• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

short story title help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

I don't know if it will make any difference in the judging or not but I don't want to take a chance.

I'm submitting a short story for a local publishing house contest tomorrow and I haven't yet settled on the title. The story is about a bank robber who begins to lose all memory of events that happen in between bank heists. After he successfully opens a bank vault he blacks out and suddenly regains consciousness in the middle of another bank heist. He has to glean information about how he's spending his life from his accomplices and it's not exactly what he had in mind.

The title is either going to be the simple "Cracking" (the working title) or "In Between The Cracks".

Is the second one just too much of a pun? Any suggestions are appreciated.

SD-Ness

Iceman said:
I don't know if it will make any difference in the judging or not but I don't want to take a chance.

I'm submitting a short story for a local publishing house contest tomorrow and I haven't yet settled on the title. The story is about a bank robber who begins to lose all memory of events that happen in between bank heists. After he successfully opens a bank vault he blacks out and suddenly regains consciousness in the middle of another bank heist. He has to glean information about how he's spending his life from his accomplices and it's not exactly what he had in mind.

The title is either going to be the simple "Cracking" (the working title) or "In Between The Cracks".

Is the second one just too much of a pun? Any suggestions are appreciated.
The "cracks" thing isn't working for me. Did you introduce the theme of "cracking" into the story? I'm not really liking what I'm coming up with, but: "In Between Heists," "An Oscillating Memory," "From Heist to Heist." Meh.

android

Theoretical Magician
I like "In between the cracks"
How about

"Memory Banks"

"All is forgotten"

"One too many"
I'd like to read it if possible.

kumanoki

"What Was Stolen..."

"Robbed"

"Just Hold-Up A Minute"

I like "From Heist to Heist". That's pretty good. Sounds like J.G. Ballard, or something.

Iceman

I use the word "crack" a lot as a shorthand for cracking a safe or vault, if that helps.

It's 2500 words, I'm pretty sure the whole story won't fit in a PM.

And honestly, I don't know how good it is (maybe it sucks) but I'd rather not have a gaggle of gaffers pretending that the story is theirs and shopping it around to publishers. You understand.

android

Theoretical Magician
And honestly, I don't know how good it is (maybe it sucks) but I'd rather not have a gaggle of gaffers pretending that the story is theirs and shopping it around to publishers. You understand.
Sure. Will we be able to read it online or elsewhere after you submit it?

Iceman

I'll email it to you if you're interested.

I have no idea about what these guys are going to do with the entries. I'm going for the money though. $250 first prize and cash prizes for 2nd and 3rd place as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom