• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Resumes confirm Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV for "Xbox 720"

Dragon

Banned
Xbox 720 would be even dumber than 360. And yet that and the Wii has shown that stupid names for consoles are really inconsequential.

I was told by the myriad of XBOX threads that it will be an underpowered machine simply not capable of playing new games like that in the OP.

I don't believe that was what was stated in those threads at all. The rumored specs have indicated that it is weaker than the PS4 specs. I think that's essentially it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
None of these 3rd party games should be a surprise. It's the lack of announcement from MSFT that's keeping these from formally being unveiled or even talked about as Durango games.

I was told by the myriad of XBOX threads that it will be an under powered machine simply not capable of playing new games like that in the OP.

Where? I'm genuinely curious who would think that.

jaypah

Man, remember when we all thought Watch Dogs was next gen exclusive?

Seeing this unending list of platforms it's on is kind of funny.

Other way around. When it was revealed they would only say "PS3 and 360" so you had people deluding themselves into thinking that the game looked current-Gen while other people were saying, "look at this shit, it's obviously cross-Gen at the least".

720 is probably a placeholder. I doubt MS let them know the real name so soon.

Probably.

But we've also seen an internal doc call it the 720 as well.

It probably will be called "the new Xbox" or the Xbox 720. I think anything else would just create market confusion. Even "the new Xbox" is a little risky. You don't want to end up in a situation like Wii U where people think its just a really expensive add-on for the original system.

I can't believe there are people thinking it will be called Xbox 720...

I can't believe people are discounting this name when from a marketing perspective its really clear what Xbox 720 is-- a successor to the 360.

I know some people make arguments of "oh they can't do that! 720 degrees is 2 revolutions which makes no sense!" or "720 means it plays 720p games!". Honestly, no one cares about that.

Probably.

It probably will be called "the new Xbox" or the Xbox 720. I think anything else would just create market confusion. Even "the new Xbox" is a little risky. You don't want to end up in a situation like Wii U where people think its just a really expensive add-on for the original system.

I can't believe people are discounting this name when from a marketing perspective its really clear what Xbox 720 is-- a successor to the 360.

I know some people make arguments of "oh they can't do that! 720 degrees is 2 revolutions which makes no sense!" or "720 means it plays 720p games!". Honestly, no one cares about that.

I doubt that a programer and a marketing artist from a third party company already know the name of the next Xbox. It would have leaked months ago if many people with similar jobs like them knew about it.

I doubt that a programer and a marketing artist from a third party company already know the name of the next Xbox. It would have leaked months ago if many people with similar jobs like them knew about it.

I never said that they know the name. Even the person who wrote the leaked internal doc did not know the final name. But it is a no brainer. Being a broken record here, but again, if you say Xbox 720 to anyone who knows what an Xbox 360 is, they will instantly know what it means. Just like everyone knows immediately what a PlayStation 4 is. As long as the name fits that requirement (no confusion, people know what it means), its a viable and obvious choice.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
this is all i think of when i hear xbox 720
bnpdgda

Well now you just changed your argument. And even then, what source do you have for this? Is it just your assumption?

Well first of all, it's just common sense, when you're dealing with a highly secretive project feeded out to people on a need-to-know basis.

What is the purpose of ANYONE outside of MS executives / the IEB marketing team knowing the final name? There isn't any.

The more people you expose it to, the more possibility you have for leaks, ESPECIALLY if it goes outside of Microsoft + leaks to third-party vendors / partners. It's much harder to control people outside of the MS ecosystem.

If you develop for Durango, you know the console as Durango. That's why codenames exist.

Reiko

Banned
Probably.

Xbox 720 is a internal running joke from Microsoft.

They paid to have the name be in Real Steel.

Well first of all, it's just common sense, when you're dealing with a highly secretive project feeded out to people on a need-to-know basis.

What is the purpose of ANYONE outside of MS executives / the IEB marketing team knowing the final name? There isn't any.

The more people you expose it to, the more possibility you have for leaks, ESPECIALLY if it goes outside of Microsoft + leaks to third-party vendors / partners. It's much harder to control people outside of the MS ecosystem.

If you develop for Durango, you know the console as Durango. That's why codenames exist.

So everything you say is just your assumptions? That's all I wanted to know.

Z3M0G

When i read ACIV I thought "why??", but I was thinking of the game that is already out... ACIII.

ACIV is not surprising.
Watch Dogs is not surprising.
"X720" is a place-holder.

Top Bottom