• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should English be renamed American?

I was just thinking about this the other day as I was binge watching through Netflix. The English language is now essentially a language that is being directed and repurposed by the people of the United States, who are much more numerous and influential than our English cousins.

So I think at this point in time it would probably be better if the language was renamed American or North American to signify the difference in our modern day parlance and how it is the United States that represents the language the most.

What do you think?

P.S I don't want no hate from English people before you all get mad and spill your tea cups all over the floor. It is nothing personal it's just your country is very much an irrelevance on the world stage and language evolves.

fatmarco

I was just thinking about this the other day as I was binge watching through Netflix. The English language is now essentially a language that is being directed and repurposed by the people of the United States, who are much more numerous and influential than our English cousins.

So I think at this point in time it would probably be better if the language was renamed American or North American to signify the difference in our modern day parlance and how it is the United States that represents the language the most.

What do you think?

P.S I don't want no hate from English people before you all get mad and spill your tea cups all over the floor. It is nothing personal it's just your country is very much an irrelevance on the world stage and language evolves.
I mean there's literally more English speakers outside of America than within so, no.

What do you think?

I'm English and I Americanize everything, makes more sense to me, and pisses people off.

A) Do any of y'all fine folks in here speak American?

Versus

B) Excuse me old chap, do you happen to converse in the English language?

A is by far the most sexier, masculine way of speaking. 85% more guaranteed to get you laid and comes with 100% less monarchy.

Let's teach the world to speak American.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Versus

A is by far the most sexier, masculine way of speaking. 85% more guaranteed to get you laid and comea with 100% less monarchy.

A) How many guns y'all own?
vs
B) I say good fellow, do you happen to own a fork?

T8SC

46311616.jpg

I am especially interested in what any of our Latvian members have to say about this topic. Maybe it is too emotive a subject for the English and the Americans to discuss. We need a neutral country that barely anybody even knows exists to show us the way.

GAMETA

Banned
Well, I on the other hand think "Americans" should be called "United Statesians".

You see, America is the continent, Canada is in America, Mexico is in America... then you go a bit further down, and Brazil, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and many many others are within the Americas too.

So basically you're all fake pretentious non-schooled people that think you own a continent and speak a language that isn't yours.

What a shame. Let's not even start with the wrong measurement system and the egg-ball you call football, alright? There's also the Wright brothers fake flight too... ohhh damn, you guys...

QSD

A) How many guns y'all own?
vs
B) I say good fellow, do you happen to own a fork?
I hope you aren't stealth telling us you put a gun in your mouth on the daily here, bro. Keep the faith.

LOL yeah, the way I see it, America has 2 lying, cheating, stealing aristocracies that compete with one another for how craven and corrupt they can possibly get
Britain has just 1

what's better? :messenger_winking:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Hey yeah, true. American, a language developed by the people of the US and Canada, and shipped overseas to the lethargic English, once proud creators of their own language.
I know our resident Brits will choke on their crumpets reading this, but with time comes change. It's time we move forward.

Soodanim

You might want to have a word with Mexico about the name of their language too if you want to take it there. Might as well do Australia, too.

Americans don't put the emphasis in the right place when they say "Cunt", so British English wins.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's like asking a 4 year old to rewrite the dictionary.
I know, how bout we just rename US English to Simplified English.
It'll be a little bit more accurate then.
After all most of their alternative spellings are missing vowels.
In hindsight it seems to be more of spelling problem more than anything.

Interesting fact
"wimmen" instead of "women" was originally suggested as another change in the English Language that Webster push but was ultimately rejected.

Last edited:

Jezbollah

No. English shouldnt be renamed American, because English use it, and we and the language have been around a little longer than you :)

I'm in full support of English (American) or Simplified English though. But keep your greasy paws off our language xoxo.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

Versus

A is by far the most sexier, masculine way of speaking. 85% more guaranteed to get you laid and comes with 100% less monarchy.

This is prime, socially insecure over-think right here.

Literally reads like someone who hovers around outside a venue mulling over what introduction to make, the greetings they should use, the tone they should adopt and what verbal twang will be most accepted by the as yet unknown occupants that await

And then followed by the insight into the driving foce of their internal debate - an assessment of their choice with tellingly choice descriptors such as "masculine", "sexy", "guaranteed to get you laid"

Lad, if you've got to put that much thought into it then you aren't going to be getting any... and attributing the language you speak to another name isn't going to help you or anyone else with that.

Literally reads like someone who hovers around outside a venue mulling over what introduction to make, the greetings they should use, the tone they should adopt and what verbal twang will be most accepted by the as yet unknown occupants that await

And then followed by the insight into the driving foce of their internal debate - an assessment of their choice with tellingly choice descriptors such as "masculine", "sexy", "guaranteed to get you laid"

Lad, if you've got to put that much thought into it then you aren't going to be getting any... and attributing the language you speak to another name isn't going to help you or anyone else with that.

No. English shouldnt be renamed American, because English use it, and we and the language have been around a little longer than you :)

I'm in full support of English (American) or Simplified English though. But keep your greasy paws off our language xoxo.
Stone Cold GIF by memecandy

Last edited:

Ever so sorry Nigel old boy but I don't quite understand a single word of your post.

Could you repeat it once more but this time in American?

Jolly good.

What do you think?

Fuck off you yanky, cuntwomble, wankstain, cum bandit.

Queen Elizabeth Government GIF

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Ever so sorry Nigel old boy but I don't quite understand a single word of your post.

Could you repeat it once more but this time in American?

Jolly good.

Nah, mate.

Look it's dead easy like. Pretendin' yer patter is in anuva cuntry's name ain't gunna git yer pee pee polished. Birds'll just think yer a ponce and the only Yee-Haw Yank your night'll see is gunna be the commiseratory action you apply to yer little shooter in the bog 5 minutes before last orders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom