• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

klonere

Banned
No it's really really really fucking garbage and I'm glad I stopped watching it. Fuck everyone involved in it's management, creative and marketing. I don't begrudge any of the in ring talent making a paycheque but there are so many incredibly skilled and passionate wrestlers wasting away in the most static, boring, run of the mill, uninteresting, safe, zero vision, corporate, sterile product in the world.

I will now return to posting about my elitist, in a bubble, micro-niche, irrelevant, dangerous, unhealthy, poorly produced, non-mainstream, who-gives-a-fuck puro.

No it's really really really fucking garbage and I'm glad I stopped watching it. Fuck everyone involved in it's management, creative and marketing.

I will now return to posting about my elitist, in a bubble, micro-niche, irrelevant, dangerous, unhealthy, poorly produced, non-mainstream, who-gives-a-fuck puro.

See this is just tedious... You don't watch but feel the need to let everyone know how much you hate the thing you don't watch, that isn't even, in terms of on air product all that horrible, Raw tonight was solid but you wouldn't know because you don't watch but still need to yell about how awful the product is.

No it's really really really fucking garbage and I'm glad I stopped watching it. Fuck everyone involved in it's management, creative and marketing. I don't begrudge any of the in ring talent making a paycheque but there are so many incredibly skilled and passionate wrestlers wasting away in the most static, boring, run of the mill, uninteresting, safe, zero vision, corporate, sterile product in the world.

So basically you don't watch and can't judge the product. K. Nice hyperbowls

klonere

Banned
So basically you don't watch and can't judge the product. K. Nice hyperbowls

See this is just tedious... You don't watch but feel the need to let everyone know how much you hate the thing you don't watch, that isn't even, in terms of on air product all that horrible, Raw tonight was solid but you wouldn't know because you don't watch but still need to yell about how awful the product is.

WWE is the professional wrestling industry for all intents and purposes, for the vast majority of people. They are a talent vaccum. All my favorite wrestlers could be signed tomorrow by them for some dumb-ass tournament that will lead into a gigantic failure of a division. It's impossible to ignore them, as much as one might try.

I'm not hate watching but being in the wrestling bubble means that I am aware of what is happening by sheer osmosis, through it's dense social media presence, podcasts commenting on it in passing etc etc etc. And not being there for the moment to moment...."Moments" just makes it all the more clear that there is no long term vision for anything in the company beyond the drive to push Reigns in the worst ways possible. Everything else is on a dime, on the day planning that could be scrapped at any moment.

Pikma

Banned
You don't need to watch 3-5 hours of that... thing every week to be allowed to express your criticism.

Heroman

Banned
You dont need to watch something to know you think ot bad, like i dont watch the giants or raven play but I they are bad.

klonere

Banned
I'm sorry, the Enzo/Neville, Cruiserweights thing has really gotten to me.

Just let all those dudes work indies while paying them a retainer and scrap 205 Live completely, kinda like the UK guys I guess?

Pikma

Banned
WWE is the professional wrestling industry for all intents and purposes, for the vast majority of people. They are a talent vaccum. All my favorite wrestlers could be signed tomorrow by them for some dumb-ass tournament that will lead into a gigantic failure of a division. It's impossible to ignore them, as much as one might try.

I'm not hate watching but being in the wrestling bubble means that I am aware of what is happening by sheer osmosis, through it's dense social media presence, podcasts commenting on it in passing etc etc etc. And not being there for the moment to moment...."Moments" just makes it all the more clear that there is no long term vision for anything in the company beyond the drive to push Reigns in the worst ways possible. Everything else is on a dime, on the day planning that could be scrapped at any moment.
Add a couple of racist/"patriotic" promos/angles and you got a 10/10 description of modern WWE

Like I said Raw was entertaining, the PPV was mostly solid...

The Reigns and Miz stuff for example was great as well.

But also see if you had written that instead of WWE IS INSANELYBAD !!! an actual conversation could have been had quicker.

And I mean they do have a long term vision for their main title match and they're actually doing a technically good job at doing it. They are building up both the spear and the F5 as world beaters so that when Mania hits the kickouts will mean something.

Hasney

And I mean they do have a long term vision for their main title match and they're actually doing a technically good job at doing it. They are building up both the spear and the F5 as world beaters so that when Mania hits the kickouts will mean something.

No they won't. It will be "Oh, Wrestlemania main event. Wonder how many finisher kickouts there will be".

Hell, we should do a sweepstakes. I'm going for 6.

You dont need to watch something to know you think ot bad, like i dont watch the giants or raven play but I they are bad.

Raw was good, it's weird timing to got on the everything WWE does sucks kick.

I do wonder if some of y'all have some sort of competition on the side for who can express just how much they hate WWE the loudest because there's like a contingent in here who absolutely revel at every chance to loudly bast about how much it sucks and how they aren't watching or even worse hate watching.

