• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shitty games that your dumb ass paid full price for

Halo 2,
going from a hardcore play style on Halo PC to radars on Halo 2 was complete shit, by the time hardcore ladder came around i quit and went back to Halo PC..

Froschi

Taz-Mania in 1992

I was in a big Looney Tunes phase back then and bought this blindly after seeing the (really nice) cover. Turns out the game was a huge stinker; with the exception of the okay graphics everything was just terrible. But alas, as I didn't have much money then and could only afford to buy a new game every four months or so I stuck with it. Played it through many times, never really liked it. Taught me an important lesson: Never buy a game because the cover is nice.

Also the reviews came in about one week after I bought it. Every single one of them warned me of this piece of crap. Well, lesson learnt.

95596-taz-mania-genesis-front-cover.jpg

bengraven

I only pay $60 for games that I know I NEED and like most people on GAF I'm keeping track of how first impressions and reviews are going for something before buying it.

I've rarely had a bad experience. Except once:

I enjoyed the world and loved Nico...for about 3 hours. The car controls killed - I still have yet to beat the train tracking mission and the racing mission that come at the same time and you must finish one or both to proceed.

This may or may not incite some defense posts, but:

MassEffect2_cover.PNG

I actually preordered it and paid for expedited shipping.

In my defense, I was expecting it to live up to Mass Effect. I was very, very wrong.

*shakes head* Sad to hear - it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Taz-Mania in 1992

I was in a big Looney Tunes phase back then and bought this blindly after seeing the (really nice) cover. Turns out the game was a huge stinker; with the exception of the okay graphics everything was just terrible. But alas, as I didn't have much money then and could only afford to buy a new game every four months or so I stuck with it. Played it through many times, never really liked it. Taught me an important lesson: Never buy a game because the cover is nice.

Also the reviews came in about one week after I bought it. Every single one of them warned me of this piece of crap. Well, lesson learnt.

Don't feel bad - this one would have tricked me, too.

Back in the day when they published the full color "maps" of the levels and you could see this UI-less beautiful world it felt like you were looking at a piece of art. (seeing the first screengrabs cobbled together as a map for Aladdin and Lion King also come to mind).

I remember seeing the maps for Tazmania and holy shit did I want to play this game.

Whompa02

Assassins Creed 1 collectors edition. The tin one.

Same with the collectors edition of Price of Persia 2008.

I don't buy collectors editions anymore.

onken

Taz-Mania in 1992

Hey that was a pretty good game, not shitty at all. That mine cart stage though, that beat my 7 year old ass every time.

1. Max Payne 3

Typical disclaimer of 'I'm sure others enjoyed, it's not objectively bad bla bla'. Anyway, I thought it was terrible compared to the previous two. Absolutely none of the same atmosphere or vibe and an utterly obnoxious amount of unskippable cutscenes destroyed anything cool that might've been in there gameplay wise for me. I truly can't stand this game.

The actual gameplay seemed good, I just couldn't get over the fact that the game essentially didn't let me f'ing play for longer than approximately 20 seconds at a time before forcing me to idly stare at the screen for yet another few minutes.

2. Warlock

48371_front.jpg

Loved this stupid movie when I was a kid and of course had to have the video game...well, it was horrible, shock and surprise. One of the first lessons of licensed games sucking of my gaming career.

Liamario

Banned
1. Max Payne 3

Typical disclaimer of 'I'm sure others enjoyed, it's not objectively bad bla bla'. Anyway, I thought it was terrible compared to the previous two. Absolutely none of the same atmosphere or vibe and an utterly obnoxious amount of unskippable cutscenes destroyed anything cool that might've been in there gameplay wise for me. I truly can't stand this game.

The actual gameplay seemed good, I just couldn't get over the fact that the game essentially didn't let me f'ing play for longer than approximately 20 seconds at a time before forcing me to idly stare at the screen for yet another few minutes.

