• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Borderlands 3 confirmed for third time

Shoeless

I'm in. I've played every Borderlands game with my wife, this will be no exception. With an original PS4 in the house and a Pro, this also means we can play on separate consoles and get the full screen for real estate.

Though that does make me wonder if they will be including LAN options the way games in the past did.

I played 1 & 2 and liked them both, although I preferred Mordecai as my character than any of the options in 2.

I'll probably play this as well, as long as they don't fuck it up. I wish Destiny's skill tree was as fun as Borderlands'.

Rolf NB

Never understood the love for this series . The gunplay is awful .

Fair enough , I've played so many FPS games it's silly and this series is close to bottom in terms of gunplay for me .

Loving the feel of Borderlands gunplay is like loving the headache a brain tumor gives you.

People only like this game for the co op right? The gunplay, art design and 'humour' in Borderlands is simply awful.
The guns shoot where you aim at. That alone is a great, astonishing thing in these modern times.
Totally unlike, say, Destiny. No aim magnetism, no bullet magnetism, no idontknowwhatelse. Such "helpful" "features" are actively abrasive to me. Borderlands gundplay has always been good.

Mawnster

I hope she doesn't.

giphy.gif

cHinzo

Just release that shit already. I'm dieing for a good co-op game! 😭 Gimme Atlas and S&S weapons back and Borderland 1's legendary rarity tiers and I'm happy.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I loved the first two, but I'll be skipping this as I'm not supporting Gearbox after all their Colonial Marines lies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People only like this game for the co op right? The gunplay, art design and 'humour' in Borderlands is simply awful.
I like all of these thing. Well, only the humour in BL2, it was bad in BL1 and TPS.

I can't understand anyone hating the art style. It's too bad it was plagiarized, because it's one of the best part of the games.

The pony thing was dumb, but Tiny Tina's DLC was loads of fun, one of the best DLCs ever made actually.
It was the only dlc I did in ng+ and the skeleton lord things were gigantic bullet sponges out of nowhere and I never went back to it.

Actually never finished the claptrap pre-sequel dlc because of the last boss either

Lanrutcon

No way in hell the sequel will be about the Tales characters. They might (might) be npcs or something, but there's no way they won't use the mainstream cast.

cjp

Why didn't they include the first Borderlands in that collection they did?

I wouldn't mind trying this series but I'm not going to buy a "collection" that doesn't include the first game...

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
And stop with the melee classes in a shooting game

Sword build Zer0s were fun though...

Till you fight a boss and just switch over to guns.

Then you realize they buffed kunai so hard it's pointless playing anything else.

Take unforgiven out for one last joyride. Delete game.

Can't wait for 3...hope it's borderworlds for sure

Sword build Zer0s were fun though...

Till you fight a boss and just switch over to guns.

Then you realize they buffed kunai so hard it's pointless playing anything else.

Take unforgiven out for one last joyride. Delete game.

Can't wait for 3...hope it's borderworlds for sure
I remember being hyped about Zer0 when I first saw the character (played as Mordecai on BL1) then I saw the actual build options... meh. With the exception of the support guy, I feel like BL1 had better characters/builds.

In any case I agree: get rid of melee characters.

In any case I agree: get rid of melee characters.

Brick and Zer0 bored me so much. I just stuck to the sirens, which kept me interested just long enough to beat the story mode and each DLC for both games. Then they put out Krieg and I dumped hundreds of hours into BL2. I was addicted, and the over the top screaming and craziness of Krieg was the main reason why. Though I only played melee for a while initially, then switched over to a Hellborn build with Flame of the Firehawk. Set myself on fire, ran around like a maniac, AoE fire going everywhere, and spraying a fire SMG bullet hose at anything that moved. Then they removed the long-winded ranting when you're on fire and it became less fun, but still the best playable character in either of the games.