Also sports is a bad comparison because there's entire stat lines to which you can see that a team sucks.

That said I just fundamentally don't get dedicating time to discussing something that you hate so much... I don't generally like I dunno romantic comedies but I don't go around yelling about how much they suck...

And no I'm not saying you have to love it, or never criticize, I criticize a fuckton... but it's undeniable that some of y'all just love to be overtly negative to the point of tedium and frankly it makes for a shitty environment sometimes.

No they won't. It will be "Oh, Wrestlemania main event. Wonder how many finisher kickouts there will be".

Well yes they will kickout that's part of the build.... and on paper that will be meaningful because no one had really kicked out much from either finisher in ages... No guarantee it will work but that's what they are doing and it's clearly a pretty well thought out thing..

klonere

Banned
Like I said Raw was entertaining, the PPV was mostly solid...

The Reigns and Miz stuff for example was great as well.

But also see if you had written that instead of WWE IS INSANELYBAD !!! an actual conversation could have been had quicker.

And I mean they do have long term vision for their main title match and they're actually doing a technically good job at doing it. They are building up both the spear and the F5 as world beaters so that when Mania hits the kickouts will mean something.

Dean kicked out of the spear when it was him and Roman for the title three(?) years ago and it got zero reaction. I definitely haven't got the time to go through and figure who who and what has kicked out of a spear but it's the fucking WWE so of course people have.

Ah yes, the same match they've run a version of 4 times? Including one abortive attempt in the Wrestlemania main event? A part-timer known for phoning it the fuck in versus Cena without cool movez and natural promo ability.

I never cared about Roman. Never. He is the zenith of the modern overprocessed WWE performer - solid talent buried beneath layers of marketing guff, useless scripted promos, bizarre up and down booking, signature spot spam and an inring style that is the worst possible combination of indie excess and WWE humdrum.

The indies aren’t safe from this either. I’d say that a lot of indie dudes are what brought that to WWE. Think about Owens and Rollins wrestle or Dean. They’re not exactly great in-ring story tellers. I like Owens but a lot of his matches revolve around 3-4 moves and long standing after big moves.

Pikma

Banned
How is "let's sacrifice everyone else for the sake of building these two guys so that they can have a 10-minute finisher spamfest with a table spot here and there match" something pretty well thought?

Dean kicked out of the spear when it was him and Roman for the title three(?) years ago and it got zero reaction. I definitely haven't got the time to go through and figure who who and what has kicked out of a spear but it's the fucking WWE so of course people have.

Ah yes, the same match they've run a version of 4 times? Including one abortive attempt in the Wrestlemania main event?

I never cared about Roman. Never. He is the zenith of the modern overprocessed WWE performer - solid talent buried beneath layers of marketing guff, useless scripted promos, bizarre up and down booking, signature spot spam and an inring style that is the worst possible combination of indie excess and WWE humdrum.

That's why they are building it up alongside the F5.

You said they had no plan, I merely am showing you they do.

Irrelevant is if you think it's a good plan.

Also to my knowledge Lesnar/Reigns only had that one very fun Mania main event match against each other (that became a triple threat) with their other confrontations being another triple threat match a year and a half ago and the Summerslam 4 way where Reigns fell to one F5. Both of those were great matches too. So what's this 4 times complaint?

How is "let's sacrifice everyone else for the sake of building these two guys so that they can have a 10-minute finisher spamfest with a table spot here and there match" something pretty well thought?

Because building up the finishers is a smart move... Look Strowman was hurt a bit but look at how perfectly they rebuilt him up as an attraction again the next night, wanton destruction of Hawkins and a clean win over Ambrose.

And like I said Reigns/Lesnar have good chemistry so the assumption the match will suck is not founded yet.

But again by all means don't watch if you think it's all going to suck anyway.

Don't ever take my argumentation as me thinking you should watch something you on't enjoy.

Hasney

The indies aren’t safe from this either. I’d say that a lot of indie dudes are what brought that to WWE. Think about Owens and Rollins wrestle or Dean. They’re not exactly great in-ring story tellers. I like Owens but a lot of his matches revolve around 3-4 moves and long standing after big moves.

Totally. I'm not a huge fan of the concept of finishers anyway so I don't mind it, but the fact that anyone will have in their mind that "no-one kicks out of the spear or F5" after like 6 months of trying, no matter how many times Cole screams about it, won't convince anyone but the smallest of children. Especially while other finishers are kicked out of.

I did slightly mark for the OWA being hit on Okada, but if he kicked out of that one, you can't rescue that effect ever again. The genie is out of the bottle and nobody is putting it back in for a spear or an F5 or virtually every persons finisher.

