this

What!? That game is awesome! Made me love beetles as a kid, I wanted one as my first car for a long time

Agreed with Lord Of Ostia. This game is amazing and extremely challenging; especially to get all the crates. Controls are tights, environments are amazing, plentiful and full of life.

On thread, I... I don't remember buying a game I regretted purchasing. Maybe New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the 3DS. But even then, it wasn't exactly full price since it was used (35$CAD if I remember - but that's close to MSRP).

Top Bottom