The cutscenes ruined that game for a lot of people. The combat was very solid, but as soon as you started getting into it, there was another nausea enducing cutscene.

The cutscenes ruined that game for a lot of people. The combat was very solid, but as soon as you started getting into it, there was another nausea enducing cutscene.

I mean I was turned off by the entire look and feel to begin with. I loved the whole NYC noir thing the first game had going on especially. Those cutscenes though almost felt like a joke, it's like an endless stream of blue balling.

I'd say.. Unlimited Saga. I opened it, played it for about 2 hours at my friend's house and hated every moment. At that time I was in that phase where it felt like anything with Squaresoft/Square Enix on the front could be nothing short of great, and boy was that a wake up call.

DocEmmettBrown

Neo Member
I saved my allowance for weeks. Went to the store and saw a game with a dinosaur on the cover.

karnov.jpg

I played for 2 minutes and I actually felt sick. "What have I done? My money!!!"

My first case of buyer's remorse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Not because it's a bad game by any means, but because my 37-year-old ass thought I still had the time & energy for these types of games.

To the poster who picked Tazmania, don't be hard on yourself. I used to be a hardcore fan of those Warner Bros. titles. The lush background art and the quirky event animations of those games sold me. I think Ducktales started me on this dark road of gaming ignorance.

BlueWord

L.A. Noire.

Previews (and GAF) had gotten me hyped for a period Phoenix Wright with branching investigation paths. What I got was a game that might as well have just been a tech demo for the facial capture technology. I think there's a lot of potential for a sequel, if it ever materializes: I loved the film noir aesthetic and setting, but the depth was just not there.

jennetics

Street Fighter IV. Bought the collector's edition and a couple months later came the Arcade Edition...and then the Ultimate Edition. I said I'd never buy a Street Fighter again...

But then I bought the SFV Collector's Edition cause I'm a damn sucker :|

NotSelf

I saved my allowance for weeks. Went to the store and saw a game with a dinosaur on the cover.

karnov.jpg

I played for 2 minutes and I actually felt sick. "What have I done? My money!!!"

My first case of buyer's remorse.

I really liked this game I even finished it.

My choice would be Darkman on nes.

deadeye

I remember seeing this game in the store as a kid for the first time, and begged my mom to buy it for me. Oh yes, the good old days of gaming. There wasn't an IGN, GAF, or video reviews. A time when you buy a game just because of the box art and how cool it looked. I def got screwed on a few games because of that, but this is the one that comes to mind as the worst. Got home, put it in my NES, and was instantly like WTF? Running up the street picking up clocks, avoiding oil spills, and then running into two guys holding a invisible glass?? Next stage, I had to throw milkshakes at bully's? Ummm yeah... this game was pretty awful.

BackToTheFutureNESBoxart.jpg

Sanador

Star Trek on PS3
The Walking Dead Survivor game on PS3 (at least the zombie ear key-chain was cool)

I took a twelve step program on pre-orders. Sadly I have relapsed.

Taz-Mania in 1992

All I remember about this game is that it was hard as shit.

dubc35

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Not because it's a bad game by any means, but because my 37-year-old ass thought I still had the time & energy for these types of games.

To the poster who picked Tazmania, don't be hard on yourself. I used to be a hardcore fan of those Warner Bros. titles. The lush background art and the quirky event animations of those games sold me. I think Ducktales started me on this dark road of gaming ignorance.

Ha, I frequently have this conversation with myself (35 here). "Hey that game looks cool....wait when will I ever play it?" I've never played KOTOR and have an OG Xbox. I was going to buy it but then decided I would never have time to play it. I'm lucky if I get 30 min of gaming in a day.

To answer the OP, MGS4. I bought it at launch, played about 30 minutes of it and still have not returned to it, lol.

MrS

Banned
Solstice

Switched it on, started crying at the scary and abrasive soundtrack, turned it off and never played it again. Looking at the box even shit me up a bit.

Top Bottom