Hasney

I don't think anyone's kicked out of Enzo's finisher. #protected

It wasn't protected in the WWE 2k18 creation video

1Oj9BXN.gif

klonere

Banned
That's why they are building it up alongside the F5.

You said they had no plan, I merely am showing you they do.

Irrelevant is if you think it's a good plan.

Also to my knowledge Lesnar/Reigns only had that one very fun Mania main event match against each other with their other confrontations being a triple threat match a year and a half ago and the Summerslam 4 way where Reigns fell to one F5. Both of those were great matches too. So what's this 4 times complaint?

It's not a special, protected match. We have seen these people interact many times before, in some extremely cringeworthy, amateur ways.

I thought Cena/Reigns was a far, far bigger and much better protected match than Reigns/Lesnar ever was and they blew it all up in one PPV cycle? Lesnar is a part-time blow in with an extremely odd history in the WWE. The lineage of Cena > Reigns is clear, present, obvious and easy to grasp. It should have been a Wrestlemania to Wrestlemania storyline, like Rock/Cena.

We can get away from match quality judgements, as my issue with the WWE style can't really be overcome. But that storytelling that I crave from prowrestling, the WWE is best positioned to deliver that. Detail orientated, multi-month, skit and promo based stories. Nobody else can do that in the industry right now except for WWE. And they don't. You can argue that "Reigns/Lesnar has always been the plan!" and you'd be right, even with the Cena match being the bigger event, in my opinion. But the way they went about both is incoherent as all hell.

Maybe if the Taker match hadn't been such a disaster, if they didn't keep relying on the barely functioning fleshbag that is Taker's body maybe the whole progression would feel smoother.

I don't know. It just feels so all over the place. Inevitable but unsatisfying at the same time. Once again fighting the fan reaction. It doesn't feel like a redemption storyline or Reigns trying to prove himself. It doesn't feel like anything. It's occasional whiz bang fun like the Strowman stuff I guess?

Fuck this is stupid.

It's not a special, protected match. We have seen these people interact many times before, in some extremely cringeworthy, amateur ways.

I thought Cena/Reigns was a far, far bigger and much better protected match than Reigns/Lesnar ever was and they blew it all up in one PPV cycle? Lesnar is a part-time blow in with an extremely odd history in the WWE. The lineage of Cena > Reigns is clear, present, obvious and easy to grasp. It should have been a Wrestlemania to Wrestlemania storyline, like Rock/Cena.

We can get away from match quality judgements, as my issue with the WWE style can't really be overcome. But that storytelling that I crave from prowrestling, the WWE is best positioned to deliver that. Detail orientated, multi-month, skit and promo based stories. Nobody else can do that in the industry right now except for WWE. And they don't. You can argue that "Reigns/Lesnar has always been the plan!" and you'd be right, even with the Cena match being the bigger event, in my opinion. But the way they went about both is incoherent as all hell.

Maybe if the Taker match hadn't been such a disaster, if they didn't keep relying on the barely functioning fleshbag that is Taker's body maybe the whole progression would feel smoother.

I don't know. It just feels so all over the place. Inevitable but unsatisfying at the same time. Once again fighting the fan reaction. It doesn't feel like a redemption storyline or Reigns trying to prove himself. It doesn't feel like anything. It's occasional whiz bang fun like the Strowman stuff I guess?

Fuck this is stupid.

It's absolutely a special protected match... in that it's never actually happened fully on one one.

I mean they literally haven;'t ever had an actual one on one proper match.... and every time they have interacted the matches were good (4.5, 4.5, 4.75 on the Meltzer scale respectively )

Seems a bit silly to complain about being sick of a matchup that's never actually happened.

The Miz stuff with Reigns tonight was also good storytelling, the Reigns stuff with Braun was fun storytelling. Since Mania it's almost absurd to really be all that upset with Reigns, now the Cena I respect you shit? As much fun as it is to look at The Rock stuff with Reigns and draw parallel there (an it's still an accurate one I grant you) it's also literally the new Cena formula... Cena is also going to be around even less than Lesnar... and frankly I don't think a year of "shoots" would have been great.

klonere

Banned
It's absolutely a special protected match... in that it's never actually happened fully on one one.

I mean they literally haven;'t ever had an actual one on one proper match.... and every time they have interacted the matches were good (4.5, 4.5, 4.75 on the Meltzer scale respectively )

Seems a bit silly to complain about being sick of a matchup that's never actually happened.

For all intents and purposes, it did happen once. Ànd I'm not arguing I'm "sick" of it. There is a pretty big gulf between "promotion defining money match" and "over-exposed throwaway". Reigns/Lesnar is still at the top end of the scale but it's not as special as you or the WWE purport it to be.