I don't even want fans to talk about this game, I want it released yesterday goddamnit. The wait is killing me. I want to forget it exists until it's released. lol

Brick and Zer0 bored me so much. I just stuck to the sirens, which kept me interested just long enough to beat the story mode and each DLC for both games. Then they put out Krieg and I dumped hundreds of hours into BL2. I was addicted, and the over the top screaming and craziness of Krieg was the main reason why. Though I only played melee for a while initially, then switched over to a Hellborn build with Flame of the Firehawk. Set myself on fire, ran around like a maniac, AoE fire going everywhere, and spraying a fire SMG bullet hose at anything that moved. Then they removed the long-winded ranting when you're on fire and it became less fun, but still the best playable character in either of the games.
Hehe, that does sound fun. I never tried the extra characters in the second game, but I really prefer sniper/long distance builds, which is why I loved Mordecai/Bloodwing.

I get that AoE builds are very valuable and people like them because they're useful for solo'ing but I don't like getting in the middle of a bunch of enemies unless I have a devastating attack to clear the room. Otherwise I tend to get stuck when surrounded and die.

Anyway, as long as BL3 has a good sniper class/build, I'll be there eventually. I'm still playing through Destiny with a friend but we loved BL1 & 2 so we wouldn't mind some more.

Wishlist of obvious improvements:
No load times, seamless moving between areas.
Planet hopping? Or at least more varied environments (BL2 improved this).
More vehicles. Mechs and airborne vehicles if possible. Also, remove the limitation of spawning vehicles in specific spots.
Bigger bosses.
BL2 had terrible drops (at least I seem to remember that), so improve drops and loot. If I kill a boss I want a kickass gun as a reward. Make it so I can switch to a better weapon at least every couple of hours.
Keep the skill tree as varied and fun as it's been so far. Don't fuck it up.

I feel like it's only a matter of time before Gearbox ruins this franchise :(

BL2 did that for me when the humor felt like a kid peeing himself intentionally to get a laugh. Tried waaaaay to hard.

The guns also didn't scale well, at least at launch (maybe fixed with DLC or patches?) because no decent gun would stay that way for long. A good loot game lets you feel like a god for awhile before outdating your gear.

And if anything like that damn horse is around, I will not buy it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Zer0 was really fun but I never bothered with the melee tree/build. Never did in these games, they're about all the looted guns after all.

Part of me hopes that they just rip a lot of the abilities from Battleborn and let you create your own class. Also the boss fights in Battleborn are way more interesting than anything they did before so I'm hopeful that their mission design and combat encounters see some improvement.

Hehe, that does sound fun. I never tried the extra characters in the second game, but I really prefer sniper/long distance builds, which is why I loved Mordecai/Bloodwing.

I get that AoE builds are very valuable and people like them because they're useful for solo'ing but I don't like getting in the middle of a bunch of enemies unless I have a devastating attack to clear the room. Otherwise I tend to get stuck when surrounded and die.

It was basically, do fire dmg to something and it sets me on fire. That burns my shield down. The shield I used, once depleted would, repeatedly do AoE fire bursts. Being on fire keeps the shield depleted and pulsing, and increases magazine size and rate of fire. So now I'm firing super fast, with a huge magazine in a fire SMG, and AoE fire pulses. They key to this all is that any fire damage I deal heals me.

UberLevi

Zer0 was really fun but I never bothered with the melee tree/build. Never did in these games, they're about all the looted guns after all.

Yep. I played a Melee build for Krieg in Borderlands 2 and the only weapon ever used was some unique weapon with a bayonet from the Pirate Booty DLC. The game gets a lot less fun when you don't have new weapons to look forward to.

ReaperXL7

It's funny that people want the melee classes gone. Brick and Krieg were the only characters I really enjoyed playing as. Used Assault, shotguns and rocket launchers when I wasn't busy bashing skulls.

alt27

The guns shoot where you aim at. That alone is a great, astonishing thing in these modern times.
Totally unlike, say, Destiny. No aim magnetism, no bullet magnetism, no idontknowwhatelse. Such "helpful" "features" are actively abrasive to me. Borderlands gundplay has always been good.

Are you being serious? Or is this a joke post? I cant tell.

If you are being serious then I dont think you have played many FPS or understand them very well.

Top Bottom