The build for the original Lesnar/Reigns match was a singles match. Rollins was not involved. The majority of the match was a singles match The plan was for Roman to win. Rollins himself only found out during the show he was winning it. (I know LOL SHEETZ but it was reported by Dave and PWInsider independently). And just from today's story about the Festival of Friendship stuff being argued over just as it happened, that seems very likely.

And even if they haven't done a singles match, they've been in the ring, in segments, promo packages, clips, stories, an incredible volume of media together. It absolutely is not a protected match in my mind. They haven't been kept apart in a meaningful way for the time that separates us from the original match. And as I said before, I really didn't enjoy any of the big multiman clusterfucks at all beyond a surface "oh cool a table spot" level.

For all intents and purposes, it did happen once. Ànd I'm not arguing I'm "sick" of it. There is a pretty big gulf between "promotion defining money match" and "over-exposed throwaway". Reigns/Lesnar is still at the top end of the scale but it's not as special as you or the WWE purport it to be.

The build for the original Lesnar/Reigns match was a singles match. Rollins was not involved. The majority of the match was a singles match The plan was for Roman to win. Rollins himself only found out during the show he was winning it. (I know LOL SHEETZ but it was reported by Dave and PWInsider independently). And just from today's story about the Festival of Friendship stuff being argued over just as it happened, that seems very likely.

And even if they haven't done a singles match, they've been in the ring, in segments, promo packages, clips, stories, an incredible volume of media together. It absolutely is not a protected match in my mind. They haven't been kept apart in a meaningful way for the time that separates us from the original match. And as I said before, I really didn't enjoy any of the big multiman clusterfucks at all beyond a surface "oh cool a table spot" level.

They'll have had 3 confrontations in what will have been 3 years by the time Mania rolls around... and never one a fully singles match.

It really doesn't matter what was or wasn't planned 3 freaking years ago, reality is the match was a triple treat by the end.

I'm literally looking forward to it because Lesnar can still go when he wants to and that original match was fucking great. It's absolutely a big match but again I'm not telling you to like any of it, my initial point here was you said they had no plan and I think I've at least demonstrated they do.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How was Raw? Heard it was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing it today.

klonere

Banned
They'll have had 3 confrontations in what will have been 3 years by the time Mania rolls around... and never one a fully singles match.

It really doesn't matter what was or wasn't planned 3 freaking years ago, reality is the match was a triple treat by the end.

I'm literally looking forward to it because Lesnar can still go when he wants to and that original match was fucking great. It's absolutely a big match but again I'm not telling you to like any of it, my initial point here was you said they had no plan and I think I've at least demonstrated they do.

Okay they have a plan but it's a tattered, hole-filled and weak plan that will lead to something like what Flammable linked above.

As far as the quality of match, ultimately that is not what I would watch WWE for because there are so many other promotions out there putting on better matches, more consistently, with better crowds, production and presentation. I want WWE to tell cool pro wrasslin stories and they have proven they fucking can't.

Okay they have a plan but it's a tattered, hole-filled and weak plan that will lead to something like what Flammable linked above.

As far as the quality of match, ultimately that is not what I would watch WWE for because there are so many other promotions out there putting on better matches, more consistently, with better crowds, production and presentation. I want WWE to tell cool pro wrasslin stories and they have proven they fucking can't.

At that point to each their own...

There are some good stories going on: KO vs Shane, the stuff with The Miz vs Reigns is good building towards full on Shield, Bliss and Mickie had a really good confrontation tonight, Tag title stuff on both shows.

I'm glad we ended up having a legit conversation btw.

klonere

Banned
At that point to each their own...

There are some good stories going on: KO vs Shane, the stuff with The Miz vs Reigns is good building towards full on Shield, Bliss and Mickie had a really good confrontation tonight, Tag title stuff on both shows.

I'm glad we ended up having a legit conversation btw.

Me too! Too much time on my hands at this conference I probably shouldn't be at but am being paid to be nonetheless.

Laws00

Me and my friend have ragged on Mickie James since she's come back. How she looks like one of those moms you find at a bar who's on last call who should be at home taking care of her kids.

She looked GOOD out there for looking like an "old lady"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what the FUCK is the point of humiliating Enzo week after week...but also giving him the title? like what?

WHAT? o_O

The Enzo and cruiswerweight stuff confuses me. Who was meant to be the heel? To me Enzo is the heel. But the WWE didn't do enough to make the crowd boo him because despite his shitty cheating ways, they still cheered for him. So when Neville beat him up that was a face move, but the crowd didn't know what to do because he's meant to be a heel. I'm not sure what they're going for.

I know, it'll just be a one time thing but I'm into Braun and the Cruiserweights.

Or a short-running Braun/Neville tag team since it looks like neither's going to be in any title picture for a while. Have Neville do a Red Arrow off of Braun.

Oh, and of course Bray/Finn is still a thing, we've got Hallowe'en next month thing of all the "spooky" potential on offer.

Top Bottom